Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Wow, busy day for everyone and advice given by others for probs sounds spot on! Only
    one thing I would add for Lady P, if milk flow is too fast for her to cope with then express for a minute first (just by hand if easier ) it usually calms down then and should be easier, and if 2nd boob is misbehaving is it because you are exposing both (hence could keep one cup on in future?) if that makes sense!!. I used tonnes of breast pads but have to say the cheapie ones were useless. good bra essential!
    make up, cakes, new houses and running all sounds great
    Email hiccups, sinus probs and absent hubby's are rubbish (well the email was just funny CM but....)
    never been to a crem with a 'smell' before thank goodness!

Just dashed into town for a nursery AGM to find the place in darkness- they've obv changed the date grrrrrrr. having spent the day hunched over a laptop I am not impressed. Eldest is also grumpy having received a text from girlfriend in uni saying him going down every other wkend was placing a huge strain on her and she needed to get out more with her friends and enjoy herself...... image
  • Options
    CC - wow, that race looks amazing, and I'm in awe that you could even consider running 100 miles and continuing overnight! It's really very close to us, so happy to provide dinner, bed and transport if we're around that weekend.

Minks - was called the new forest festival of running, and was run by a company called naked strength.

CM - I agree with what others have said. If your parents add nothing to your life, make you miserable and upset your children, then i can't see any reason to keep seeing them. It sounds as though you're building a new family for you and your kids, and their security in your love is all they will need to keep them going. Very funny email mix-up!

JT - cool! So what do you get to do for that? Will you be on the telly?!

Camlo - oh, your poor boy! Must be hard to see them hurting, but how do you say the right thing - clearly, "you'll get over it" isn't going to be particularly helpful!!

One ladybird cake made (oh, and Minks, I love baking so it isn't really a chore at all, more something I would do in my free time if I had any! I've made cakes for other people, and made our wedding cake), and a few small cakes to take to her swimming lesson tomorrow. The kitchen is finally tidy and clean again - feel like we used every bowl and utensil here! - and now just have to wait for hubby to get back from work so we can eat.
  • Options
    Well, let me know CC. You know where we are! If we're here I'm sure I could drag myself out of bed to take you to the start and wave you off - quite like an early summer morning! - and I quite fancy the idea of seeing if Isabelle could do the mile fun run on the Friday evening. We'll hopefully be heading to Switzerland at some point in June /July for a couple of weeks , but don't know when yet, so we may well be at home.

We're doing Isabelle's party on Saturday at lunchtime, to hopefully avoid too much tired grumpiness, and I'm really hoping for good weather so I can chuck them in the garden for games. Remarkably I think all bar one we've invited can come, so that's 11 or 12 children - aargh! Luckily, lots of them are children of our friends so they'll stay, chat and help, and hopefully it won't be too bad.
  • Options

I truly cannot keep up! 

As I said work have upgraded my pc.  This means that if I work off the old server I can see all my emails, they link properly with the practice management system which also works fine but I cannot have internet access nor can I dictate.  If I go on the new server I can dictate, I can see emails but not anything which has a photo or attachment of any sort which outlook helpfully blocks "to protect my privacy", they don't move and link with the practice management system, I cannot print anything but I do have internet access.  However I need to re-log in to RW which I haven't had to do for yonks and I cannot remember my password so although I can see stuff I can only post from my phone which in turn gets a shit signal in my office. 

We're a professional firm don't you know!

So happy birthday to the twins and to Isabelle.  Cakes all sound fantastic.  I did the first two years but after that all she wants is hello kitty and i'm darned if I'm faffing around making a ruddy hello kitty cake when I can buy one she'll be happier with from Sainsburys! 

