Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    howeys watch out you dont get shin splints from an enthusiastic start to training cos that's what happened to me! though im sure you're a pro and couldnt get them if you tried image
  • Options

What are the qualifications for being a minx???  Is it a good thing to be one?

Hi Orca - I'm another ambitious Green, should really be Pink, but hell no--- am going for sub 4 this time (4.23 at FLM07).  There are quite a few of us staying at that hotel Orca - me and Tutu included.  Talking about Tutu... she has some news. I'll let her tell you.

Am def on for pre-race meal - would be fantastic.  Am sure someone woudl be able to recommend something for us.  I haven't been to Paris for years. 

• Options

Hello everyone!

I'm another newbie to the thread and Paris will be my first marathon so I'm looking to get as much knowledge from you guys as possible! In return, I live in France, so if anyone has any France related questions, then I can help (I think...).

I've been running regularly until about a year ago when I got a herniated disc which kept me almost inactive for about 6 months. I've slowly built up since then and decided that I need a real challenge to get over the injury - hence Paris. So far my back feels good so I'm ready to start the full training program on Monday (I will follow the RW 3h45 16-week program)

In a moment of madness when I signed up, I set my objective as 3h15 based on my best (pre-injury) half marathon time of 1h31. That's clearly not going to happen so I think I'll sneak into the Blue or Purple pen on the day!

So, my entry is Theseus 7358 Yellow (with a bluey/purpley hue)

• Options

Ok ATM I'm here,I will have a go at the list.

Barnsley runner (Preferential)

Hilly (Preferential)

Robert 3062 (Red)

PhilPub 3254 (Red)

Riel Carol 4772(Rouge)

B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)

Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)

Jezza B 8321 (Yellow)

Asics Nev 9306 (Yellow)

Theseus 7358 (Yellow with a blue/purple hue)

Graham 12142 (Blue)

Nathan 12155 (Blue)

Park Laner 12376 (Blue)

Barry 12868 (Blue)

Economical Runner 13235 (Blue)

Grant Cunningham 13390 (Blue)

Straitjacket 13358 (Blue)

Barry Knaggs 14168 (Blue)

Ribs Rowena 14132 (Blue)

Adie 14507 (Blue)

Shiva  (Blue)

TW 17986 (bLUE)

II (Blue) gulp!

Burner 24421 (Purple)

J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for a sub 4 this time!

IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with a 69 Litre water tank and bus pass

Outfoxed 24016 (Purple)

Boyler 24474 (Purple)

Jimbus 24085 (Purple)

Haggis in london 24889 (Purple)

Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)

Twosorefeet 33372 (Green)

ATM 32094 (Green) former pink with go faster stripes

Minxinparis 33263 (Green)

Victoria 38240 (Green)

Artful Hen 39292 (Green)

Angelique 38805 (Green) colour of hope they say!

Chocsin77 39649 (Green)

Orca 39414 (Green)

Treiziste 42050 (Pink) very manly shade of pink with glitter!

Caroline 42081 (Pink) I like girly pink!

Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)

Weegie 42123 (Pink)

Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)

Meysey Man 43201 (Pink)

Dalesgirl 43656 (Pink)

Redruth 43806 (Pink)

Halo

Scott s

hope i haven't left anyone out

• Options
    Hi Theseus.  Glad you're back to full running strength!  Fingers crossed for the training!
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Training goin well so far, nice 13 miler on sunday which has made me feel confident.

As for meeting before for a pre-race meal, when I did this before we all met in a restaurant called vesuvio on the champs elyssee.  Not the most glamorous of restaurants but big enough to hold a large group of runners, cheap and easy to find (its 3 min walk from the arc).  That's where I would recommend.

The is an excellent italian 20 mins walk down the avenue Foch, but it can old about 10 people so not great for a large group of runners.

• Options

Morning all,

I haven't posted in ages but have been lurking. I injured my shoulder a few weeks ago and then got an horrific chest infection, so no rowing or running and have been giving all my 'disposable' income to my physio. It seems to have done the job so training will resume at the weekend - well running at least. Rowing will have to wait until after Christmas! Feeling lardy and lethargic, but have itchy feet - must remember not to overdo it initally. Thames towpath and  puddles beckon for the next week, and then rural Irish roads for Christmas week.

List looks huge Caroline - an excuse for a get together, if ever there was one!

• Options
    Yeah a pre race meal sounds great. I don't know how to gid rid of the huge spacing so the list does look huge. It's in colour order now guys and gals. Took me ages,I love lists!
  • Options

This hopefully will work.  Caroline if you hold shift when you press return if removes the blank line. 

