Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Well done on the racers today - seems like everyone got a PB except me (1:51), but that's ok, I was happy (v happy!!) to finish. Legs felt ok but back and hip not so great. Set off too fast. I need to check my garmin for splits, but I'm pretty sure MM would be very cross with me! See? I need a good coach image

Vixo, how did you go?
  • Options
    Fab result for JT, hope the others had good races too.
    CM red wine by the bucketful was obv too much for you, next time stick to glasses! Hope E is OK.
    Great running MM -well not great by your normal standards but better than nowt! I would have taken your 3.15 VLM but you know, hernia has slowed me slightly and I'm just not sure I could pull it off now, sorry..... Hahaha 3.15 is stuff of dreams.
    I am definitely confined to barracks today, snotty, sore throat and a spell of nausea this morning...... Nnnnooooooooooo! ( and no it is NOT morning sickness....). Caro hope your snots are better too!
  • Options

Cross posts JohBo, how could you even consider going for a PB when you've got a tiny weeny! Fab time and a huge well done to you!
    Kinsey hope your snots are better too!
  • Options
    Great running JT and Joh!

Definitely not a Half marathon PB for me, but then my race wasn't actually a half - was 14+miles, which was a bit of a surprise! The organisation was awful, but the course itself was through the new forest so beautiful, but oh my, the hills were fierce. It was definitely more of a CC race than an MM or minks race, as totally off road and not PB material (and I'll repeat again, terrible organisation!) - and I'm very pleased it's over! The first man came in at 1.35, with the first lady at 1.45, but the second lady at 2 hours, so I don't feel too bad about my time, and it definitely was a tough course!

Got home, fed a screaming E, showered,, and had to go straight out to a gymnastics party. Just home, both hires bathed and in bed and our takeaway is ordered - I'm knackered!
  • Options

wow, Vixo - sounds a tough one. well done - did you enjoy it??

and well done JohBo - amazing effort. do look after yourself tho - worried you are trying to do too much.

E is still under the weather - very very snotty now and complaining of a sore throat. but there is no way she will let me look at it.  given the amount of snot, i am assuming it is just viral. i had her in bed at 6.20pm tonight as she was soooo tired. selfishly, i hope she is ok by weds as i need to work this week. technically i guess it is T's problem as he has them on a weds, but he had a day off with her last week, as did i. not sure if he would be able to take another day off this week...

well, i have recovered now. i realised it is actually 10 years since i have vomited through over consumption of alcohol. so i guess that's not too bad really! the last time was at a christmas party (T's work) at the Celtic Manor resort in Newport - the only 5 star resort that there is around here. he told me to drink loads before we went as he wasn't paying Celtic Manor prices for drinks once we were there. so i actually threw up under the table and passed out at about 8.30pm (when the event only started at 7.30pm, and i hadn't got home from work until 6.30pm). i necked half a bottle of cava before we left home, and drank g+t from a can in the minibus on the way. no wonder i was a mess! i never drank at another of his work do's after that - i was soooo embarrassed!

• Options
    CM - umm, I enjoyed the first 7 miles or so, until the hills really did my quads in, and I'm enjoying it now! (actually, I've been feeling a bit rough actually and I think my face is sunburnt!!). Really hope E is better soon - sounds very viral, and the same sort of thing that lots of folks have had - hope you don't get it too!!

CC - great riding from your two. Isabelle likes to ride 'off road' when we go to the common, but I don't think she'd be brave enough for proper off roading! I'm definitely claiming it as a PB since it wasn't actually a half, and was b****y hard! There were other races going on too - 20 miler, 50km and 100km, so you'd have been right at home.
  • Options

Wowee, fab times from Vixo, Joh & JT & of course Lotteimage, all so so speedy compared to me!!!

Well i finished in 2.06 so a PB of 9 mins for me so shouldn't be too dissapointed but really wanted closer to 2 hrs.  My average pace started with a 9 though, whoop whoop so thats great for me image.

Lotte/CC - such a shame we didn't get to meet, i was so looking forward to it but you had to rush of. Watched the prize giving................. first man 1.05 and woman 1.15, amazing eh.

oh dear CM to the hangover, dislike lots.image.hope E feels bit better after a good, long sleep at mummy's house.

CC- great mileage from you this week. Bet the kids loved cycling up and down, was a lovely day.

Tea n biscuits and then bed as feeling a bit bleurgh!

