Options

Who's up for this then?

123457»

Comments

• Options

Thanks Tim. This is what I have to try and remind myself every time I have a hard run - that keeping going when it's tough is actually more of an acheivement mentally than keeping going when you are feeling good.

I thought that I was going to pass out or throw up at the finish, as my friend made me sprint the last 200m! She's brilliant - kept me going.

Well done to icemaiden - sounds like a fantastic time for you!

• Options
    Online results are taking their time..... 
  • Options

I was 56th out of 440 finishers,  with an official time of 48:14 (against 48:08 stop-watch).   I beat 8 bananas.   They will put the results up later today.

• Options

Thanks everyone - I put the time down to lots of Lucozade sport with caffeine beforehand - stuff I won't let my little boy drink! Dying to see what time they recorded because I did faff about with my garmin a bit on the start line. And the pictures!

Well done to everyone who took part and finished. A shame they didn't get as many entrants as London though because it was a lot of effort for not that many runners.

• Options

The results are on the Bananaman website.   Go to the part of the site that relates to the MK race and you'll see the link.   Photos on Tuesday (hope I'm not in any).

• Options

Bloody cheek.  They've categorised me as a Veteran Man 50-59. 

I know that I've not always taken care of myself,  but I'm not that fecking old.

Indeed,  virtually every woman that I meet - even those in their twenties - thinks that I'm a living god.   And they're right.   Honest.   You know that it's true.   Don't fight it ladies.

Skulks off for cold shower and serious reality check in front of full-length mirror.  

• Options
    Lol Tim... I was just about to ask you about that.  I thought perhaps you'd taken to lying in order to secure a prize or two image
  • Options

Filling in my entry for the Bedford Harriers half on 9 December this evening, so hope to see you all over on that forum soon.

I will fill the form in very carefully to avoid the embarrassment of possible misinterpretation of my age. image It is hard enough being a veteran woman of any age!

• Options

56m41s for me which I am quite pleased with considering it felt such struggle. Cheered me up no end. So Tim, you are a love god - well who would have thought it, two of us on the same forum!

Things I have learnt from this run;

Train more and smarter.

Don't drink lots of alcohol on the four nights leading up to a run.

Buy some new running shoes.

Cheers all, and well done to all who took part.

• Options

Bernie

I think that training 'smarter' is the real key.

So many people - and I've especially noticed this in gyms - do exactly the same run every session.    The same distance,  the same speed,  and so the same time.    Trouble is that the body adapts to this,   so you never see any improvements.

I believe that there is no substitute for sessions where,  for the whole or part of the run,  you really 'push the mantle'.    You'd be surprised how fast you can run.   The heart becomes stronger.   The legs become stronger.     However,  it's desperately important to mix this kind of work with really slow 'jogging' sessions.

I under-achieve for two reasons.   Firstly, I overdo it in training and so am tired a lot of the time.  Secondly, and somewhat ironically,  I never push myself hard enough during actual races.  

• Options
    Pics are now up on sportcam.net!
  • Options
    I look revolting as always
  • Options

yuk!

What horrible photos - I look like I'm about to collapse or explode! which is actually an accurate reflection of how I felt!

yuk to mine that is, not anyone elses...

I was lapped by the first and second runners image

• Options

Disaster. The old body rebelled big time. It's complaint was reasonable. A hard 10km race on the Sunday. Dragged into the gym for a workout on Monday. Then, here again on the Tuesday. No chance. After a mile on the treadie, I cut a deal with afore-mentioned body. Just some static cycling then rest tomorrow. Learning point - I'm getting older. So, especially as I'm nowhere near 'match fit' , I have to rest after racing.

• Options

IT'S BEEN GOOD TO CHAT WITH YOU ALL OVER THE LAST WEEKS.  HOPEFULLY,  FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOCALLY BASED,  WE CAN CONTINUE TO YAMMER OVER ON THE MILTON KEYNES TRAINING THREAD.   IN DAYS OF YORE,  THIS WAS A GREAT SOCIAL THREAD.  HELL,  WE EVEN USED TO MEET SOCIALLY.

• Options
    Trouble with running is that you think you look like an aflete, but actually you just look like you getting hot and sweaty! My pics aren't that bad, better than the MK half in March, one of which is terrible and had my belly wobbling all over the show -ew - just as well I didn't have my number on that one and it is buried in the 'don't know section'. Hoping not to have such a belly by next March (or at least sufficient new kit to cover it up).
  • Options
    Toby Banana - nice picture of you in the MK news paper this week. http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews-news/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=141088 and in the printed paper there's a nice one of you waving.
  • Options
    Toby Banana - nice picture of you in the MK news paper this week. http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews-news/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=141088 and in the printed paper there's a nice one of you waving.
  • Options

I'm in shock

went to the gym last night to try my interval session again. This is 3 lots of 800m@7.7kph followed by 800m@10.1kph

to my immense surprise, I completed this and a bit more... I did 200m at 7.7kph to get to 5k and then decided to try a little sprint at 11.0kph - did 200m at this speed, was still feeling OK so I did another 100m at 11.5kph - yes, that's right, 11.5kph. Now i know that some people do that speed as a jog, but I honestly didn't think that my legs were capable of that sort of speed, never mind my breathing...

Don't know where the extra energy came from, and I am really suprised at how quickly i have been able to build up to doing this interval session - this is only the 4th attempt

Just wish I could translate it into race pace now...

• Options

Veee

Well done.  Keep updating us on the ongoing MK training thread. 

• Options
    Veee - well done - I do intervals a bit like that and it is the only way I think to get the legs etc used to 'running' - as opposed to lumbering - and I'm sure it helped me last Sunday. I've never run that fast outdoors before. Just keep at it! You can do shorter sessions at higher speeds and longer sessions at lower speeds and more or less sets and just keep pushing that button to get a higher speed every week! As is said - Intervals Rock!
  • Options

Thanks for that link Tim! I've sent it to all my work colleagues - they are finding it very amusing!

Well done Veee - you'll be in a banana costume next year!

• Options

Hi Guys,

My computers been sent to the docs so not been around until now.

I've had a peek at all your pics and they are brill. My Oh and 4 year old were number 48 and the pic of them finishing is lovely (1hr 34mins).

I'm now a bit lost as i hav'nt been able to find another run to focus on. They're all so far away - but i expect one will come.lol

I did my first proper run today as i ended up with a virus that knocked me off my feet for a week and i did 6.5 miles. Not very fast but hey, its just nice to be back!

Great times you all got - makes me feel like a slug.lol

peep xx