My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Sounds like an excellent plan......I think you'll do it too!!

Good luck!

• Rain, rain and more rain - I was hoping to do a swift 6 - 7k today - looks like I'll get wet!

Did my fasted ever pace yesterday over 5.5k - thanks to my Nike+ I track my pace so I know what I have to do - love it!

Matt/Colin - I was thinking of Lanhydrock and Powderham, but I'm sure it will be just too much with only a week in between. I think I'll stick to 6 Moor Miles in July and then either Lanhydrock (if hubby is willing to spend a few days in Cornwall) or Powerham if he isn't! Then there's South Molton in October (5th I think). But I will take a look at those others Colin. It's all a question of timing!

Prepared to get wet now... 

Have a great Bank Holiday everyone! 

• I'm positively acquatic....no wait, ecstatic image

Arrived at 9am, spent a while wondering round as stewards hadn't been informed where meet and greet area was where I'd agreed to meet my team. Didn't find it but decided to go and get ready instead. Don't wear jeans as your in transit over running shorts gear if it's pissing it down. Just a little tip there. Absolutely unbelievably sodden, so much so that tannoy was waterlogged and couldn't hear announcements!

General genial atmosphere, staggered start worked well for me as didn't have to do too much weaving. Heard about shoving but didn't experience any on this race. Had little home made pace band on my wrist and really helped me pay attention to my own pace, just made sure I hit each k mark within the right time. Every so often I would remember to appreciate I was running through central London, but I have to admit a lot of the time I was just thinking 'running'. Can't actually remember a lot of the race although I was grinning most of the way round. Massive kudos to the brave souls who actually stayed out in the atrocious weather to cheer people on. To be honest it was ideal running conditions for me but I can't imagine standing in it.

At 8k I realised I was well inside my time, feeling comfortable and the crowds started to appear as we headed towards Trafalgar Square to run down the mall. It was pretty amazing to be running that bit of the route, and I decided to step up the pace, if I felt good then I was going to belt the last k. I think I really started pushing just as we hit the Mall, and had a full pelt the whole way down.

Official time: 55:59! I am so pleased image But also now itching to do another 10k, because to be honest I think I still had some gas in the tank in the last few k. And of course now am thinking....if I'd only pushed it a little bit harder in the middle section I could have got under 55mins! Good thing I've signed up for one at the end of June...unfortunately I think it will be on track, which could be dull. I will be praying for rain....

DP, can't believe you are voluntarily going out in this weather image Great to run in, not so good to start or finish in image 

• Well done tortoisenohare, amazing time, was this your first 10k race?

i know what you mean about the weather, if its starts while your already out you dont mind, but to actually go out in the rain takes some dedicationimage

Well done againimage

• Very well done tortoisenothare, great time! So many people setting good times - The pressure is now on for people like me with 10Ks later in the year, hmm! 
  • Well done tortoise! Fabulous time! I watched some of the race on the TV - it was very late! The weather looked awful, but OH and myself were impressed with the route - it must have been great running around there! Many congratulations!

I got very wet too - but luckily it wasn't tipping it down when I went out - just blowing a gale and drizzle - the main rain waited until the last 2k, so that was nice.

Due to got again today and guess what? Yup - tipping down!

Still - they tell me it's good for the complexion! image

• Wow that is so great for a first 10k. Congrats.

I am getting closer to a 30min 5kms but need to find a flatter 10k race to get a better time I think.

I love my Nike +. This morning Lance Armstrong congratulated me on my personal best pace over a mile. That was a nice surprise.

Its so hot here we have the Foehn wind which raised it up to over 30c yesterday. We could do with some rain. Please send a little thunderstorm but not too much!!

Ashley
    going back to melting in Zurich.
  • I did my first 10k in the very very wet Bupa London 10k on Monday. I was aiming for sub 1 hour as I've been skirting around it during training. Was really disappointed with 1hr 2 mins and a bit, still doing the bluewater 10k next month so with a bit more work her is hoping
  • Hi ashleymac - i think I'll stick to the good old fashioned British rain! I remember spending a very sticky week up in the Austrian Alps in July - unbelievable - hot and humid like I had bever known before! My thoughts are with you - it must be a hard slog running in that!

Anna - 1hr 2mins is fantastic - very well done you. So close - at least you know what you have to do next time, and here's hoping it won't be quite so wet!

Just come back from a (not quite so) swift 5.5k over lunch - humid here too today, but nice out. Much better than sitting in the office!

Just two weeks to my first race this year - must get some practice in! 

• Awesome running tortoisenothare and Anna!

