Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I am an optimist both in tv programmes and marathon times...
  • Options

Tried to spot a few people on the telly, but failed miserably!  actually spotted myself just before the start.. bounding back to the pack after having a wee in the bushes.. image typical!  They also didn't have the sheep that was scratching its bum enthusiastically on the rocks near pen y pass... as someone pointed you " you ain't gonna get that in London".. image

So are we all moving to 2008 now.. tee hee - you know when you say "never again.."

• Options

LOL  !!!!!

Yep, there defo should be more sheep interviewed i agree !

And perhaps someone cutting the grass on the mountain top above Waunfawr using a petrol mower !

And please don't forget the alcoholics and swingers who flock to the town when there's a full moon over nantperis !

No wonder they think we all eat pot noodles in wales !

Can't wait until it comes out on DVD, i'll be one of the first to order my copy as long as its officially signed by 'Jones the Steam'  and his old faithful 'Ivor the Engine'     image

Karl, i'll have to hop onto that 2.45 thread sometime, haven't decided where i'll attempt the time yet, i'm doing FLM next year, but was thinking of Edinburgh as a PB attempt.

• Options

A belated well done to everyone image

I just loved this race, and can't wait 'til next year. At least I've got Rhayader to look forward to in the meantime. I managed 3:34 which I was pleased with considering leg probs. See y'all for Snowdonia 2008! 

UH - was really chuffed for you receiving your 100 award. A big well done again. I'll most probably see you at that 50k in Jan '08

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Very good race.  Enjoyed the course and the conditions.  Was disappointed with myself not to do the 3:50 but at least managed a sub-4 "Target B" with 3:59:26.  Phew!  And I ran the hill OK (sorry to all the people I deceived telling them it was at mile 22 when it was actually miles 21-23 with some more uphill on the off-roady bits after that) but not with the strength I wanted.

The Saturday evening was memorable, not so much for the "do" which was quite a genteel affair, (although it enabled me to meet CD, Steve-Z, RunGaryRun and Safety Pin), but for what transpired when I got back to my tent at 2145.  It was a sodden heap on the ground.  I battled with it for half an hour, getting absolutely soaked, trying to get it orientated to the wind direction and thought I had it about right when a huge gust snapped its only pole.  Had an uncomfortable night in the car with it rocking around in the wind and the rain hammering on the roof. Worst night I've ever camped in.  Tent went in the skip in the morning.

Comprised myself with a low-level walk on Sunday when in actual fact it was a good day and could have gone up high ...

Will be back for more though.  The marathon and the mountains.

PaulF - so you were at the do? Why didn't you introduce yourself with a "Do you realise what speed you were doing ..."

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    "... compromised ..."
  • Options

Flying Ant - the coverage was pretty much on par with S4C's usual coverage of events - the programmes are always tailored for Welsh speakers and I'd certainly agree that the programme wasn't really made with the race participants in mind! I am sure that the DVD which will be made will be a LOT better.

I have had a few messages/phone calls from people taking the mick out of me for my lack of "picking up a cup of water whilst on the move" skills after seeing me at the top of the Pass. If I'm honest with myself with the TV camera following the group and the crowds cheering I just got carried away with myself from the top of the climb to about 10-11miles - putting that one down to 1st marathon inexperience - won't be making same mistake(s) next year!!

• Options
    Watched the coverage last night, managed to get the subtitles working on the skybox, really enjoyed it, brought back good memories of the run. Loved the comment by one commentator, "oh dear, hes vommiting his disapointment into the ditch!"as the fella leading came to a halt,  brilliant. Exactly how I felt struggling round the course for the first time. Really enjoyed it though, pretty sure I will be back next year to struggle round. Will know what to expect next time round. image
  • Options

Really enjoyed the race again. Did 4.18, 6 mins better than i've done there before so pretty pleased. Looking forward to next year already !

Good seeing CD, SZ, and T Rex on sat nite and meeting one blue leg earlier.

