Options

Who's up for this then?

Comments

• Options

Hi Icemaiden, sounds like your times are identical to mine.  I'm usually around the 1 hour mark on 10ks that aren't too hilly, give or take a minute or 2.  Know exactly what you mean about doing a Half somewhere other than MK too!  I'm really looking forward to St Neot's Half in November - not only because it will be cooler then (like you, I always find the MK July Half a bit too warm) but it will be somewhere "not MK"!

Found my priorities shifted re the weight thing too - probably why I can't really remember how much I weighed in July.  By then, I was just pleased I felt fitter, so weight felt less of an issue (just as well, progress has been frustratingly slow on that score - but need to change my eating and drinking habits for that!).

Just out of curiosity:  having done a Half a number of times, have you ever thought of doing a full marathon?  (sorry if you've already answered that question earlier in the thread!) - just wondered if the urge to try a full hits most people at some point!  It's quite an investment in time to train up for it though, so I appreciate it may be difficult if you've got young children.

• Options
    SBS - I've sent my form in for FLM next year (first time) on the basis that 'one day' in the next 6 years I'll do it. I've not really got more time for running now, so need to focus on getting better at longer slow runs (less effort, more speed). But maybe I'll get the urge to do one elsewhere before the 6 years is up. As I've only been doing running as my main fitness activity since Christmas, I've got a long way to go yet. But I'm getting a Garmin tomorrow, so who knows what that'll do to give me targets.... I'm not a competitive person, but I don't like being last at anything so I hope I do improve a bit more over time. I also use fetcheveryone to record my training and that's quite useful to see things getting better. I wish I'd kept my notes from the first 3 months of this year just to see how much better things are. And I'm back at the weight I was last December (actually Peep I've lost 2 lbs, gained 4lbs and lost 2 lbs since Christmas - but I'm not entirely convinced I'm going to stick there.) If I can get a bit lower by Christmas that would be excellent.
  • Options

Spooky how similar we are running-wise Icemaiden!  I put in a FLM application this year too for the first time with a big assumption that I won't get in first time but at least within 6 years I'll get to do it if I keep applying!  Got a guaranteed place in next year's Edinburgh though in May so if by some fluke I do get into the London, will panic in a BIG way first image but will most likely end up doing them both!  Won't even think about it until December though when will know results of FLM ballot!  No point in panicking yet for something that may not happen anyway!!

Bought a Garmin 201 a couple of months ago and that older model is coming down in price, pretty affordable now.  It's turned me into a bit of a GPS nerd though(!) as you can upload your data from the watch and see all the stats and map where you've run. Main reason I got it was so I'd know for sure how long my training runs were (to stop me overestimating!) but I also find myself getting to know my average pace a bit better.  I'm sure my recent 5k PB was because I wouldn't let myself slow down more than 9 min miles and kept just under that!  Wish I was fit enough to keep up a decent pace for longer runs though!  Pretty much a 10min miler for runs above 5k (and more still for half marathon!).  Will never be fast but I'm okay with that too.

• Options
    SBS - maybe we were separated at birth??? And we're secret twins?? Garmin being charged so had to do LSR on old watch having lost new HRM watch yesterday - big panic and strop but still not found. House a mess, must clear up now. Agree not panicking about FLM at all, and probably wouldn't do it next year even if I got in. Happy birthday to me.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Icemaiden!  Hope you have a great one!  image  image
  • Options

This has turned into a real girly thread!  Yuk.   I almost feel like an imposter.

No running for me this weekend,  as we've been moving our 18 year old daughter down to her halls in Camden,  prior to her starting her degree at the London College of Fashion next week.   She seems to have fallen on her feet.   Four lovely flatmates,  a fabulous course,  etc, etc.   

At the moment I'm a bit mixed up emotionally.  I'm really, really proud of her and what she's achieved so far.   Also,  of the lovely outgoing person that she's become - we must have done something right as parents.   But I'm also very sad at losing my baby.  Yes, she could be untidy.   Yes, she played her music too loud.   But she's my little angel.

• Options

To cheer myself up, I've finally entered this race.   Death or glory. 

• Options

So what's girly about Garmins, birthdays and marthons Tim?!! 

And don't tell me that the weight loss is a topic restricted to women(!) as I did a 10-mile race today (Leighton Buzzard) and ran part of it with a very nice guy who was telling me that once he got married he put more weight on which he hasn't been able to lose since, and which he reckons has slowed down his running a bit ... and he brought the subject up, not me!!  Actually, chatting with him helped the most boring part of the race to go much quicker so I was very grateful for his company!  Not to mention, I could definitely relate to the weight loss (or lack of!) frustration!

