Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

Another option and maybe more like running is a cross-trainer? I used mine loads when I was pregnant and starting doing stuff again after S was born. I got mine off ebay for £50, worth about £500. Its good as new and is great when I'm stuck.

Will pop back later, need to cook tea and I can hear two hyper boys destroying their playroom image!!

• Options

Hello all!

Well, we're back from our fortnight in Cornwall. Since that one drizzly day I mentioned, we had fine weather all the way through, with some great days out on the beach and elsewhere. Some photos are up on FB for anyone that hasn't seen them. More to come in due course.

Have tried to catch up but probably forgotten it all again so sorry for missing people. Commiserations once again on all the lazy or incapable husbands. I blame their parents - which is a warning to all of you who have boys. Don't let yours turn out like their dads!

Reading your symptoms Karen, I think I must have a prolapsed uterus. image I have to get up in the night and never feel that I've quite emptied my bladder. Mind you, that might be because I always have a pint of beer before bedtime! BTW, a half marathon training run in 1hr 54 sounds pretty impressive to me.

Hope Kit is happier at drop-off time now Minks. I found that it made a big difference when LB got a keyworker who really made him feel welcome the moment he stepped through the door, so I make a beeline for her every time I drop him off and handover as quickly as possible.

CM Don't you have a local window cleaner? Well worth it in my view as I don't like heights. In any case, the ones round here all use long squirty brush-hose things which means they don't need a ladder at all. Sorry to hear about the ex. So sad for his family.

Glad you had a good day out Caro. We went to Knebworth House recently and that's quite good fun on a fine day (little ride-on railway, restaurant, life-sized dinosaurs, playground equipment and adventure playground for older kids). How's the "menace in a dress" today (ie. the lovely Matilda)?

How is Max sleeping nowTTid? My niece did have night terrors at that age and she just grew out of them in a few weeks. Or was it teething in his case?

Well done in your races, Kinsey, Tangy and JohBo. Hope you enjoyed your trip to the UK JohBo.

Hope Archie is feeling better Camlo. Are your biking days over then?

Like Vixo, I'm not a fan of exercise bikes JG but I like the idea of a turbo if you already have a bike. £100 gets you a really good one. Good news on the little one.

Hope the new job went well today TBogle. It was today wasn't it?

Sorry to hear about your gran Lotte. Mine all went a long time ago. My Dad was cremated at Aberdeen crematorium, so I will think of you there on Friday. Hope your niggle is getting better and that it held up OK for your half marathon.

My son now wishes to be known as "Thomas". For the last two weeks, every time we've used his name (Nicholas), he has replied with "No, I'm Thomas". This is because he is mad about Thomas The Tank Engine books and toys. I thought it would pass after a day or two but he's been very insistent. Might be interesting at nursery on Thursday!

• Options

I agree RB. I always have to go to the loo in the night, always have had to. Mainly just because I drink too much liquid!!!

Sounds like you had a nice two weeks away. Did you stop at Leigh Delamere?

My two moved up to the big boy room at nursery today. They do seem more tired. More focus on words, sitting down to do stuff etc. They both seemed a bit unsure but were fine when they saw all their friends had moved up too.

Raining here now too, so soggy run for me too later, or maybe a rest as I am rather tired!!

• Options
    Yes, we stopped on the way down. We didn't stop there on the way back as we had stayed overnight at my sister's near Taunton, so didn't need a stop yet. But I thought of you as we whizzed past!
  • Options

Well done to all the great race times over the weekend.  Can't wait for my first post Lexi race which will be the GSR - Was also my last (at 16 weeks pregnant) before I had her so kind of appropriate!

CM - I would go - it's very sad but seems worse so very young.     Also get a window cleaner - really I could never be bothered with doing them myself and mine only comes every 2 months or so.

RB - your photos are fab - LB looks so very cute!

I am another with no GPs but considering my mum didn't have me til she was 42 nt surprising really - bit of a shame they are now too old to enjoy their GC very much as Nate is just too full on for them o handle.

• Options
    Glad you had a good holiday RB - photos look lovely on FB and LB is so sweet! My grandma lives in cornwall so we took James down there for his first holiday at few weeks ago. I love that part of the country, and would like to retire down there I reckon.

So sad about your ex CM. I agree with the others that you should pop in to the funeral. It would be worse to regret not going, even of you only slip in at the back or something.

Fantastic race/training times from lots of people, JohBo, Kinsey, Karen, TT. I went out for a 7 miler on sunday, my longest since J was born. Felt OK until the last couple of miles when my legs felt pretty dead, but I managed to get round in 1h 17 mins. Quite pleased with the time as I'm hoping to get under 60 mins for my 10k in October. I've had to stop doing any speedwork at the moment though because I find it makes my calf problem worse. Not convinced its shin splints, but seem to be able to manage it with lots of stretching and ice after runs.

