Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,
    While we're on the subject of crying when being left... did anyone experience separation anxiety with their babies? Maggie (5 months old now) started a few weeks ago by only settling from a complete meltdown with me. But now she won't even be held by anyone else without crying, even though she smiles and giggles at complete strangers when I'm there or holding her. When my sister babysat for an hr at the weekend she was perfectly happy and giggly when I left but went to full on screaming within 5 minutes until she cried herself to sleep. My sister doesn't want to babysit anymore so have lost our only babysitter!
    Anyway, does anyone have any tips and is it just a phase?! I thought she was too young to miss me and must be too young to be manipulative. I've always let others hold her but no one wants to anymore image

I know there is much worse things to worry about and she is such a smiley baby but I don't understand why she's doing it.

Sorry about me post.
  • Options

I hate sicky bugs. Hate them! Hate them! Hate them!!

Another rubbish nights sleep and now waiting to come down with it too as feel sick. Harry seems to have perked up now, so still going to go out for the day and go to my brothers, hopefully its all over now!

Lotte you are mad!! You days at the beach etc though sound fab. I would love to live nearer the sea. Hubbie has applied for a job in Barnstaple so you never know!!

I know what you mean about too much to do Caro, I'm chasing my tail at the mo, so best get off my arse and get some packing done! Nappies on the line already so feel quite proud about that!

• Options
    Nappies on the line?  Have you looked at the weather forecast??
  • Options

With you on that one MM, I live in constant fear of the next bug image

R_B - oh no, what a pooathon!  you seemed to cope with it very well...  And I had forgotten LB was also a Nicholas image

gotta go as we're going out, sorry to people I've missed.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, Barnstaple - really??  You've only just moved to where you are now - are you seriously considering uprooting all over again?!  Really hope the sicky bug is over for you - you have not had much luck with various health things over the past few weeks (chickenpox, vomiting - about time the worm turned!)

R_B, good to hear from you.  I'm glad you're finally getting away and having a night out with Mrs B.  Time together is very important but it's easy to lose sight of that in the day to day melee of family life.  I did have to chuckle at the potty training efforts - how ironic that LB had to choose that day of all days to do twice as many poos as usual!  He'll get there so just keep chilled about it and make very light of any accidents.

TT, words of wisdom as always from you.  I did think the other day that I'd probably exacerbated the issue by staying with him for too long - rather than calming him down, my presence just made him the more hysterical.  I think I'll try to make sure a member of the staff is on hand when I drop him off to take him immediately so I can make a quick getaway.  He apparently calmed down pretty much straight away after I'd left and there were no more tears for the rest of the afternoon.  We just need to nip this in the bud now as if we pander to it it will only get worse.  It is very hard though.

On the subject of nurseries, R_B yours is really out of order suddenly changing the upper age limit without any prior consultation with or information to the parents.  It makes it especially difficult when there is not a great choice of nurseries in the area you live in - and when it's taken your child a long time to settle to suddenly have to uproot them and find somewhere else which may also be fairly short-term.  Have you complained about this?  I think it's outrageous.  Our new location unbelievably has NO daycare nurseries - there is apparently one about a mile away but I've run past it a couple of times and it looks to have shut down - the building is boarded up.  Other than that, the nearest one is about 3 miles away and in the opposite direction to the station, so would be most inconvenient if we had another child.  My mum has said that she doesn't think she could manage it all again with a second one - she's loved it with Kit but she would be at least 70 by the time we had another and it IS hard work, especially all the lifting you have to do with babies (baby, buggies etc).  She's recently developed arthritis in her hands which makes it more difficult for her to lift things.  Saying that, she is great with Kit - they never just stay in when she looks after him, she takes him all over the place and by public transport too as she doesn't have a car.  She could easily stay at home or take him for a walk locally but she really does make the effort to get out and about so hats off to her.

