Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options

Does anyone have any tips for when to start running again after the half marathon? i usually run Tuesday, Thursday and then a long run at the weekend...but not sure how much rest i should give my weary body (I worked quite hard yesterday!!)

Also, what is the fort William half like? is it quite hilly?

• Options

Ahah that's what the white thingy is for. Sorry I didn't spot your green ribbon ladyfox - I was looking out for them. I'm 3 minutes slower this year but hurtling towards the dreaded 40 year old mark so that might by why!! Talking of age there is no way you are 48 Gillian.

Gayle you might find a "bimble" tomorrow will actually loosen your muscles if you're a bit sore.  Just go slow and see how you feel. I take a milk and egg protein shake after long runs now just to repair my muscles, not the type that turns you into "Arnie" tho - I did ask the guy in Health Food shop if he had female version as I didn't want to end up looking like the guy on the tub - he laughed and said it's unisex!!

• Options
    Hi everyone hope you are all feeling better. Im a bit sore today and taking it badly to be back at work so soon! I see a few are doing the fort William 1/2 in november, a couple of us up here in Glencoe are thinking of entering and wondered if there is an easier way of doing so rather than phoning?
    Also entered the aviemore half so it will be nice to see some forumites there.I too was stuck in the loo cue so didnt get achance to show off my green ribbon !! Nice to see some highland cows in the park made me feel at home and run a bit faster until I saw they were safely fenced in. Tried to persuade a lady on horse to swap places but she wasnt having it....it would have improved my time no end!
  • Options

StephenT Thanks I'll do any distance within travelling distance.  It's a day out with a purpose. Pleased your leg is doing ok.  We all get our share of it.

SFG and Greg that's good news.  We now have the beginning of a team for each event !! G and D Fort Williams flat and scenic.  Cracking wee race.

I'm on r and r till Wed when there's a 5k in the meadows Edinburgh. Will put my green ribbon on just in case.

Karen D tis true, didn't even start running till 2001.  I had a very debauched youth !

• Options
    You're like that ten years younger programme then Gillian without them having to knock the ten years off you - I'm still trying to hang on to my debauched youth albeit but a bit fitter and healthier!!
  • Options
    Karen That's kind.  Thank you. I know just what you mean.  I still know how to handle a bottle of wine at very regular intervals !!  Hic hic !!
  • Options

You lot have got me looking at this Fort William race now. 12 o'clock start looks interesting. Checked how long would take me to get there and only 2 hours I'll ponder!

I drink more since I started running Gillian - helps stop the jumpy legs at night after a long run-me and wine don't get along too well tho!!

• Options

SFC,

It is actually the Jedburgh Half I've entered, seemed a lot easier to get to from Edinburgh.

Oh well, looks like some Arthur's Seat practice may be in order. 

• Options

Hey Crystal image

The Jed half is quite civilized till mile 11 then there is a mile long hill, not too steep, but seems to go on for ever!. Up and down the Seat once a week and you will bound up it!

Nice friendly race, plenty of convenient car parking, not crowded and a nice medal.

I drove down from Bothwell in the morning, 8am start, and drove home afterwards, is nicely doable. Especially as the clocks change and you get an extra hours kip the night before.

• Options

Thanks SFC,

I certainly wasnt bounding at mile eleven in Glasgow....I'll settle for a slow stagger up a hill! Looks like I need to practice coping with Arthur's Seat at the end of my longer runs....

Well noted re the extra hour in bed, and with luck it'll be nice and cool, given my usual problem is getting too hot in races.

I'll stop waffling about this on the Glasgow forum though!