I'm going to a new playgroup in the village tomorrow, well new to me anyway. Its just started up again after school hols, so hopefully will meet some nice mums and James can make some little friends!
  • Options

R_B can you recommend a turbo trainer?  I haven't a clue... Same for MM with cross trainers?  Not sure about space issues though...

Thanks for the reassurance re his weight.  It's just weird having had Sophie at 10lbs 5oz, who admittedly had to be hospitalised to sort out her weight loss, but she was back up to birthweight by the end of the first week and has never looked back!  I am so chuffed he is gaining weight at last though image.

R_B - so funny wanting to be called Thomas! image  You should see someone about your prolapse image.

• Options

Back home after a whirlwind tour of Scotland! 4 cities in 2 days. Yesterday I had brekkie in Dundee, lunch in Glasgow and tea in Edinburgh. Had a fine weekend away but an awful race!

We all knew that I had too many miles in the legs to do an outstanding run and but I did still hope that if all went well on the day I might take my PB down a couple of minutes. Last week the kids had snotty noses in the few days afore I went away so it was no surprise on Saturday to wake up full of the cold with a sore throat and swollen glands! Great. Add to that it was my heavy day of my period and you can see where I am heading.

The race started and from the first 100 yards I knew it was going to be tough. My legs were just so heavy and I was having too work to hard for the pace I wanted. My left hip and buttock felt very stiff. I just though oh shit this is going to be a tough one. The first mile was bit congested so 7.00mm, then a couple of 6.40s but at the end of mile 3 I got palpitations and had to stop until it passed. Carried on and thought I would run to 10k and then pull out. Went through 10 in about 42 mins but I was having to work so hard and my legs were still feeling heavy. I was then trying to decide when to pull up - being in the middle of Glasgow with no idea where I was, no phone, no money and with my sister waiting at the finish I couldn't decide what to do. At mile 8 I got the palpitations again so stopped again until I got my breathing back to normal. By then I was in Pollock Park and still trying to decide how to pull out!. In the end I decided if I stopped I was going to have to walk to the finish anyway so I decided to stop trying to push the pace and see if I could hold marathon pace until the finish. I walked the water stations and began to feel ok.

So after all that I am actually feeling very positive about the outcome. 1.34 (average 7.11mm) so no PB but a great training run for the marathon. I know how crap I felt yesterday so with proper tapering and a good day maybe my dream of sub 1.30 isn't too far away. I feel ok today. Just a head cold - sneezing, and funny sinuses. Quads a bit sore but the other niggles are fine.

Not overly worried about the palpitations as I have had them a few times in training when I have run with a cold and I got them when I was pregnant and tried to tie my shoelaces so must just be something I am prone too!!

Emily really enjoyed her mummy time and was such a poppet the whole time. we spent most of today at the Edinburgh Zoo before our flight home at teatime. She went to the cinema for the first time last night - we don't have a cinema up here and taking all 8 of us to the cinema when we are away is too bloody expensive!  Daddy has coped very well at home although the twins have been a bit grizzly with temperatures and colds. Some nice red artwork on the hall walls courtesy of the twins seems to be the only major misdemeanor.Got a lovely welcome home tonight. Its nice to have been so missed and feel appreciated. Had a few come home now texts from hubby while I was away!   Very me me me post. I did skim read but haven't taken it all in so will try to catch up properly tomorrow. Need bed now!

Well done to Kinsey, Joh Bo and TT on your races.

• Options

Well Lotte sounds horrible, but also an achievemnt to get a time like that after a race like that!!  Now please have a few days REST!!!!!!!  Sort out your cold and niggles.

• Options

Have been meaning to come on and say the same thing to CM, and yes go to the funeral, as JT says you can always slope off if it doesn't seem appropriate for you to be there.

Glad you've had a good time on your tour of scotland Lotte, but shame the race didn't quite work out. You have been doing quite a lot of training, but its often the way with a half in a marathon campaign. Always hard to hit your complete potential as you don't want to ease down too much. Sub 90 will be yours though for sure. I would take 3-4 days complete rest, then ease into running ONLY for the rest of the marathon training!!

I have no idea about cross-trainers JG, I just bought on instinct. Ours is an Olmypus Sport, but I was also bidding on Reebok I think. Going to change it for a treadmill when we can find the funds, very useful if we have a winter like last year.

Really grim weather last night, a proper 5 mile swim, was up to my calves in several places just on the back roads. Still feeling very tired after the weekend. It takes so long to recover after big nights out, and S sleeps for 9 hours every night so I can't blame her!! BF does take a lot of energy though doesn't it and I am running 40-45 mpw now, so I think I'll be happy to stop feeding her at xmas, although do have mixed feelings about it.

