Options

Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

Comments

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Sorry Raich, by the time I'd finished most had been sold !

Sheep, when is seaford mara, I might give it a go if i'm still standing.

BE, who was that 60yr old woman, it wasn't supergirl pammie was it, shes amazing.

• Options
    Am I the only person who is still on a high from completing my first marathon last sunday?image
  • Options
    JB and Raich(am definitely considering half at Notts) - no - I keep waiting for the promised post race blues but not yet - still in a feel good haze. Just walked up the road and thinking 'this time last week.......'

agree with the fact that this thread helps!
  • Options

jb, still high - and wearing the tshirt as i type image

raich, some of the t shirts were grey with blue and green writing, some were white. i got a long sleeved v neck white ladies fit for £10 - it is nice quality. don't know if that's the basic or not?

sherpa - have you done seaford before? i'm not doing it, just listing maras for sunluvva - get her to do them!!

mike, cross country sounds good.

leg feels loads better - might risk club on tuesday - it's the 5k time trial and i want to beat my previous pb. might have a ploddle tomorrow and check it out. in fact, might take son for run/walk so i'll really be sensible then.

eastham, lol at kim - he's still her baby!

raich, although i know what myrtle means, i love my garmin. and if i put it on pace for current lap i find i can pace myself quite well with it. using current pace is rubbish cos can leap all over the place depending on signal. 

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

I had a look on the South Downs marathon site, the organiser has created a fly through of the route, it looks really nice, you cant see how steep the hills are properly but the profile of it is enough to bring me out in a sweat.

I'm still on a high, I'm at my sisters and have bought my medal with me to show everyone.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

The t shirt i got was short sleeve, mostly white with red trim down the arms and across the neck. Has the shakespeare marathon written on the front and a slogon from shakespeare on the back. I wouldn't normally purchase t shirts at races unles but thought i wanted one this time since i want to keep wearing it and show people that i have run a marathon...

With regards pace, i would guess that you should be quicker over shorter distances now, perhaps up to half marathon. I reckon because we are all used to going for a long time running, the shortness of the run doesn't feel so bad and therefore you tend to run it quicker. Well done to everyone on that. Another "perk" of training for a marathon.

I went for a five mile run last night, very pleasant in the evening sunshine. And without a care in the world about pace etc...Going to go out for about an hour tomorrow though. And am now looking forward to racing at Tewkesbury next sunday (11th). Reckon thats just the thing to get me going again. Will be interested to see my time since basically i am taping at the moment. Not doing too much and not very quick. After that can get the schedule going to have a serious crack at my half mara pb....

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• Options
    I felt really down after the race - but that was probably because I was so slow image  I've had a long week at work but managed 40 minutes to the beach and back this morning and felt great.  I've entered a 5K along Worthing prom next weekend and then a 10K - the Bognor prom - the weekend after.  I've entered next year's FLM but won't try for a charity place if I don't get through the ballot.
  • Options
    LTS,I will see you at Bognor,may do the 3 forts 1/2 on Sunday
  • Options

Raich, I am in genuine shock (and not after a discount!) but I would've thought from the pics I've seen that you'd be celebrating your 30th in Nov '10, not 40th!  Can't believe it.

JB, reckon it took me the best part of a fortnight to stop grinning from ear to ear every time I thought about it. image  This weekend I'm in Peak District with bunch of rather couch potato mates, and they all want to know how mara went, so I've had fun reliving it all again!

• Options
    oh and RD, meant to say, I could reel off list of academic qualifics - suffice to say that I was midway thru my 20s before I finished formal education and started proper work.  Job I do now I enjoy, but rewards aren't great.  My 'lazy' brother, on the other hand, struggled thru A levels, dropped out of uni, never really appeared to put any effort in, despite being far brighter than everyone thought, spent few years working in v demanding but cr**** jobs, now earns several times what I do, really rewarding job, loves what he does ... just hasn't gone the 'traditional' route.
  • Options
    HT: you have joined my best friends list, even though I have yet to meet you image 
  • Options

JB and all: nope, you're not the only ones still feeling good about running a first marathon last weekend. Fab, isn't it! 

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Just booked a week in cyprus with my sisters for 2 weeks after the south downs mara so a nice reward to look forward too.

I missed that Raich, I agree with HT, you cant possibly be 40 this year, you look much younger and not even a hint of middle aged spread <goes into an envious sulk>

My mum showed my medal to all her friends at the consevative club!  They hold rotary meetings there too so they're going to mention that I did the race as its a rotary one, not sure why but if the old gals want to why not.

• Options

SL - only 38 this year, so you can't sulk yet. And the middle age spread thing isn't happening cos I'm pear shaped: there are definitely wobbly saddlebag thingies, but the capris I had on for the race have an inner cellulite/wobble-hiding layer. Now I'm giving away all my secrets...image

Thought they had stopped making the control-liner leggingy things but it looks like you can still get something similar: here's a link for anyone interested 
     wobble control.

I bought stuff from this company a few years ago, and although it's a bit pricey, it's worn well. The double layer doesn't get too hot unless it's very warm weather. They were very comfortable last week, and I've got some longer ones that I did 20 mile runs in comfortably too.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

long tall sally ann - don't despair and worry about your time. The fact that you did it and achieved it, is a fantastic achievement. Until you have ran a marathon you don't realise how difficult it is. And it starts 18 or so weeks previous as well. So you have put all that hard effort in to get there as well. Just get that medal out again and remember the day...This time last week eh????

