Options

I keep collapsing

Comments

• Options
    RIP Doug, will miss you
  • Options

Thanks to all Douglas' friends who have joined us on here to tell us a little more about him.  I trust that you share his outlook on life to see the positives that have come from all of this. 

• Options
    I never knew you Doug but felt like I did having followed this thread. RIP. Best wishes to Doug's family.
  • Options
    MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

Rest in peace Doug,

No more pain, no more worries.  Just peace.

I wish strength and courage to your family Doug.

Goodbye. 

• Options
    Douglas, rest in peace. Your thread has been an inspiration to many. Deepest sympathies to Doug's friends and family.
  • Options

I've followed your journey Doug and have been moved and inspired by you all year. You helped me get through a bout of illness not long back that could have made my life miserable. Thanks to you I was back to my functional, happy self in no time.
    Such is the power of this forum and the character of Doug.
    I apologise for not having useful words for you during your illness, but my thoughts have been, and continue to be, with you.
    Thank you. Sleep well.
    Bear x

• Options

I'm absolutely gutted! 

My thoughts go out to all the friends and family of Douglas at this very sad time.

To Douglas,

Thank you for sharing your journey with us right to it's conclusion.  I feel very grateful that I found this thread and got to "know you".

Jayne x

• Options

Doug

You were an inspiration to both Rich and I. We have great memories of our track sessions and runs around Richmond Park. You will be sorely missed 

RIP

• Options

Douglas was an original, a one-off - and many of us now will have an irreplaceable void in our lives.  He has been a marvellous and especially kind friend to me in the past ten years and I shall miss him a great deal.  Douglas's bravery and indomitable spirit in the last year has also been a great lesson to me - I have learned a lot from him. 

Jane / BushBabe

• Options

Sympathy to all Douglas' family. He was a brave man, and a real example to all of us.

Will be thinking of you when I toe the line at FLM 09  Doug, proud to have "known" you.

• Options
    I was only a lurker and did not know Douglas but have learned so much from reading this thread - it takes quite some bloke to have given so much to random strangers who did not know him, simply by the example he set
  • Options
    Every time I logged onto this site I feared the words I have read today but that did not prepare me for the shock & sadness I felt as I scrolled down & read them. Douglas, I'll miss our chats & our lunches at the Lebanese on Lavender Hill or the Greyhound on Battersea High St- when we were feeling posh! May you rest in peace & may your bravery & your unflinching positive outlook be an inspiration to us all not to get hung up on the trivial things which we think are important but to enjoy every minute we are blessed with. When I visited you recently in hospital I think it sums up the straight forward character you are that all you wanted me to bring you was a strawberry milkshake, some chicken consomme and an Evening Standard. You were still getting on with things making & taking calls getting everything straight & sorted. God bless you mate.
    Until we meet again, farewell. Jason.
    My sincere condolences to all of Douglas's family my thoughts are with you. Jas.on
  • Options
    prayers and thoughts with you
  • Options

I never could find the right words, and now more than ever they fail me. Such sad news.

Bless you Doug for your inspirational words. My condolences to Doug's family and friends. My sympathies to all who 'knew' him through this remarkable blog.

RIP

• Options

Goodbye Doug. I only ever lurked on here, but you were always so inspirational, and your strength shamed me into getting out of the door when all I had was a sore knee. Sincere condolences to all of you who knew and loved him.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I'm running the Edinburgh half in April (my first ever race), and I'd like to run it in the memory of someone who truly inspired me and kicked my metaphorical arse when I couldn't be bothered to run, even though I never met or "spoke" to him.

RIP

• Options

Sad, sad news.

You were a very brave man and you've touched the hearts of many many people. You will not be forgotten.

My sincere condolences to all of Doug's friends and family.

Rest in peace, Doug.

• Options
    Douglas,

You have taught me a number of valuable lessons in life over the last year. You have taught me to live life to the full, appreciate the time we have on this planet, and the power of a positive mental attitude.

You have changed my life, and the lives of many others who have either posted on here or knew you.

Rest in Peace, when I run the Edinburgh marathon next year, I will do it with your spirit helping me every step of the way.

Heather
  • Options
    Thank you very much Rupert for the photographs, I only knew Douglas with grey hair or more recently no hair so it made me smile so thanks for that.

Philly
  • Options

Desperately sad news and I don't really know what to add that's not been said already.

Douglas will be sadly missed.

Ali.

• Options
    I wish peace and calm  to Douglas and all his friends, relatives and those of  us who only knew him through this site. xxx
  • Options

Rest in peace Douglas, you have been an inspiration to many, some of whom have posted here, many of whom haven't but you have still touched them.

I am "racing" on boxing day and when it gets tough i will think of you to keep me going.

If any relatives or friends would like to let us know where to send donations, or perhaps set up a justgiving site, i will donate a pound for each of my miles on friday (7)

(written with tears in eyesimage)

• Options
    Great idea, Meglet!
  • Options
    I think Merry Meglet's idea of a justgiving site (the beneficiary presumably an established charity - not necessarily a cancer charity; there is much other suffering on this planet) is an excellent one. Should any one of the Runner's World bloggers or blogging lurkers be capable of setting up the site and the necessary device for collecting credit card payments, and did so quickly, some thousands might be garnered and given to a strong cause (e.g. Medicin Sans Frontiers, who often do very dangerous work). I would add the proviso, however, that it would be essential that a senior member of the management of Runner's World magazine provide oversight. In any event, it would be necessary for the magazine to endorse the site, should its name be incorporated in it. May I politely excuse myself from direct involvement, as I only worked out what copying and pasting were six months' ago (my instinct to look for a pot of glue hidden in the screen) and am not yet quite ready to start my new career as a web designer! I have very little doubt that Douglas would be keen to see his own death used as a means to alleviating some of the effects of the world's evils. Billy.
  • Options

Anyone can start a justgiving site and post a link here.  All donations are secure and all charities are legit.  Just needs someone who knew Douglas to decide if that would be appropriate and if so what charity or charities he would want. 

It's very easy to set up a site.

• Options

DONATIONS

I have just spoken to Douglas' PA who has been with the family today.  She has advised me that Douglas would like donations to go to Cancer Research UK.

I hope this helps? 

Unfortunately, I too am not wise enough to know how to set up the necessary  Just Giving page but thought you would like to know Douglas' wishes.

Take care one and all - I'm sure he'll be running with you!

God bless Douglas

Jelly Bean Counter xxx

• Options

Charity Donations for DSJ,

Billy and Everyone,

Doogle was going to turn one of the estate cottages into a freebie/cheapie for fellow cancer sufferers wanting  a week / end break.

We had a longish chat about this in the summer and his preferred charity was Macmillan - I don't know how far things got because the planning issue had  yet to be heard. He may have changed his mind but that was the last I heard so it needs someone (Billy?) to approach Macmillan and see how they could handle online donations - with consummate ease,I suspect.

• Options

Go here:- http://www.justgiving.com/

And click make page.  That easy  Both the charities above are listed.