The train tickets are booked!  Andy's work being arsey as usual about his time off.  Honestly I swear that I have NEVER managed to get him to get the first holiday dates I suggest.  So this time he can have Friday but not Mon or Tues.  however as he explained what it was for they are trying to work something out.  Meantime I was freaking that the costs would increase.  Went into Waverley and established that whilst I could actually have got there all of us for just £133! if I paid £180 just now then they are fully refundable and not only that but are open returns so we have the option of travelling back sun mon or tues together or, if andy comes up alone, then he has to pay the difference between a family railcard cost and the ordinary cost that that particular ticket was at the time we bought it.   However, get this, I enquired what would happen if I bought the £133 ones which are non refundable one train only types and if Andy and Lou didn't end up coming for whatever reason then (a) I couldn't get my money back on the tickets - which is clear because they are non refundable but also (b) I would have to upgrade my own ticket to a non family railcard ticket because I would not then be travelling with a child EVEN though I would have a bloody adult ticket and a child ticket I couldn't use.  That's fricking mental.  I was actually thinking I might as well hyjack a random adult and child and ask them if they would travel with me to legitimise my ticket!  Anyhoo all that hopefully will be non applicable. 

• Options

Back to the breast pads, yes lansinoh were excellent.  Also tommee tippee.  Found sainsburys or boots cheap versions useless.  Tried shells.  They leaked and filled up quickly.

CM like Minks said I too am fortunate enough to find it hard to imagine cutting my folks out of my life but then I also find it hard to imagine what they have put you and yours through because I simply don't have experience of it.  however if they are basically adding nothing but stress and strain and grief to your life without a single redeeming quality then I can quite see why you would want to just cut free. 

Oh heck I'm forgetting things.  Lotte WELL DONE. that's for the rest day image

CC I can relate to the diva/limpet as well.  Thing is that she then eventually gets confident and divas all over again in front of whoever was causing her to be a limpet. 

Camlo that's rubbish re cancelled meeting.

Caro you def deserved a rant at hubby. 

Laughed at kit's slippers Minks.  I'm actually more worried about doing that myself! I once dressed in the dark to try not to wake my other half when I had a breakfast seminar which involved being somewhere for 7.10am and got there to discover navy troos and black pinstripe jacket.  Oops.  Had to go about without a jacket and it was perishing cold and I had short sleeves! 

• Options
    JT got nowhere in the end with hmrc, as on hold for 20 mins to discover I'd called the wrong no, absolutely imposs to figure out which no to call from their website. Called a coule more and gave up! Have one more in the morning.......

As for asthma, I was diagnosed with it last yr after having an intermittent, but chronic cough for yrs. I did the tests at the drs, then went for a run then did them again and lungs were way worse post run - that was when they told me I had the lungs of a 50 yr old or something.
    Haven't taken the inhalers for ages as obviously not really running much, but they did help so will start again when back at it. Interestingly never really felt wheezy as such, but did cough a lot, mostly when not running. London pollution prob doesn't help.

So who wanted to hit the annoying midwife in OBEM tonight? And did anyone else thnk that huge baby at the end had unusually large bollocks?..

Right, now should sleep, but am surprisingly awake.....sods law.
  • Options
    Ugh, just watching the news again about the coach crash in switzerland. How absolutely horrific for those poor parents. I'm counting my blessings tonight - and hoping I never have to let my children too far out of my sight! I think I could somehow cope with most things..but I have no idea how you even being to cope with anything happening to your children.
  • Options

Karen and Hoggle that is so sad that you have both lost a sibling.  My dad's brother died when dad was really young and my gran frankly never got over it.

Minks yes the marathon dreams are in my head in earnest but they are all really awful about dying on the route.  Made me think I must get life insurance sorted out as we've never upped it after moving house.  Got myself all emotional imagining Lou and andy waiting at the end and me not appearing.......honestly.  And they just keep going round and round.  Whereas realistically if I did have an underlying problem then I am probably more likely to survive the marathon than a 20  mile training run as there would be medical attention within minutes.  And of course I've actually been checked and I know my heart is healthy.  Though I do have the words of the consultant that it's not a good idea to sit with it at 180bpm for hours at a time but I think that was along the lines of it being a muscle and the idea of exercise is to make it more efficient and beat more slowly rather than undo all the good work by allowing it to beat frenetically for hours on end.  Of course what did I do - I stopped wearing HRM so I didn't know what it was doing.  What you don't know can't hurt you.  Right?!

set up sponsorship page and I'm over my target of £750 already (incl gift aid) so I am well pleased.  Running for Cystic Fibrosis Trust.  Waiting on my running vest.