• Options
    New Forest festival of running. But I don't think I'd fancy chancing one of the longer races - they couldn't even sort the drinks stations for the 'half' - the second one had run out!!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

I won't steal Lotte's thunder but have just discovered her time on Facebook ... wow, I'm in awe.  You will storm London love!

Fabulous racing also from JT, Vixo, JohBo and RF - well done to all of you, especially as none of you have been feeling 100% in the build-up to your races.

I had a good training run today - 18 miles, but felt good so ran the last 3 at marathon pace and it felt great!  No achiness either during or afterwards, although my lower back is aching a bit now.  Chiro said it might feel a bit achey for a while as the muscles have to get used to being in the correct position again which hasn't been the case for months (or even longer - things were probably out of alignment well before they started giving me any pain).  Pleased with today's run and the glorious weather helped enormously.  Running buddy tailed off a bit at the end but told me to go off without him so rather selfishly I did, as I really wanted to see what MP felt like and whether I could find some speed on tired legs.

CC, great mileage from you and the outings with the kids sound brilliant.

This morning after I got back from my run I cooked roast chicken for lunch with all the trimmings, while Kit played in the garden with his Transformers and hubby jetwashed the patio (decided to do it before any potential hosepipe bans kick in, and it really does use a hell of a lot of water image)  What a difference though - hubby only managed to get half done but the contrast between the two halves is profound!

LOL at the hangover, CM - but more to your description of what happened at T's work do.  I have done some embarrassing things in my time but throwing up under the table at a work do at only 8:30pm is not one of them - hilarious (although probably wasn't at the time!)  In view of how your marriage to T panned out though, I can only say what a great pity it is that you didn't do it at every one of his work dos - preferably all over him.  Or his boss image

• Options
    Having a guided tour of a beautiful orthodox monastery in Serbia with such a bad hangover I was almost sick in the flower beds...... Oh student days, what fun they were!!

Well done Lotte, vixo and Joh bo too! Vixo my friend ran a half in the new forest last Sunday - strange they should have running things on consecutive wk ends. She froze and got soaked but enjoyed it as it was all off road and in the forest, between the ponies.

Good run minks. If my hip/back pain doesn't improve I think I need sme of what your chiro did to you. Are you gong back, or was it just a one off? Did some walking today, only slowly in a park on flat ground, but it was so slow I felt like I am never going to run again. Actually feeling a bit down today, think the broken sleep is getting to me. My dad is here, and he and hubby have borne the brunt of my grumpiness this evening.

Night night
  • Options

Phew, taken a while to catch up. You'll have to forgive me as I'm never going to manage to remember everything!

Well done to  the other racers today, JT, Joh, Vixo, RF.  What a bunch of Pb smashers we are image  that includes you Joh as even if not technically a pb it was a fab run when you have such a young baby. Sounded like a tough course Vixo.

I had a lovely wee jaunt down to Inverness and as you will have seen on FB had a super run. I so wanted to do the sub 1.30 but the 1.27.41 I ended up with exceeded all my expectations (a 5 min pb). I think Fran must have put rocket fuel in my spag bog last night. image

It was really lovely to meet CC and she was such a star ferrying me around all weekend and putting me up. Scarlett and Joshua are the most lovely kids and a real credit to you . And I am still in awe at their amazing breakfast eating! 

RF - sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you. I was looking out for you before the race but it was mega busy at the sports centre and wasted most of the time queueing for the loo!

I hadn't been able to book the flight home this afternoon but decided to take a chance and try to see if I could get on it instead of staying in the travelodge overnight and coming home tomorrow. The flight was fully booked but thankfully there was a no show so I got on! Didn't tell the family so they got a big surprise when I walked in the door at 6pm. They were so shocked and pleased to have me home, it was lovely. Great timing too, as tea was ready just 5 mins after I walked in, tasty curry and a big glass of wine.

Better not sit through here on the computer much longer and I think my hamstrings need a wee bit of tlc!

• Options

See what high mileage can do girls!! image

Mind you I wish I could knock 5 mins off my PB. Or rather I would to get close to my PB. Ha! Ha! I think I will be chasing Lotte instead....

Enjoy that wine love!!

JT I need your help. Can you send me some beginners stuff. Sessions, warm ups, what types of mobility stuff you do? Struggling a bit as unsure how much a beginner can do at all tbh!! Have to plan 3 'foundation' sessions before course on Sat!!

