Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Caro - we have the gro clock and has worked really well for us. Would definitely recommend.
  • Options
    yes - two gro clocks here and they are fab. both of my kids are utterly programmed to obey them. to the point where J stayed in his room until 7.30am on xmas morning!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Another fan of the Gro Clock here - Kit does wake up, but he knows to stay in his room until his sun comes out.  Even on Christmas Day, bless him!  Would definitely recommend.

You were right, CM - SI joint totally locked by torsion of the pelvis.  Chiro did quite a lot of manipulation and deep massage and when I left I was walking more freely but in a lot of pain.  Had to ice for 20 minutes every 90 minutes yesterday evening, so three sets of 20 minute icings between getting home and going to bed.  Also took remains of hubby's diclofenac tablets yesterday to reduce any inflammation.  Not allowed to run today and possibly not tomorrow, and my chiro wasn't overly keen on the fact that I have a 20-miler to do on Sunday.  He's very supportive of my marathon training but did say that if I wasn't doing VLM, he would stop me running for two weeks to allow the treatment to be properly effective.  At the moment he's treating me, then I'm not giving it any time to settle down before pounding it all out of alignment again.  Saying that, my spine was still straight although pelvis had moved again, so not all bad.  He did think my couple of miles at MP at the end of Sunday's long run coupled with me giving my body a good thrashing over 10 miles on Wednesday did the damage, so faster stuff is also banned for the moment too.

So I am in a dilemma as to whether to continue with my VLM plans or not.  Chiro says he can get me through it, but that's not particularly positive - and if faster running is a problem then what do I do in the race?  Worried that back could go at any time and it could be mid-race which would be horrible.  Saying that, I've completed nearly 11 out of 16 weeks of training, and to pull out now would be depressing.  I could defer, but wanted to do VLM this year a) because it's Olympic year and b) because I don't want to do another marathon after this and the thought of deferring and facing another winter of training doesn't hugely appeal.  But equally I don't want to do long-term damage to myself because I'd rather be able to run 10 miles every Sunday for the next 10 years than run one really fantastic race that messes me up long-term.  Maybe I should rest today and possibly tomorrow, see how the 20 goes on Sunday then make a decision - but I also feel that in the circumstances I shouldn't be doing the 20 on Sunday (chiro also said something shorter would be preferable).  Having missed one of my planned 20s though I really need to do the other 3 ...

JT, how about either doing 10 today at an easier pace, or maybe 5-6 at MP if you feel up to it?  Then your long run nice and easy on Saturday.  If your legs are feeling trashed I'd ditch the idea of the faster session (shame I never listen to my own advice, eh?!)

CC, if you're running that kind of distance I'd say a fuel stop mid-run is perfectly justified, and what could be nicer than tea and cake?  The only problem may be motivating yourself to get back out for the remaining 10 miles once you've stopped ...

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Should have said that after being in a lot of pain last night, I am pretty pain-free this morning.  Everything feels much looser - otherwise I would not even be considering running this weekend.  Yesterday I couldn't have run even if I'd wanted to.  Today I'd definitely be wary but feeling more hopeful that a run tomorrow might be a possibility - if I can convince hubby, that is!
  • Options

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, and was hoping someone may be able to help me! I have been running for a couple of years now injury free. I had my second child 5 months ago, and recently bought a jogging pushchair. My first few runs were great, but over the last few weeks i have developed a pain on the inside of my ankle. I can put pressure on it, it hurts when i walk downstairs and when i flex my ankle inwards. I can pin point the pain when i touch my ankle, so it seem localised. It's at the top of my ankle on the bone. I have rested it, rubbed creams, iced, and strapped it up! I can only manage a couple of K's at the moment before the pain starts again. I am loathed to pay to see a sports therapist as i am still on mat leave, and they cost a fortune! I need to run for my sanity!!!!Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated' as it's really getting me down at the moment.

Thanks

Evelyn image

• Options

minks - doubt very much you will do yourself long term damage if you run. the worst thing that will happen is that it will pop back out again and you will need to be reclunked.

can you do a longer run on tuesday (am i right in thinking you don't work on tuesday)?

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

True, CM - but not good if it pops out mid-marathon as I am then totally unable to run.  I do wonder also whether continual manipulation and clunking causes weakness over time - although I'm nowhere near that stage yet.

A longer run on Tuesday is a possibility - although I do have stuff I need to get done as no other free days to do it, but might be possible to juggle things a bit.  Will see how it goes in the next day or so and how my back feels.  It is heaps better today though which is encouraging.

Welcome Evelyn, no idea what that could be I'm afraid.  Have you tried the usual icing it, taking anti-inflammatories and resting it for a few days?

• Options

Hi Minks,

Have done everything. I rested it for nearly 2 weeks, and still only managed a cople of K before it set in. I can only imagine that i have changed my running style to accomodate the pushchair. Looks like i will need to part with the cash, and see someone!

• Options
    sounds like it could be tibialis posterior syndrome - i had the same thing. do you have supportive enough trainers?
  • Options

Not sure... i have had them for 3 years, and had no problems with them until now.

• Options
    The same shoes for 3 yrs or the same type of shoe? If the actual shoes are 3 yrs old then I think it's time for a change.........
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

If you've been wearing the same pair of shoes for three years then that may well be the problem!  What was your mileage like before you had your baby and during pregnancy?  Good rule of thumb is to change shoes at +/- 500 miles.