My new tumble dryer arrived today.  Hoorah.  Sick of seeing my pants hanging all round the house.  Roof finally got fixed after the storms in January too! 

• Options

Vixo, I had to avoid the news tonight.  I cannot cope with anything happening to children at all.  If anything happened to Louise I do not know what I would do.  It's selfishly one of the reasons I wanted more than one child because at least there would be a reason to keep on going.

Caro I have a mental picture of said baby now.

Have to post in chunks so I don't lose it and so I can scroll about and remind myself what's said!

Went into Louise's room the other night.  Was starting to brush my hair as I went in and she was sitting listening to Andy reading.  She looked at me, turned her hands over with a shrug and said, mummy, whose room do you think this is?  ERRR. 

AF here hence deciding to start my fundraising. Had terrible tummy pains today.  However I managed my 8 mile tempo tonight.  Was supposed to be 8.30 but did 8.23.  That's actually the same as I did the 15 at at the weekend but I guess that I was doing tonight after 3 days work, when I had hardly any sleep last night and post a 4 x 1600m speed sesh yesterday.  I have established that I definitely do all my workouts faster than the schedule exept for the long intervals.  simply cannot do the 1600m reps at a speed in line with my long runs and 400m reps.  This almost certainly explains why my 10K time is not sub 45!

Right best think about a last cuppa and bed.  Night night.  Enjoy thursday everyone.

• Options
    Haha Caro, very annoying and VERY big!!!!
    EF - fab fundraising!! Am always nervous of having a target to reach but people do surprise you sometimes with their support. perhaps you ought to knock now before intruding!
    JT - exercise induced asthma is more common than people think so if you are getting wheezy and inhaler is helping sounds likely? If worse after outside runs then could be allergy induced - tree sap? Spores? I could be dreaming that though??!!
    Slippers to school, oh dear Minks at least he realised! I once went to college with odd shoes. I also hate it if I catch sight of myself at work and think my hair looks greasy or my eyebrows need plucking and I want to hide under my desk! was going to have an early night ..... Can't turn this blimmin iPad off though.
  • Options
    Camlo i am lucky - i have a ballot place so fundraising is optional. I had just set a target cos it asks you to do so!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

JT, WTF???  What is it with these medical "professionals"?!  No experience of exercise-induced asthma (or any other asthma for that matter, luckily) but even Paula Radcliffe has it apparently!

CM, LOL at the misdirected email - at least it didn't say anything rude!  I once sent one to my hubby when I was at a previous job - I was on my own in the office, no-one was around and I sent him an emial to say that I was feeling lonely and fed-up ... except I sent it to my department instead of my hubby.  Didn't realise until the faculty started coming in and asking me if I wanted company if I was feeling lonely ... oops! image  Now I always check the 'To' box before I press 'Send'!

I'd have the same thought as you re. Scarlett's party, CC.  Much better to do it when they're not about to go into meltdown.  Kit had a party to go to after school on Friday and by the time it finished (at 6pm) he was totally shattered.  I then had to get him home and try to make him eat something as of course none of them touched any of the food at the party - really don't know why anyone bothers with anything other than cake and crisps!  I'd planned to whizz some leftover lasagne in the microwave - but discovered that hubby had taken it to work for his lunch!  Luckily halfway through it had occurred to him that maybe I'd left it in the fridge for a reason (doh!) and he didn't eat it all, so there was enough left for Kit.  Had to feed it to him in front of the TV but at least he ate it and was MUCH happier afterwards!  He's been invited to another party after school on Tuesday ... sigh!

EF, I totally know where you're coming from re. having one child.  I feel exactly the same.  Not that you'd have a second child as a 'spare' exactly (!) but I would not know how to keep going if anything happened to Kit.  My heart was breaking reading about those poor children and their families in Belgium.  No-one should ever have to lose a child.  And Camlo, poor eldest having his heart broken.  I know I will want to kill whichever girl does that to Kit when he's older!

