My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Cheers NBFS,

I resorted to run/walk from about 17m onwards.
    Its a punishing distance and the heat did me in, but, train hard and watch your fluid/fuel levels in the  days leading up to the event.

I managed a small shandy and a HUGE indian takeaway  last night image

well done on your Pb....

Adbru 

• Yeah NBFS, got my PB at 48:55 so iwas delighted!
  • Devonian - looks great (Moor Miles) - think I'll enter that one. Cheers for the link!

Been contacted by Cancer Research - apparently I was one of their biggestt fundraisers at the Lanhydrock 10k last year and they want to use me as a case study to "inspire" others in the media - I think I may have to laugh - a lot!! 

• Matt - that's really cool - you should be proud.  It's hard work training for races and when you get out and raise significant sponsorship as well it's a big deal - such a good cause too.
  • well done matt,

blog done image , its quite long (sorry ).

If you are bored have a read    adbrus run

try not to fall asleep lol.

For anyone thinking about any sort of run..... Just Do It !!
    You dont know what your capable of until you try ! 

I joined this thread 8 months ago , and I am a very lazy person image .
    Be realistic about your early goals and push yourself as you achieve them. You also need to be a bit selfish when it comes to training - just get out there !

Thanks to you all for your help

Adbru  image

• adbru,

brilliant - totally inspirational -  thanks for sharing your experiences with us.  Well done again for getting under 4 hrs 30.

Can't wait now 'till September when I attempt to do something similar,

NBFS

• Wow Adbru I loved that race report. When the canal bridge was closed I found myself exclaiming 'WHAT'. Got a sense of being there, under 4hrs 30 from where I'm sat is just amazing.

Must get out and get my run done....took a rest day early and then missed a day of cross training mostly because life and work went crazy and I'm not very well organised. At  least haven't missed run. Need that mileage.. image Long run on Sunday did 10k again, a couple of minutes slower than week before, but then didn't end up walking, and hills seemed mere slopes image It's amazing how it gets to be normal (the concept of me running 10k is quite a challenge, and yet there I was on Sun at 8am). Although I can safely say that a marathon feels a good year away...

• I didn't do a marathon but did just finish my first 10k. The hill was a killer just walked up it panting with my HR through the roof and then the rest didn't seem so bad. Finished around 1:10 haven't got the official time yet as I didn't understand the woman who told me. Swiss German numbers and accents! Anyhow, will post my PB when its updated on the web site.

Cheers
    Ashley in sunny Zurich
  • So my PB is 1:10.53.

So 2/3 goals achieved and nearly the 3rd.

1. to finish, 2. to not be last 3. to do better than 1:10.

Emotionally drained but pleased with myself.

I am going to have a well deserved glass of wine.

ashley
  • Well done Ashleymac image

2 out of three aint bad....... (do we know a song about that ?? )  image

Adbru

• New best time for my run this morning - felt pretty tired and lethargic, so promised myself that if I could beat my best 3.5mile time, then i could stop.

Missed that by about 30 seconds, so had to carry on to do the last 1.75 miles: total 47:09 

Next week I'm going to up the distance to 7 miles, just so I know I can run 10k, before I make an utter t*t of myself in the Race (only 2 weeks to go.. aaargh!)

Well done Ashleymac - I might take on board your three-goal target too! 

• Not much to say, just dropping in after a while (madly decorating bedroom, sleeping on a blow-up matress as bed knackered, not doing much for my sleep quality or training I can tell you!). Thought I'd add myself to the list:

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 61.27 - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50 <55 May08
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 55.31 <50 Sept 08
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30 Pethead M/15 PB N/A, <45? Jul 08 Tortoisenothare F/28 PB N/A <60 May 08
    Basil Brush Mk II F/28 PB 60:06 <60 June/July 08

Got Market Drayton 10K in 1w today although as I haven't been training properly I'm not holding my hopes up for a PB. Anyone else going?