Was very touched to hear your thoughts on your subject of your daughter flying the nest this weekend (I'd really like to think my own parents felt that way when I left home at 18 but probably will never know.  Long time ago for me now!) - sounds like you've been great parents, so you can take comfort in that she'll be a very settled person away from home too and will probably also make new friends very easily.  She'll really miss you I'm sure, as much as you are missing her - and London isn't too far away.

By the way ... as far as feeling like an imposter on this thread goes ... it's me that's the imposter as I'm not even doing this run (not this year anyway)! (sorry - probably exceeded my virtual quota of posts on this thread for that reason!)  Just looked it up out of interest as a few of our club are doing it and recognised a few names so had to say "hi"!

• Options

I entered this race months ago...I thought it would be fun.  Now I find myself with only 2 weeks to go and not able to run more than 4 miles.  I've had a 10 week lay-off over the summer because of ill health but I'm still planning on running..I just don't think I'll be racing that many bananas..

Tim...  bring my book!!! 

• Options

Happy birthday Icemaiden xxxx

Awww Tim, that is so lovely about your daughter but well done you for supporting her and helping her become the lovely person she is today. I'll probably be the same next year when my daughter goes off to uni for her first year.  Also glad to hear you've put your name down - at last!!

Peep x

• Options

Thanks all.

On the weight issue,  I'm about 6' tall and 15st+.   So,  no 'whippet'.   But has never stopped me entering or completing races over any distance.   When I completed my first full-marathon, I was a thumping 17st.

I'll try and remember to bring your book Jenni.   By way of background for the other ladies on this thread,  I've got Jenni a copy of Liz Yelling's new book on running for women.   It's £12.99 in the shops.   Jenni's copy is only £10 and it's hand signed by Liz Yelling.    I've one more in the house and might be able to get others before race-day. 

My daughter Jen has,  although I say it probably with a dad's rose tinted specs, really turned out well.   But it does leave a gap here at home.   Perhaps a new baby is the answer.   After all,  I'm only 46 and Sue 45.   No,  don't think so!!!!!! 

• Options

Hi Tim, did you or someone in your household go to the Liz Yelling talk at MK Sweatshop earlier this year then?  Just wondered as I went to that and got a signed copy from her - it was a really interesting evening, she's a really nice down-to-earth person (not that I expected any different really!). 

Really brought it home to me just how different a lifestyle elite athletes have though, so unbelievably disciplined.  We asked her if she was ever tempted to have a 'blowout' food and drink-wise and I think she said something like she might have a bit of cake once a year (we're guessing 'on her birthday'?) maybe!  We did a short run with her ... hillwork, not far from Xscape - and afterwards a few of us went to Maccies for some chicken nuggets and fries!  The bits of bagel during the talk just didn't hit the spot unfortunately.  image Guess we kind of missed the point re the nutrition side of her talk (sorry Liz - will sink in with me one day!).

• Options

OMG - Once a year??????

I suppose thats the sacrifice for being the best!!

is the book any good for helping lay people become better runners??

Peep xx 

• Options

Peep

I've only glanced at the book, as I wanted to keep the copies absolutely pristine.   However,  it looks to be targetted at beginners and improvers,  rather than elite.  The training schedules struck me as good,  in that they were realistic.     

• Options
    Peep - would love to be able to answer your question re Liz Yelling book but unfortunately a friend of mine borrowed it almost as soon as I'd bought it and she still has it!  It does look like it's aimed at non-elite runners though from what I remember - one of the reasons why I bought it!
  • Options

Thanks for the info on the MK runs in the park - they look interesting so i may try ans convince a couple of friends to come along...

And Peep - there is no such thing as too fat to run a 1/2 marathon. I am about the same height as you and weigh more than you and i have done it. I firmly believe that most people can do anything if they set their minds to it.

I say enter a half and go for it! I used to think that I wouldn't be able to do it but I trained and somehow managed to get myself round...

• Options
    I'm in. What speed banana are you all chasing? Has anyone recieved number yet?
  • Options

5kms managed relatively comfortably in 23.45 on the treadie tonight. 

But hey,  I really need to find out what I'm capable of.  So, if I'm feeling good tomorrow,  may try an all out 'foot to the floor' run.  Gulp! 