Well, my back is totally bu**ered.  On the right side this time, not where I had all the previous niggles.  It's felt 'locked' for a few days now, a little uncomfortable but not painful.  Went for my usual midweek 10 miler last night but felt good so ran it hard - middle 6 miles or so were around marathon pace - then in the last couple of miles I could really feel it starting to hurt.  As soon as I stopped when I got home I could barely move, and every move was total agony.  Lay on the floor and iced it, and hubby massaged ibuprofen gel into it.  A night's rest has helped a bit but it's really sore - and I can't put all my weight on my right foot so am kind of limping around.  Seeing chiro tonight so crossing everything he can sort me out - will be gutted if I can't run now, just when I'm starting to feel that all the training is coming together.

• Options

JT - was he being serious? How ridiculous!

Minks - bugger, hope the chiro can sort you out tonight - fingers crossed!

EF - I think it's pretty safe to say you won't die on the way round especially after the fab training you've been putting in. My hubby also had marathon dreams before last year, think it was a bit contagious actually as I had one too and I wasn't even racing the marathon. In mine I went in one of the portaloos half way round and then forgot I was in the middle of a race and just wondered off then later when I realised I should have been racing it was like there was every possible obstacle in my way stopping me from re-joining the race. Funny how worries can work their way into dreams.

Camio - uh oh, sounds like there might be some heartbreak ahead for your eldest, poor thing, we've all been there image.

Caro - we also watched OBEM, assume you're talking about the fluffy midwife, she was just un-naturally nice and calm, made you want to hit her really. Must have turned over before they showed the huge bollocks though ... idea of them made me laugh though!

CM - like others, although not in your situation I can totally understand why you're cutting off contact, think you're much better off without them in your life right now.

EF - likewise had to avoid the news yesterday, it was on the TV at the gym yesterday lunchtime and could feel myself welling up just reading the subtitles. The poor parents, just doesn't bear thinking about, totally horrible. As Minks asked, my brother died by falling downstairs and breaking his neck. He had a lot of "issues" with alcohol and drugs so we were always concerned that it could end up with him dying young but this was a complete accident in the end. Oh, and he died on what would have been his 29th birthday and I had to identify his body with my mum the next day - without a doubt the worst experience of my entire life. Sorry, bit morbid today ...

Anyway, have flexi day off to look forward to tomorrow, taking Anna to the pond in the forest to feed the ducks which she's already very excited about. Let's hope the weather stays nice all weekend. Have a lovely Mothers Day all x

• Options
    Just got Eric's passport in the post........it is so cute image Even if I don't say so myself.
  • Options

oh dear, Minks. that does sort of sound like SI joint. i wonder if the chiro adjusting your pelvis has shifted things around and caused it to go because it's not used to things being in a different position. as it were. i know when i had some osteo treatment for a while, my back suddenly went really badly because i was out of my normal 'kilter'.

karen - such a sad story about your brother. i can imagine that would just be the worst thing to have to do.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Oh, sh*t, CM - hope it's not SI; that's pretty serious isn't it?  I did wonder that myself about whether it may have been caused by my chiro shifting things around - ironically all the problems I went to him with originally have been completely resolved and I have no niggles there whatsoever any more.  Now I'm a bit worried about being manipulated again in case it causes further problems.  But I can't leave my back as it is currently as it really is very uncomfortable indeed.

Karen, that's dreadful about your brother, and I can't imagine anything more awful that having to ID a body.  Hope you enjoy your flexi day tomorrow and fingers crossed the weather holds.  Hubby is doing the Head of the River race on Saturday (reverse Boat Race route, Mortlake to Putney) and I'm hoping to go and watch with Kit as long as it's not freezing cold and tipping it down with rain.  And as long as I can walk properly, of course image

Whya re there so many dreadful GPs around?  Sorry, but it seems that there are a fair few of us who have had bad experiences lately (CM and JT for sure, and not particularly impressed with mine over a) hubby's knee and b) my thrush episode last year).  I think there's a real problem at our surgery as last time I went every name on every door was a locum, and hubby was asked to complete a customer questionnaire on the service being provided by the surgery.