JT, really pleased all was well with the scan.  Did you have a C-section last time?  And if so, why have they not completely approved one this time?  Must say I would demand it if it was me!  Kit is Toy Story obsessed too - I usually spend the day having to pretend to be Woody/Buzz/Jessie and he currently carts about a Toy Story catalogue we picked up in Toys R Us and spends hours looking at all the toys.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, Kit is still in pull-ups at night too.  They have been mostly dry in the morning for the last couple of weeks and even though he knows he has one on when he wakes up, he wants to take it off and do a wee in the loo, which is good I think.  We've held off going for it at night because at the moment the light switch for the bathroom is on the wall outside the bathroom and he can't reach it - we're planning on having a pull-cord one put inside the bathroom.  Have just got a second step so can have one both upstairs and downstairs now, and will need one of those plug-in lights for the landing so he can see to get to the bathroom.  Once that's sorted we can give it a go.

Definitely go for Abingdon, Lotte, if R_B decides not to use his place.  It's a fast, flat course much like London but not as crowded.  I definitely think you should put all this excellent training to good use!

JohBo, you do sound like you could be a bit run down.  I tend to take a tonic (Metatone) if I'm run down after illness or anything and it usually gets me back on track quite quickly.  Glad the mastitis has gone though - that's really nasty.

• Options

quick post as over in new house with kids

E can open the doors here - ARGH!!! that wasn't in the plan

hope poorly tums are all ok...

talking of potty training - E is 17 months and 'tells us' (points to nappy when she wees or poos) so i suspect she will be an early trainer like her brother. He was out of them at 2yrs and 2 days. but he is still in pull ups at night and still wees right thru everything even tho we lift him at 10pm!

• Options

Yawn I am sooooo tired image

• Options

Nappies now on the dryer inside image!!

Harry still being sick, well was just sick in westonbirt carpark, but did eat some lunch, and just asked me when tea time is!! So hopefully thats it now. He looks so pale bless him! Just hope me and hubbie don't get it now.

Oh madam crying, back in a bit!

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Is there a reason for that EF? image

Absolutely heaving it down here - got completely soaked trying to cross Oxford Street at lunchtime; unbelievable! No chance of anything drying outside today!  Hoping it'll be a bit better tomorrow as my brother and SIL are having a barbecue at theirs for my mum's birthday - have a feeling my brother will be cooking outside under an umbrella while we all sit indoors!

Really hope you and hubby stay vomit-free MM!

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭
    JT - Theres no reason to wait 6 weeks to dive after a section.  My insurance co & doctor were happy with me driving after 8 days.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

6 weeks does seem a bit excessive, I do agree.

Technical question - how do I find our group on Facebook?  I signed up as a member but I don't know how to find it again - I'm also a member of another group and don't know how to find that one either!

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Minks, on the home page under your name and picture on the left your groups should be about 6 down the list under messages and friends etc.  Click that and your groups should be listed in there.
  • Options

Mad day at work yet again - spent 4 hrs operating on a cat to remove a stone from just inside the tip of its willy.  That is going to be one sore cat image

Got a wedding tomorrow nr Gatwick, but we have to drop M off 1st at my aunts and uncles nr heathrow for the night, so will be driving 3/4 of the way round the M25 tomorrow, and back again on Sun - oh joy!  having my hair cut at 8.30am tomorrow in an attempt to make it look halfway nice - sadly the weather's not looking so good but still looking forwad to it.

Planning a run this evening, just a short one.  We have a locum at the moment who is marathon training and is a runner!  Someone I can talk to abouyt running and who understands where I;'m coming from image

Debating whether to sign up for Southend 10k in oct - it would give me something to aim for.  Did run 30 miles last wk, incl 10 on Sun in the woods, but then have done bu**er all this wk as drove up north for 2 days to see my friend.  Did swim yesterday so I suppose that counts.

CM - keep your chin up, you are doing amazingly well.  xx

Back to work.....

• Options

Caro - hope you have a good weekend (despite the weather). Yay to a night of freedom without children! Am totally jealous of your haircut, mine desperately needs a cut but I'm scared to go as eldest has the nits (again) and I'm paranoid that I might have them too even though I've run the nit comb through my mop and haven't found any.

She got them for the first time a couple of weeks before the end of term and I just can't get rid of the bloody things! Spent another hour this evening doing the treatment and combing and think I'm going to do mine too just in case - how exciting is my Friday night?! If anybody has any suggestions for how to get rid for good I'd love to hear them ...

