Options

FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Options

Hey Gang,

Wardi- Well done big fella, great pb.

Blisters- Great effort fella. More importantly thanks for your metronome pacing through the first 11, just what I needed!

Managed 2:57 (31 min pb) and cultured the largest blister I have ever seen!

Steve- Just checked your time... want to see a birth certificate!!! Thanks for all the top advice along the journey!

Look forward to some race reports!

• Options
    Congrats Wardi for a great run. I hope that three minutes isn't bothering you!
  • Options
    Well done Wardi on your PB.

Older and faster.

Very sad for Blisters. Unlike us he has got nothing else left to strive for in life!

Dull
  • Options

Yes running a good time early on is so anti climatic. I ran 2:29 in my first London and it's been downhill ever since.

Actually it was my quickest London for 19 years today and 4th M50 - two Kiwis ahead so can claim 2nd Englishman!

Thing I was most pleased with slightly ropey long run preparation was my 19th to 24th mile which were 6:16, 6:17, 6:18, 6:19, 6:18, 6:18 - shame about the 25th mile though!

I was very pleased myself with Wardi's performance

10ks of 42, 43, 43, 44

• Options

LOL

Ah

Phil Holders! I thought it was Phil Pub. Thanks for your help in the first 11 miles, it was just what I needed. I did realise that you were just pulling me on a shade, so decided to ease a bit. That of course, was until I got caught by the sub 3 pacer 10 seconds behind you. There was no hiding place then.

Actually I'd like to thank both you and Crab for that run out at Glos. Knowing that I could hang on for 20 plus doing 155hr was a real boon. Iron the slopes, watch the HR being below 155 all the way, and the job's done.

One insignficant fact: this is my first ranking entry into Athletics Weekly on a standard distance. Happy? You bet.

• Options
    Wardi

Well done on a cracking run.
  • Options

yep . . congratulations Wardi . .

and Steve . .

and Blisters . .

and everyone else image

• Options

Brilliant , wardi

image_

• Options
    Well done peeps.  Benz - you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

2:55 for me - absolutely over the moon.  Perfect race, went through halfway in 1:28:35, then did a negative split, with the last 3 mile splits recording as: 6:32, 6:26, 6:18!

Didn't feel tired at all, one of those days where you feel like you can run for hours on end...

Congrats to everyone, haven't heard many horror stories which is good.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fab run Neil and top pace for the last 3!

Phil.. congrats to you on sub 3, by a comfortable margin.

Steve.. an excellent run and well done on 4th place. I was a slightly more modest 67th in the V50's!

Blisters got hearty congrats and a big man hug from me at the finish so nuff said.

Wonder how Glenda got on?

I got to half way in 90:27 but felt like I was labouring rather than cruising. After a couple of miles I decided to revise my target to a PB (sub 3:06) rather than inevitably blowing up later on. Most of the remaining miles were in the 7:00-7:10 region. I had one bad mile (7:28) when the rain and wind made my hands very cold and I think I lost a bit of concentration. Otherwise I kept a consistent pace until the end and came home in 3:03.43.

No regrets about missing sub 3, though when you are nearly at the bottom of Birdcage walk and you know the guys crossing the line right now are registering 2:59 something - it does seem tantalisingly close. I think I know what needs to be done, so I will be back again next year. Anyways, to take away a 2min plus PB at my age is a prize in itself.

Nice to meet a few forumites post race - Matt The Rat, Jakesy & Dad of Two from the sub 3 thread, Cookie, Monique, Nicko, Nutty Runner, Podro, Blisters, Joe Hawk, and probably more who I've forgotten.

Many thanks to Steve for his guidance throughout, and to all of you who have joined me along the way. It has all been very worthwhile and I hope I can carry some of the advice I have been given into some faster times in shorter races.
  • Options

I think you did the smart thing there Wardi.  Any idiot can go on sticking to a plan that clearly is not going to work (eg me in 2005image) but it takes intelligence and wisdom to revise your target to something you can do and walk away with a pb.

Nice to meet random Tadcaster Harriers on the tubeimage

• Options

Congrats on the Pb Wardi, shame you missed the sub 3, and getting faster at our age is not an easy thing.  

Well done mateimage

• Options

Firstly, congratulations to everyone for their fantastic times.

My sub3 attempt had to be abandoned at mile 14. I was feeling really strong and got to halfway feeling  comfortable at 1:30:07 which was fantastic. Then very shortly after the cold, wind and rain set in I started to cramp. It got worse and worse and I had to stop and get a massage from St John's. I had not had any problems in training and at this point in the race (14-15 miles) I just couldn't understand why I was cramping. I have run faster and further in training. Pace was steady, fluid intake was great, everything seemed to be going so well. I plodded on for 12 miles stretching every now and again and finished in 3:26. Although I was way off my PB of 3:00:31, I was surprisingly upbeat about my time and was just pleased I finished.

For next years FLM sub3 attempt - Does anyone have any reasons as to why I may have suffered so badly from cramp. My sports physio suggested that it may have been due to the sudden change in weather rather than training, fluid, pace etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Options
    Gavin - suffered with the cramping legs as well, once the rain had well and truly set in. I could feel things tense in a "pre-cramp" at the slightest stretch of the stride at that point. It was like running on tenterhooks
  • Options
    Guys , absolutely stoked with a 2.52, was cold wet and windy and rainy for 30km then the sun came out. Ran pretty even. Just under 1.26 for the first half. Both big toe nails are black and 1 blood blister. The last 4km I lost a bit of time. Was crying buckets when I crossed the finish line. You all deserve big congrats. It is a distance to be respected. I don't know if I can do another one...but I'll probably change my mind next week.
  • Options

well done Neil. 15 minute pb!