"Basil"

• Exeter HM GRW

Well, we ran our 163 rd HM at Exeter GWR in 2.14 -

we did'nt try to race it or push the pace, we just went nice and steady and really enjoyed it all

we chanted EASY EASY EASY a lot, we chatted, we waved, we had fun - it was most enjoyable to be running and not be concerned about what time you might finish

so, now to Silverstone 10k Tuesday night
    and DK 10k Wednesday night

then Tewkesbury HM on Sunday

Lovely Jubbly

• we will be looking to blitz both  Silverstone and DK 10k's and run them in under 60 mins in pure comfort

if we don't, then something's wrong

• Our Silverstone 10k run

On a simply wonderful Tuesday evening in May - the sun and breeze just so perfect, to perfect to believe to be honest - we ran the annual Silverstone 10k - 2 laps race

it was scintillating, relaxing, made you feel good, a feeling of - so sorry it's over

we met many friends and new ones as well, so many people congratulated us on our award and London marathon

so off went the race, we were thinking do we go for it , or just have fun, we passed hundreds of runners, a bit at a time, we chanted EASY - EASY - EASY on route

we chatted , we laughed, we passed the 5 k mark - i knew it was going to be the last part of it, i was sad, dissapointed - so we played , and had fun, we talked people through the pace barrier, we started to slow down and stop and watch the runners, just did'nt want to finish really - then at about 8.5 k - i decided to have a real party and fun, and turn around and doubled back and meet friends that we'd passed - we watched the self propelled chairs storm by

that really did make the evening fun and interesting, not just racing all the time, BUT helping and encouraging others

we finished in around 57 mins - though it would have been around 48 mins had we have pushed it

It was an evening ot remember, to go out there with others to run your own run and have fun and enjoy - just what running is all about

Tomorrow night we have DK10k
  • Hi there Mick and Phil marathon Lads!

I met you on Sunday at GWR. I'm the one you couldn't remember Mick but I said I'd chatted to you in here. Well actually I'm normally in 'working at it slowly' but saw you in here and wanted to say hello again.image I had such an amazing time on Sunday. What a great crowd, don't you think?

Good going. I did 2:13 which is a PB for me.

It was lovely to meet you both. I've been in here over a year and you're the first people I've met.

Enjoy your DK10kimage

• Dudley Kingswindford 10k

Tonight we ran the Dudley Kingswindford 10k - it's an undulating to hilly course which we ran in 57 mins

We led the run off, all 1300 of them , it was another perfect evening, only this time on rural lanes, on a perfect summers night - animals grazing in the fields, birds singing their hearts out -

Fields , hedges, trees in full bloom, white clouds in a blue sky - it was enough to remind you of the meaning of life -
    The hills made it warm, but the evening itself, ( again ) like last night, it sadly came to a quick end - we could have run for another hour

that's it now until Sundays Tewkesbury HM, which will be our 164th HM in total - our pb is 1.43 which is held there, can we get near it - we'll see - i'm losing no sleep over it , i'll not even think about it

I'm feeling tired obviously - but i'm relaxed, i'm happy, i'm content - i FEEL GOOD

There a bit left in this almost 50 year old yet !!
  • Thought I'd drop in, haven't been in for a while 

How's the May runners?Devonian plodder? Will Adbru laugh in the face of a 10k after his marathon?

Myself I'm noticing I have come muscle definition after 10 weeks ish. Woo! Still not translating into whizzing round, but hills are noticeably easier. Had a weird calf thing last week - think it may be an underlying issue with my silly feet (overpronate and hook with my left big toe causing problems in the top of the foot) so took it easy, no pain now but am off to see if i can get referred to a podiatrist.

Have been trying to rally the troops for sponsorship - have stalled at half my target - am considering marching people to the computer and making them donate. Met some of the team who are running (for Brain and Spine Foundation) some who have some really amazing reasons for running, now wanting to raise lots of cash. Most of my campaigning has been online, think now is the time to get on the phone and start giving the personal touch to my harrassment image Any tips, Matt? 

