Options

Brighton Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

RichardB - hope you are feeling better, I am following one of the threads about when the date for closing is. I am so looking forward to next year already.

I also had thoughts that i had passed people a couple of times, but thought I was going mad, perhaps i was.

Richard what was your finish time.

• Options
    I guess it was very tempting for some to do short cuts on a couple of the out and back stretches - sure, the thought crossed my mind (I didn't btw!) but as you say, you're only cheating yourself. additional timing mats at the turnaround points in Hove and the Power Station would help cut this out but that all adds to the running costs of the event.

RB - fully recover before running again - if you do any exercise then best to keep it non-impact (bike, swim) for a while to let the legs recover more fully.

it's only us nutters with many miles in the legs who go out and do another marathon a week later......image I'm biking today as my exercise
  • Options

I have just been out for a gentle 3 mile run and feel much better as a result.

• Options

I'm not going to do any running until the weekend, although I plan to be back on the bike tomorrow (only to cycle to work I'm not  a mad triathlete).  I'm definitely resolving to do higher mileage in training next time around, my legs have only just started to forgive me.

• Options

There was one runner in fancy dress showboating for the crowds who I passed at 3 miles. Then when running along New Church Road at 16m I was (ever so) slightly surprised to see him coming the other way a mile + ahead of me and still showboating. Now, i'm not saying that he cheated, but I'm 99.9999% sure that he didn't pass me (very hard to miss seeing him!) so quite how he managed it I'll never know.

Future half marathons:

Royal Parks - 10th October 

Birmingham - 24th October (a few stars last year, fast course, b*****d last mile)

Barnes Green - 31st October

• Options

Hi all,

I posted a couple of times in the week before the marathon, but for the most part couldn't get the thread to load properly so I didn't get to reply as often as I would have liked!

I ran on Sunday - it was pretty much agony after the 15-mile point as, much to my dismay, my body started packing up on me! By 19 miles I was crying hysterically and my boyfriend, who was spectating, ran for a mile with me to stop me going insane! At 21 miles I was pretty much picked up from the wall by a brilliant South African guy called Woz, who I've never met before, and we ran/walked/crawled to 24.5 miles together before he ran on to the finish (I could only take short bursts of running by this point, as my left knee felt almost broken!) Anyway, I'd never met him before, and I couldn't see him at the finish, but just in case he sees this I wanted to say THANK YOU Woz, for helping me complete the marathon. I really don't think I would have made it without you. You were a star image

My time was 05.05.46 - I was kinda disappointed in it, cos even though it was my first I was hoping for something around 4.40, but I don't think my broken body could have made it even one second quicker! The crowds were brilliant though, and I passed the finish line in tears (again!) because their cheers were so loud that I felt like I was winning a marathon, rather than finishing it in a slower than hoped for time!

Huge, huge congratulations to all who ran on Sunday, it was one crazy day, and probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'm so, so happy that I made it!

Hugs to all, Sarah x x x

• Options

Hi all,

Thought some of you may be interested in seeing this video we put together at City College of The Wall going up:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCityCollege#p/a/u/0/-Y4-IjmBpDk

Thanks,

Rich

• Options
    Rich, thanks for that, it was fun to see and run through both mentally and physically!
  • Options
    PeterPan wrote (see)

There was one runner in fancy dress showboating for the crowds who I passed at 3 miles. Then when running along New Church Road at 16m I was (ever so) slightly surprised to see him coming the other way a mile + ahead of me and still showboating. Now, i'm not saying that he cheated, but I'm 99.9999% sure that he didn't pass me (very hard to miss seeing him!) so quite how he managed it I'll never know.

What was the costume?
  • Options

Hi all,

Havent been on here for absolutely ages too much 'other' stuff going on!!  Have read back a fair few pages and a massive well done to everyone!! image

I DID IT - and i am so proud of myself even if it did take me 5 hours and 19 mins - i am absolutely chuffed to pieces with myself.  Knew I had a blister by about mile 9 stopped at mile 11 to put on a blister plaster to find a good size blood blister looking back at me!!  image  I am now nursing 2 massive blisters which are going to be syringed on Friday (ouch).  Not sure when i will get back to the running as cant get any shoes on at the moment let alone my trainers haha.

The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic even the road to hell was ok for me as I knew my daughter and some of my friends were waiting there for me. 

I took my camera with me and stopped and had my piccie taken whenever I saw someone I knew - it was always my intention just to finish and enjoy - which i generally did althought the feet were in agony!!

I also said that i would NEVER do another marathon but I have to say I just found myself searching for the brighton marathon 2011 !!!!!!! image

Will have to wait and see how i feel about it all in a couple of weeks.

