Options

Brighton Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Loftus Road Runner... I believe we know each other in a previous life. Putting aside the fact you did the v word...  you got a great time! Well done!
  • Options
    rugger_bird wrote (see)
    ADrain go here to look your results up: http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/resultsEvent.htm?eventId=334

Thanks rugger_bird. Have seen those results, but they don't show the mysterious GFA (do they or am I not seeing?) which seems to be in the printed results only ....

• Options

aDrain:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Tells you the GFA times for 2010 London marathon. 2011 not been released yet but hopefully will stay the same.

• Options

And Adrian, GFA is chip time, not the printed gun time so the Argus is pretty useless.

Did you really not look at your time after finishing? 

Watching London at the moment - feeling slightly smug that we missed out on the rain, I wouldn't have fancied joining that portaloo queue in the cold and wet. 

On numbers, I can't imagine that they'd double the 12,000 entry, it must be doubling the 7,000 who actually took part. I think that would be fine, although they'd need definitely need more crowd control then.  (although this may have been raised on another thread, I'm losing track of all the Brighton excitement.) 

• Options
    Just had a look at the GFA link that rugger_bird posted must admit it was a bit disheartening to see that I would only qualify for the London marathon with my time from Brighton if I was 70+   
  • Options

rugger_bird Thanks for the London link

Wobbled Yes looked at my results, but was trying to see what sort of time I'd need to GFA for London. Thanks again rugger_bird

toby3 At least I only need to be 65+

• Options
    No problem aDrain.

Wobbled the times have stayed the same for 2011. We're in! Check the link above, it's changed to 2011 entry now. image. Woo Hoo!

Toby & aDrain you could always have a sex change op, think you can get them on NHS these days. I'm sure they'd understand if u explained it was so you could run London. image
  • Options

I have already sent my letter and proof of time, hoping to get an application pack - 3:40 should get me in. Will do London once (for the experience) and then back to Brighton.

I am writing/typing up my race diary (I know - addicted, sad, etc. but i still do it) and am looking for a picture of the Wall to add. I thought i saw a link many, many pages ago but cant find it. Anyone know what it is?

• Options

Toby 3 - Thanks, I now have a lovely pic of 'the Wall' on my race diary

• Options
    Wow your organised Maurf!
    What did you send them as proof of running time. Is just printing out the results from the website ok? (obviously not all 7500 of them , just mine)
  • Options

RuggerBird, I've just printed off the website page with mine on and highlighted. I think I count as excited rather than organised though.

Watching London on TV yesterday I was so, so glad that there were only 7,000 of us going around Brighton. I definitely think I'll be back in Brighton in the next couple of years, and hopefully before word gets out too much. 

• Options
    having done London yesterday (and got a PW for a road marathon which I blame on doing Brighton as well) then stick to Brighton in the future.

I've done London twice before but not since 2005 and it is now so much busier that unless you're in the sub-3 groups you're unlikely to get a decent clear run as there is so little space. you end up having to constantly dodge slower runners, walkers - many of whom stop running bang in front of you and in the middle of the course - and groups running abreast ahead of you. for those in the 3:30 - 4:30 times (usually the biggest group) then it's a nightmare of congestion.

I don't mind crowd support but 26 miles of constant bellowing noise gets on your tits!!

and if your support likes to move around the course to see you - it's a logistical nightmare in London. the nice thing about Brighton is it loops back so if they stick around the 1/2 way area they will see you at least 3 times hardly having to move far. Petal had a 'mare getting from Cutty Sark to Docklands yesterday even though it's only a couple of miles - foot tunnel closed, one ferry to replace the tunnel but only every 20 mins for a max of 220 people, and DLR way overcrowded. and the finish area was just a sea of people and much worse than she has seen it before - she was stuck at one point for 20 mins not moving!

• Options

Hi FB, I was wondering how you got on. Do you not recommend the back to back marathons approach then? 

Completely agree about the logistical nightmare of London from a spectator's point of view. I actively discouraged friends from coming down to Brighton because I'd had such a mare in London 2009 trying to cheer for people and was worried they'd have a crap day too. If only I'd known 

• Options

image That's a very ill tempered post FB if you don't mind me saying so...

fat buddha wrote (see)
     I don't mind crowd support but 26 miles of constant bellowing noise gets on your tits!!

Miserable sod image lol

Touch of post race blues today?

Flash git as well by the way with your PB Boasts, image Go on then, what time did you do?

I haven't run since Brighton and it is DOING MY HEAD INimage You want to know about ill temper and miserable sods, you wanna try living with me at the moment.....

To deal with my frutration I am comfort eating my way through the kids stock pile of easter eggs. I will soon be able to run a marathon in a fat suit without needing to hire the suit.

Brighton's other Fat Boy

• Options
    Wobbled wrote (see)

Completely agree about the logistical nightmare of London from a spectator's point of view. I actively discouraged friends from coming down to Brighton because I'd had such a mare in London 2009 trying to cheer for people and was worried they'd have a crap day too. If only I'd known 

Funny you should say that.... my wife, kids, mum and dad and loads of friends all came to support me last week and I was really worried about whether they'd all have a crap day and be all harrassed and grumpy at the end. But they all said everything was a breeze.... they all had a great day having lunch, drinking beer, soaking up the sun and the atmosphere....... 
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Fat Buddah - well done. Standing supporting at RW 17 mile point was bad enough. Don't want to see another jelly baby for a long time.
  • Options

FB well done!