Barnsley runner (Preferential)
    Hilly (Preferential)
    Robert 3062 (Red)
    PhilPub 3254 (Red)
    Riel Carol 4772(Rouge)
    B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)
    Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)
    Jezza B 8321 (Yellow)
    Asics Nev 9306 (Yellow)
    Theseus 7358 (Yellow with a blue/purple hue)
    Graham 12142 (Blue)
    Nathan 12155 (Blue)
    Park Laner 12376 (Blue)
    Barry 12868 (Blue)
    Economical Runner 13235 (Blue)
    Grant Cunningham 13390 (Blue)
    Straitjacket 13358 (Blue)
    Ribs Rowena 14132 (Blue)
    Adie 14507 (Blue)
    Shiva  (Blue)
    TW 17986 (bLUE)
    II (Blue) gulp!
    Burner 24421 (Purple)
    J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for a sub 4 this time!
    IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with a 69 Litre water tank and bus pass
    Outfoxed 24016 (Purple)
    Boyler 24474 (Purple)
    Jimbus 24085 (Purple)
    Haggis in london 24889 (Purple)
    Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)
    Twosorefeet 33372 (Green)
    ATM 32094 (Green) former pink with go faster stripes
    Minxinparis 33263 (Green)
    Victoria 38240 (Green)
    Artful Hen 39292 (Green)
    Angelique 38805 (Green) colour of hope they say!
    Chocsin77 39649 (Green)
    Orca 39414 (Green)
    Treiziste 42050 (Pink) very manly shade of pink with glitter!
    Caroline 42081 (Pink) I like girly pink!
    Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)
    Weegie 42123 (Pink)
    Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)
    Meysey Man 43201 (Pink)
    Dalesgirl 43656 (Pink)
    Redruth 43806 (Pink)
    Halo
    Scott s

• Options

Hey Chocsin, where are you based? I'm also in Ireland. Planning 12 to 14 miles in Limerick this weekend. My training partner had to cut last week's 12 miler short at 10M so she's going to do 12. I was pretty tired after the 12 last week but conditions look set to be a lot kinder tomorrow than they were last week so hoping the 14 will go smoothly. Just up to between 25 and 30 miles a week and doing some swimming and cycling cross training.

Also trying to drop some weight. I know muscle weighs more than fat etc. etc. but there's definately room for some serious fat loss. The goal was 10lb from the start of November to Christmas. I'm on 9 with my last Pre Christmas weigh in this coming Thursday. I have every intention of still enjoying myself over the festive season so hoping with some training to keep the weight gain to no more than 2lb but ideally to keep it steady. Had been suffering badly with my stomach on runs. Let's put it this way, the legs weren't the only thing running......... So it was suggested to me to come off wheat. I did and it's been very helpful but I have my limits and from the 20th to the 2nd, no food will be banned. Any one else found they needed to come away from wheat for a while?

Shiva, don't mind the restaurant not being too glamorous but was the food good? Definately think it would be a great idea to meet up the night before.

Theseus, any good suggestions on where a bunch or carb loading runners could eat the night before in Paris? The night after, I found more of us were interested in "hydration" rather than nuitrition!

• Options

Orca: I'll be in Tipperary for Christmas. My parents home is outside Cashel - five miles from a box of matches (ie, very rural) and plenty of hills, so a big change from the flat riverside in London. Hoping I've no more illness or injury to contend with - your mileage is much higher than mine, but I'm hoping 'muscle memory' will kick in.

Getting a Garmin 305 for christmas - very excitedimage

• Options
    Hi Chocs, when you get the Garmin (I have one and it's great) visit motionbased.com it's a pretty good site for analyzing and seeing where you've run.
  • Options

Orca, I'm not based in Paris so I can't help on the restaurant. I do know that the Marais and St Germain districts are very good in the evening so I'll ask some friends who live in Paris if they can suggest anywhere.

J3ff, I second what you say about motionbased.com - I just started using it and am addicted! I love the fact that your runs are overlayed on Google Earth map - it really is an almost essential addition to the Garmin.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

This is my first pitch for the Sunday night drink...Pity the Weegies are on holiday...

What about ' The Auld Alliance', again, in the Marais? Yes, I know it's not very smart but it's 20 yards from the Saint Paul Metro, on Line 1...and I bet most of you are in hotels on the Line 1 route so no changing trains. It's one of the 2 Scottish pubs in Paris...the other one's more of a walk from any Metro... and it's in a lively district for anyone making a night of it.

Err, I'm a bit ahead of myself. Got hundreds of miles to run before then...

• Options
    It's better to have early ideas ATM than none at all!!.  You are definitely correct about the miles though.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome, Theseus and welcome back chocsin. Loads of people seemto have had chest infections recently. Hope things go well for you from now on.

chocsin, until your Garmin arrives, you could always plot your Ireland runs on mapmyrun and let it transfer them to googlearth. I still get a thrill every time I see the googlearth globe revolve and zero in on to my routes. What a tool!

I've gone all nostalgic, now....

• Options

Motionbased.com question. Do you all use the Lite version? I have a Forerunner 205 and am going to give this motionbased lark a go. Been told about it before, but never got round to it

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Orca, it was Rach who organised the meal at vesuvio, we all went there in 2005 and 2006.  The food was ok, pretty standard italian fare really.  More info here:

vesuvio

I could look into booking something, good excuse for me to practise my french again.  What about something for sunday as well?  A pub to meet in might be  good plan.

