Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Good luck cragchick. Clear and blue sky here this morning, hope it's the same for you!
  • Options
    Just a quickie - I'm doing a 10k this Sunday and I just wanted reassurance that I'm ok to do it?  I'm not sure how I'll feel but considering I got a post-baby pb on my last run my friends will be expecting similar...image  I'm taking a friend's number too so it's won't go down well if I drop out!  I think with previous pregnancies I've been a lot more cautious but maybe I didn't need to be?
  • Options
    JG - I did a 10k PB in the blistering heat in Canada when I was 6 weeks pregnant with the twins. I think it depends on a few things, on how your running has been going - if you have still been training your normal load then run it like you would had you not been pregnant, but if you have been taking it more easily I wouldn't go out and overdo it?  Also you have to be sure how you would feel if - worst case senario - something does happen to the pregnancy in the next few weeks. I always took the view that what was meant to be would be (without being totally stupid) but it depends if you  (or your partner) would blame yourself. Can you develop a niggly knee as an excuse to take it a bit easier if you don't feel comfortable about pushing yourself?!
  • Options
    It is the house of poo and spew here today. Hubby got the twins up this morning while I was out for a run and Cam had spewed all over his bed and Lewis has pooed all up his back and out his nappy! I got in to find a flustered hubby and a very smelly house. And things have only got worse. Both have had 3 changes of clothes and two baths already. Not nice. They are sleeping just now. Oh I hope the rest don't get it  or it will be a fun weekend.
  • Options

(((Lotte))) Oh no, just what you don't need. Really hope the twins are better soon and that the older ones don't get it.

JG - would echo Lotte's wise words about your 10K. I did a few races when I was having JP but not in the early stages because I was feeling so pants! Go for it if you feel OK, otherwise I like Lotte's idea of developing a knee niggle!

CC - GOOD LUCK for tomorrow! Hope the weather is OK. And to Camlo too for the 17 miler.

MM - LOL, you are now at about my pace on a fast day!

Minks - hope you're better now.

Feeling horrid here - I've got a migraine again.image Second time in about 10 days. Have been getting a bit stressed of late, so think that is one trigger, but I'm also going to start keeping a food diary and see if there's anything else setting me off. If I get another one any time soon, I am going to see my GP. I've been so conscious about trying to not feel low and depressed, that I've gone the other way almost and been getting angry!! I'm not sure what's worse, depression or this pain!! Sorry guys, v. self-indulgent post!

• Options

Like it Lotte!  I do have back and knee issues so they could easily crop up again image  Thanks for advice ladies.

Boo to the spew and poo, poor hubby!

TB - (((())))) hope it passes soon, I've never had a migraine but they sound nasty.  Definitely don't suffer in silence.

Btw I don't think I updated my sister's crazy text situation?  Having said she was going to sleep on the street and get drunk after a row with her housemate, she then worked it all out and said she was fine!  I got a bit annoyed as she obviously wasn't, and she admitted since then she's felt wiped out and like she's been hit by 2 buses.  I think she should get help but she seems to be happy self-diagnosing - I guess she's lived with depression for several years so knows how to manage it??

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

Wpw loads to catch up on!

Good luck CC!

Minks - hope you feel better.  I've had a cold for a week now and can't shift it.  Hope Kit settles at nursery - I'm lucky that Nate loves it but then he's been going since he was 3 months old so knows no difference.

JG - I did a lot of races when I was pregnant with Nate and a few with this one too - early stages included.  As long as you feel fine I would go for it but don't feel pressured to put in more effort than you're comfortable with!

Had my 21 week scan today and all looks fine with my little girl - very relieved!  Also bought Nate his first pair of walking shoes so very proud mummy!

• Options

Quick post as hubby wanting to watch a film....

Minks-winter wedding in a marquie (oops can't spell)- don't assume it will be freezing- I went to 1 in October & they had it all lined & heated. Can you tell if it's going to be a 'posh' or a 'budget' affair beforehand?

JG-Running / racing when Preg- Paula Radcliffe did so guessing as long as you listen to your body & don't over exert yourself then fine (although no ultra's etc image).

Lotte-Locking keys in the car is a worry of mine too- Tom slammed the house door when I was outside & I had to use the spare key to get in, felt sick at the thought of smashing a window! At least Rhys was old enough to sort you out!