My evil sister said she'd sponsor me for doing it in 50 minutes (she's one of those triathlete/ half iron man types). Hah. While it's nice to have someone else having confidence in your abilities, my fastest 'long run' (and yes, I know they're meant to be slow but) over that distance in training has been 1hr 2minutes and I've felt it. But I am feeling confident that all going well I can get that sub 60!

Right now with the gorgeous weather I am having kit envy and wanting to go out and buy shorts. Two months ago if you'd suggested to me that I might actively want to set foot out of the house in running shorts I would have had a good laugh. Now I'm trying to fight the urge to get myself a delightful new running top as well. argh. I took up running because I thought it would be a good cost effective way of getting fit. hah. image 

• Tortoise - I used the internet quite a lot - Facebook, a couple of forums, etc - all helped.

I aimed for a sub 50 having got 52m on the last trail 10k race) at Lanhydrock and got 44m (with a marshalling error - costing 8 of us about 2mins - included) 

Just done my usual 7ish km trail run - it hurt (not been for a week!) but managed to get in under 30 minutes (only done that twice) so pleased - but exhausted!

Anyone waterski? We have a little speed boat and have been at it for a while - did the first ski (monoski) of the season on Monday and I'm STILL aching from it! Slalom turns absolutely kill your arms, legs. shoulder and upper back muscles! 

• Morning All

Sorry I haven't dropped in for a while - won't bore you with excuses! image)

Matt - I hope I can get my leg sorted and drop into the 6 Moor Miles too - I'll wave as you pass! image) Well done on the Cancer Research honour, you should be very proud.

Colin - You are doing brilliantly - good luck for the Bideford 10k - I wish I could have been there but training hasn't gone to plan!

Adbru - WOW! Fantastic time for your first Marathon - well done you. Are you over it yet?

Tortoise - I'm now just hoping to struggle around the 5k RFL in Barnstaple. My expectations are reduced due to the dodgy leg - the good news is that I have a referral to see the Ortho bods at the local hospital, so hopefully things will be on the up.

Mick&Phil - Rock on! You guy's are fantastic! I love reading about your runs, you really inspire.

Apart from that - I'm still here, still plodding (/limping) but it will get better! Roll on summer!  

• Hi Guys,

Tortoise - i didnt laugh in the face of a 10k image Leg still crock after my marathon.
    I'll give it another 2 weeks the start light running.

DP- good to hear your still there image keep at it (thanks for the thoughts- I have entered the ballot for my next one !!)

M&P- good to read your reports, I thought about you guys as I trudged round my marathon image

everyone else - keep on running image

• Tewkesbury HM in 2.12 - It was HOT

Today we ran Tewkesbury HM in 2.12 - i can only describe it as hot, humid and sapping- sapping both physically and mentally - there was NO escape from it, and i cannot be in denial of it

But hell, this builds stamina, this is what is needed, a challenge in life - we did'nt get to wear we are in life without challenges beyond the limitiations

Having said that, ( Before ) i go putting myself down too much, we've had a busy week, last Sunday we had a long drive to run the warm and hilly GWR HM at Exeter- then Tuesday night we ran Silverstone 10k in 57 mins quietly, then Wednesday night we ran Hilly DK 10k in 57 mins, so perhaps my legs were heavy

Ok, we prepared for Tewkesbury - an interesting start and finish, ( but you cannot have it always ) we set off, the slow start i think was ideal to stop anyone going off to quick

we had NO problems getting fluid at all on route, and i was drinking lots, and spraying myself in water, but it was HOT and HUMID, both physically and mentally sapping, i really had to think deeply into my physcological and mental deep, as to what to do and how , and just settle best i could, but by then we were at 8 or 9 miles, we were on the way home,

We'd done it ALL before, today was nothing special or different

But, i knew from early on that any fast times were completely out - so it was - revert to fun and jog pace, but then i found people in trouble, so stopped several times to offer words of comfort and water from my bottles

then i was on the pavements more than once - which hurt my back like hell - all of which started to sap me even,

I freely admit, it was a hot hard run, - with ALL my experience and fitness and skill and strength , i had to OR decided bodly to revert to get there when we get there

i was just short of 12 miles, when my wife rang my mobile to say a ambulance was emergency on route - was we ok ?? YES, i said were fine

