Options

POSE Method of running?

Comments

• Options

Would the Nike vaporfly be a good shoe for this style, i currently use airspan's

Im a new runner forefoot striker only been running 3months since i restarted after 10years absents

• Options
    Hi Starkiller: In short - I doubt it!    It is nice and lightweight but it looks to be a racing shoe for conventional heel strikers. It stll looks to have thick shock absorbing midsoles and raised heels. A critical aspect of efficient running is not only landing on the forefoot but that the landing occurs under your hips. It is this which makes thick midsoles unnecessary. In order to get your forefoot to land at this point you have to get your foot off the ground as soon as possible using the elasticity in your lower leg after striking the ground, it is this which makes thick shock absorbing midsoles actually detrimental to efficient running. Prior to converting to POSE I ran in Nike Air Zoom Elites but after a year in Puma H streets those Elites now feel clumpy, sludgy heavy and slow.
  • Options

Thanks, where can you get this from in UK?

I cant find them, have they been discontinued? 

• Options

Starkiller: The H Streets have been discontinued for a while I got mine on Ebay. Here is a link you might find useful http://www.posetech.com/runningshoes/archives.html

• Options

Hi,

I read the pose book learnt all the different things in it and on the Dvd, I also brought some five fingers. I found the fivefinger shoes rubbed my little toes so much they were bleeding and I have tried them a few times, they feel fine and comfy and good to walk it but running just rubs too much. I even tried them with toe socks but still the same, eventualy they took my little toe nail off!! Bit extream! so I went back to normal asic nimbus trainers.

I found it was slower using the pose method and did not cure my injury problems, some of the things I lernt helped a lot like landing in the middle of my foot and under the centre of mass. People say my running looks quite relaxed, I think I have changed from a heal striker because of the result. But I think some of the things of pose have to come natural. When trying too hard I find it can make it not so natural.  

I had fallen arches and platar facitis but now everything is a lot better without orthotics, my veiw is to land in the general centre of mass it really does help running and to keep a big stride. I run internationally so I think some things work. Don't know how other people feel?

Leanne

• Options
    Hi Leanne: Your experience with the Five Fingers is good to hear.even if they did not work out for you. Trying too hard is a problem we all suffer from at times. I get round it by thinking of it this way. My body knows what to do if I place it in the right position, so I think good posture and the legs do the right thing on their own. Unfortunately POSE is not an instant solution to running and injury problems, even if you are able learn it to a good standard quickly it still takes time for your body to adapt. I hope that given more time your times will improve. Do you have any video of you running?
  • Options

Right I have a bit of a trainer dilemma, will be running London next weekend, I have done a long run of 19 in my really minimal adidas racing flats and found uncomfortable mainly due to the thiness of the sole on canal towpaths, so did the 23 mile run in a pair of Mizunos (pre pose shoes) which are neutral but with the usual lumpiness in the heel, which were great, then when I did a 17 in them I got a blood blister on the ball of my foot.

Bearing in mind that I am not doing any more long runs I am wondering whether to wear the MIzunos, or the adidas, (or one of eachimage) or some other adidas racing shoes which are nearing the end of their life but comfy,

Hmmmm I can't decide

• Options
    I also want to point out that my total mileage since January 1st will be substantially under 200 miles, it will be something of a miracle if I run under 3:15 and yet it seems to be possible from times/runs I have done recently. What is the lowest mileage done in training for a marathon by anyone using pose I wonder........
  • Options
    Monique: Shoes, thats a hard choice, my vote is for the flats as there are no lumps (apart from a few yards of cobbles) on the London course. For low mileage and marathons try Christine Chen http://www.posetech.com/services/christinechen.html Christine does have a very economical technique.
  • Options

I will run in flats tonight at the club and make the choice then, as I expect I will run at marathon pace. Flats was what I was thinking,

hmmm Christine Chen knocked 25 minutes off her marathon pb on 35 miles a week, but doesn't say what her time was,...

Anyway I am not going for a pb, just a sub 3:15, maybe that sub three will happen next year now I have got used to running like this.

• Options

I notice the flat shoes recommended for pose running do not have an achilles notch in the back of the shoe like a standard running shoe. Does this cause any achilles probs with friction over the tendon area?

• Options

Monique: I'll see if I can do sub 3 next year too!

Siance: Achilles notch - Not that I have heard of. The backs of my H streets are as high as the low part of the cut-away in the old pair Nike Pegasus I am currently wearing (for gardening in). Perhaps the flexibility that is a requirement of a good POSE shoe makes it less of a problem. For a selection of shoes try here http://www.posetech.com/runningshoes/archives.html

I saw your post on the POSE site and I left it hoping Cabletow would answer as he has some Chi experience. also he is a GP and a Physio as well as a POSE coach and so best placed to answer most of your queries.

• Options

Cheers GP, he's replied.