Caro, Kit's passport photo is really cute too, even though he was 3 and not a baby when we had it done image

• Options
    minks - i am sure the chiro will sort it out for you. my back pain went almost completely after my first manipulation from the chiro and mine was SI joint. now i have stiffness and my hamstrings are terrible. not sure whether that is because they really ARE terrible or whether it's still residual stuff from my back...
  • Options
    Minks I've had SI issues for quite a long time now, since I fell and landed REALLY hard on my coccyx/lower back, I just have to be careful. Of course it all flared up in pregnancy again.

Hoggle/Karen so tragic with your brothers. Hubby, my dad and I were discussing death, funerals etc last night, after the funeral yesterday. Nice topic!

Karen, which pond in the forest? Have you ever been to the park in chingford where there is a model railway run by enthusiasts, that is open at wk ends for kids to ride on? We've never been but friends say its good.

Spoke to a LOVELY man in HMRC today who said exactly what I wanted him to say, that I'm still entitled to the vouchers, that thy can't deduct them from my SMP and that they can't make me sign something to say I have to pay hem back if I don't go back to work. I tried to call HR today, first thing, and left a message to be called back-well they didn't bother. So I shall be calling again tomorrow, and the HMRC man has given me the no for the SMP Disputes dept, and said that if my employers don't comply to tell them I shall be calling the disputes dept and giving them my employers name, which I shall do gladly!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Good for you, Caro - hope you get it sorted!

CM, I first went to my chiro because of the deep butt niggle but I had really tight, sore hamstrings too.  he felt that my hamstring issues were back-related and so it proved.  Feels like whatever is wrong right now is something trapped and/or 'locked' so I'm really hoping he can release it as I am in major discomfort.  I really, really don't want to have to pull out of VLM now, just when I feel everything is coming together trainingt-wise and the race is only 5 weeks away ...

• Options

Minks - fingers crossed its nothing that a wee clunk won't help! I think I need a trip back to the chiro or maybe just a good sports massage. Problem is with hubby home all the time I can't just sneak off for a visit without telling him! I know what his reaction will be if I book an appt. Mind you if he would get some bloody work money wouldn't be such an issue!!!

Caro - good news about the vouchers. Hope you sort it out. 

Karen - that is so tragic.(())

JT - how ridiculous of your GP!

Busy old day here. Did my 14 mile midweek long run at silly oclock. Then my pal came around while the boys were at nursery and I did her 6 mile run/walk with her. This afternoon the twins had their swimming lesson and then I had to bundle them in the car and drive back 10 miles to the school to pick up all the other kids and then back to the pool for Reece's swimming lesson and the older 3 had swimming club. Home for tea now (which hubby has kindly made while we were out, a friend is taking Em and Dylan home in a bit and then either hubby or I will have to go back the 10 miles to pick up Sophie who is still swiming, come home and then I have to go back the same 10 miles to a swimming club committee meeting. Tomorow Sophie and Dylan are heading off on the boat for an athletics trip to compete in Aberdeen and I still have their bags to sort out. So better get off here and do some sense!

• Options
    JT you should def do the peak flow pre and post run, and compare. I also did a lung function test pre and post as well, which measured volume of air, speed of expiration etc, and the results were all worse post run as well.

My cousins were supposed to be coming today, bringing baby Toby, born in dec, over to meet cousin Eric, but due to the A40 being closed in NW London the traffic round them was terrible, so they gave up. Boo. Lovely sunny day here, so went for a walk with Eric this morning and took them both to the park this afternoon.
  • Options
    Just a quickie, in bed already......just wondering who had one of those teach your kids when to wake up clocks and what they thought. Did not appreciate M screaming outside my room at 6.30 this morning, and I think it will only get worse as the mornings get lighter.

Night night xx