Not too busy a day today thank goodness. Village music/toddler group and then a friend popping in for coffee. Still need to draw up plans for the pre-school den area so they can get the work done, must do that at lunchtime. Slightly annoyed about it as I was never properly asked to do it (obviously for free), some dimensions for the area were thrust into my hand and the phrasing was 'Would you??'. Then they have the cheek to ask why I hadn't got it done over the holidays!!!

• Options

well done, lotte.  reading your race report, i would have added another hour to your time.  1:34?!

i have been feeling really grim the last couple of days.  think i may have a bug (certainly have a cold and a temp) but have also been feeling sick to the point that i can't even face a cup of tea.  anyway feeling a bit better now.  possibly it is also a bit of shock re: my friend.  and thanks for your advice - i have decided to go to the funeral.  at least i will turn up and, as you all say, i can keep a low profile or slope off if it doesn't feel right.

i have decided to train for a 10k, given that i have no other goals at the moment.  i have found one in kingston in oct which i should be able to do (it is a 'child free weekend' for me, and i have a friend who lives not far from there, so should be able to sort accommodation). i have input the training into my calendar, so all i need now is to feel well!

would LOVE to be able to get sub 50. should be capable of it as i can run that fast - it's just whether my mind / body let me down before - as it is always i guess!

• Options

CM - (()) I think I would go to the funeral to if I were you. My cousin died of lung cancer age 35, 3 years ago. He was diagnosed in August and died in December. He never had the chance to get married or have kids. It is a wicked illness. Good idea to have a 10k to aim for, you CAN do that sub 50.

MM - great run with a hangover. I don't think I could do that. I always conicide my hangovers with rest days! 

CC - majorly windy here at the moment too. Hope you make it to club tonight - enjoy those reps!!

JG - my turbo is a Tacx Satori. Hubby bought me it for Christmas and I think it is great. Can be pretty boring but it isn't too noisy so you could have it in the living room with tv on if you fancy. HAven't used mine for a few weeks but a great winter option.

RB - I think I have got a number for Abingdon (paid my money so hope so!) . So I hope to meet you at the start line?! 

• Options
    Sorry, no time to post more as Isabelle going nuts!
    JG - any of these on wiggle would be fine - just decide how much you want to spend!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Trainers/
  • Options
    Gosh, haven't been on here for a week and has taken me over an hour to try and read back several pages! (hubby home early, am not ignoring baby image). Have not much time to post now!
    Already forgetting everything I've read...

So sorry about your gran lotte and your old boyfriend CM. Also think you should go to the funeral, may regret it if not.

Sounds like a great holiday RB, will have to sneak on FB later if I'm allowed to look at piccies.

Lots of great running and races going on. Fantastic times.
    Haven't been running for nearly two weeks now as still got a very chesty cough from my illness, getting very concerned about the half marathon in only 5 weeks. I might be walk/running it.

Had a lovely few days down in Dorset with mum, good weather too. Maggie was a nightmare the first night, screaming for hours, (still won't be comforted by anyone but me too), but then settled down and enjoyed herself. Still generally sleeping through too (or to 5.30 which will do image)

JT - go for the section, I've just been referred to the gynaecologist as looks like I'm going to have to be cut and re-stitched, what joy!

Better go do something useful now image

• Options

hello all, have read back but as it was about 10 pages my brain has frazzled.

((lotte)).  i have no grandparents, the last one went in 1997 when I was just 23.  I'm from a fairly small family - immediate family anyway though my nana was apparently 1 of 7.  My mum can't even name them all!!

CM that's awful about the ex.   A girl from my year at uni died a few years back - she'd had breast cancer and fought it but then got a brain tumour.  It's a real shock to the system when it's someone you knew when you were younger.

Good racing folks, well done TT and well done Lotte that's amazing with a stonking cold.

Well I'm a blob.  Free wine, free icecream, free biscuits, free cake.  Took running gear.  Brought running gear back and put it straight back into drawer!  Not a chance was I getting out.  Hol was fab though, just what we needed.  Hotel - well I am going onto trip advisor to sort out the reviews- it was fantastic and the food amazing.  the people were really nice there too.  the staff were friendly and they even brought me a cake, totally unprompted, on my birthday on Sunday.   The pool was baltic but still I managed to go down the waterslide.  Andy nearly wet himself laughing at it though cos he went really slowly and so I said ok I'd try and i went like a bat out of hell and landed bum first with limbs flailing.  Lou had a blast but wanted to go home a few times - cos she has quite literally never been away in her memory I think she feared that we had moved there!

Training starts again.  Soon.  Have developed stonking cold myself.  Basically I fought it for the whole week and now I'm back I have succumbed.  however have just been told I am going to the law awards dinner next week so will need to get my ass in gear and get some of the lard off so I can fit my clothes. 