JohBo - sorry to hear your mastitis has been so bad - can sympathise as had it badly with my first and had to take antibiotics to get rid of it, ended up taking to my bed for 2 days as felt so bad but lots of rest did help. Sounds like you need to put your feet up a bit more maybe??

MM - hope you manage to dodge the sickness bug, fingers crossed for you.

Sorry, can't remember anything else from previous pages as there was loads to catch up on. We had a lovely week in Wales last week with the in-laws and went on lots of day trips so ended up being quite a busy week. Running in the hills was hard though, did manage to drive down to the beach and run along the coastal path for my mile reps session which was nice but all the rest was on the hills and boy did I feel it, especially in my knees. So good to be back running on the flat now - actually looking forward to doing my long run this weekend as I know will be much more pleasant than last week's.

I'm back to work on Monday imageimageimage. Trying not to think about it too much as whenever I do I feel like I might cry. I so wish I could stay at home, I've loved my maternity leave. Bought another lottery ticket for tonight in desperation but I suppose it's time to dig out my heels and work clothes ... boo hoo!

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭
    Damn keyboard - realy must stop nate messing round with the keys!  The ones that aren't missing stick badly (well thats my excuse for rubbish spelling!)
  • Options

CC - glad you enjoyed the club. Sounds great and lots of options as you say. Hope you will soon be able to find a babysitter so you don't have to depend on hubby. Grrr. We have a wii and it can be good family fun and very sociable unlike the DS. Our kids love the Just Dance. Actually I quite like it too - its a good laugh and some of the sports things are great. And it can be a useful blackmail tool! We actually have a no wii during the week rule - only on weekends or in the holidays but is is limited even then.

KAren - boo to going back to work (())

Caro - go for it.Sound like you running is going well.

Up at 5.30 and on the road by 6am for 21 miles. Struggled a bit around mile 16 - hungry and wishing I was home, but picked up again. Had 2 gels with me but could only face one of them. can't get the bloody things swallowed without gagging. Anyway ended up with 21 miles exactly, average pace 8.21mm. Which brings my weekly running to 56 miles - woo hoo my highest ever week! Plus I did a 22 mile cycle on thursday. Rest day tomorrow. We are heading off on a camping trip now - only for 2 nights but with the amount of stuff we might as well go for two weeks really! Kids are bouncing off the walls with excitement. Weather looks ok so fingers crossed the wind and rain stay away.

Have good weekends all.

• Options

hello

Well done CM, it sounds like everything is progressing.  It takes a while to get everything sorted out but you have taken such a big step in moving it all forward that it must surely give you confidence in what you are doing and how you are managing.

Minks, Lou does an oscar winning performance every day at nursery.  No tears just clinging to me as though her life depends on it and hanging onto my leg.  I loathe it.  I just detach her and get out.  They have a waving window - a clear circle in the frosted glass and she goes there but never ever waves, just stands looking shy and forlorn.  However one time I peaked back through after a minute and there she was, leaning back in her chair, arm across the back, piece of toast in other hand and yapping away with her mates.  What a con artist!

Lotte, 5.30 - I call that middle of the night!

Camlo, I laughed at the virgin comment.  Honestly though that is us when we are not "trying".  Speaking of which I got a peak day today so I must gird my loins (literally!) for that.

Total faff last night.  Flat tyre.  This bmw was gesticulating us as we went down the road, I thought they were having a go but when we wound the window down they pointed to the flat tyre at the front.  Honestly hubby is useless at things like that - when we had a flat tyre last time I noticed within a metre of moving off!  We drove into the shopping centre cos we were right at the roundabout there.  Tried to change tyre but couldn't shift wheel nuts so had to phone rescue service.  He arrived within 40 mins (having gone to my house first, what an eejit, don't even have homestart cover!) and then by the time he got there I was beside myself with needing the loo so I headed into the shopping centre.  How embarrassing - he changed a tyre in less time than I took to go for a pee!  Tyre was absolutely knackered and that caused me to look at the others.  Hmmm.  just bought 3 new tyres!  £269 so there goes the money for the new fire.  Though my lovely dad paid meantime.

