Options

Who's up for this then?

Comments

• Options

Is the hill a long one? if so how long and steep??

Jenni - thats a fantastic time xxx 

• Options

Peep - Hi - it isn't a hill, just a gentle man-made slope as the track goes round the maze, and then it goes down again. Don't fret about it, what goes up must come down and the rest is as flat as the proverbial pancake as it is round the lake side.

I've marked it out in Mapmyrun and it claims a rise and fall of 50ft over half a mile. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/willen/352851093

• Options
    sorry should have also added you need to turn on the elevation and the hybrid view setting to see the aerial photos ...
  • Options

I wish I'd never mentioned that hill now....

Thankyou Peep..

• Options
    Ok - i wont mention it again. Hill, what hill???
  • Options

Tim - been following your training regime with interest. Here's mine over last week or so.

Sunday 23rd sept - 5k on treadmill

Friday 28th sept - 8k on treadmill

Sat 29th pm - Wed 3rd am - 4 x 12 hour night shifts

..er that's it. Reckon that should do.

I have a slot this wednesday evening to get my last training session in b4 the banana. Come on, give me some advice, what session should Bernie do to guarantee optimum performance on Sunday? A big hug on the day for the most creative answer. Current thinking is;

2min warm up....5 x 100m slow.....2min warm down. Pub. I could forego the speed work though!

• Options

Bernie

Not too much is the answer.  It's way to late to improve fitness.  The important thing is to go into the race itself rested.

Will I personally take any notice of the cracking advice above - no, cos I'm stupid.  

• Options

LIZ YELLING BOOK - SIGNED 

As Jenni knows,  I've copies of Liz Yelling's 2007 book on running for women.  The cover price is £12.99.   Yours for £10.    Best of all,  they're personally signed by Liz - an Olympic Marathon Runner.

Sue's dropping me off pre-race (but not stopping).   So, ideally, I want to pass over any books before the start (so as not to have to run around with them.

Anybody interested ?

• Options

Well i think you should run with them - its the only things thats gonna slow you down!!!!

I'm really peeved as i had a really bad bang to the top of my head yesterday which caused my neck to crack loads. Hence today i feel very sore and have limited movement in it.

I dont think its gonna be a good week training wise as i'm in hospital on Thursday for a little proceedure too so its not looking good for me!!!!Poo

Still gonna do the run so please keep your fingers crossed xxxx

• Options
    Aw Peep, hope you're feeling better by Sunday, adrenalin might help get you round anyway.
  • Options

Peep.. 

...Fingers crossed for you X

• Options

Hi everyone. I will be banana number 3 on Sunday. I'm really not in great shape, so if you overtake me place take pity and give me a shout of encouragement!

Should be a great day - I did the Regents Park bananaman 10k earlier in the year and it was a great laugh. Hope you all have as much fun as I hope to!

All the best,

Toby

• Options

Hey Toby,

good to hear from one of the actual bananas! if i see you I will give you a cheer, but I don;t think its likely as I'll be at the back!

Peep - aw, hope you are feeling better by sunday - just take it easy this week so that you are ready to go for it...

• Options

Toby Banana

Are you one of the 'whippet' bananas that only GB standard runners will pass.   Or one of the 'dead slug' bananas that my 84 year old father-in-law would beat ? 

• Options

HAHA!! I'm VERY far from being a whippet. I'm timed to do 5 minute km's ie finish in 50 mins. At the regents park one I came in slightly ahead of time but only by a minute or so. There were a couple of guys ahead of me who were lightening quick (think one did a 35 minute run).

All I can say is that those suits are really really hot, so if its anything like Regents park, or the GNR on Sunday - both of which were roasting - then it really is hard work.

Hope everyone has a great time. I'm sure lots of MK virgins will be surprised at how green and pleasant it really is!

• Options

Hi Toby,

I take my hat off to you for being able to run in a banana and especially 10k in 50 mins. I'd love to be able to give you a vote of ecouragement as we pass you but in reality could you give me and OH, numbers 47 & 48 a shout as you lap us.lol

Its nice to see your post (a real Banana!) as i never thought i'd get to see one on the day.

I'm really fed up now as i've just had to phone in sick for work tomorrow. I hate letting the team down!! The doc says it's all muscular so i cant injure it any more then it is - so i could take loads of pills if need too and do the run so i will deffo be there. YEY

• Options

Toby

Yeah, but you bananas get a 5 minute head start don't you, so your official time will be 45 minutes?