To help me, I got a Garmin 110 todayimage Am well chuffed.  The 210 was too fiddly for me, I could never use it to its capacity so this one is really basic.  It's my birthday present from half my family!  Also got a posh watch from my folks so have done really well. 

Out to dinner tonight as seeing a couple of friends from school.  Can't believe it's 18 years since I left but still there's a crowd of 7 girls and 3 guys who are a sort of core and so even though months and months go by without us meeting up I know that we'll just slip back into the usual chat immediately.  We're trying to get all 7 girls to London in November which should be great fun. 

Got to go, can hear a certain someone bouncing off the sofa onto floor and it's bathtime!

What else, oh yeah LOL to the window cleaning.  Dear goodness I thought that was an annual event.  If that.  Don't think I've ever cleaned the inside of some of them.  I always knew I was a skank.

• Options
    Ok what about a Garmin?  I'm not exactly sure what they do image and can I pick up a decent cheap one?
  • Options
    JG I think this turbo trainer is a good buy for the price.
  • Options

Some good runs (esp KK with your 1st long run) but poo to the palpitations Lotte- you say you aren't too worried but I'd definately get them checked out by the Dr in case you need medication/ treatment. I have a half (Lake Vyrnwy) on Sunday and would be thrilled with anything under 2hrs.

EF- your break sounds wonderful- my Mum is on hol at the moment & the reviews for her hotel were dire. She checked in then on her way to their room she heard shouting & found people stuck in the lift which had brocken down! 

Running club tonight for a nice 7. Long steep hill which I was determined NOT to walk so even though only 1 other chap kept going I gasped and almost puked my way up without stopping.  The club is great because we come from all different backgrounds/ jobs etc but when we run we are all the same and their support is fab (as it is on here too!!)

Shite day at work but looking forward to giving some smug 'I told you so'  tomorrow !

• Options

glad you had a ball EF - i loved bulgaria when i went there on interrail.  but then i had just graduated (in german and russian) and was obsessed with this little place in the mountains in bulgaria where the modern russian language had essentially stemmed from (it was the seat of learning - and medieval bulgarian then changed into old church slavonic which was the first time the language of russia had been written down).  there was nothing much left of the medieval stuff there but we spent a week trekking round the mountains in really obscure places living on £1 a day and having a ball.

did 7.3 miles today.  all i will say is i hate hills and i cannot run them image

• Options
    Anther hill hater here!!  Although I have recently started torturing myself by starting al my routes with a very long hill and forcing myself to run to the top! Think I'm getting slightly better!
  • Options

I really quite like hills in a kind of masocistic kind of way. Can't avoid them around here either. Managed 6 miles at lunchtime with buggy, and I have my first class back at pilates tonight. Its not till 7.45 though, so I will be starving. Mind you have just noshed a chocolate muffin, so maybe I'll be OK!!image

S is teething really b adly. Dribbling all over me, and very grumpy this afternoon. Not helped by the fact that she slept very badly after I transferred from baby jogger into her cot. Trouble is she wakes up as soon as I stop, so can't leave her in there.

Nice afternoon at friend's house and Mr Tesco has just been and delivered food, so we're all sorted. Time for early bath for madam I think as she is soo tired.

Glad you're resting JT, about time. Mind you I'm one to talk!! Knee is a bit sore after my fall last weekend on coastal path still, hoping I've not damaged it too badly.

Oh dear S has fallen asleep, best get her to bed soon i think!!

• Options

All together now...

"Hills are our friends - they make us strong."

OK?

• Options
    Nooooo hills are evil. The uphill kills my lungs and the downhill kills my knees!
  • Options

you can say it as often as you like RB but it doesn't make it any easier to get up them!  i hate hills.  Hate the ups and then hate the downs cos I always get a stitch!

in a bit of pain now, had a tooth out - an extra one which had grown in at 90 degrees and was bugging me.  It was very small but still my bones hurt.  Also had a filling and on top of that I am not feeling good even still so am dosing up with flu plus.  So no running yet.  But have sorted Garmin so I just have to press n go.  Has anyone else got the 110?  is it possible to turn it off and save the battery altogether or is powersave as off as it goes?  can't find an off switch!

Got a plea from a friend on facebook - she can't do her son's homework and she needs help.  she's mortified but frankly the question is hard - it's a puzzle.  "what kind of weather is this?  WHWEATHER"

I have suggested bad weather cos it's spelled wrongly and changeable weather because you can do whether or weather but I don't think either are correct.  Any suggestions?  her son is only P4 so maybe we are reading far too much into it but we cannot get it at all. 

Cue everyone going "DOH, that is just soooo obvious" but still I cannot see it!!