Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

Excellent DVD... watched it right to the end..   image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck for Nice, DV. I can hardly gert my head round the distances in an Ironman. * My brick started with 1600 metres... yes, metres...on the bike followed by 800 running.We got better with repeats. imageMarginally...* Are you in full ' taper mode' , now? How do you organise refuelling during th race? Do you leave your own food at transition as well as carry stuff? The mind boggles...

I loved the DVD.

• Options

Hi All

Haven't looked at the DVD yet - but you're all making me think I should get on with it.

Dying to hear how J3ff got on.

Hi Molly - This is Artful Haggis transmogrified back into a Hen after Edinburgh!  I really enjoyed Paris this year, although it's crap as a warm up for Edinburgh...imageimage!

Yes, if you're quick you don't need to worry about getting a place to do Paris, but if you're a speedy person I think there are preferential bibs etc. Suppose details will be on the site.  I needn't really concern myself with such things...

• Options

DV - I don't know what to think about your IM.  Want to think you're barking but have always secretly fancied an IM but always try to squash the thought or at least ignore it if it pops up too loudly.  Really hope it goes well for you!

ATM - that hideous feeling of getting off the bike and starting to run is hilarious isn't it?  You could try standing up a bit towards the end of the bike section to stretch out your hamstrings a bit and put a bit of blood back in a few more running muscles... (or at least that's what I remember reading but am not sure if it works. Never really saw anyone doing it but it made sense to me).

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    DV - Much respect. On current form I'd be a definite 'DNF' for an ironman. The poor old bike wouldn't get a look in - you'd be dragging my body out of open water!

I don't seem to get the jelly legs on the bike/run transition. In the London Duathlon last year I came 28th overall but ran the 7th fastest 2nd run. Pretty pleased with that. But then I did once have my legs described by a fellow track cyclist as being like 'motorways'. Eh?

I very much enjoyed the Paris DVD. The shaky camerawork along the route seems to capture what it's like to be there doing it a lot better than any coverage I've seen of London. I was getting quite choked up as it was all coming back to me. And I've now copied my 'diplome' and sent off for my Championship entry at London next year. Woohoo! image

How's J3ff getting on?

• Options

Can't believe I've not watched the DVD yet! Think I've twice carried it upstairs to watch in bed, then forgotten and brought it back downstairs the next day!

Don't remember cobbles either...?

Phil - can't wait to hear all the goss from the elite/championship start at London next year, you have to keep in touch - all very exciting! 

Yes where's J3ff, has he done it yet?! 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Any long-term plans to do an Ironman, Phil? Can you swim at all or is it just that you're not a good as you are on the bike and at running? AH, you could do one! It would just be a question of endurance training....Yes?

I'm just back from my first ' Had the lesson, understand the theory, now going to do the crawl...' near-death experience in the pool image  But...

I've just read your post, DV, on the ' How bad were you a year before your IM?' thread...er...not that I'm aiming that high. It cheered me up.  image*I was beginning to regret entering a Novice Tri * I'm going to improve.

Or drown.

• Options
    I am sorry to say that 1600m and 23kms on the first day took out of me more than I could put back in image I couldn't finish day 2.

I'll post a little later with links to some very short movies (I went with the idea of taking loads but when you are chinstrapped and dragging knuckles, taking pics is the last thing you want to do) and a race report.
  • Options
    Hooray, he's back in one piece!  No shame re day 2 Jeff.  Wejust want to hear all about it, horrors and all.  Glad you're OK.  Quite understand you not wanting to take pics/vid.  At Paris I couldn't even face getting my iPod out of my pocket!
  • Options
    Ok, the footage runs to only 3 mins or so but I packed it out to 4. Unless you are on a super fast broadband, I suggest you watch the small version, or go and make a cup of tea and watch it later.

Please bear in mind I had about 2 hours sleep each night so I may look a bit (?) weary.

Here it is :- CLICKY

the maps and write-up, I'm still working on
  • Options

ATM..  thanks..  I really don't think you need a whole year to prepare, assuming that you have a reasonable level of fitness to start with.  I was supposed to follow a training plan doing about 15 hours per week over a 16 week period but found it too hard to balance with work and family...  so.. I'm guessing that I have done about half of what I was supposed to do.  However, I still think I have done enough to get round..  just not very quickly..!

I am doing an OW swim tonight.. will do about 2000m...  will repeat this a few more times this week and next...   I will do very little bike and run over the next two weeks... 

Assuming I don't die (!!), I will do another IM and try to train properly for it next time...!   A half-IM or Oly will be much more feasible in terms of fitting in the training with a busy life though...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Let's see if I manage the 75m/3k/800m, first...

I'm looking forward to your IM Report, though.Don't die. We need the info'..

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed your vid J3ff, loved the glacial landscape. I really want to go to scotland now, not to run a LAMM though.