• Options

PB tastic!!  So impressed at you all.  What amazing runs.

CC I'll have that recipe to send to my friend.

CM I was laughing so much at the description of the work do.  I recall one Law Soc ball where I decided the rosebushes in the carpark would do me perfectly well for my sleep thank you very much.  In February.  I still remember the lovely bloke Angus (who knew me from school) and his girlfriend Claire who made me get on the bus back into Aberdeen and then walked me home.  I have a bad feeling one of my friends still has the before the ball and the next day pics...not good.

I have done a lot more research into the trip to London.  With a family railcard and all of us going down Fri and back Tues so that we get a full day sightseeing on Monday we can do it for £150.  So feck it.  We're going. 

Andy passed first module of OU accounting course - hurray!!  So I opened some fizz.  Well you gotta do what you gotta do. 

And I gotta go to bed.  Night all!  Sleep well gazelles!

• Options
    £150, that's amazing EF. Great that the family will be able to come nd watch.

Think I missed RF out on my congratulations...well done too!
  • Options
    Wow, well done everyone!

CM - hope you have fully recovered now, also had to laugh at the work do incident - eek!

Poops to this viral thing - Aidan was up with a temperature again, and I feel rubbish still. Martha is fine apart from the green snots - ewk.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, I know, I know (re. the high mileage) ... humble pie being eaten!  I know it works but I just couldn't/don't want to do it, so I will settle for being as good as I can be on lower mileage.  I think a 3:19 marathon on less than 40 miles a week is pretty good going and although 3:15 would be nice in 6 weeks' time (eek!) I'd be happy with a PB which is possibly more realistic.

Caro, I've had 4 sessions with the chiro.  He wanted to see me twice a week for the first two weeks, otherwise much of what he did in the first session would probably have been undone again if the sessions were too spread out.  I saw him Thursday, and he now doesn't want to see me again until this Thursday, so a week between appointments this time.  If all OK then the appointments will gradually space out more, so one a fortnight or every three weeks.  I'll probably continue to go once a month as 'maintenance' just to make sure things stay where they should be.  Honestly, I really wish I'd made that first appointment months ago instead of thinking that more stretching would sort me out and assuming the problem was tight hamstrings.  Which it wasn't - I have absolutely no tightness in them at all now image

Once again, absolutely awesome running Lotte and great that you were able to get home earlier and surprise the family.  I know you wanted the sub-1:30 but to go under by that much must have made your day!  I assume you'll be reassessing your London target now?  CC, can I have your spag bol recipe? image  Actually I find that a good amount of meat (as well as carbs) the night before a long run makes for a much better run for me the next day - I had a large portion of beef stew and mash on Saturday night and I felt really strong yesterday.  I ate early, about 5:30pm, so we could all have tea together which gave it plenty of time to digest.

Boo to the lurgy Kinsey, seems to have been lingering a while now.

Caro, hope you're feeling less down today.  You will get back running but you do need to get to the bottom of this pelvic pain and don't assume it's all down to relaxin.  I'd book to see an osteopath in the first instance if I were you - the pregnancy/birth might have pushed things out of alignment.  Maybe give it another week or so to see if there's any improvement but if not do something sooner rather than later.

EF, £150?  That is a bargain!

• Options

Great racing this weekend from JT, Joh, Vixo, RF and Lotte - well done ladies! Fab PBs from JT, RF and Lotte too. Had to go and work out how quickly you have to run to do a 1.27 half - if my calcs are right that's an average of about 6:38 per mile!!!!! Bloody hell Lotte, I'd be happy with just one mile at that pace. Hats off to you lady!

Boo to the lurgy that's still doing the rounds (will it never end?) hope all the poorly peeps are feeling better soon.

Caro - chin up, sleep deprivation is pants but it won't be this bad forever. Take it easy now and be sure to grab some zzzzz whenever you can (if you can) during the day.

EF - £150 for all of you sounds well worth it and will be so nice for you to have them there when you finish. 

Had a lovely birthday weekend for Lily's 9th Birthday at the weekend. Can't believe she's 9, also noticed yesterday just how much she's grown recently, she's nearly up to hubby's shoulder already. Not sure where the height is coming from as hubby only 5'9", I'm 5'7" and both our mums are only about 5'2", but I'm pretty sure she's going to be taller than me at this rate. Kermit cake went down well and the girls decorated some cupcakes with the same icing so Kermit had some mini-friends too. Cinema trip to watch the Muppets and then take away pizza and a sleepover back at ours. I know I said never again after last year but this year we only had 3 girls and we didn't invite the stroppy friend or the ultra bossy friend and they were all lovely and had a great time. Although might have to add a rule next year which says you're not allowed to play hide and seek at 7am or use our bedroom as a hiding place!