STILL have sodding eye infection.  It was pretty much gone and then stupidly used mascara I had used during infection and so brought it back.  have now binned mascara hough really resent it - it was brand new!  must buy another but treated self yesterday to the latest chanel limited edition nail polish.  Had a voucher for house of fraser so had been hanging on to buy it, it's a sort of purpley grey colour - I wanted a change for my tootsies from my standard rouge noir.

Back to the doc for Lou also - poos are not going well.  She was screaming in agony on Wed night so I was relieved we had appt set up for thurs.  I now have movocol and we have stopped lactulose which does nothing.  We also have senokot.  she's done a poo thurs and fri now but she had some gritty poo in her pull up this morning too and she's still crying when she does it. 

OH door, gotta go!

• Options

now have friend's 3 year old here too.  luckily they get on well so are safely in Lou's bedroom playing hospitals!  dolly is in bed ill.

So back to poo.  I am at wits end.  she refuses to poo and refuses and refuses then it's a mad dash when she can help it no longer and I just plonk her down.  Still, at least she's now gone three days in a row which is a start.  She just goes all quiet and listless and wants to lie down on the sofa when she starts to need and then she cries from the pain in her tummy but she won't give in and do a poo until she has to.  I am hoping this new movicol stuff is going to be a change for the better.  We have follow up at dr in 2 weeks and if no improvement then we are to be referred to sick kids. 

Tomorrow Andy is taking Louise to see Hairy Mclary in the festival and then in the afternoon we have a family portrait photoshoot which we are giving mum and dad for their ruby wedding anniversary.  it was in March  but nikki didn't want a pic with her all massive and preg although she's still pretty big 8 weeks post baby. 

My poor sis in law is a week overdue and going mad.  my brother in law is not happy because schools go back on wed so he's back to work then and they'd hoped it would all be done and dusted by then!

Right, better go  and see to lunches.  Who knows when I will fit in a run what with all that other exercise I am having to do.  Will try to go tonight for a short one and then I think I will aim to go to the gym for a speed sesh tomorrow morning when they are at the festival.

Have a good weekend!!

• Options

CC glad the running club is looking like a go-er.  Am quite jealous that you are able to slot right in.  have decided against city of ed club as they're just too good and I know what I'm like and I'd get really dispirited at being last all the time. 

Squawks of "it's raining" coming from the bedroom next door.  what on earth are they up to now?!

• Options

EF - ah, poor Lou, sounds like a bit of a vicious circle there what with the uncomfortable poo making her not want to go and then holding it in only making it worse. Hope things get better for her soon.

Still feeling miserable about going back to work but am buzzing a bit right now as just had a fab run. Had to move long run to today as hubby is doing Bedford Triathlon tomorrow, so was scheduled to do 8m including 10k at sub 8.30 pace. Totally surprised myself and ended up doing the 10k in 49.58 which is fastest time I've ever done over that distance and 5 minutes quicker than the 10k I did 3 weeks ago! Am off to make Welsh cakes with the girls and scoff a few myself as a reward.

Happy Saturday everyone!

• Options

do you have a recipe for welsh cakes (well obviously, if you are going to make them, you have) - karen? my nanny wants to make them with the kids, so could do with one really.

over in the house sans kids today. image. however i bring them here tomorrow for the first time for a night, which J is soooo excited about.  i have managed to bring all sorts of stuff over - but no toothbrush!! typical.

back is still playing up but there is progress, but not enough to run. i am being sooo patient. hope you are all impressed.

• Options
    EF - I think i did the same thing with mascara as I was okay for about 2 days before mine went a bit funny again and the chemist doesn't want to give me eye drops again so as its not too bad at the moment I'm just waiting to see if it will go on its own but its a bummer as I don't like wearing my glasses much.

I'd like the welsh cake recipe too!
  • Options

I like Delia's Welsh Cake recipe as it uses mixed spices which some of the others don't. I'm pasting the link below - hope that works ...

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/welsh-cakes.html

CM - hope you don't have to wait too much longer for the back to recover - good going on the resting up, I know how frustrating it is to be sidelilned like that.