I see London have now removed the '5 rejections then you're in' rule. So it's Brighton for me next year image

• Options

Well Done FB!!! Must say the concensus from most of my club mates who have done London before was pretty much the same as you.....ie....tha't it NEVER again!! However as a new runner who has never run London before and only ever run Brighton, I sort of feel that London is a must do once kind of experience???? .............And so will probably apply for it...............and Brighton......and see what happens with the ballot.

Brighton Rocks.....can certainly see from your post that you are a bit tetchy!! image

• Options
    2btiny wrote (see)

Brighton Rocks.....can certainly see from your post that you are a bit tetchy!! image

Tetchy.... why do you say that... I'm not techy..... you're tetchy, what makes you think I'm tetchy..... well I wasn't tetchy before you said I was tetchy.......anyway it's not what you said, it's how you said it....... That's it, I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight..... FINE

• Options
    BR - I'll see your miserable sod and raise you a fat fecker..... image

no - no post-race blues at all - just speaking my mind as per usual...

as for my time yesterday - 4:32 and some shrapnel compared to 4:20 at Brighton - and over 30 mins slower than my PB. I think I could have matched my Brighton time if the delays hadn't been there or if I hadn't slowed over the last couple of miles to shepherd a friend who was struggling badly chasing her PB - a bit of cajoling and support on my part got her there.
  • Options
    2bt - my comments on London are based on doing it 3 times and I think anyone who wants to should do it irrespective of my (and others) comments just for the experience.

I just hope Brighton doesn't get too big or too charity driven as that will turn many runners away. the 7500 who ran Brighton was about right as it was never too crowded even in the early stages - you could push it to 10000 without too many problems but any bigger then it will lose a lot I think
  • Options

Hiya FB, I did Brighton (3:54) and London (4:08) and tend to agree.

This was my 6th London and got very frustrated with the crowded roads,and people walking at 5 miles !

Brighton in comparision was a lot easier to navigate.

I hear London for spectators this year was also a nightmaire.

I like London the "run", and love Brighton the "race" - just don't expect a good time for London unless you are in the leading pack.

Well done though FB. Doing 2 in a week is not something I feel I need to repeat too often.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    And you get a real Wall at 20 miles image
  • Options

Supported OH (and Karl image ) at London yesterday. Watching the 'run' to be honest, I think I'd prefer to support Brighton. Am putting in for both anyway and deciding nearer the time... I think...

FB well done, saw a Pirate, but it could have been anyone.

Gmike got a 3.46 after his 3.40 last week image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Well done to Gmike.

TracyB - another marathon image

• Options

Having done London 7 times I am in the FB camp and totally agree about 26 miles of bellowing. Although I was out cheering yesterday I kept remembering how I felt with whistles blasting in your ears and the awful smell of burgers, fags and beer!

London is London, its great to enjoy if thats what you like but a PB is difficult when you are a mid packer.  I always refer to the year I got stuck in the first mile (with the clock ticking) by that stupid bloke pulling a ruddy boulder out of the Green Start...he jammed the whole road and my race when tits up from there on.

I view London as a bit like the GNR, its a fantastic party atomsphere and great to get people running half/marathons who wouldn't normally but I don't think I will be back in the foreseeable future.

I managed to support fairly well yesterday but its hard work spotting runners in the crowds once the fasties have gone. Did see Dan Robinson yesterday, oh and a load of Kenyans!  I

• Options

Afternoon all

FB/ Gmike/Karl congratulation on completing London as well as Brighton

I was thinking about running the Leicester Marathon that Richard B posted as the daughter is at university there and never got a chance to come to Brighton to see me run

Looking at it from the point of view of someone who is still very new to all of this then it strikes me that thing’s like London and the GNR are once in a life time experience

But there are other runs that you go back to year after year

Just back from an 8 mile run which I did struggle with but i think that’s down to the fact a have been eating like a pig since i got back from Brighton i will have to make more of an effort to control what i am eating

One good thing when i got back the lucozade sports drinks i had ordered had arrive should have enough now to keep me going for a while   

• Options

Afternoon All

I Just spoke to the Organisers.There think 10th April 2011.But it will be confirmed on there website by Next Week.

• Options

fb/gmike/karl - well done - i did  a light aerobics class on monday last week and a gentle 5 mile run on wednesday and by sunday was wishing i was lining up with you.

i have only done 2 marathons and am now hooked, though even as i spent a very, very long time considering entering my first (Dublin 2009) I always said I wouldn't fancy London because of the ballott and the crowds. That was before i got a GFA time at Brighton and now feel I should do it for the experience.

I dont expect to enjoy London the same as both Dublin and Brighton, which I loved and were great for spectators, but at least i will be able to say I have done it. I  do plan to run both Dublin and Brighton again.

2bT: I sent print off from results page and copy of downloaded certificate. Keeping my fingers crossed