I remember breaking 60 minutes for 10k for the first time about 2 years after I started running...was so happy to do it! Those were fun days... Remember my first run I ever did at 10 minute miling and thinking how blooming fast it was!
  • It's awesome that feeling of finishing first race, indeed! Thanks everyone!

Anna, you sound maybe a bit like me in that it's hard to forget the negative - not hitting your aimed for time - as opposed to the positive - half the people who entered the race chickened out because of the weather.  And you and I both turned out in the wettest weather ever for first 10k, and got round (I'm assuming) running/plodding! It takes a fair bit of grit to get out and run, nerves, rain and all image 

Also now we both have a PB to beat. Very motivating. I've heard the Bluewater race is nice and flat too, so more opportunities to beat that PB! My next one is the Wellness 10k in Crystal Palace, very local to me. I thought it might be around the track which would have been less interesting but good for time. However I've just got a map of the route and it appears it's around the park, which is really one big hill. Looks like it's going to be interesting to try and knock a minute off my time....image But at least it'll be more scenic.

Am going to try some intervals this eve - not something I did much in the run up to London 10k....wondering how it'll work on my usual route. Half of it goes round a park, so hopefully will do intervals in park and easy on the other street/ pavement bits. Am tempted to wear my big BUPA tee, but wonder if it will make me look like a total nob, considering it's on the large side. Like I maybe stole it from someone image 

• Fantastic times Anna and "Harenottortoise!"

I would love to do a 10K in less than an hour. 5K in 32 mins now though, so maybe one day...........image

• did a work organised 3.75 mile time trial on Thursday dressed all wrong didn't anticipate glorious sunshine so in tracksuit bottoms not shorts but still manageda respectable 36.50 morning hill training needed though as it starts with a rather steep hill. Doing it again in 2 weeks
  • I've cracked the 60 min mark with the help of the perfect weather and great course at the Whipsnade 10k, although I can still feel the desperate sprint to the line in my legs.  The three laps were all marked up with km markers, so I knew that getting past one every two minutes would get me in uner 60 min and it worked like a charm.  Not absolutely flat, but there was nothing that could be considered more than an incline.  Should have drunk less at the first water stop and not bothered with the second and gone off a lot slower than I did at the beginning (first 3 km in 17 minutes!) so I still have something to work on.  It was a bit disappointing being lapped before the half way mark, but the front markers were flying, so I can live with that.  Now I just have to decide what I'm going to do next. 

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 59.54 - <60 Aug 08 (Done) <55 one day
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50 <55 May08
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 55.31 <50 Sept 08
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30 Pethead M/15 PB N/A, <45? Jul 08 Tortoisenothare F/28 PB N/A <60 May 08
    Basil Brush Mk II F/28 PB 60:06 <60 June/July 08

• Great stuff Grast Girl, sounds like a really good race.
  • I have a 10k to do at the end of June, its the same one i've done for the past 2 years, i think the first time i done it it was 71 mins, the second time it was 73 minutes, i would love to do it around the 60 min mark, will be interesting to see how i get on this year, i can run (well jog slowly!) 4 miles non stop, bet guessing i'll have to run/walk the last couple of miles.image

Jen-jen x

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/meandmum1

• Hullo, wandering back in. Hope everyone is OK. Well done on some excellent runs image

Well, I got kind of distracted from my good training intentions last week - I had a week off work, with all intention of getting some good training in whilst doing a thorough "going over" of the house and finishing decorating the bedroom. Sadly didn't quite work out, with stressy situations trying to sort out the bedroom, and resorting to staying at my parents' due to severe bed shortage, the training just never happened. So here I am, three weeks to my next 10K (St Micheals, Stone, 22nd June - anyone else?) and I've dropped a full week. And a bit.  Ooops.

Got the Smart Coach on the problem and it's given me a reasonable schedule, getting some tempo runs and speed work in, so let's see what we can do? Did an "easy" run last night, trying to get the pace the schedule suggested, and I confess I found it waaaay too difficult to run so slowly - it actually hurt my legs more and my perceived effort was greater than my usual steady pace. Anyone else find this? 

• Yes definatley. I am not a fast runner, i'm sure i could walk quicker than i run, but i am getting fitter & have found i can run slightly quicker aswell, i have slowed down a few times, just to take it easy & found that my legs suffered & found it easier to pick my pace up a little. thought it was just meimage

Jen-jen x

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/meandmum1

• Hi All!

