Options

Brighton Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

2btiny hope your knee is ok. I went swimming last night with my 15yo daughter and was thinking of you. Only managed 28 lengths tho !

Karl or anyone local to me are you doing the Bluebell 5?

• Options
    We might be Julia T !
  • Options
    Dear MarathonPhotos.com

Please stop sending me e-mails telling me to check my Brighton Marathon photos out on your website - you don't have any of me....none, zero, zilch, diddly squat...image

luv

fb

not that I'm bothered as they are usually crap anyway although there are some in the "not recognised" section - not that I've looked of course - oh no, not me, no sirreee......I'm not that vain....... image
  • Options
    PeterPan wrote (see)
    Right boys & girls, returning to the ipod/mp3 debate. For those of you who normally run WITH one, three questions. 1)  did you find it harder to run without it? 2) did you run slower/quicker without it? 3) did you enjoy your run more or less without it?

I normally run with one in training. There were points in the run that I wished I could hear certain songs, which would have given me a lift. For example, when I looked at that fake 'Wall' that some genious (not) decided to remind me about. And whilst running through very quiet areas whilst my bones were making more noise than the crowd.

But, I'll never wear one again, not even in most of my training runs. It's so cool to hear what's going on around you and not just listen to the same old songs, which can make a run repetitive. Also, it's good to learn to concentrate on keeping your thoughts and motivation in order, and yourself on form during the harder parts. I think that running without one is an edge for this reason.

But, each to their own. I don't think it's fair to ban them and not enforce it, though. There are people who would have loved some music, but decided to play by the rules. In my opinion, if you've broken the rules, then you haven't 'taken part'. You've simply run by your own rules, which is a half effort, I think.

• Options
    fb - none of you? really? there's 16 of me. All of them vile!!  You're welcome to one if you want  image
  • Options
    yep - none of me bar some in the unrecognised number section. probably 'cos I was wearing a number belt and the number easily folds over that way at the speed I run... image

• Options
    Julia T

I may do the Bluebell 5 this year, as I haven't done it for a few years, hope to see you there.

• Options

Discarded Start Line Clothing

Morning all.

Just to give you an advance heads up, the Worthing Churches Homeless Project who collected all of the discarded start line clothing (65 sacks full!) have washed it all and it will be going on sale in their shop tomorrow (Saturday 24th). Apparently there is a lot of running / sports related gear and from what I saw as I ran past, some of it is very good, so if you want to "update" your wardrobe and bag a bargain whilst helping a very worthwhile organisation then get on down to;

The Worthing Churches Homeless Projects Charity Shop

117 Montague Street

Worthing

BN11 3BP

They are open 6 days per week from 9.30am to 4.30pm.

Have a look at their web-site at: www.wchp.org to see the good causes they support and if you fancy trying something different, they have a sponsored "Zorb" coming up on the Downs here in Brighton.

Mark

• Options

Discarded Start Line Clothing

Morning all.

Just to give you an advance heads up, the Worthing Churches Homeless Project who collected all of the discarded start line clothing (65 sacks full!) have washed it all and it will be going on sale in their shop tomorrow (Saturday 24th). Apparently there is a lot of running / sports related gear and from what I saw as I ran past, some of it is very good, so if you want to "update" your wardrobe and bag a bargain whilst helping a very worthwhile organisation then get on down to;

The Worthing Churches Homeless Projects Charity Shop

117 Montague Street

Worthing

BN11 3BP

They are open 6 days per week from 9.30am to 4.30pm.

Have a look at their web-site at: www.wchp.org to see the good causes they support and if you fancy trying something different, they have a sponsored "Zorb" coming up on the Downs here in Brighton.

Mark

• Options
    OK, I'll do it, I'd love to smash 50 minutes. Was dithering this morning as my legs felt tired and I only did 3 miles in the end but hey! It's still a couple of weeks away........
  • Options

peter pan

I usually use my i-pod, in one ear only,  for races of 10 miles or more, particularly since I lost my running partner last year. However, I stuck by the rules and didn't wear it at Brighton. I was shocked at how many did use them and particularly one fella who had great big earphones on.

I'm glad i stuck to the rules  I manged to beat last Octobers marathon time by 10 minutes bringing me into the GFA range -  I would have appreciated a music beat at the 16 - 20 mile stage, I didn't hear too much of the organised music, and after 20 miles I'm like the dog after the hare - in my mind the finish is in sight and I cant really hear anything but my own mantra of 'nearly there, push for it'.

I will use it for training runs, as I also do these alone,but will probably leave it at home for races in future - particularly if they offer supporting crowds like Brighton - wouldn't have wanted to miss out on the atmosphere

fb - 20 of me, is there video footage of you?