• Options

Welcome bernie xx

Well done tim and good for you - better then me as i cant even walk at the mo as my legs are so sore!

peep x 

• Options
    Hi all - just to say that I got an email from the organisers to say that packs should be with us this week, and if not by 2nd Oct to contact them next week. Rest yesterday and 'swimming' with the offspring today, and easing off the accelerator this week so I can get to the event without feeling totally wiped out. I've done nearly 100 miles already this month, so reckon I can afford to ease off a bit. Will be doing intervals on the tready tomorrow.
  • Options

got the mail too.

cheers peep - started to think I had killed the thread!

all - post numbers when you get them and say hello on the day.  

Have done the willen 5miler in november a few times so am looking forward to seeing it again in warm, dry weather.....................................what?

• Options

Tim - took my own 18 year old baby down to Brighton on saturday to start uni life. I feel your pain. She rang me at work today and said "they are playing Broooooce Springsteen in one of the rooms and I thought of you and just wanted to hear your voice"

damn

• Options

Bernie

I saw my little one on Tuesday morning.  I was in London for a meeting and dropped some bits and bobs off at her halls.   She looked well.   Not expected any news for a while,  as it's freshers week!!!!!  

• Options

Hi All,

I got that email too - I've entered as a team with some friends - we are called the Hungry Runners...

I did an 8k slow run on the treadie on Monday - so dull! i much prefer long runs outside... then I went to do a 5k recovery run on tuesday and had really bad pain in my hip... had to stop and went onto the cross trainer instead so hoping that tonight I will be OK...

Could it be my trainers? this is my second pair of proper running trainers and although I did have them fitted properly they have always felt a bit too big for me... I lost toenails after the half marathon in them... I hope that it isn't because these things are not cheap and I don't want to have to replace them before they are worn out...

Looking forward to the race though - I'll be following the 11.5 minute mile banana if there is one!

• Options

Just double checked my notes and confirmed that my 10kms PB is 45.06,  which equates to a frightening 7.15 per mile average pace.   How in God's name I ran 6+ miles at that speed,  I'll never know.  

Yesterday,  I averaged 7.38 per mile average pace in training.  But that was only over 5kms.   

I've got to avoid the huge temptation to go off too fast in the Bananaman,  otherwise I'll be walking by half-way.    

• Options

7.15 per mile - that's amazing! I could only dream of a pace like that. I couldn't do that for even half a mile, never mind 6 miles!

Sounds like your fitness is coming back though Tim. How is your neck?? 

• Options

Vicki  - That's what I used to be able to run through 10kms,  not what I'm capable of now.

Having said that, I went ahead with my 'fitness test' on the treadie tonight.   I was pretty 'sparky' for the first 3.5kms.   Then,  I needed/decided to slow the pace a bit between 3.5kms and 4.5kms,  as I was struggling a bit.   But I picked up again for the last half milometre.     Managed 5kms in 22.36  (7.16 per mile average).   Pretty pleased. 

Unusually for me, I wore a heart rate monitor.  It peaked at 154.    My resting heart rate is 55 and my maximum heart rate is 179.   So,  I shouldn't have been that high really.   Scientific proof that I'm nowhere near 'running fit' at the moment. 

Tonight's run has given a bit more self-belief for Sunday week.  But I really still need to put in a hardish 10kms training run at the weekend.   If I don't,  it's going to be verty hard to know what pace to attempt in the Bananaman.

Also,  just remembered that I'm entered for the St Neot's Half sometime this year !!!!

• Options

Cool Tim!  So am I!  Really looking forward to that one as a nice change from the MK July Half!  It's Nov 18th by the way!  image

And I echo Vicki's comment ... 7.15 per mile, absolutely amazing!!!  I've only just managed to get up to the 'heady heights' of 9:30min miles on average and that feels like bloomin' hard work!  My legs just don't go any quicker than that (unless it's downhill!! image)

• Options

SBS

The sure fire way to get faster is to train faster,  if only for a couple of minutes during each training run.  Try it.   You'll see.  

• Options

Well, I'll be over the moon if I manage to do 65 mins next sunday - that's just under 11 minute mile. That's the target I have set myself, its quite ambitious (for me anyway), but I'm going to try...

A couple of weeks ago I had a weird experience running down hill. It was like I was possessed by the spirit of a real runner and suddenly my legs were able to go much, much faster than normal, and I had momentum going down hill and it felt fantastic but very strange.

Anyone else ever had anything like that happen before?