I have signed up to some proper swimming lessons, hopefully this will crack my fear of water. Starts in 2 weeks, 'm actually a bit scared. Definately no IM for me.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    The video is wonderful , j3ff.The editing is...madness! lol
  • Options
    Really enjoyed your video too J3ff. I always choose the reckoner to go alongside my galleries too, great song! Great band!

I am tempted to go Lamm next year, looks stunning and challenging and utter madness obviously! Well done and hope to see you at the Munro in 2 weeks now!!!
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    J3ff - good effort fella! I think you deserve a rest. Great video, makes me want to get back into the great outdoors, possibly to do a race that doesn't involve flat tarmac.

ATM - I wouldn't discount the possibility of an Ironman at some stage. I can swim but yes, to get anywhere close to bike/run form would take a lot of time and effort and I'd rather concentrate on what I'm good at for the time being. I did hazard an open water swim a while back, I'd guess about 200 metres out to a small island off a beach in Mallorca, but even that made me a bit nervous and my 'front crawl' was about the speed of most people's doggy-paddle!
  • Options

I've still not watched the DVD either.  Will try and rectify that tonight.

• Options
    Angelique - see you there, I'll be the chap who turns up on a motorbike and gets changed at the start line image
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, Tutu - I'm not sure what gossip there is to have on the elite/championship start at London but I could always create some of my own. How about "Oi Haile, race you to the Sun in Sands roundabout. Last one there's a big sissy!" and I'll let you know what he says? image

(I'm sure I could just about match his MP over 700 yards, although it might scupper my chances of clocking another negative split.)
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

tadiyass dehna neh?

* 'Hello, how are you?', in Amharic...apparently....lol.. Get busy, Phil.*

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    *lol* That could come in quite handy, I'll give it a go. How about "I live just down there on the right, fancy a cuppa?"
  • Options
    Can't wait for Jeff's LAMM report...
  • Options
    PhilPub wrote (see
    Oh yeah, Tutu - I'm not sure what gossip there is to have on the elite/championship start at London but I could always create some of my own. How about "Oi Haile, race you to the Sun in Sands roundabout. Last one there's a big sissy!" and I'll let you know what he says? image

Hell yeah, counting on you to now!!!

Just did awful 10 mile race. Very hilly. Wasn't the hills that killed me though, was my stomach (maybe the hills' fault indirectly though, not sure?!) - I had to do something I've always prayed I'd never have to in a race...... sorry to be graphic but - I had to c*@p in a field, aaaarghhh!!!! Very unpleasant in so many ways.

Sorry to have shared that with you all image

• Options

Oh yes - Angelique - sorry this is very slow of me but thanks so much for your post on Chi Running. All so interesting! Unfortunately I've done hardly any running since the course so not really tried it out properly yet.

J3ff - looking forward to your full report crazy man!! image

Night all, I'm pooped. 

• Options
    B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

Do you want to re-phrase that last sentence bearing in mind your previous post Tutu?image

J3ff - looked a bit undulating there.  Can't say I blame you for bailing out after a day.

Looking forward to hearing Phil's report on the championship start at FLM.  Having just watched the Paris DVD if you upped the pace abit Phil you could be with those annoying twits (sp.) who surround the women elite runners.  Wot wassat all about, were they trying to protect them or just get on tele?

Training for Abingdon starts next week.  Need to get a bit more pace as my running has been particularly slow and disappointing recently.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    B R - Yeah I had the same thoughts about those guys. My best guesses were a combination of (a) I'll definitely get on the telly (b) This woman's about the same pace as me and being an elite runner will be very good at keeping a steady pace going, and (c) Mmmm, nice derriere! ...but mainly (a) At least at London if I'm to catch any elite women I'd need a motorbike since they start 45 mins earlier!

Tutu - sometimes you've just gotta do the do. image It doesn't surprise me this happened on a hilly course. I've often had, er, movements that have cut training runs short and more often than not it's been shortly after a fast run downhill. Not sure what the answer is mind, except to be extra careful about pre-race eating plans??
  • Options
    Tutu Much wrote (see)
     Hell yeah, counting on you to now!!!

Just did awful 10 mile race. Very hilly. Wasn't the hills that killed me though, was my stomach (maybe the hills' fault indirectly though, not sure?!) - I had to do something I've always prayed I'd never have to in a race...... sorry to be graphic but - I had to c*@p in a field, aaaarghhh!!!! Very unpleasant in so many ways.

Sorry to have shared that with you all image

Was it the Otley 10?

Is this something to add to the list of 'You're a proper runner when...'?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Oh I definitely qualify then. About this time last year I ran a 10k in Battersea Park. Start time of the race: 8.00am. Guess what time the public toilets open! image
  • Options
    Hmmm - Tutu - that's something to think about - hills causing the prob...
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Picking up the thread...

I've had a couple of problems and one nightmare experience.Wasn't hills, Tutu and Hen.I'm sure it was the chocolate eclairs I ate the night before.The cream. Like mayonnaise and croissants/choux pastry, my system can't cope with fat and exercise. * OK, I did have 5...but they were small!  I know what to avoid, now. *Did you have anything like that to eat, T?