Also did my first run yesterday in my innov8s - did normal run first in old Nikes and then came back to house to do another mile in the new shoes. Felt really wierd, shoes are so light and it's so different to run in shoes without a huge heel and very strange to actually be able to almost feel the floor through the shoes. Anyway, legs feel fine today so will keep building up gradually and see how I get on. So the jury's still out on them for the time-being ...

• Options

It is fast Karen but when Lotte and I do speed work we train at that pace and much quicker than that too. It's the reason that Lotte and I never run our long runs at that pace though!! I was hoping for 1:24 at Bath this year (I did 1:26 9 months after S was born) and did feel very sad at times yesterday but trying to stay focussed on my running and recovery and not mope. Marathon pace for sub 3 hours (2.58) is 6.50s!! I am only 38 so plenty of time yet, but probably no marathon for me this year. Abingdon is full and it's on the twins birthday this year so no go and they don't do elite guaranteed starts!! image

4.5 miles for me this morning. Wore garmin and was running at 8-8.30s. Proper run round the woods. Hurrah! My usual morning run route when I'm going out again later, except it's the only run I'm doing today!! Just hope I can hold it together now life is suddenly so full on again. A 4 mile run plus my 30 mins of exercises and stretching just takes so long. Plus have comm meeting for running club tonight and need to do all these session plans before course on Sat.

Suddenly life is manic. I now have 5 garden design projects on the go. Spring has sprung and everybody wants their gardens designed now. Arrhhh!!!! best crack on....

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Glad things are looking up for you again, MM.  I know that I should really do some focused speedwork but it's SO hard round here.  All the pavements are badly cambered, full of potholes and generally uneven with a lot of dropped driveways.  Given that I also do much of my running in the dark the terrain just isn't conducive to doing intervals or even fartlek really as the risk of taking a tumble is just too great.  I have twisted my feet/ankles untold times by going down an unseen pothole or forgetting there's a dropped driveway and nearly falling flat on my face!  Unfortunately there's no track anywhere near here that I know of, and impossible for me to join a running club as they all train Tuesdays and Thursdays - hubby's rowing nights.  So thwarted really - I try and do tempo runs where I can but that's about as good as it gets.  Perhaps once the evenings get lighter I'll take the car down to where I do my long runs - there are good, wide and pretty flat paths there although gravelly rather than tarmac which is harder to run on as less traction.

Glad that things are busy on the garden design front - suddenly the warmer weather arrives and makes you realise what a state the garden is in!  Good job hubby jetwashed the patio and garden furniture yesterday - it's just been announced that a hosepipe ban will take effect here from 5 April!

• Options
    Superb times JT, Lotte, Vixo and RF!

Fantastic that you're coming back MM, and business is looking up! Just as well you're not mara training?

Karen, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with your new shoes.

Caro, I hope your pelvis is holding up, and that you can get done kind of dianosis and treatment plan.

Legs starting to feel stiff this evening, but were fine this morning. I had another sports massage and she said they were nicely loose, just quads a bit tight. So all the stretching and Pilates must be doing the trick. Need to sort the Chiro appt though.

S screamed all night last night, not the best way to heal after a long race! I don't know what's up with him, maybe teething? Driving me a bit mad but I know it's a phase!!!

CM, hope you're feeling better image. I once vommed on the way out of a "pay by the hour"(but ladies free!!!) bar in Berlin, in the entrance foyer (brightly lit) and then stood on it to cover it up image. there were no solids luckily image

Yep. Classy bird image

Kinsey, hope you're feeling better too!

EF, great that you can have your loudest supporters with you!
  • Options
    Fess up lotte- were you wearing roller skates??!
    Love the drunken stories! I disgraced myself turning up for a shift as a student nurse with a stinking hangover and the lovely auxiliaries shut me in the linen store to sleep it off.....
    Minks - we do speed work on an industrial estate with a 300M straight. Do variations of 400-800 reps. REALLY boring but guess it pays off.
    EF your 150 sounds cheap as chips or is it just the train and accommodation extra!? You can tell I'm a numpty! Ooh and auto correct wants to change numpty to bumpty!!
    Still crappy here- hubby's knee is knackered, swollen and muscle mass gone. Archie has started wetting and pooing his pants again and I saw the GP earlier to get chest pain checked out so having fasting bloods and ECG tomorrow (prob indigestion but wanted to be sure!!).