I found the finish tough, but satisfying, indeed it's made me think ( Mick you can still do it ) actually thinking back about things - i found the whole event satisfying, it really was the least of my problems with what every day life has thrown at me over 20 years

so, we move onwards in life to next weeks HM , maybe we'll go on the track tomorrow night - i'm not sure yet, it depends on what my wife might think

i do hope you all had a good day, and i'm really SORRY if things were NOT what you'd expect

regards to all of you and take real good care - NEVER say NEVER again and or give up hope, WE could have EASILY have given up today - NOT a chance !!

regards

Mick
  • Mick - Well done for sticking at it. You've always had my maximum respect.

Looks like it was the same all over our area - I was track racing at Cheltenham today in terrible heat, enjoyed the 800m (2:17) which I was fresh for, then had time to get all sunburnt before the 1500m (5:10) which wasn't so great as I wasn't fresh, but still well worth running.

Devonian Plodder - DO NOT roll on the summerimage I'm already dreaming about X/C weather! (I'm sure there's some vampire in me somewhere)

Everyone else - Keep it up!

• Hey, I'm where you were last year, 10K in 1hr 16mins today...........PB 1hr 62mins  about 3 years ago and haven't done moch since then.

49yr F.

It was hot today....came back and slept!

• Still not got my sub-hr - 1hr 5 today (but as Mick said, heat very sapping).

Looking around for a couple more 10ks now. I'm determined to get some proper training in (maybe within the next couple of weeks we'll have a proper bed to sleep on again!) and I *will* crack that hour barrier this summer. Also going to work on my 5K time, would love to get a sub-25 in the RFL in July.

I'm taking a leaf out of Doing Nicely's book - off to sleep now! 

• Terrible start to my pre-race week. I wanted to run 7 miles this morning, just so that i know I can do the distance. Only managed 3.5 before i bailed due to aching legs. The just felt really tired.  I'm hoping that it was working in the garden yesterday that has worn me down a bit.

So, another 5 miles on Wednesday, then 3.5 on Friday and that's it until Race Day Sunday! It  hasn't half come around quickly!

• Hi All

First class motivation M&P - I hope you are saving all these posts in a blog somewhere so you can look back and feel those feelings again. It certainly motivates me - if you can go through all that and still be positive and find inner strength - then so can I. Thank you.

Pethead - sorry about wishing for Summer! It was a tad hot yesterday wasn't it!

Doing Nicely - fabulous time - congratulations on a huge achievement!

Basil - well done on getting so close in such conditions - I'm sure you'll soon break that barrier.

Colin - hey Colin - take it easy. You need to mend and stay positive for next weekend. It will be fine, you have done so well over the past few months, you are ready and you can do this. image 

• Hello again everyone. Went for a little run tonight but had to stop early - foot really quite sore from somehow managing to tie shoes too tight yesterday. Still really enjoyed the run - lovely evening for it.

Thanks for the encouragement DP - I've entered another 10k in 6 weeks, so I'm going to get some speedwork started now and have a good crack at it then. It's apparently a "flat" course so hopefully holds decent potential.

Colin - just a bad day, I'm sure - move on up, it sounds like you are doing brilliant. Good luck.

Mick - you guys are just inspirational.

Off to ice the foot a bit more now. And I *must* do some "proper" work....(RW is just too much of a good distraction). 

• Another newbie to this site......been running about 4 months and managed to run 4 miles last night in 37 mins so pretty chuffed.image

Am doing the Great Yorkshire Run (10k) in sept for my 1st ever race and hoping to put in a sub hour time. Having never done anything before i don't really have a PB, but have just bought a running watch so may be able to start posting some times soon!!!

I may do a 5k in the morning and time that...give me something to work on!

Clair 

• Fantastic Clare.....you are well on track .......good for you!

Thanks DP!

Colin, I went for a 3 mile run last week and had to stop lots....just tooooo hot...very disappointing though.