Options

POSE Method of running?

Comments

• Options

>>I don't really have that much money to just spend.

The Posetech forum is a great resource, and it's free.

• Options
    No I'm talking about the pose clinics, I was thinking of going to one and I asked people what they thought a few days ago. Yes this forum is great you get the most advice here than anywhere, there are so many people that no what they are talking about and people trying to learn.
  • Options

Yeah I remember. image

http://www.posetech.com is the Pose forum.  There's lots of help there and it costs nothing.

• Options

Ye I've been reading stuff on the POSE site, there are so many articles on there! Cheers image

• Options

Nice set of frees nrg look warm n cosy

• Options

Hi Leanne, well I was thinking more about the forum rather than the articles (articles are very good too though).  If you're not doing the clinic due to money issues then I think it's worthwhile posting drill videos for feedback on there.  It is probably the second best way of learning after a clinic since it provides (almost) direct feedback on how you are progressing.

• Options
    Has anyone seen the POSE DVD - Do you have to wear grey shorts to wear them?
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

Leanne: Really try to relax and chill when you do the drills. Just follow the section 1 drills for now and practice them at least 10-15 mins daily. Try to make sure your moves are of high quality - don't worry about intensity. Listen carefully to what the narrator says and just try to follow instructions the best you can. If you feel tension anywhere then in the first instance try to relax that part perhaps you need to adjust your posture and/or limit your range of motion. As well as this I would recommend you practice the drills infront of a mirror ideally a full-length dressing mirror will suffice. Try to emulate your movements and posture like Dr R. As glopglop says when you can get a friend to video you running across (sideways on) for just 20-30metres. If you upload the clip to googlevideo then we can download it and step through it frame-by-frame using Apple QuickTime.

• Options
    Leanne: The FiveFingers should be excellent POSE shoes, we are just not used to how they look. They will actually help you to learn POSE faster and strengthen your feet and then you will not need any orthotics. Shouldn't need orthotics for POSE anyway. Would have got a pair myself but found some H Streets cheaper first. Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    nrg: Have just entered the Reading HM. Look forward to seeing you again ITRW. What sort of time are you aiming at?
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    GP: Sub-1:40 but sub-1:30 would be awesome. And you? Whereabouts you staying as I haven't booked yet.
  • Options

Hey Nrg-b Morgan, our triathlon coach has a video of my running, I will ask him if he knows how to do this googlevideo you talk about.

My acupuncture seems to be working (I am reluctant to get too excited just yet) but I did an 8 mile run 7:41 m/miles and it is ok today two days after which is when I was getting the stiffness. With a 74 mile bike in the intervening day I don't seem to be suffering as much as before.

• Options

nrg: Haven't organised accomodation yet,  although it is just within driving range with an early start. My last half was 1:32:57 just pre POSE, but haven't gone further than 5 miles since. Would love to crack 1:30 not having done so for many a year. Should be interesting!

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

monique: We adapt so easily that I sometimes wonder if long term niggles become almost a source of perverse comfort ??? You can always just email me the file.

GP: I'll need to find somewhere to stay.

• Options
    nrg: Hotels list on the Reading HM website under Info. Madjeski Millenium from £100+ to Reading Travelodge from £19.
  • Options

Hi I've been running in using the pose method this week as well as for the last week and a half and started to get ankle pain on the inside of my foot, I ran wednesday a 13 mile run and couldn't run for two days due to a bad ankle and calves and then I felt okay yesterday and did a 10 and a half mile run but today my ankles are killing! They hurt when I walk down the stairs the most but generally just hurt when I walk. Just wondering if anyone has any idea if I'm doing something slightly wrong or my ankles are just strengthening up and I've done a bit much? Is it possible to pronate when doing the pose method as I have dropped arches as I mentioned a few weeks ago and if this could be causing the problem. I don't really want to get orthotics  made unless I have to because I don't think they should be needed once I get the pose method perfected. 

Also if I am doing track sprinting say 400 metres and above what is the correct way to use the pose method, should I have a forward lean of my whole body and still just pose fall and pull very fast?

I will try and get a video done sometime and post it thanks

leanne x

• Options

Hi Leanne do you have the Pose book?

If so have you managed to have a look at it yet?

• Options

Leanne, it really is not recommended to run 13 miles and try to learn running using the Pose Method at the same time. In answer to your question, technique is the same whatever distance or speed we choose to run. I use the same technique when jogging slowly, or sprinting 100m. 

Start by reading the book, then move to the DVD and start with the section 1 drills (do them together with Dr Romanov on the telly). The drills are there to help your body undestand how it needs to be aligned and what the legs need to be doing when you run for real.  Spend 5 mins on the first few drills and follow each one with a short run of about 30mtrs.  You can repeat the drills followed by run for a few sets. If you are serious about learning to run Pose, then this will be your running protocol for at least the next 3 weeks. After that time you can start to increase the run distance slowly.  It would be useful if you could send us some videos of your drills so we can help you with any early mis-interpetations.

You will have to make a decision on whether you want to stop your long trainining distances or learn Pose, there are no magic pills that will allow you to do both for the moment.  Rest your ankles and take that as your body's hint that its going to need some more time adjusting to a new way of moving.

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

Leanne: 13miles? Waaaaaay to much too soon. You must understand that trying to give you specific instruction on a text based forum (not even a videoclip of your running style) is really amazingly hard. So in general terms, all I can say is that you might be making typical beginner's mistakes such as:

- focussing on landing hence calves are too tense. Relax those lower legs! Don't think about landing.

- holding the heel off the ground (ie clear daylight under heels). Ignore the heel. Just feel your bodyweight on the ball of your foot.

- landing ahead hence creating a braking motion and will cause you to land on the outer lateral edge of your foot. You must try to land closer in ideally under your GCM. Pose drills will help you achieve this to land directly under and also to land squarely on the BOF.

• Options

Nice to have you back nrg. I'm taking a week or so break as of Monday on posting on here and fetch to get back to focus on real running. Too much science and "required proof" = paralysis.  I'm going to just run based on a feeling of lightness when I change support; god Pose is so simple if you let it happen.

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    jonp: indeed !
  • Options
    Have a good time Jon - You are right of course
  • Options
    Leanne:  Just to make it clear we really are suggesting runs down to 30/50 yards at a time. Drill, run, drill, run etc. When you are feeling more confident then do maybe 100/200 yards in the same way. Then slowly build up your distance. Even if your technique is good, you will be using different muscles/ligaments etc which take time to adapt to the distance.
  • Options
    I know I shouldn't be posting on here today image.  BUT...I really wanted to say congratulations to Grey Pilgrim on his coaching certification image
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    GP: Wow! What's the news? Congrats!
  • Options

Oh wow well done GP image

I have to be honest I noticed your coach status on Posetech the other week, I assumed it had been there a while since you meantioned the coaching clinic you attaneded a while back.

Congrats. image

• Options

Congratulations GPimage

• Options

Well thank you all!

jonp:  gg:  Either of you guys could become coaches as well.  Could probably be arranged with Doc R at CTs Loughboro  Clinic weekend.

• Options
    I saw that GP well done
  • Options
    nrg: How's it going losing those 2 extra Christmas llbs? Are we still on for the Reading HM?