CC - we should be OK, weather forecast is showing distinct showers rather than gales image Have packed my survival pack for tomorrow although hope I won't get lost! It's the longest I've ever attempted before (17m) but feel a lightweight compared to you!

Chynah-glad your scan was OK!

TB-hope the migraine goes-never suffered myself but understand they are poo. 

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Feeling I may finally have turned a corner with this cold - although the earache comes and goes still despite the antibiotics.  Went back to work yesterday as I had no choice - stuff to do and no-one to delegate it to - and felt completely awful.  Everyone kept telling me how horrible I looked and sounded which wasn't exactly encouraging.  I left early and by the time I got home I had actually started to feel a bit better.  Have felt about 100% better today than yesterday but still a way to go before I really do feel normal again.

I think we've decided not to go to the wedding.  It's just a push too far this close to Christmas.  All of last weekend was written off in terms of getting things ready for Christmas as we were both ill, and to be honest I don't need the additional expense of a wedding outfit (plus hat, shoes etc) when my credit card is already overloaded.  If she was my best friend of course I'd go, but we only really get together about 3 times a year and to be honest we were quite surprised to be invited.  I've only met her partner once.  She will be the only person hubby and I know so I don't think we'd be hugely missed.  I might have a quick trawl around the local shops tomorrow (am NOT doing central London!) and if a dress or something leaps out at me I may reassess, but otherwise we'll probably cancel and hubby and I will have a night out on our own instead.  MM and CC, thanks for tip re. Next - will definitely have a look, although I have to say their size 6 petiites are usually too big on me.  Used to fit perfectly but think they have changed the proportions or something as the last few things I've tried on in store have swum on me.

CC, fingers crossed for the weather for you tomorrow (you too, Camlo) - looking forward to hearing all about it.  Nutter!!

TattyB, that's not good about the migraine.  Hope you don't get another one.  Do you think it's the stress of needing to complete your PhD that's causing them?

JG, no reason you shouldn't race if you want to.  I wouldn't go eyeballs-out but a fairly high level of exertion won't harm you as long as you don't overheat (not much danger of that at the moment!)  I did a lot of my runs in pregnancy at quite a good pace - remember managing sub-8 miles a few times at around 5-6 months which was naughty but felt OK so why not?  Your body will definitely let you know what it does and doesn't find acceptable.

Lotte - ugh to the 'poo and spew'.  Gross.  Hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the family.

Hoping to catch up a bit this weekend - we want to put the tree and decorations up, I really HAVE to start writing the Christmas cards (a job I loathe) and I need to wrap my brother's family's presents as he's popping into my mum's on Sunday and can take them home, as we are definitely going to Wales for Christmas.  Mum might have to get the train to brother's on Christmas Eve as the traffic will be hell so the less she has to carry, the better.

Hubby has gone out with my brother and his friends tonight - it won't be pretty.  He is mad after being ill all week and being on antibiotics but you can't tell them, can you?  One of my brother's friends has just got engaged, another has just had a baby boy this week (well, his partner did!) and my brother's best mate has just announced he and his wife are expecting after about 5 years of trying to get pregnant.  They've been having IVF so it has obviously been successful.  Really pleased for them as they have wanted it so desperately.  But it will mean a big night of drinking for the boys ... image

• Options
    just literally saying hello hope all well, no time to read through just now. Have been ill last couple of weeks..seems longer but hope to be back on here paying attention soon x
  • Options
    hello,i just could not find my way around the new site,it hasnt saved any of my stuff!cant seem to access my profile etc
    ive entered for Watford half in feb,it was a nightmare for me last year,i was ill for a week after it so im hoping for better luck this year!
    Lotte,you poor thing with the ill twins,cross fingers we havent had a peuk bug here in a bit,it is the house of snot for us=permanently!
  • Options

yippee- I'm home.  The 17 mile was hard (muddy, hilly, muddy, hilly) but at least it stayed dry, think I'm going to lose some toe nails as feet were slipping about in my trainers (bought too big) & they were wet through. Lots of tea, soup, sandwiches, saled & cake at the finish- ate so much I look 6 months preg! 

Cher- why were you ill after the half? I suffer for a day or 2 but not a week! 

Julie- hope you feel better soon. 

Minks- I know what you mean about not always wanting to go to weddings despite getting an invite! Sometimes the effort & cost is not justifyable.Doesn't mean you can't get a new dress though! Good luck with the card writing, a job I hate aswell (and wonder why we bother!!)

