Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options
    Currently have a leg injury and I haven't run since Tuesday! Seeing fizz on Monday for help and a diagnosis
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dave,

I picked up some sort of calf pull on Sunday (not a tear and not AT, as I initially feared).  Had two fizzio sessions and am authorised to try 3 or 4 miles today or tomorrow.  Kind of scared to run now, because in my heart I know that if there's any pain I won't be able to run next weekend, but at the same time the not knowing is pretty grim.  It's weird doing proper tapering behaviour (off the booze, etc.) but knowing that I may well not race.  I don't want to race unless I can make it a real PB attempt, so the calf needs to be close to A1 OK.

Fingers crossed for both of us, eh?

• Options

Jookska/Dave A - what a nightmare.  Hope you both get the all clear.  Friend of mine picked up calf injury just before London and started anyway expecting to have to pull out after a couple of miles but made it to the end in PB time.  He said it was almost disappointing when he realised the calf was going to be ok as he was not mentally prepared to deal with a marathon!  So keep the faith and stick to the taper plan.

Emer

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Struggled with a chest infection since Monday - on anti-biotics (day 4) but won't go. Still managed a 6-miler on Thursday and interval session last night (5x1Ks with 400m recoveries). Hope to be fighting fit by next Sunday!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well, I managed my prescribed 3 miles at about 7.40m/m.  All I need to do is manage another 23.2 at about 45 secs/mile faster!  See what physio says about the leg on Tuesday - the difficulty about the anti-inflammatories is that they could well be masking pain!
  • Options

I've booked fizz for Monday evening. Had a real good breakthru with the injury yesterday. I managed a really good stretch of it just before work and gradually throughout yesterday the pain and discomfort I've been getting has really eased off (to almost nothing). I had a stretch before bed last night/this morning. During the past week I've had real stiffness and aching around my leg because of it, not today tho, so things are lookig up.

A couple of days ago I'd almost resigned myself to nit running next weekend, now I've been given a huge boost. Gonna rest it until tomorrow evening and see what the fizz reckons, but things are looking better image

• Options

A few folk suffering injury worries etc - hope you all manage to pull through in time for next Sunday.

Last long run for me yesterday - Jog Shop Jog - started and finished in Brighton Marina - 20 mile loop including a long stretch on the South Downs and some BIG hills - started off running through the morning mist and finished in bright warm sunshine - glad to have done it although legs are sore today and knee on rhs is troublesome. Rest today, club runs Tuesday and Thursday (sports massage Wednesday) and that will be my lot until Sunday.

• Options
    Hi all, hope the injuries all clearing up, ditto chest infections, coughs, colds and sneezes. On schedule with training and jogged roun Cardiff Half as 1.45 pacer. Flat, so good training for next weekend. Should eb good weekend with rugby and the race. Is anyone meeting up afterwards and if so, where?
  • Options

Hi Gys. Yes good luck with the injuries.

Looking like a fab weekend ahead with the Rugby result on Saturday.

I will have save my celebrations until after the race if we win.

• Options

Even I will be hoping for an England win

(Welsh) Musketeer

• Options
    Afternoon all, nice to see you are all as stressed out as me! I to am trying to keep my distance from anybody who so much as sneezes anywhere near me. I think I'm getting paranoid!! Did my last long one yesterday of 10 miles and ran the Kenilworth half the week before to bang on marathon pace so finished in 1hr 45min exactly, now that's pacing!

What's the general thinking on the two weeks post race and the time for recovery? It's not very well written about. Well not in the books and magazines that I have anyway. I've got a duathlon 2 weeks after (8/24/8) so I know I need to do a bit of training but i don't want to over do it.

Fly over on Friday morning and staying just 1.6 miles from the stadium so its feet up for a couple of days which will make a nice change, compared to Paris in April which was racing around the expo at 4pm the evening before to get my number and then checking into the hotel and finding that the restaurant had run out of pasta aaahhhh!! 

• Options
    I thought that the general recovery rule is 1 day for every mile of the race.
    I've entered the Cheddar half which is on the 10th November so will need do to a bit in the intervening 3 weeks
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Very sensible Ternana. I did my best to avoid germ bags but it`s all but impossible for someone travelling on over-crowded tubes, trains etc.

Was pole-axed with flu on Friday. Spent most of the weekend horizontal. Feel q a bit better now just weak & achy. Hopefully back to full strength by weekend.

