Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

Oh Vixo, what a nightmare. As others have said, hopefully when it happens "for real" you'l already to half way there so will wizz through labour. Thinking of you and sending you lots of positive vibes.

MInks, enjoy your holiday, it sounds like you need it! 

Karen Happy anniversary for the weekend. I'm jealous that you're getting your house done. I'm so desparate to have ours done. We have no grass in our garden and I really want to get it turfed but we can't afford it. Plus I want a new carpet in the front room. The current one is orange and clashes badly with our green settee! And then there's the fact we have no shower...the list is endless but until I'm working again we just don't have the spare cash to do anything about it. Ho hum. 

We've still not decided on any names. I mentioned to my mum that we quite liked Oliver but she went "really?" in that mum tone of voice. I was having doubts about it anyway but that's the final nail in the coffin. She said that it would be shortened to Oli, which I like, and that Abi and Oli sounds like a crap BBC comedy. Thanks mum! I knew there was a reason we were keeping any name ideas to ourselves!! Back to the drawing board. 

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

PP,  LOL at "that mum tone of voice" - know exactly what you mean by that! image

And LOL CM at hubby's "laying something on"!  Er, it's a strike - does he not know what that means?!

Happy anniversary, Karen - hope you have a lovely meal and have fun looking at kitchens!  Funny, I haven't tried on my wedding dress since the day I got married but if would definitely still fit me - I'm probably a bit smaller now than I was then, even.

Kit went to see his new school for the first time yesterday.  There were a few tears when the children were taken off to see their new classrooms as he didn't realise that Daddy would be staying in the hall for a new parents talk, but he soon calmed down and enjoyed it apparently.

Hubby has won a competition!  Something he entered from Love Film and we've won an overnight break at Potters Leisure Resort in Norfolk.  Going on 16 July so something to look forward to when we get back from our holiday.  Am really amazed as we've never won a thing before!

• Options

PP- you have my sympathies on the name picking, with my eldest it was easy I made a list of names and hubby picked one off it just after she was born. With C it was totally different, hubby and big sis both got mega involved, fortunately she was a girl cos we agreed on girls name quite early on, we were still fighting over boys names right to the end though LOL. I loved Samuel and they both hated it, I still love it. It was also  the name of some of my Great great grandfathers, so I quite liked the family link. And I like Sam too so that was fine by me.

I liked Daniel too but my Grandpa is Daniel and I have two cousins Daniel and Danielle and I childmind a Daniel, so it was just too much LOL.

Funnily enough I quite liked the name Flynn and that was before Tangled (Flynn Ryder)had even been made, everyone else hated it though.

TT ;0)

• Options

oh dear, PP. that's not very nice of her. i'm glad we didn't tell my mum either time with J and E's names. since she called Jacob Joseph or Joshua for the first few weeks, I assume she didn't like Jacob. and with E, she just said 'that's unusual' (which it isn't really!), and my dad keeps calling her Helen image

FWIW (and none of my business), I like Oliver. It is very popular - one of the top 5 names consistently. that said, i think i only know 1 other Oliver around here.

i found girls names much worse than boys. probably because i didn't want a 'pretty' name or a name ending in -a or -ie / y, which rule out most girls names!! i would have hated a pretty name myself as i was not a pretty girl, and didn't want to put pressure on my daughter with a very girly name! however, i think E would have suited a pretty / flowery name as she is very 'pink' and likes her fluffy things (but also likes climbing / mud / water etc).

• Options
    Matilda's name was picked ages before she was born, but although we told everyone she was a girl, we didn't tell anyone the name - after all they can't really say yuck to your face after you've named her!