Re-assuring seeing that the leader at Wanfawr can blow up on the hill - best bit of the prog apart from the guy with his collection of coasters !!!

Enjoyed this forum - very entertaining. Moving over to the Luton mara one soon. image

• Options

Well done safety pin, that is an excellent time. I heard you and your friend finished at different times - the men were watching and had a long wait for us girls!

See you at Luton then.  It is a bit different from Snowdonia, but still a good event.  Snowdonia will remain my favourite marathon to date and I cannot imagine anything else coming close.

• Options
    safety pin - may see you at the roaches
  • Options

see you all, its been a pleasure, and a great race

my emphasis now turns to London, although i fancy running one as a bit of a warm up (but not sure which one yet).

take care hopefully see you 2009, i am probably doing NY next year.

• Options

CD - yeh see u at the roaches and some other fell races - should be good.

One Blue leg - congrats to you and your friend on another marathon - Is that 15 this year ? Much Respect.

Looking forward to Luton, did it last year, quite a nice rural event. Agree with you about Snowdonia - its the best most enjoyable marathon i've done, and I'm looking forward to some more coasters !!

• Options

Now pursuaded OH to do Windermere with me next year, means I can also plan then on Snowdonia 08 !

CD (if you're still there) - Osmotherly last year, was it the Lyke Wake 42 ?  If so, can you let me have any tips on amount / kind of training an event like this requires (assume practically most people part run part walk ?) and what kind of kit is worn / carried on an event like this ? Think I must have been drinking too much as it suddenly sounds an exciting challenge..... Anyone else who does events like this, grateful for your thoughts....

TV - I guess my half Welshness wasn't enough then to be featured boyo ee by gum image

• Options

I will watch the highlights later tonight, I may be spotted easy due to the green bin bag I wore for most of the race (due to wind and rain).

Did this in 4:49 and Dublin in 4:30 (no bin bag required).

• Options

Hello safety pin

Yes, 15 so far this year with 2 to go.  Looking forward to seeing how many we can do next year now!

See you in Snowdonia, if not before.

Best wishes

One Blue Leg

• Options

Windermere..... a very good race ....ran it this year (as my first marathon) but was told by some 'charlatans' from my running club that Windermere was harder than Snowdonia....oooooo how they lied.........

still I managed to get round  and unbelievably relish the thought of doing this again......a truly great run it is ! Just wish there was a bit more off-road in it . See you all same time next year !

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Anyone eat at Pete's Eats over the weekend?  Was it me or have his legendary portion sizes gone down a lot?
  • Options
    Hiya All and Hiya Ultra Minnie (if you're still on this thread)
    Sorry I missed you after the race did you get to the party after? we did but only briefly. Got to see the results list you did well again glad you enjoyed the race. I also had a great race not far behind you. To my surprise I was first V45 but dissapointingly I was down as Fopen so missed out on a prize. Not that I am bothered about the prize just the glory of it, shame. But have managed to get the results updated for my own satisfaction since. Mr slow Jacks didnt have such a good run (lack of training didnt help) I had to wait 40mins soaking wet as he had the car keys where all my dry clothes were. He enjoyed running with UH on such a great occasion. Hope to see you soon where is the ultra in January? Mr Slow Jacks glutton for punisment
    Bye for now!
    Slow Jacks x

• Options
    I got there on Friday before they stopped cooking and the portion sizes where large.
  • Options
    Yep, also had tea in Pete's Eats and could only eat half of mine.  Even after all that running!!!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    piccies are up on the website folks!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    www.marathon-photos.com
  • Options

thanks Paul! I'd been checking the Snowdonia site, but nothing there.

TD - you really were only 2 seconds behind me !! 

• Options
    Bugger, on the photos they got my number through the bin liner at the place where I was eating a mars bar and two drinks.
  • Options
    Snowdonia highlights available online now at here, if you missed it on S4C last night.
  • Options
    you soooo want that 3000th post don't you rgr!!!!!!!
  • Options

whey - hey , you're back!

can we beat it on YOUR thread fr!?