• Options
    asics_nev
    I used the lite version, until I started pushing runs off the 10 max you're allowed, so I'm a paid up user now and not regretting it.
  • Options
    Enjoy the Forerunner 305 Chocsin. I have to say I love mine, a gift from my wonderful husband during the summer. I think he couldn't look at me drooling at the ads in Runners World any more. I'm a total plodder so the main thrill I get out of running is collecting the data. Sad, I know. Haven't tried motionbased.com. Must check it out. Yippee, the weekend is here so I'm off home to feed myself for tomorrow's early morning run at stupid O' clock! However, I love the smug feeling when you're showered and fed at 10am on a Saturday morning with the long run done. I found the last time I trained for the marathon that my whole weekend revolved around it and it's a lot more intrusive on your life that way. This way, it's over before the reality of the madness has set in. Have a wonderful weekend all and best of luck to anyone who's racing this weekend.
  • Options
    I arrived home tonight to find my Eurostar tickets had arrived image  Wish marathon fitness could be ordered like that.
  • Options
    asics_nev, I also used the lite version of motionbased at first but it only stores your last 10 runs so I upgraded. The full version gives you some nice functionality such as a more detailed analysis of your run and they are beta-testing a new version of the map player at the moment which is awesome!!
  • Options

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/sheffield/416304137

Thanks for the map my run link ATM.I've run this one a few weeks ago and plan on doing it again this Sunday.I didn't know you could save it onto google earth.

Oh the fun i'm going to have now.

Enjoy your runs everybody.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Looks great, H! I've used mapmyrun for a while but have only recently found the ' elevation' thingy at the bottom of the window. Your run's pretty impressive.

Ah, yes...The ' fly to' function on googlearth ...It's fabulous for runs..and fabulous if you're corresponding with someone half-way round the world...a really powerful illusion of proximity.

• Options

It wasn't that impressive the other week when i took a wrong turn and although i could see where i wanted to be the road wasn't going that way.there was a little tear in my eye i can tell you.

I'm not liking the cold either.It's like Dr givargo (can't spell) at the mo.

• Options

Hi all,it's about time I threw my hat in the ring.I put down 3.15 but I wont be getting there.Never the less I will give it a good try.

Barnsleyrunner (preferential)
    Hilly (preferential)
    Robert 3062 (Red)
    PhilPub 3254 (Red)
    Riel Carol 4772 (Rouge)
    B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)
    Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)

Rowan (9444) (yellow)

Graham 12142 (Blue)
    Nathan 12155 (Blue)
    Park Laner 12376 (Blue)
    Barry 12868 (Blue)
    Economical Runner (13235) Blue
    Grant Cunningham (13390) Blue
    Straitjacket (13358) Blue
    Ribs (Rowena) 14132 (Blue)
    Adie14507(Blue)
    Shiva (Blue)
    TW 17986 (Blue
    ll (Blue)gulp!
    Burner 24421 (Purple)
    J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for sub 4 this time!!
    IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with 69 Litre water tank and bus pass
    OutFoxed 24016(Purple)
    Boyler 24474(Purple)
    Jimbus 24085 (Purple)
    haggisinlondon (24889) Purple
    Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)
    Twosorefeet (33372) Green
    ATM 32094 Green ( former Pink with go-faster-stripes)
    minxinparis (33263)Green
    Victoria 38240 (Green)
    Artful Hen 39292 (Green)
    Angelique 38805 (Green- colour of Hope they say!!!).

chocsin77 39649 (Green)
    Treiziste 42050 Pink (Very manly shade of with glitter...)
    Caroline 42081 Pink (I like Girly Pink)
    Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)
    Weegie 42123 (Pink)
    Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)
    Meysey Man (43201) Pink
    Dalesgirl (43656) Pink
    Redruth (43806) Pink
    asics_nev (9306) Yellow
    Halo
    Scott S

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Good to see peoples' training and arrangements moving along

Training is going well for me. Hope to keep it that way and not pick up any injuries.  A good track session today.  Freezing though and my lungs were stinging with the cold.

Keep up the good work folks. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Out early this morning.It was absolutely freezing but dry , with no wind.My thighs are still complaining from my ill-advised, multiple-activity day so a short run for me....but, wow!...a beautiful sunrise in a pink and turquoise sky.

Hope everyone enjoys a long run , this weekend.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    So cold  here today I had frost form on my face on my run - brrrr!
  • Options

I took my car to garage first thing and was ready to leave the car anf head out for a 9 or 10 miler. Garage boys thought it very funny, they were in hats and heavy coats and I come in wearing flimsy running gear.

But it was cold, took 3 miles for my hands to warm up. I did not wear gloves as I did not think it was that cold.

I tried to run SLOW but I cannot I just seem to plod on at 10 min a mile. I keep thinking slow down but just keep getting back to same 10 min pace. I ending up doing 10 miles in 97 mins. Mile 8 had 2 very long hills as well. Ending up as a lovely run. Roll back to ONLY 6 miles next weekend, that will seem weird.

No surprise my car was not ready when I got back to garage. The part the car needed was different from the one the garage got in!! So I am now carless til Monday evening.

I also got my Eurostar tickets in the post. I got out of the xmas shopping so a result there.

If you are out tomorrow have a great run.