• Options
    Well done Camlo!  So impressed. image
  • Options
    Well I've decided not to do it in the end, have told my friends I'm not feeling great today - haven't expanded on that yet!  Today I've felt sick since I got up this morning, I think I'm tired which doesn't help, and it would mean another early start tomorrow so I've decided to give it a miss.  Guess that's my body telling me not to bother! 
  • Options

Wow, visit here for first time in months and it seems as though JG and Chynah are pregnant (and the whole site design has changed - when did that happen?)!  Congratulations to the both of you and to anyone else I've missed out.  Great news!

Been keeping up with some of you via Facebook but still feel terribly out of touch ... hopefully over Christmas some sanity will come back into my life and I'll have a bit more time to catch up with everyon.

Not much running to report as I've had a whole catalogue of lurgies this term, culminating with having a bad reaction to some antibiotics, but I'm ticking over and looking forward to going for a run later today ... MrB is currently on his way back from Morocco (he's been there all week for work) and when he gets home I am into my running shoes and straight out of that door!  (well, not immediately, but you know what I mean).

Back in a couple of weeks, hope everyone is good.  xx

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Hi LizzyB, good to see you back and hope life calms down a bit for you soon!

Camlo, very well done on the 17-miler.  Sounded tough.  JG, I think as I said before your body will let you know what it does and doesn't feel like doing so I never worried too much about overdoing things as I knew mine wouldn't let me!

Well, I finally feel I am clawing my way free of the grip of this horrible cold/lurgy.  Felt pretty much back to normal yesterday apart from the residual snottiness - but at least the gunk coming out my nose is clear now rather than green as it was earlier in the week (sorry if TMI!)  The infection seems to have cleared as earache has finally completely gone (yay!) and I feel like my 'normal' self again.

Have been (for me!) sensible though - went out for a very easy 3-miler last night (in the pouring rain, probably not THAT sensible then!) and have just done a 'short long' run of 8 miles which I would do in an easy recovery week.  It felt fine although I was a bit like a car whose engine hasn't been turned over for a couple of week: a bit throaty and sluggish at first but smoother after a few miles!  Forgot to take a hanky and had to blow my nose into my hand a couple of times then wipe it in the grass - nice!  I do things as a runner I'd never do otherwise, which is actually quite liberating sometimes!

Hope CC got on OK ...

Tree and decs now up, some presents wrapped and 2/3 of the cards written and ready to post.  We are back on track for Christmas!

• Options

Glad you're feeling better Minks! Sounds like you did well to get out for 8 miles given the week you've had. And must be nice to feel that you're on track for Christmas too.

Camlo - well done on the 17 miles! Very impressive. I wonder how CC got on.....

JG- sounds like you did the right thing with the race. I remember finding it hard to just keep up the running at the beginning of pregnancy let alone race.

Oops....sorry this is gonna be a short message. Poorly baby here again - up all night Fri and Sat night with temps over 39 and now she's just woken up (typical that it's as soon as I sit down to write - but I have at least been for a run). Hubby is going to be away from tonight until Friday so i hope she gets better soon.

Sorry to everyone I've missed.....

• Options

Camlo - well done on your race.

Also wonder how CC got on.

Minks - good to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

And nice to hear from Lizzy and Cher.

The twins seem much better today. Poo much firmer and no spew.! Just keeping fingers crossed no-one else come down with it.

Managed a 30 miler on the bike yesterday in the wind and a lovely good for the soul run today! 10 soggy miles with a bit off road and across the beach. Beach was deserted as usual and these two seals followed me right down the length of the beach in the surf, they were so close I could see all their marking and lovely eyes!. Then I had to wade through a burn at the bottom because it was so full with rain and the tide was in, before slipping my way up a muddy hill to the road!  Usually you can jump it! Still my feet were wet anyway so no matter. Why does it feel so liberating to get  muddy and wet and be called a nutter! Was surprised to have averaged 8.15 min miles and only a slight pain in the bum. Lots of sitting on ice for the rest of the afternoon just incase! 

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

• Options
    X post Yve. Hope Keana is better soon.
  • Options
    WOW CC! Fantastic effort. Well done you and what a great time. Your prize sounds lovely too. Very impressed. Hope you recover well and are not too sore.
  • Options
    Another impressed one here - sounds hellish!! Hope you get a bath once the kids are in bed, and a nice glass of wine.
  • Options
    Brilliant CC, what a great achievement. And a fab prize too!
  • Options

Well done CC!

