Options

Just Get Round Team?!

Comments

• Options

People can be so different. Just been out for a run in my charity costume. Two cars stopped to give me money. Another drove passed and squirted me with orange juice.

See you at Reading on Sunday then AndyP!

• Options

Enjoyable 20 miler completed in 3hrs 7 mins - cool start and then rain, heavy at times, from about 10 miles on! image

Really pleased with effort and still have plenty in tank to fulfill the remaining 6 - hope I have a run as good as this on the day!image

• Options
    Karen Gentles wrote (see)
    For those who have followed the just get round pacer at VLM before, what sort of time do you get round in and what speed are the running elements of the run/walk strategy? Ta muchly image

Karen I'd love to know that too

Very depressed yesterday as started well then got a big block at about 9 miles and walked another 3 or so but that's all I could do. My knee was really stiff last night and this morning but starting to feel a bit better now. Must get out and see how it is mon or tues. Just hoping that the extra buzz on the day is going to see me through

• Options
    Well done Keith!

Beduffshirl - try not to worry. It happens.

Reading half this morning. 2 hours 16. Fairly pleased, given the costume. Not sure how I am going to do anything other than walk the second half though!
  • Options

Well done Paul - you deserve 2 medals for running in that!!image

Beduffshirt - dont worry thingswill happen naturally and the buzz will see us all through!image

• Options
    Hi, hope everyone's training is going well. Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this...my family who are coming to watch have asked me about a mobile phone application that they have been told about. I think that it is done by Adidas and with the runners number you can track your runner all around the course and know exactly where they are. Does anyone know if Adidas are doing this again this year or have any details on how to get the app?
  • Options
    Cool! Dont know the answer but I will investigate as my family would find this interesting. Will only work via the split mats I would have thought.
  • Options
    orange juice...never had that Paul, I've had a far amount of abuse but never the orange juice treatment......bad back, ba d knee.........bloody falling apart......be happy just to get round image
  • Options
    I Like your costume Paul, and Rob you're doing great, I think you're amazing to be running 26.2 miles in costumes. Well done and good luck on the day image
  • Options
    SueR wrote (see)
    Hi, hope everyone's training is going well. Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this...my family who are coming to watch have asked me about a mobile phone application that they have been told about. I think that it is done by Adidas and with the runners number you can track your runner all around the course and know exactly where they are. Does anyone know if Adidas are doing this again this year or have any details on how to get the app?
    I used this last year when following my brother around. To be honest I wouldn't rely on it for that purpose as it was a little slow with the updates. Great info though for those following from a distance
  • Options
    Thanks Sue.

Rob, you should be happy to jgr in that thing! Sorry that you are falling apart.

Just done some intervals at my local running track. Went well considering Sundays Reading half wore me out.
  • Options

Hooray - that's my longest run over with. Now it's time to taper!

Three weeks to go.....

• Options
    'ello 'ello everybody image

Ok, some interesting posts here - I'll chuck my two-pennies worth in (feel free to ignore!)

you will get round on the day - I did, the longest run I'd done before my last 2 Londons was half marathon distance - my last attempt at London I was also in a giant apple costume, so I had the extra burden of running in a huge costume I'd only ever worn for a photo shoot!

Now, it wasn't pretty (heck no!), but I got through in a sub 5.30 time through basically run-walking and as it's already been said in numerous threads - sheer bliddy mental determination!

You can all do this, you really can - it's not easy - but you've all put in so much work up to now that it's time to start believing in yourself and saying our fave mantra (from the last 351 pages) I CAN DO THIS!!!

I believe in you ALL, just be careful now and don't do anything silly (like 3x 20 milers) between now and the big day, sort out any niggles you have (if you can) and just look back at your running logs and see how far you've come from that fateful day when you found out that you had a place!!

Just get round my friends, because we will do it image

(edit for very poor grammar!)
  • Options

Rob 22 - great to be able to see you before the run this morning. How did you get on?image

Have tried to get results and times from TDL website but they have not released them as yet! According to my better half and son, I completed it between 1hr 41 - 1hr 43 mins!image

• Options
    Deedeedoodle, thanks for that. Slightly worried as I did a very bad 20 miles yesterday and had to walk a lot of it!
  • Options
    M-A D, seriously don't worry, we all have bad runs - but you did it- you did 20 miles!!!! Remember at this point in training you're likely to be feeling tired and fed up with running etc etc - the last long run (run-walk) I did (a 21 miler) made me want to throw my running shoes out of the window!!