• Options
    oh no where near that!! Ialso didn't train for most of my pregancy, so they weren't getting used. I was speaking to the chap in my local running shop and he has suggested that i take them in so he can have a look at the, and also tell me if they are giving me enough support.
  • Options

evelyn - it sounds like an ankle instability issue. the main cause of these things is over-pronation. so you need to check that you shoes are giving you enough support and that they aren't worn out. if you saw a physio, they would probably give you lots of strengthening exercises to do for the ankle and lots of proprioception exercises too. so standing on one foot and closing your eyes and trying not to fall over! also lots of achilles stretches, calf stretches and heel raises off a step.  also bending your knee over your ankle while facing a wall and seeing how close you can get your knee to the wall without taking your heel off the ground.

i have been to see the chiro today and my pelvis is much straighter now but my hamstrings are buggered. he is suggesting lots of strengthening of hammies, plus flexibility and strengthening for hips and quads. most of my problems seem to be rooted in my scoliosis. i have a curve in my spine so that at the point where it joins my pelvis, it is curved the wrong way. i knew this anyway as i had xrays and MRIs in my teens due to chronic shoulder pain.  this means that my pelvis is always tilted and it is what gives me my significant leg length discrepancy. he said 'it doesn't mean you can't run'. at which point i said 'well, to be honest, i don't care if it does. i still will anyway!'. he laughed. but basically i am always going to have problems and would have had problems anyway eventually even if i hadn't been a runner. i think i do pretty well only to be sidelined once every 18 months or so by the sounds of it. it also accounts for why ALL my problems (achilles, tibialis posterior, knee, hip, back, shoulder) problems are all on one side of my body - the right side, which is the way my pelvis is tilted!

• Options
    oh and evelyn - because it is likely to be a tendon issue, i will take AGES to improve. you can get ultrasound on it (which costs) - otherwise you can try massaging the tendon which runs from along the side of your shin and joins your ankle bone...
  • Options
    thanks CM. I am just going to have to be patient and stay off it until it feels 100%
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    JT/CM, ditto - the only thing that stops me running is if something hurts too much for it to be physically possible to do so.  Otherwise all advice not to is studiously ignored!
  • Options
    Minks - meant to say ages ago, I love Bobbi Brown corrector for under the eyes - it makes me look presentable on even the worst days, plus they do a mascara which is the first I have found that doesn't smudge!!

Hi Evelyn, I'm not much help on ankles, my problems are my hips/back!

Have been reading but not really keeping up, also can't post from my phone and then I forget what everyone has said!

JT - your doctor sounds rubbish! That peak flow does sound low. Did the doctor even give you one to try? Bloody gp's - totally random!
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't posted much as life has been getting in the way a bit. Manage to read but not post. On the feet issue, I wondered if any of you have had problems with feet changing size during pregnancy. I have run in the same type of shoes for 10+ years with no issues, but after having second child am finding that the tops of my toes feel bruised after almost every run. Im sure I read somewhere that it could happen, but sounds a bit odd.
    And I second (or third) the gro clock recommendations. Has worked a treat and we even manage a lie in some weekends by changing the time the sun comes up! Only slight problem is if the little devils pull the plug out the back as it doesn't have battery back-up.
  • Options

Ionasmum - yes, my feet have done something odd too since my second pregnancy. i am now wearing running shoes a whole size bigger than i was before, but i'm still finding my toes go to sleep, in spite of having just about the widest shoes on the market...

and yes, i second the issue that there is no battery backup on the gro-clock. if there is a power cut, or if they pull the clock towards them to have a look (which is what J tends to do) and pull the power out of the back, it goes blank.  so we have had a fair few middle of the night wake-ups caused by the fact that J's clock 'hasn't got any stars on it'. i do worry that he is maybe a little too reliant on the clock now. when he goes to sleep, he turns it so that it is basically right in his face. and i always have to remember to pack it when we go away anywhere, otherwise he ends up calling out in the middle of the night. but hopefully that will only last until he can read the time properly, and he isn't far off doing that now.

i didn't think it would work with my monkey of a daughter as she is much less 'condition-able' that J. but she sticks to the clock resolutely too. i introduced it to her as soon as she went into a bed, so she was about 2.5 yrs and it has worked perfectly. J was a bit older when he got his.

• Options
    Just v quick, off to library but I was told you need to change your shoes after a yr, even if they have just sat in your cupboard! Apparently they can deteriorate even when not worn..........
  • Options
    Really Caro? Wonder why?!

We have a gro clock but to be honest Martha is excellent at totally ignoring it!
  • Options
    This was the clock I was lo owing at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onaroo-Nightlight-Sleep-Trainer-Clock/dp/B002RNKOM2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3LS7XD8B82EM0&colid=3A332VGNFLPUA

Because it was a) th cheapest(!) but also it does tell the time as well, and is an alarm clck for when she is a bit older. It just goes green when it s ok for them to get up, and gets good reviews.
  • Options
    Think shoes r designed 2 b biodegradable nowadays so that probably why they break down after a year.

My feet grew with each baby 2, was 5.5 in early 20s, now a size 7.

Tx