• Options
    remohremoh ✭✭✭
    well done everyone. last year i ran 1.32.52  this year 1.32.51 at least its going in the right direction
  • Options

Woo Hoo ET says 1.39.57...chuffed so 3.30 Amsterdam on cards. Not looking forward to DOMS tomorrow as know I ran faster than trained for so expect it and will justget on with life (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) Gets better after tomorrow night so can't whinge really and there's always ibruprofen. Looks like everyone had a great time. Again thanks to all for chat on forum and great to meet all I did. Weren't the Sikh Guys great with the team, flags, water, oranges and the music at 11 miles. Great positive integration and the logo on the back "Heat Sikhing Missile" made me smile.Great journey back and gentle bimble (great well used expression) on the cards for this morning. Be in touch SC

• Options
    Alibaliboo I entered the Fort William half online through Runners World. If you type Eddie's Half Marathon into the event search it should allow you to enter online.
  • Options
    Cheers Greg, I'm not keen on phoning people at home to enter things! Will  see how I feel after Aviemore and a couple of friends from the Fort are doing GNR so see how they are too. If not running we'll be there to cheer everyone on.
  • Options
    Alibaliboo I wondered if there are any good runs up your neck of the woods. My other half is from Port Appin so I'm up there quite a bit and I wouldn't mind finding other routes to run when I'm up.
  • Options
    There are some good ones about the waterfalls at Inchree, Forestry trails and road combined.Also a 6 mile loop from glenachulish, the canal in fort william is a good easy path a longer tougher one if you can get dropped off is the last leg of the west Highland way from Mamore Lodge in Kinlochleven to the Fort and nearer to your other half is the forest at Sutherlands grove.Hope this helps.
  • Options

Loads of pics on the ET website

WWW.thepicturedesk.co.uk

..... and I had to be in the same shot as the guy with the sussies...... hope my Mum doesn't see it image

• Options

Gee whizz - I bet that bloke got some chaffing with those on - hope he helped himself to the free vaseline that was on offer - thought that was for my chapped lips!! 

Thanks for the link SFC. 

• Options
    I'm in one of the pics as well!! Form an orderly queue for autographs!!  
  • Options

Pics on the official Marathon Photo website now!

• Options
    Thought my number was 12162 but checking pics a female pops up wearing that number. Disposed of no. after race. Any ideas where I can get my number from? It's not on results pages!
  • Options
    Your sure you typed your number in right Straycelt!! If you had a bandana on then it is you. I'm having a laugh at mines - out of about 8 only 2 look as if I'm not too exhausted!!
  • Options

Straycelt - do you still have the letter you got with your race pack?  The number was on there, and on the plastic bag the chip came in.

(Sometimes being messy and disorganised is a Good Thing - I haven't thrown any of it out yet, so I'll be able to check my piccies when I get home - all I know at the moment is that it started "19", which hasn't been much help..........)

• Options

Gayle: i look like im crying in mine..between that and being pulled over the line im not surprised i can barely remember the moment!!!

Still, about to sign up for my next one in Fort William, I must be crazy...or addicted!

• Options

Ah, found mine.

Right - the diet starts today.

• Options

LOL why why do they have to take the pics at the end of the race dont know whether to laugh or cry at mine I seem to have grown a chin with every mile i ran

• Options
    There's 7 of me Lady Fox and I only look as if i know what I'd doing in 2 of them and the others I look like I'm escaping from the law!! Mines all taken at end cause I had my hair down then in ponytail then in bunches due to sweat and sticking to my face!! Oh the joys. They should have trinny and suzanne sprucing us up at end for a photoshoot!!
  • Options
    Karen D, yes and there was definitely a woman wearing that number in yellow but entering today it is me in the bandana. Looks like the bulk were all taken at the finish. Don't think any will make it to the modelling portfolio tho!
  • Options

Yet more photos not to buy !!  Signing off this thread now, thanks for the chat and the support.  See some of you on the Scottish Runners Thread I hope.

• Options

Thats right another load of photos that I won't be buying just have to wait for the certificate now, considering how close the race pack arrived to race day I won't be holding my breath for getting the certificate with six to eight weeks.  Hope it comes through the post unlike the emailed one that I got from the Dundee Half.

Not been out this week as I've spent time working on my first house (got the keys two days before the GSR) - that will probably take some time away from the running but have provisional penciled in the Templeton 10 mile race in Dundee on 4 Nov as my next race but I'll see how everything goes.

I enjoyed reading all posts on this thread and hopefully talk everyone again in a virtual way in the build up the 2008 GSR.   image image

To those racing again soon good luck and to thise who have injuries get well soon.