All

Did 5kms on the treadie yesterday in 24.17  (1st km - 13.0kph, 2nd km - 13.1kph, 3rd km - 12.0kph,  4th km - 11.0kph, and 5th km - 13.0kph).    My body and mind had a bit of a row during this training run.   Mentally, I wanted to run a fast one.   But my body said hang on,  you ran two hard 10kms at the weekend and this is supposed to be taper week.   So,  it slowed me down.   But my mind regained control late on and I finished strongly.    Then,  the normal post-run gym incline training.

No gym today.   Hoping to put in a couple of 5kms on Thursday and Friday.  Then, give myself Saturday off.

• Options

Yup we get set off at staged intervals. Not entirely sure how it works. I should cross the fininsh line when 40 minutes is on the clock, but like you say I get a head start so actual time is 50 minutes. Give or take!

The banana suits are actually really light, so its only if the weather is particularly hot that they become a burden. At the GNR on Sunday I was also a target for the chavs and their water bottles, which meant the suit became pretty soggy which wasn't so great!

Anyway, hope to meet some of you on Sunday. There is someone from Coronation Street introducing everyone (not sure who - afraid i don't watch it).

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Toby

• Options

I DID IT!!!

major acheivement on the treadie last night! I know to you speedy people it won't see like it, but I am really chuffed with myself!

I managed to do the 3x800m @10.1kph last night, with 800m jog recoveries in between

It's my 3rd or 4th attempt to do this - the first time I couldn't do the second lot at that spedd, and then last week I did the second lot but not the third. My heart rate was really high though, according to the treadie it went up to 192... maybe that was too much?

Still, feeling better about my running which is good leading up to sunday!

• Options

Vicki

Great stuff.   For a lot of my fellow gym members,  the treadie 10kph 'wall' is a major barrier.   Congrats on breaking through it.

And never put yourself down or compare yourself with others.

There will always be faster runners than you (many of whom post on RW and so present an unbalanced view of the running community).  And there will always be slower runners than you.

That's not important.   All that matters is that you enjoy yourself,  keep fit,  meet people and (if it's important to you) improve. 

• Options

Organisers e-mailed me today to say that I don't have to wear the yellow shirt if I don't want to.   But I'll stick out somewhat in black! 

• Options

Thanks for the word of encouragement Tim - I actually managed a 15 second blast at the end at 11.1 kph - didn't think it was possible for my legs to go that fast personally, so that was another first!

I got my race pack today - what a horrible vile colour and fabric t shirt! the postman must have been confused as i have entered a team of 8 people and had all their stuff sent to my flat - 8 nasty yellow t shirts! Tim, if you wear black can you claim that you are an over-ripe banana!!

so, here are the numbers...

Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17
    Bernie W - 414
    Icemaiden - 390
    Tim of MK - 440
    Vicki - 481
    Toby -  B3

• Options

To make it more fun, let's add predicted times.  See how close we all get. 

Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17
    Bernie W - 414
    Icemaiden - 390
    Tim of MK - 440  (est. 50 mins)
    Vicki - 481
    Toby -  B3

• Options
    Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17  (56 mins)
    Bernie W - 414
    Icemaiden - 390
    Vicki - 481
    Toby -  B3
  • Options
    Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17  (56 mins)
    Bernie W - 414
    Icemaiden - 390
    Vicki - 481 (66 mins)
    Toby -  B3
  • Options
    Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17  (56 mins)
    Bernie W - 414
    Icemaiden - 390 (65 mins)
    Vicki - 481 (66 mins)
    Toby -  B3
  • Options

Good luck everyone for Sunday.  6 of our club are doing this race, so I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.  It sounds fun!

I'm off up to Bonnie Scotland today for River Ness race on Sunday.  Won't be passing any bananas (well, if I do, they've got a little lost!) but hoping to spot Nessie!!!

Enjoy the race!  image

• Options

Peep - 47
    Mr Peep - 48
    Jenni W - 17  (56 mins)
    Bernie W - 414
    Vicki - 481 (66 mins)
    Toby -  B3 (50 mins)

Can I just say - I know the t shirts aren't exactly the nicest in the world, but it looks so much better for Leukaemia Research if everyone is in yellow. At the end of the day the event is organised to raise publicity and money for the charity and I know that they are really keen for everyone to wear the yellow shirts.

• Options

Peep - 47 (66 mins)
    Mr Peep - 48 (66 mins)
    Jenni W - 17  (56 mins)
    Bernie W - 414
    Vicki - 481 (66 mins)
    Toby -  B3 (50 mins)

Are we going for chip times or watch times?? 

I'm just leaving forhospital to go and have my little OP. Hopefully i'll beable to do some speed work before the run but if not then my next will be at the race.

We'll be wearing our yellow shirt and have our names across the neck line. So lookout for Paulette and Nige xxxx 

• Options

Peep

Good Luck today...hope everything goes well