Anyone watch Istanbul coverage over wkend.... Go ladies relay team!!!
  • Options
    Wow! Congrats to all you speedy runners some awesome times by all!
    Sounds like there is an equal number of you with terrible snot so hope you are all feeling better soon too.
    Well we made it home fine - the bus trip made me v glad we flew to nz with M at 5 months not 8 months. Se was good but got v bored! So lovely to be home. Mum recovering well, had a nice few days with my dad before she came home. Precious time as we were able to talk a lot particularly about my brother who died almost 5 years ago. Dad doesn't get to talk about how he feels about it a lot so it was good for both of us. He is also having some great bonding time with Matilda. Watching him outside introducing her to some cattle through the fence and then playing with her out there for ages brought a tear to my eye - reminds me very well why we moved home to nz. How could I deny them this? Also my other brother has been home lots as he farms with dad and he is fab with M.
    No opportunity for much exercise so am busy baking and eating instead!

• Options

Total beginners please JT. What they call foundation I think? I must admit all the bumpf they send you is rather unclear. Far too many words and not enough actual explanation of what is required!!

Another 2.5k in the pool this morning image. Hubbie doing a talk in Cambridge so meant I got to squeeze that one in. Try another run again tomorrow.

((Camlo)) sounds like a rough time again for you. Hope it picks up.

Usual tues for us again, music, supermarket as have no food, hopefully some work, gymnastics for boys, and then maybe coaching at club but hubbie talking about going instead. He might as well make the most of me not going cos once I'm back he won't get a look in!!! image

• Options

Great news on the running MM and that work is busy too.

I wasn't sure that my legs could sustain that pace for 13 miles either Karen! Yes indeed JT lets hope we all stay injury free for this last few weeks. But I do feel relieved that even if things go wrong now before London I do still have something to show for all those miles this winter. I did a 6 mile recovery run yesterday and then 10 miles this morning. My legs are very stiff though and a wee niggle in my hamstring so it is all slow until legs feel better. 8.30s were feeling tough today!

Camlo (()) hope things brighten up for you all.

CC - did you remember to book that osteo appt?

Hoggle - baking and eating sounds very fine. How awful that your brother died, must be so tough for you all.

EF - thats great that you can all go to London.

Minks - sounds like a plan to head to where you do your long runs for speedwork. I run in town occassionally and hate all the pavements, junction, people dodging. I can't see how people can do it but I guess you get used to it. Around here it is just me and the long winding roads!

I will have to start thinking about the cake for the twins birthday tomorrow. Wonder if  I can get away with just one cake? 

• Options

Depends what it is Lotte. We made a huge pirate ship for their 4th so one cake was fine. But year before that 3rd birthday was one James and one Thomas cake!! Year before that was  a tractor with a trailer so got with it then too and first birthday was one monkey and one lion cake. So mix of 1 and 2 cakes. Last year they got no proper cakes but I made some cupcakes and we took them to lego land with us!!

Do you have a housing estate nearby Minks? They are always useful for sessions or industrial estate good too. Our sessions in town are on the industrial estate in the winter. Then school fields in the summer. Can this chap you run with on Sunday do some speed work with you? It really does make all the difference that and lots of core work. Or dare I say it Minks some more racing from you??!! image

Same here for long winding roads and hills, but there are wider roads too where I can run a mile or half mile and turn round and come back after some recovery. There must be a way Minks. Inventiveness is the key. How about when you run in the day when Kit at school? You just need a flat-ish stretch or road and you can 400m, half mile of mile reps easily? Gravel paths are fine too. Actually better than road for the legs.

Huge food shop done. Sophie was a nightmare, delivery next week for sure!!

Fab to have time with parents Hoggle. Sometimes it really is needed. I don't get enough time with my Mum and hence sometimes we get at each other as there is no time to really talk properly.

Go careful Lotte, not worth risking it now just you can get a 10 miler in. Better to run 6 and feel OK, or break the runs into two chunks. Can you get a sports massage to ease out the tight spots?