It'll all change during your taper when you'll be bouncing off the walls!!!

Keep up the good work image
  • Options

Morning....

Keith got round in one piece and don't feel too bad today, did 2:06........so happy with that in Nessa......imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage as DD says you will all get round, 70% in the head this marathon thing.........imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

I was also wondering about the text service to friends and family.

London had this when i did it in 2004 and in Paris in 2008.

I think i will be about five half hours as most of all my  half marathons have been in 2.17 -  2.30 range so I think I will be able to map out where I should be time wise for most mile points. But I am not sure how long it takes to get to start line from back of the BLUE pen. I am so slow I will start at theback and stay there....

had a dreadful 16 miler this weekend but it was hot and I hadmissed the last 2 long runs due to injury, so think 5 and a half is much more likely than sub 5 which i hoped for.

• Options
    it will take between 20-30 minutes typically.....just be happy to get round and see how you feel on the day..we all have bad runs leading up and a few injuries that mean missed runs....you are doing the right thing, most people go off too quick and get overtaken which is worse than overtaking as you steadily go along.......good luck although you won't need it....you may see me as I have to start at the back of red.....image
  • Options

I'm in the red start too Rob!image

Getting nearer now and the butterflies are hatching!!image

• Options
    you may spot me keith, pop over and have a cuppa.......imageimageimageimageimageimageimage my 7th year in a row and still get the butterflies...i guess that's why we keep coming back
  • Options

Will do. Going down on the Friday til Monday morning staying at the Novotel Paddington.

Good luck mate and to everyone else.image

• Options

I feel so parochial with all you Big Smoke runners - hope you don't mind me postingimage

I'm doing Stratford on 8th May, and wondering if anyone round here will be lurking near the back that I can say hi to?!

I'm heading out this weekend for my first really long run/walk since personal hilly half  few weeks ago...

• Options

Did Bournemouth half mara yesterday and finished in 2.20 10 . I ran walked exactly as I will on the day. It felt rearly odd walking after five mins and 10 etc. But I felt fine at the end and all my miles were in the 10 30 - 11 range, with just one one where we went up the cliff paths was 11.15

I used a gel belt for first time and no yellow jacket. No problem with belt, but the gels aI tried ( oso gel )were watery so I wont use those. Go back to the others I tried. I dont have a problem with the more solid gels. But belt was great

So I think my 5.15 / 5.30 is about right

• Options
    Happy taper everyone!!! (Welcome to Ilana Wigfield!!)

Koprano - sounds like everything is going to plan - I'll agree it does feel weird walking so soon after the start - but don't worry - you wont be the only one! - plus you have the added benefit of having your body already used to the stop-start routine (it's tried and tested!!) image

Last double digit run today - still don't feel that I've run enough - but ha, too late now!!!

I'm a blue start - so incase my rubbish internet connection, scary boss and school holidays combo keeps me away from this thread until the big day - good luck everyone!!!
  • Options

Hello all

Just popping in to see how you are all doing!

Rob - I'm on red start, I'll look out for you (not eay to miss)!

Keith - I am staying at Novotel Paddington as well. Going on Friday and leaving on Sunday. Slighltly worried about getting back to the hotel before the late checkout time (6pm) if my injury plays up and I have to walk!

Enjoy the taper friends...i look forward to seeing you there!

• Options
    I am in a premier inn someone just off the central line. Might be a drag back after the run but somehow ias long as i finish i dont think it will be a problem.
  • Options

Tapering going well everyone?? Seems strange doesn't it after all the mileage we have all put in!image

Madwelshwoman - looking forward to saying hi to you at Novo - are you booked on the walking tours Friday & Saturday? Worry not about getting back - if needs be you can leave your stuff in our room!image

To everyone - enjoy the day. We have all earned it and the right to run / walk amongst the immortals (who we wont see for their dust!). This day is OUR day - so enjoy it, worry not and all the very best to us all!image

• Options
    Hello all - popping to say hello - I've read back a few pages...I'm running London (*running!!*) and will probably be looking for the get you round pacers as my training has not been good...biggest run 17 and a couple of 16s - I'm just going to be happy to finish...has anyone got any experience of the pacers?  So, so sorry if  you've been asked these questions a million times image
  • Options

Hi Gingerfurball.

Ran with the London Marathon pacers on March 27th (Liverpool Half Marathon) and I can vouch for their professionalism, precise timing and pacing! Give 'em a try I will be running with the 9 minute miling pacer in London to see how I go!

Good luck!