Well for the first time in 2 yrs I was called at lunch and asked to pick Matilda up, as she had an upset tummy. To be fair, she did have the squits this morning, but was her lively bubbly self, so I packed her off anyway, fingers crossed. It backfired, but at least I got half a days work done - I bet I don't get paid for the afternoon. Unfortunately hubby couldn't come home, as he would still get paid. I suspect they just fed her something she shouldn't have eaten yesterday, and we're just having a repeat of the day we met at the farm Minks, where I knew that she'd eaten alot of birthday cake the day before. Ho hum. She was complaining of a sore tummy as well - but she does that so often that I normally ignore it! Still waiting for the results of her blood tests to check for gluten intolerance - 10 days later. It was supposed to take a wk.

Vixo - you are disproving the theory that 2nd ones come quicker! Boo, hope it happens soon!
  • Options
    Ahem, about 10 mins after my last post I had a contraction, my waters went, and our little baby girl was born about one and a half hours later!! Eliza Ann, weighing 6lb12oz. Please don't say anything on facebook as I have lots of real life people I need to tell!!
  • Options

woooohooooo! vixo!!! well done imageimageimageimage

did you make it to hospital?!

great name, too! congratulations!!!!

• Options

you are sounding very sane, CC - don't know how you do it. i like the name Caleb, but it has become popular and i don't like the Kaleb spelling. i love Samuel, like TT. would also have loved Isaac, as a brother for Jacob, but definitely does NOT go with our surname (I's a c'ow son) ...

vixo - was thinking about Eliza and it's a great name. also quite cool that it's the same derivation as Isabelle. i don't know any Elizas at all - know a few Elises around here. and i wanted Ann as a middle name for E if i had been allowed to call her Meredith (which i wasn't...)

• Options
    We did make it to hospital - I had 4 contractions 2 minutes apart, phoned them and said we were coming in. Went straight into the pool in newly refurbished room and all went quite quickly from there. Can't fault the service here at all - I have had tea and toast, a shower, and we've been left in the same very nice spacious room until they let us go home at about 7. Hubby has just gone to get isabelle from nursery and will bring her here to meet eliza and then my parents will come over and take her back to ours in case we're delayed.

I wasn't sure about eliza when hubby first mentioned it - instantly made me think of eliza Doolittle from my fair lady (he has no such reference point!) - but it's really grown on me. I like that it's a name people will know, but doesn't seem too common - unlike isabelle! We haven't told anyone what we were planning for names for exactly that reason PP - it's so hard to get past it once someone makes a funny comment.

Well, she's a good feeder for sure - just had her third! Feels bizarrely peaceful just sitting here with her, and can't quite believe she's arrived!
  • Options
    beautiful, vixo. enjoy the peace. won't last long image
  • Options

Congrats Vixo!  Eliza is a lovely name - my cousin in Australia has the same name.  Sounds a bit like my labour with Nicholas, although the first part wasn't quite so protracted - 4cm for 6 hours with no progression then suddently a few stronger contractions, waters broke and one massive contraction later out he popped!

Got a very cuddly husky girl here today, I think the week's excitement has caught up with her too!  Full of cold and has a meltdown at the slightest thing - just now it was because I put an "old-style" Thomas on instead of a new one!

Lol at T, CM, his first shock at having no childcare hopefully (has C finished yet?)!

Camlo - I was thinking maybe it's better to get nursery uniform (sweatshirt and black trousers/skirt) so that that can get ruined instead of her clothes?  What do you think?  As I said I have no idea of prices but I'd only get the sweatshirt from the school itself.

Now I've just bumped into a Dad who's sending his son to nursery in September too, and he's having doubts about the school I'm planning on sending S to as it only gets satisfactory in a lot of areas.  The alternative is one that is about a mile away (this school is about 800m away!) but has a lot better ratings, tho I haven't checked the OFsted report yet.  What are everyone's experiences of primary schools?  Sophie seems to be quite academic but not so good on things like getting dressed - should I be looking for a school that will be able to stretch her or is just being happy at primary school more important?  The nursery she's got a place at is a pre-school and the room is literally over a little bridge from the Reception classroom, so she'd be more settled when she started school.