Again a massive well done to everyone x

• Options
    I'd rather not name names as I I have no proof. Just a gut feeling.
  • Options

mummymunch well done i am glad you to hear from you and that you enjoyed it

legs are a lot better today and may go for a run on Friday as i have the Bristol 10k in three weeks dose any body know if there is a brighton 2011 thread if so could you let me know

• Options
    toby3 - there are already two threads up and running.  I propose going for the first one up purely as it was the first one up!  Don't think I could cope with TWO threads...........!image
  • Options
    toby - there are 2 further down the page

[edit] x-post
  • Options

Hi All

Congratulations and well done to you all for completing the marathon!!!!  Hope you're all taking it easy!imageimageimage

See you all next year !image

• Options

Hi everyone, jogged round the block last night which is a couple of miles, legs were tired but today i feel fab!

Dad do you mean you didn't read my post 355761123365.3 pages ago? Shame on you image Ihad a FAB time did 5.39.10 which was under 6 hours as i'd wanted and weren't the crowd awesome!!!

Post race meal...... bread sticks and dips, steak and chips, chocolate brownie, half a bottle red wine and liquer coffee. Felt sick at 8 then got the shakey shivers so went to bed and was asleep by 9 image

Brighton 2011? Bring it on.........................................!

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    there is a 2011 thread for the race
  • Options

Evening all

fat budda sorry to be so keen when we don’t even know that the race is even on yet Like so many people i have just been bitten by the Brighton bug had such a great time If they do get the go ahead next year i my well have a week’s holiday there the week before

GREEN Fairy are you going to follow the Mr Playdo tread or the Brighton Rocks thread

Julia T hope to see you there next week

• Options

toby3 - will follow the Brighton Rocks thread, it was first up and looking now seems to be the popular one.

Have started my training already, with 7 mile fast walks.  Started sunday in fact!  Will lose a bit more weight then start running to save my kneesimage

• Options

Julia T

Sorry ment next year

• Options
    PeterPan, if it was Fred Flintstone you suspect you may well be doing him a dis-service as there were at least 2 of them. One was in front of me on the Hove stretch and on the way back I saw him coming the other way (in other words if he had changed carriageways it was a longer rather than a shorter route), I then saw the other Fred a little way ahead of me as I'd originally thought.
  • Options
    billukbilluk ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who's posted here. I run on my own so having this forum has been a huge encouragement and made the training much more enjoyable.

It was great to see tracyb and The Green Fairy on the day.
    TracyB - you are a legend. Well done.

I had a great day. I had planned to run/walk the course so the actual day went more or less to plan and I pottered in on 5 hours 44 minutes. I was please to get under 6 especially as I didn't lose any of the 3 stone in weight I planned to do so 6 months ago!

Best moment - passing through the finishing line with the crowds. I was surprised so many people were still there.

Worst moment - at mile 18 when something dropped off my little toe - I think it was a hardened blister - but the pain didn't last too long fortunately. Even my ITB problem was OK, with a little help from some ibuprofen.

I still can't believe I've done it.

Looking forward to cheering you all on next year - as a steward!

"There will be days I don't know if I can run a Marathon. There will be a lifetime of knowing I have."
  • Options

Re Brighton 2011. As I understand it the LM is always the last Sunday in April and Brighton has billed itself as THE run for those who can't get into LM, so on that basis I would assume that Brighton 2011 would be the 23rd?

It wasn't FredFlintstone.

Right boys & girls, returning to the ipod/mp3 debate. For those of you who normally run WITH one, three questions. 1)  did you find it harder to run without it? 2) did you run slower/quicker without it? 3) did you enjoy your run more or less without it?

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    PeterPan - Brighton is looking like the 10th April next year.
  • Options

Do we know if they are going to email the people that ran this year?

To let them know if entries for next year’s race are open i know that some races let those people that ran the year before have the first bit of the cherry as it were

• Options
    TraceyG, how do we know that it's the 10th? I've read both the BM2011 threads and there's rumour, but no one has confirmed it, have they? Looking at the LM web site there's no date for 2011 yet so surely the dates are pure speculation?
  • Options
    If it is on the 10th that may clash with Paris???? Which this year was on that weekend. Paris has not yet confirmed dates either but will be held in April. Have to say that I am also toying with the idea of running that one??? Oh the choices!! .....and it's still a year away!
  • Options
    Peter Pan - glad you asked the question, my answers are: Yes, I did find it harder, or lets put it this way, it would have been a godsend from mile 16 on, so that is further than I have ever got without it before. I can't really say whether I ran quicker or not, I was faster, but I knew I would be anyway as my times have improved since the LM last year. I would definitely say I enjoyed my run less without it, but one thing I know for sure, I did not need it from mile 23 onwards, the roars from the crowd were more than enough to get me through. so to sum up, yes, it wasn't as bad as I thought without it, however like I say , from mile 16 to mile 22, I would have gien anything for a musical boost.
  • Options

2btiny, how do you enter Paris? It's on my to do list but I'm not sure how/when your ment to enter. Mind you, don't think I'll be doing it next year.

Think everyone is starting to jump ship to Brighton marathon 2011 thread now!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=157577&URN=6&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=1&sp=

• Options
    In Answer to the MP3 Question Peter Pan, It wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. I've always ran races without MP3 or Ipod, but If i'm training i'll have music on. I think you absorb more of the atmosphere with No music in your ears hearing the people cheering you on gives you a massive lift.