• Options

I would like to put my feet up for a few weeks after  the marathon but I will be doing the first race of the XC season a week on Sunday. I dont think i will be breaking any records though!

I will probably rest up for a week, do the XC then take a coulpe of week off from running.

Can't seem to get motivated at work today. I have been spending most of my day flicking between various running websites.

• Options
    ***Roll on the weekend***
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Joolska & Dave A - how are your dodgy calves (?) ?
  • Options
    Physion tonight for a full diagnosis I hope. My leg doesn't feel at its best at the moment
  • Options
    Sheets I know where you're coming from - ready to be on that start line!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    3 miles on Saturday was ok, 4 miles yesterday seemed ok, but left hip feels a bit 'sticky'. Been stretching carefully every hour and physio tomorrow morning to see if I've got the all clear. Will probably try 4 or 5 miles tonight to give it a little bit more of a test, but I know it's a fine balance between testing it and overdoing it...
  • Options

Thanks Musketeer, one day for each mile! I think I'd go crazy but I know you've got to let the body recover properly so I won't push myself in the second recovery week and just hope for the best.

Sorry to hear you've been picking up those nasty germs on the tube Beetle, that reminds me I'll have to turn the climate control down in my car on the way home image 

I've just booked Thursday off to pack and prepare, now I'm getting in the spirit.

• Options
    The guys who do The Triple seem to ignore the 26 day recovery rule!
  • Options
    Hope all the niggles and sniffles clear up for everyone. I hate this time in the taper, always feel like I should be doing more running and am wary of people sneezing and coughing too. Cant wait for Sunday, really looking forward to it. Might feel different about the race at mile 22 though!!!
  • Options

My two weeks post race are going to be spent desperately trying to recover before the New York marathon.  Eek!  Actually, it shouldn't be so bad, I'll be running with a wheelchair and a group of other runners who include people who aren't as fast as me, so the current target is around 6 hours, which hopefully will mean that I don't need to be fully recovered from Amsterdam.  or that's the theory, anyway!

I always seem to end up sniffing in the week before a marathon, but I don't seem too bad this week for a change.  Fingers crossed it stays like that, I visited my sister over the weekend and she was coughing away so I just hope she hasn't given me anything (I warned her I'd kill her if she did...)

I am surprisingly relaxed at the moment, I haven't started the obsessive list writing stage yet, that has been known to hit three weeks before the race in the past.  I will have to get round to starting the pile of stuff to take soon though.

I'm just looking forward to the end of the race now - I found out today that I've been promoted, but I've told myself I'm not having a drink to celebrate until after the marathon.  Hopefully the reward of a bottle of bubbly will increase my incentive to get round as fast as I can!

• Options

Fizz seen.

Over tightness and a strain in hip flexors and ITB to blame. Stretches/ resistance exercises given. Advised to swim and cycle if possible and see how it feels in 48 hrs before attempting any further running.

Fingers crossed

• Options

Hi,

Running Amsterdam marathon on Sunday, looking forward to it.  Does anyone know if they have 1KM markers or is it just every 5KM.  Was thinking of wearing Garmin if not, however I was worried that it would loose the signal on leaving the stadium.

Cheers.

• Options

Coldfeet

There are clear 1km markers - with even bigger 5km markers

I am still going to wear the Garmin, just for post race analysis of pace / HR etc

Weather forecast looks perfect - so we've no excuses not to have a great run.

Good luck everyone, and stay clear of germs and hard exercise this week !

• Options

Messages for Tiger!

1. Good luck - have a good one! In fact, have a gggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat one!

2. Your Epsom Oddball friends looked totally freaked out when I cheered them on by name in Leicester image

• Options
    Scott Martin - Thanks...I assume you are not worried about the Garmin loosing the signal when leaving the stadium?  I am worried about extra weight, Garmin is 30g more than standard watch, it all counts you know image
  • Options

Hello Hollywood!

Thank you!  I hear you did well at Leicester, congrats! image 

Hello everyone else image  I haven't been on this thread much, hope we are all looking forward to Sunday!  I'm hoping for sub-4, have been allocated pen D so will try and keep the sub-4 pacers within my radar.

Will have a read back so see if there's any recommendations for places to watch the rugby on Saturday night.  Priorities! image

• Options

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the rugby will be shown on Dutch TV? Have had flu so would rather watch the match in my hotel room on Sat night then go to a pub!