Karen - love "that mum tone of voice" image

• Options
    Congrats Vixo! Sounds like it was speedy at the end. Hope you get home soon.

Have spent the afternoon running up and down stairs with M as she makes frequent trips to the loo, to squirt some more brown liquid from her bottom. Poor thing. She's not having accidents fortunately, and she's fine in herself, gave her scrambled eggs for supper. I certainly don't think it's a bug as she is 100% normal, apart from the diarrhoea.
  • Options
    Wow - Congrats Vixo - what a long first stage! I also like the name Eliza, my friend who had her little girl the day after I had Aidan named her Eliza too, but that's the only one I know!
    We also had a lovely peaceful evening with just me and him on his first night after hubby had gone home, and before we got let out the next day.

I know a lot of Olivers, I like the name but because I know about 5 I probably wouldn't pick it if you know what I mean!

Caro - hope Matilda is better soon. There is a bug going around here which I'm hoping we don't pick up.

Minks - lucky you winning a weekend away! Sounds great!
  • Options

Hurrah for Vixo and Eliza!

Just got an email from the Olympics with a list of events for which tickets are available (in the second round of application). Cheapest Athletics ticket is £65 (for a morning session). No children's tickets left at all. No cycling tickets whatsoever available. Rubbish!

• Options
    But plenty of football. Whoop di doo.
  • Options

Yey Vixoimage, well done you. Hope you are all enjoying some lovely quiet family time with little Eliza (she'll be able to say 'that's Eliza with a Z' image).

Names- I loved Jacob, Isaac and Isabella (my Nana was called Isobel) too, but hubby was a point blank no on all of them. I have an auntie Ellen CM. I chose Camryn as it was the only Scottish girls name I could find that I liked and although it similar to the well used boys name Cameron it is very unusual for a girl. However it drives me nuts when people constantly call her Cam-A-ryn her name is Cam-ryn there is no A in the middle, she even calls herself CamAryn nowimage. I like Natalya's(pronounced Natalie) name too as it is a well known name but not at all common, I have only met 3 others since I had her almost 15years ago and one of them was Russian and it was spelt the same wayimage, she does get really annoyed because people call her Natal-Ya all the time though.

TT ;0)

• Options

I have an auntie called Elda, have never come across any other Elda's ever. My Nana chose her name because her mother insisted she call her after her grandmother who was called Matilda (sorry Caro but my nana hated it, this was 65 years ago tho and fashion were different, my nana thought it was a very old fashioned name LOL, funny how names come round again). She convinced her mother that Elda was a derivation of Matilda, but I think she just made it up LOL!

TT ;0)

• Options

LOL to snot bubble!

TT ;0)

• Options

JT- I know striking not going to be popular with parents etc but someone has to try to protect our kids education and the things they want to do are just horrendous, the impact on our kids education will not be good. Don't think many people who don't have friends in teaching know the full impact of the planned cuts/changes.

TT ;0)

• Options

i am totally supportive of the strike. it is a PITA as far as childcare is concerned. BUT i understand that school is NOT childcare. therefore my kids' education is dependent upon highly skilled individuals who are, in turn, reliant upon fair terms and conditions of employment.

(plus i get an extra day with the kids - whoohoooooooo!)

• Options
    My middle gal is Ruby CC! Oldest is Caoimhe (pronounced Kee-va) and baby Mara. Everyone always comments on names & whether they l
    like or dislike it but it's your choice in the end!
    Congratulations Vixo, lovely news n fab name! Enjoy her.
    On iPod so quick post.
    M's naming ceremony this afternoon so been running around getting things sorted. Still got food to sort (made 50 cupcakes yesterday and piped icing onto them, impressed with ma sel!!!) balloons to sort, hairdressers to go to, oh and get myself and 3 daughters looking beautiful( ha ha will take a plastic surgeon in my case!!).
    M gurny as tired, her teeth are driving her nuts, she still doesn't have any. Hope after a couple of naps she will be back to her smiley self.
    Hi to everyone, will try n post from laptop soon.
  • Options

JG- I agree with JT about choosing schools. My sis-in-lw is a teacher and suggested a small school was better and there is a tiny school about 2 miles away, however the one in our catchment is 1.5m, it's on my way to work, has wrap around care and the best inspection. Only prob I have now is the fact the head is a cow!  I like the idea of 'uniform' to keep her clean, it makes sense to save her home clothes and black bottoms cost next to nothing now so it really is only the sweatshirt which will prob wash and last well.