Strange, the mere mention of wine turned my stomach just then...!  And I seem to be back on my no vegetables early pregnancy diet - couldn't eat my broccoli last night or today image.  Just seem to be troughing constantly to stave off the crappy feeling.  Can I take paracetamol?  Haven't got any but could get some tomorrow - I seem to have a permanent headache image.

Hi LizzyB, great to hear from you, hope you are taking care of yourself.  See you in a couple of weeks.

• Options

Wow! CC well done. Fab prize, I'm really impressed. Am hankering for that satisfied feeling already, hmmm!

Yes you can JG. I had to take quite a few during those early weeks. 4head is great stuff too, although it doesn't last long. Get hubbie to give you a head massage, also found this helped. Don't worry about the veg. I'm now back on pretty much everything except wine and anything mint. Still off sweet things though, which is very odd for me! All a good sign JG!! Must admit I'm so pleased I'm past the worst now and hopefully its the last time I ever have to do it!

I managed 6.5-7 miles yesterday morning in about 55 mins, so very slow but enjoyed it. Also swam 60 lengths this morning, but do feel tired now. Planning 4-5 miles tomorrow, then rest on tues. Phew!

Glad you feel better Minks, a bit of  a long haul for you...

Hope you have a good evening CC!!

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

Well done CC! You must be so pleased!

Good to hear from LizzyB too.   Hope everyone has a good evening (I would love  some wine!!) And JG paracetamol is fine.

• Options

Thanks ladies, will be buying some tomorrow!   Yes MM I think I'll be with you on that one - can't say I particularly want to do this again right now, I'd forgotten just how crappy you feel in the first few weeks.  Think it took till at least 12 weeks until I started feeling normal again, that's 6 weeks away... Still keeping everything crossed that it's all ok.

Btw, does anyone else's area have this now, where you don't see the MW at the doctor's anymore, they come to your house?  Seems to have changed since I was pregnant with Sophie, much more convenient!

• Options

CC - that is blimmin fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a star, most people would avoid the distance, most people would avoid the dark, most people would avoid the terrain & most people would avoid running with niggles. To come 2nd is superb- look forward to reading the report in the local paper!

JG- hope the headache gets better, you expect sickness to last 12 wks but headaches shouldn't. 

MM- don't know how you do it-still quicker than most non-preg ladies! 

Had the in-laws up for lunch- they told us they had bought the boys their 21st bday presents.... a case of wine each, current value £3000....... oh my. 

Still fighting to get on here as hubby totally addicted to 'evony the best war game in the world'.....  still I managed to write my xmas cards while I was waiting. Busy few days at work with a backlog building image

• Options

Wow CC - that's an amazing result! Well done you! Sounds like a lovely prize too.

JG  -boo to the headaches - hope you feel better soon.

Lotte - glad the twins are better and hope the others have managed to avoid catching it.

Camlo - wow, that's some present! Let's hope they are not typical 21 years olds who guzzle it down in one night and bring it back up again the next morning!

Well, I'm at home today. Had a big dilemna about whether to bring K into nursery this morning and I decided to take a chance as her temp was below 38 and she seemed quite perky  (despite having a rubbish night again last night). Anyway, I got a call 10 minutes after I'd arrived at work - literally swicthed on my computer, swicthed it off again, cancelled all my meetings and appoiintment and left -shortest day ever. Couldn't get a doc appointment but am seeing the nurse practionner to get her checked out later on as it's been a few days of high temps now. 

LizzyB - good to hear from you! Look forward to seeing you back on here  in a few weeks time.

MM- you are doing more than me! I only been running a couple of times a week since  my half and not even going over 5 miles because of my knee. Quite annoying becuase I feel like I've lost a lot of fitness already! Although I do cycle a bit as well, and went climbing and played squash last week so at least I am not a total couch potato. image

Right , I am off to make the most of some unexpected free time before K wakes up (she fell alseep in her buggy on the way home from nursery).

• Options
    Emily is off school today. She has been sick a couple of times this morning. I was back from my run though so hubby didn't have to deal with it on his own this time. The twins I thought were better until Lewis decided to have a serious dose of diarrhoea in the bath. Both Cameron and him were in the bath at the time and they were both seriously freaked out by it! Half expecting the school to phone at some point to tell me one of the others have been sick too. I hope not as it must be awful for the teachers but I can't not send them in when so far they seem fine.