• Options
    Just got back from Afghanistan with 40 Commando RM.  Awesome tour, but my Puma H-Streets are trashed.  (Holes in the uppers).  I need new ones.  Got my last pair on eBay, but cannot find a pair anywhere.  Any ideas on where I might find a pair?
  • Options
    Hi Charles: Glad to hear you made it back. I have a spare pair of streets size 8 UK 42 EU if you happen to be that size.
  • Options

Hey guys, not ben here for a bit, good to see people posting.

Charles, you could try the Puma Saloh which is the updated H-Street.  They had loads of different colours in  the Puma shop in the Trafford Centre (Manchester), so I'm sure you'll be able to get them direct from Puma on line.  Sizing is the same as the H. 

• Options

I bought two pairs of Salohs. I think they're just as good as H Streets, except perhaps in really hot weather. The tops are not mesh, but leather.

• Options

Just popping in to say how well London went, in spite of only 170 miles of running this year, managed a 3:15 marathon, used racing flats and really paced pretty well throughout. would have come under I think if I had not had the Garmin cut out, so no splits not even mile ones to guide me in the last 6 miles. The running technique certainly works though, felt the best ever in a marathon, so maybe next year I will be able to put a bit more training in and go for that sub 3 I have been after for years.

Toenails a bit bashed, and ached yesterday but was the most comfortable finish ever for me.

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

Return of the AWOL Poser - moi! image

CM: Good to have you back! How's the achilles? Here's a secret about the shoes. Don't tell anyone. It is not the shoes. It is about running skill. You have the skill. As long as the shoe is flat, minimal, flexible then wear whatever you like.

Monique: Well done on a superb time. Was it a PB? In any case, it sounds like you could go faster...

• Options

Had an interesting chat with Moniqure in the pub afterwards, and I've decided to give POSE a go.    So - with that in mind - a few questions that I hope you guys can help out with.

1) WHere can I try on some of these shoes?  I know I can get them online, but since I've never had shoes like this before, and often not shoes by the same manufacturer, I have no idea on what would be the right size, so I want to ac tually check for fit first?

2) Bearing in mind I'm a student at the mo and short of money - what's the best package to get.  I couldn't afford a trainign camp thing, but what should I get.  Just the book?  Or just the video, or both (think I could stretch to that)

3) I have one leg longer than the other.  A heel raise sorted this out when running heel-strike, but what to do with POSE?  Do I need to stick something in the forefoot of the shoe, or will I just be imbalanced?  If so then how might this affect other stuff?

4) NRG-B - are you still doing POSE nights in London? 

Thanks in advance guys! 

• Options

Hi XFR Bear

Not sure about 1

But 2 try starting here (it's free)  www.posetech.com lots of info but you might have to search around a bit. I suggest the book and video as they complement each other, leave the shoes until later if you have to.

3 Uneven leg length shouldn't make too much difference. Padding out the forefoot would tend to defeat the object of having minimalist shoes, so don't until you feel you have to.

4 Nrg over to you...

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

XFRBear:

1. Get some shoes which are flat, low heels and flexible around the BOF area. I would recommend Nike Frees but then the heel cushioning is too much (unless you mutilated it).

2. I'd get the Pose Book and DVD.

3. I'm no expert, but unless your leg length differences are severe that it affects everyday movement (including walking) I would not worry. The ground we run on is not a flat uniform terrain. You constantly have to adjust for pavements, ruts in the ground etc etc etc. All these differences in the ground will probably override any leg differences you have. Also, when you land with a bent knee on the BOF, the ankle and knee joints are flexed. That flexing should (could?) help correct for the differences in leg lengths. In other words, by trying to minimise vertical oscillation (a cornerstone of Pose) you will automatically address for leg length differences.

4. I wasn't but if we round up a few people then it would be fun and useful for all.

• Options

XFR I have answered on Fetch (the same answers as nrg) - if you go for the free then go for the free 3.0

I would be up for a London thang

• Options
    But dont hurt me nrg
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

CT: Do as I say, don't do as I do?

Please add your name if you're interested in coming to an informal pose training session - date & venue tbd though St James Park has been used in the past. We spend about a third of our time drilling/running. The rest is spent gossiping, gassing and generally being incredibly stupid to the amusement of commuters. 

City Poseur List: nrg-b, cabletow, XFRBear.

Anyone else? Charles?

• Options

Sounds good to me nrg-b.

Think I might try my rubber windsurfy/kayaking shoes for starters.  Not sure they'll last long on roads but would probably be okay on grass for a bit.  WIll have a loo round the shops too.

The PSEtech website seems to be in dollars - will it cope with me paying in English money? 

• Options
    XFR Bear You should be able to get the Book and Video from Coach Oleg in Reading at http://www.posetech.com/services/olegtimoshin.html and so avoid having to have them posted from the States.
  • Options

cheers GP image

Just ordered the DVD and book - let's hope they help me!