• Options
    I actually ran a much slower pace until half way (2 hrs as opposed to 1.42) but then again I was pacing myself and in the second half yakking with another runner. So, could I have run quicker? - yes possibly, but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed myself so much.  image
  • Options

Hi all

Well got there in the end did a nice slow 5 miles to day

I was jogging along and suddenly realised how much i miss running and its only 4 day’s somehow felt clean again daft isn’t will see if i still feel the same in a month’s time

Mind you it might have been a different story had it been chucking it down with rain

I am due to run the Bristol 10k with the O/H and the daughter but due to having a major operation at the end of last year and pressure of work the O/H  is now not shore if she will be fit enough

And if the daughter university work gets heavy i may be there on my own

if this happens i my well see if i can knock some time of my P/B which stands officially at 52 minutes unofficially when i did the Bath half last year according to my watch i got to the 10k mark at 46 minutes but due to having to run through the gate twice last year to let an ambulance through it was never officially confirmed

• Options

Well my Special Edition Argos copy arrived this morning..................Such a pity that the results are printed wrongly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimageimage 

I know it's a little thing, but I am listed one place down in the ranking compared to what is on the official times on the website.....................I might add that most of the people around me are down a place too....anyone checked theirs???? The time still correlates with Gun Time. (Such a pity it's not chip time)

• Options
     Totally agree,the time listed is not the actual time we finished the race in, most disappointing image .It even includes a picture of a very dubious penguin  image
  • Options
    Damn them I want those 6 minutes back. Doubly annoying as I only ordered it in case I needed a newspaper clipping for GFA. My rank looks the same I I've seen elsewhere, can't quite remember though.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    ORR - How did your race go?
  • Options

Wow Toby, you're super speedy! I'm still trying to go under 1 hour for 10k. I know EXACTLY what you mean about being glad to be out again, somehow running seems to have got into my blood and bones and i'm not proper without it. Takes one to know one and all that!

Same as it takes a Brighton marathon finisher to know how another Brighton marathon finisher is feeling image

How many more people are going to ask me how long my marathon was???

And talk about 'fun' runners!

2btiny I wanted it to be gun time, i'd move up at least 80 places then! It took me and Tracy B over 15 mins to get through the start.

• Options

Hi Tracey G

It was good to meet you at the caravan site.  Found the race very hard work and had to grind out a result.  My slowest Marathon at 4:43 chip time.  Just didn't have it in my legs on the day for whatever reason.  I must say that it was quite an experience though.

• Options
    Fried RICE wrote (see)
    You've simply run by your own rules

This is true.   I do that.

I won't give up my MP3 till they pry it from my cold, dead ears.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mike Frog - If I do it again I may where my ipod after so many runner ignored the ban, but I would only really have it on for the less supported areas.
  • Options
    I was expecting more entertainment to be honest. Fair play to the people playing music out of pubs and the band playing out the balcony.
  • Options

Bigpants.......Felt the same way...............I did expect more entertainment music.

Having said that loved the pub & the guys in Hove with their mobile disco outside and the DJ at 21 miles.........but that was about it really!!!! If I had to run again. I would have one earphone in and one out, but would probably only put the music on when I start to battle...........especially in that stretch from 19 to 22 miles. I did regret not bringing my earphones in the latter stages when I realized how many people were ignoring the ban. But I had decided to be good and left them at home. Certainly didn't need any i-pod help in the first half though.

• Options

2btiny Dips had a few spare copies of the paper that she was kindly offering to anybody that wanted them and as i had missed the order date i took her up on her kind offer

when they arrived i had a look to see if i could find myself in the list of results it  took me about half an hour to find me as i firstly looked for the finish time assuming that they had printed the chip time when in the end i look up my finishing position on the result web site it was only to find that that was wrong as well

I then realized that they had used the gun time but I guess i was lucky as they had me down as finishing four places above the position that was on the race result web site

Forgive my ignorance but what does GFA mean it been mention by several people now and how does it affect your chances of getting in to the London Marathon

Good luck by the way to all of you who are running tomorrow

Just heard back from my daughter and it looks like she will be running after all so the PB attempt is now looking less likely

If anyone is interested the link below should take you to the lucozade web site theres a 50% discount offer they are running at the moment

http://www.lucozadeshop.com/lucozade_offers_10e.html?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=LZD0042a

i have just ordered some drinks from them it worked out to be about 45p a bottle

• Options

toby..........LOL!!! Took me just as long to find my name. Also looked for chip time first. Tried looking for VERY long names around that area...............and in the end had to go back to the BM Website to re-check position and gun time.......those are not important stats to remember in my book......and only then found my name......one position down even then from where it should be. image image

GFA.........means Good For Age......and they are times set for each age category. If you achieve these times in a marathon and can prove them, you are then garanteed a place on application to London in the GFA section which includes a higher start pen.

• Options
    2btiny thank you for that information as i am still fairly new to running i some time see these abbreviation and wonder what they mean i must start asking more often
  • Options

Went out for a nice 7 miler today it was great to be running again.

I've gone and done it now just signed up for the Leicester Marathon which is on the 10.10.10 so hopefully it shouldn't be as hot as last weekend.image

• Options
    10:10:10 on 10/10/10 should see going off at the gun at the Great Eastern Run (HM) in Peterborugh.
  • Options

I didn't get the Argus with the results, continuing the trip over to Paris. Anyway would someone who has a copy of the argus please post me my results from the paper? Quite interested if I have managed to GFA (don't think so but would be interested).

My race number is 10162.