Well done Glenda

• Options

Gavin- Gutted for you reference the random cramping. Had a look at your pace graph and thought something nasty must have happened. Will you have another crack at a mara this year?

Glenda- Fantastic effort... and there was me imagining perfect conditions down under!

Anyone know anything about post marathon headaches? One came on last night and has crippled me for the last 12 hours. Have drunk plenty (water) and eaten normally.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fantastic run in tough conditions Glenda, I hope you celebrate well.

So sorry to hear that Gavin, I don't tend to suffer from cramp so can't help on that score I'm afraid.
  • Options

Phil H

There's two possible thoughts.

1- You'll be hydrated again by now. Careful on the neat water: go for dioralyte for the salt replacements, or possibly salt tablets. Ditto careful with alcohol.

2- This has happened to me once. We hammered the pace out on Sunday, so your cerebelum may have banged about inside your cranium and got slightly bruised. It's just a fleshy pulpy lump inside a goldfish bowl and got a fair shaking when shrunken (dehydrated). In my instance I was told that the likely bruising was basically a headache, and a few ibuprofen helped the swelling from the bruising. That was me. I can take ibuprofen with impunity. Your choice.

• Options
    Great running all.

Nice to meet up briefly in Chandos afterwards, Wardi.
  • Options

Phil. I'm thinking of doing Wolverhampton Marathon on Sept 7th (Fairly local) or Robin hood on 14th to try to get sub3 and apply for good for age for FLM in 2009. I hope your head feels better soon.

Has anyone run either Wolverhampton or Robin Hood? Which would be better for a good time?

Other option is Abingdon on October 19th but I think this is too late for good for age application. There are no details on website yet for good for age entry for 2009, but it is normally around middle of october I think.

Wardi. I had not suffered from cramp until April 13th. Have done 3 marathons and 5 (maybe 6) HM's between 1:23PB and 1:30 in last 3 years and never had a problem. Never had cramp in training. I just don't know what happened. I will be back next year, but good for age is best chance of getting in I think.

Ex-Pat Scot. Sorry to hear that you had similar problems with cramping. Are you going to give it another go next year?

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Wardi, how are your legs today?   Mine won't work at all image
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sezz.. best they have ever been post-marathon, not sure why. A bit sore though but I reckon I will be ok to run again on Thursday. In your case best just to rest them until the soreness goes before running again. In the meantime enjoy your well earned rest, eat some doughnuts and sip a glass of champers {O:

Likewise Joe, hope you have better luck with injuries in the future.
  • Options
    No lasting damage and will be at FLM 09 ,hope to be up to a sub 3 attempt by then so see you there image
  • Options

My legs and aches are the worst ever. I seem to have picked up Buster Martin's 94 or 101 year old legs after the race, plus hamstring, foot and achilles injuries. I couldn't break 10 hours if I had to do it again tomorrow.

re headaches - I'm sure it's just a dehydration effect and would have gone now - see your doctor if not.

re cramp - again probably just a dehydration side effect and the combination of pace and rain may have made it worse.

re Wolverhampton and Robin Hood.

I think Robin Hood is slightly easier but not a huge amount in it. I did Wolverhampton - 2 laps - no major hills but certainly undulating. I enjoyed the race. Robin Hood is also two laps, first lap as per the half, but think the second lap is easier and flatter. I did the half a few times. Certainly a more interesting course.

• Options

Thanks Steve. I think Robin Hood sounds better. I have not done the half there so am not sure what first lap would be like but it has got championchip timing unlike Wolverhampton so that may be better for FLM good for age entry.

• Options

Steve- Reassured to hear you are suffering aches and pains... makes us mere mortals feel better.

Blisters- Headache has subsided, I think you were right with the dehydration.

Was funny meeting you on Sun.... Have spent the last 2 months glued to the forum, relaying details about forum characters to my long suffering other half. It dawned on me that I had become a little obsessed, when I told my friends and family about meeting this bloke called 'Blisters' a good half an hour before I mentioned passing Gold medalist Olympian James Cracknel.

Gavin- Glad to hear your sights are already searching for the next target. Really enjoyed the Robin Hood Half!

Wardi- How did your other half get on?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I think she got debut stage fright Phil, had a tough 2nd half. She came home in 4:28 but loved the experience. She also managed to raise about £2,500 for a local hospice where one of her friends died last year so she considers it a very worthwhile experience.

My first exercise post marathon today. 20 mile bike commute, my legs feel much better for it I'm pleased to say. Might well have a steady run tomorrow.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Well done guys. I bumped into Blisters and Phil along the way and then met Wardi and a very happy Blisters at the end. Like Wardi I just missed out my sub-3, with a 3:04 (but still a 7 min PB). Being laid up with a cold in the run up probably did for my chances. But considering I was in bed and not going to run 24 hours before the race I am actually pretty chuffed with my time, although I am now just about the slowest of the members of the sub-3 forum!

Planning my next one already. As I have a GFA place already I think I'll do Abingdon. I ran Nottingham last year. The1st half of the course is excellent. A few hills (4, at miles 2, 4, 6 and 8-9), but great support and a good run, with a lovely slightly downhill 4 miles back to the finish. But then 13,000 of the 14,000 runners head for the finish line and the 2nd half is lonely and long. It is dead flat, but not all on smooth road. About 3 miles is on a gravel path, and if it gets windy (which it did last year) then the 2-3 miles round the rowing lack at Holme Pierrepoint is hellish.