Just been running once or twice a week for a bit (cycling daily and surfing a lot) so not around as much but had a fun one last night - did about 5k, still had bags of energy and spotted the local running club running up the other side of the valley. So put some pace on, caught them up, overtook half of them, then they turned right and I went left. It was only at that point that I could "admit" that I'd completely done myself in!

Continued at a more leisurely/dying on my backside pace home with 7ish muddy and hilly Kms at 29m01s. 

Doh!! Nice to be out though. Might well do than Moor run in July - sounds ideal. 

• Yay! Done my "tempo" run tonight - and kept to the 9:45 pace it dictated in the schedule. Uphills are still my nemesis tho - less than they were, but I still find them hard going.

Long run on Sunday - hope the weather is as good as it has been today image

• Pah! Just  typed a whole message and it's gone - where did that go??

Edited highlights -

Well done Basil

Sent off my entry to 6 Moor Miles Matt!

Colin - decided on the races yet?

Me - plodded, slowly. Met nice consultant - chronic compartment syndrome diagnosed - MRI on 30th June.

Everyone - happy plodding and good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

The End 

• Completed a 10k on Friday in 1 hour 2 mins 25 seconds which was over one and a half minutes quicker than last year.

However i was hoping to get sub 60 and looking at the results today i'm also the slowest runner in my age range - bit hard to keep the spirits up when they are the stats.

Oh well, nowt to do but get on with it i suppose....

• Haven't been on this thread for ages - hope everyone is doing well with their running.

Canary girl - I am also generally the slowest person in my age group when I run races but it really doesn't bother me - it used to but not anymore. 

Unless you're in the position where you are winning races or close to winning races then your race really is between you and the distance - finishing is the first challenge.  Running a 10K in 62 mins 25 seconds means that you can actually manage to run the whole distance - you're not having to walk some of the way - that in itself is a huge achievment.  I had to run / walk my first 10K but still felt proud when I finished in well over the hour mark - be proud of your achievments - also you knocked more than one and a half minutes off your previous time - well done, that's a big improvement.   Just enjoy it and keep going - you'll get quicker and soon get under that 60 min milestone.

What's everyone else up to?

NBFS

• I'm doing exams, sampling my Tri club's training and pretending my 10K is months and months away!

Track meet this weekend, could be pretty competitive over 800m between me and a teammate or two. 2:15 would be nice...

• Short run tonight, 2 miles, av pace 9:45 but went off too fast and asthma-wise felt rubbish. Still quite pleased though, because months ago on a rubbish asthma night 9:45 would have been a dream on a far horizon some billion miles away from a very long place. If you get my gist.

Def learned my lesson - I need a good long slow warm-up. Not that I hadn't figured that out, but sometimes I need to remind myself. I can be a bit thick at times.

Canary Girl - well done! Don't pay any attention to the rest of 'em, as NBFS says it's all about personal achievement. 

Pethead, good luck for the exams and your 800m.

DP - sorry to hear diagnosis, good luck for the MRI.

Where's everyone else? Hope you're all OK and doing well.

Basil. 

• Hi, I'm doing the Jane Tomlinson 10k run at Leeds in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to finish around an hour. At the moment I can't seem to beat 1hr and about 10mins.

What training are you doing to try and improve your time ?

thanks

Kate

• Hi kate - I'm doing the Jane Tomlinson run as well.  I'm actually in training for a marathon and this race really doesn't fit well with my schedule but I wouldn't miss it for the world - it's going to be an awesome day.  Is it your first race?  Your time will improve anyway as it always does in a race situation - the adrenalin carries you along.  With 11,000 people running and the emotion of the day due to it being the first one since Jane died it will be amazing.  I've done a lot of races this year and have my first marathon in Sept but this is the race I'm most looking forward to and have been for months now.

Just go and enjoy the day and you'll more than likely be pleased with your time at the end anyway.

Happy plodding everyone image

NBFS

• Afternoon!

Lovely weekend here in Devon - sun is shining, but it's not too hot. Hope you have all had good weather for your weekend too.

Did the RFL this morning. Bit disorganised I have to say - warm up finished 20 minutes before the start! Still, it didn't help! Hobbled my way around and finished in 36 minutes. Not bad considering. Can't wait to get my leg fixed - scan is booked for 30th June.

Meanwhile - I hope you are all OK! 

• did the bluewater 10k this morning. Not 1 for people like me that find hills a nemesis. Still i did it I did 10k in 58:21. The work does not stop here though. The challenge now is to keep it up and conquer those hills.

Good luck to everyone whatever the challenge

• Whoop whoop!!

10K at Stone today - 57:00mins dead!!

So proud to now be a member of the sub-60 set! image

Hope everyone else racing today got on well.