Vixo- congratulations and welcome to the world little Eliza, I also love the name and that was super speedy. Great to hear positive experiences for a change. Hope you get her home and settled into her wonderful family soon xxxxxxxx

I had plenty of girls names (Ava, Isla, Nancy, Lowri, Imogen) but we litterally didn't have a boys name until Archie was born. I told hubby I liked the name and he went home and told everyone but overnight I did think perhaps Woody was an option! He came back in the morning said I must have been still suffering from the drugs and tough because it was official now anyway. My Mum was in NZ and when she called and I said it was Archie she said 'Oh No, you haven't have you??' (in the same Mum voice referred to earlier I expect).

Caro- hope she keeps the diarrhoea to herself!

RF- good luck with your naming ceremony-hope it stays dry for you and she manages a few smiles for the camera! Teeth can cause a right pain!

CM- lay something on???? What is he on??? The whole point of strike is to cause hassle to prove a point so why would they provide an alternative? I personally think striking is unfair and akin to blackmail, as a nurse I made a pledge yrs ago never to strike and I stick by it. Thats not to say I don't think people should accept poor conditions and they absolutely should take action but I would think there are better ways of making a point. The reason I quit my last union was when the airline staff went on strike ruining holidays that ordinary folk had saved hard for - strikes don't just hit bosses, they hit normal people too (high horse, off, sorry, rant over...). 

Going to drop a few boxes off at the table top sale which Mum is manning today (she'll take all the money and tell me everything went for 1p but at least its gone!). Still feeling wiped out and another funny reaction last night after eating (yummy) muffin cake so really think I've developed an egg sensitivity. aarrrgghhh.

Back later !

• Options

I agree CC - plus I don't think it sets a good example to the children.  And agree with you Camlo about the BA air crew.  As I work for a small business, I don't have a pension, I get the bare minimum when it comes to sickness, maternity etc, if I had to do jury service I wouldn't get paid, there's a chance I won't get paid for my time off yesterday to pick up M (even though it is the 1st time in 2 1/2 yrs - not bad going!) So I sometimes think people who work for the public sector don't realise that they've been very lucky with what they've had in the past.  Also I don't have anyone to represent me as an employee, and if I decided to 'strike' I wouldn't have a job to come back to.

Am at work so not sure how the projectile poo is going today.  She was certainly bright as a button first thing.

• Options
    Fantastic news Vixo!! Congratulations and lovely name image

Interesting talk about names, we are trying to get a list together already, last time we had agreed on Jessica Rose for a girl, argued for months over boy's names (I liked Oliver but hubby refused). Jacob finally agreed on as hubby's great great gf was a Jakob. Jakub is v popular in Poland- shortened to Kuba or Kubus - but the Poles struggle with English 'J' so Jacob sticks. I'm quite fickle with names, gone off Jessica now, do like Rose but doesn't go with our surname..image

Great running CC and CM, among others! Hope the poorlies are feeling better (Camlo, Mathilda...) and injuries are healing. Lol to toenails, ick. Mine are staying on quite nicely this year, since I started doing up my shoelaces fir each run, rather than leaving them tied and squishing my feet in! image
  • Options

How far along are you now JoBo?  Is it going quickly this time?  I can't remember, are you trying to move back here or buy somewhere in Poland?

I've had a list of names in my bed side drawer for yrs, and I just add to it whenever I hear a nice one - haven't looked at it in a while, bet there are some right horrors on there!