I am glad you felt good about your run yesterday and have entered some races. That will get you back in to the swing of things as well. I too have entered the london ballot. This will be my third attempt but am not worried about getting in. Would be nice but have looked at the edinburgh marathon for next year any way. The course looks good, flat and not many up bits and looks to be well supported. At least it doesn't have that nasty greenway section. If you can survive that, i reckon you can survive anything.

Have a good bank holiday everyone.

• Options
    LTS - I think we're getting a false perspective on speeds because of the one lap cut-off time - if you look at FLM results, we'd be much further up the field.
  • Options

The rain came a week too late - what a miserable day its been today. Still have been happily reliving last Sunday - wore my t-shirt to the gym(got a friend who was doing the half to get mine and I think its a mans coz the same as Marty74 but no problem as it still gets the message across!). Also made my commerative plaque including a photo and my medal which is now proudly hanging in the kitchenimage

Great minds SL - booked our family hol yday too - a week in Majorca in 10 weeks.  Will be good for a rest - OH said you're not taking your running stuff are you. Of course I will!!!

LTS - like you I was initially disappointed with my time but have since realised from reading various accounts of the race and being told by an experienced FLM that we finished a hard marathon given the unexpected weather(not acclimatised from our winter training) and should be proud of it. Apparently London is easier particularly mentally given the number of spectators and runners - which you and I both know all to well in the later stages of Stratford were extremely lonely and sparse. 

• Options

lts, it was a great time, it's just the cut off time put off the less speedy runners so it skews the results. tbh i didn't enjoy running a lot of it because it felt like such hard work and was a real mental battle of will i make it, and if i don't slow down i'm going to hit the wall etc. so i'm really looking forward to doing another one - i now know i can keep going for 26.2 miles and that i won't necessarily hit the wall. it's a bit like failing my driving test first time round, i wasn't bothered cos at least i now knew what the second one was going to be like!

is it really only a week ago, if feels like a lot longer! 

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭
    didanother 5 miler this afternoon i still dont feel great but Halsteadis Sunday so i have another week to recover. keeping fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Thank you.  Don't feel too bad now and i'm looking forward to more races and will definitely do another marathon.  I think I felt particularly guilty because my son in law came out to meet me at mile 25 or so because my family were worried where I was and then becuase there was a particularly heavy shower at that point he got very wet!
  • Options
    LJB1 - yes it was very lonely on that second lap.  Wish I could have run a bit faster and then we could have run together image
  • Options

Hi guys . Still nice to see you all posting on here .

LTSA - don't feel guilty .AT least you finished it and it was a toughie to complete.btw  I only ran the half and had to contact family to get them back from mile 20 .My mum had even bought me a T-shirt bless her image

Just back from 3 forts marathon ,which has put a few demons to rest .Lovely race.But really tough hills ,they were relentlessimage 

• Options
    proper boproper bo ✭✭✭

I don't believe it, following on from my pb at Stratford I got a pb for a 10k today!

The course at Langtoft near Peterborough was very flat and it was nowhere near as hot as last week.

• Options

Also managed a 10k PB today.

My first outing after last week - a local 10k (Beddington Park in Surrey) which I entered last year.

time last year was 51.30

time this year was 46.02

the 16 weeks marathon training certainly helped!

am sorely tempted to enter the Amsterdam marathon in October - anyone else thinking of/already entered?

• Options
    Well done on your PBs guys ..
  • Options
    Hi LTS - we definitely should have stuck together for morale support - must admit I panicked about the cut off time hence speeding up in the 2nd half of the first lap. My family started to worry when Mick n Phil finished - and I was no where in sight.............

RD and Raich - can you help me out. I am trying to work out what you both mean about the results being skewed due to the first lap cut off- cant get my head around the logic??
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

sherpa - well done on your run. Guess the weather conditions were more compatible with marathon running. Glad you completed it and had a great time.

richard - fair play buddy. Thats a fantastic achievement. To knock over 5 mins off your 10k time is superb. Whats your next aim sub 45? That should be well in your sights if you choose a nice flat course with some good spread of abilities.

LJB1 - i reckon what they mean is because the cut off time for running the second lap is quite tight, it will have put many people off entering since if you cant run a half in less than 2 hours 30 mins, you have no chance of completing it. Looking at the london marathon where there is no cut off time, there are thousands still streaming through half way well after 3 hours has elapsed.

Reading other peoples reports on the race i reckon that we picked quite a hard one to do for our first. Roll on a big city marathon with plenty of support all the way round, especially in the last 6 miles and just see how it inspires us to run that little bit quicker. Is that what you mean Rd and Raich??

• Options
    Hi Marty - thanks for the thoughts - I wondered if that was what they meant!

Am having a look around halfs in September - have done Notts in 2006 and was thinking about trying it again for comparison/PB however Bristol looks quite interesting - anyone done Bristol as its been going 20 years?
  • Options
    proper boproper bo ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I spoke to a mate that did Blackpool on the same day as Stratford.

He said the weather was perfect and there wasn't even a sea breeze!

What are the chances of repeat conditions next year?