Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options
    Good luck TR - make sure you keep us informed of your last couple of weeks training and how you get on on the day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ok CH, it should go something like cycle lots more than I used to, run a bit less than I used to and swim a bit too.

June saw 100M running, about 50 hrs pedalling (inc commutes) and 12 swims. I'm more of a fitness nazi than a runner or tri-afleet and need no excuse to train.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    BTW, I know thats nearly enough to do an IM (just need a long bike ride/week) - but I'm trying not to do an IM !

So there !
  • Options

Morning all,

First - good luck with your first tri TR.

I'm glad everyone's doing ok. This week seems to have turned into a cycling week. Did 16 miles on Monday to my cycle maintenance class and back. Came back along the main roads late at night and tanked along as I was too scared of all the traffic to go slowly image. Then yesterday after work was a 30mile pootle with the local CTC group. A wee bit slower than I would have liked - but at least it gets me out and gets some miles in (plus they managed to find an evil hill to go up!)

ATM - I finally got confirmation from Balerno. And GOOD LUCK with your swimming tomorrow - I have full faith in your ability to do a length crawl!

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

RA - are you going to do Mid Argyll?  I can't remember if I asked you before

• Options

Hi Debbo,

Welcome back - and congrats on another IM completed!

I'm dithering about Mid Argyll! I've signed up for Balerno and am going to sign up for Edinburgh (if they ever get round to re-scheduling it). But mid-Argyll will depend if my neice still wants to do Nantwich - in which case I'd better do it with her like I promised. Are you going to use your free place from last year?

Are you going to Gullane (doing or marshalling)? I'm marshalling so I can have a laugh at an OW event before I try one myself!

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

RA - yes, to marshalling at Gullane - I did it last year too.  What's the story with the edinburgh sprint?  I missed that.

I willl use my free place - I have to pay £6 though as it's gone up in price.

and thanks!

• Options
    Debbo, the Edinburgh sprint that was supposed to be in June has been postponed until Sept 13th. Not sure why!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    oh, maybe I'll do that too then!  I guess it's on the club website? 
  • Options
    Debbo, it's on the Edinburgh racing website - but don't hold your breath, it's a little short on details! Are you doing Balerno?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I might do - I've never done it before - I'll print off the entry form anyway - that should spur me on
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    it's a bit short though - hardly worth getting out of bed for!
  • Options
    debbo wrote (see)
    it's a bit short though - hardly worth getting out of bed for!
    But at least it's a civilised 1.30 pm start so you don't have to get out of bed at some ridiculous hour!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    true!  I've never done a race that short before though - normal sprints are bad enough!
  • Options
    Boing for anyone with a Tri sooner than mine - How's things going TR?

Ladies - Just do it, you know you want to!

For me it's all quiet on the Tri front at the moment, I'm training for CST, but at the moment I'm concentrating more on a 10K at the end of the month. Still doing a long (by my standards) bike today, I haven't forgotten Tri completely!
  • Options
    Good luck to PSC who's doing the Cowman this weekend!
  • Options
    Yes, rooting for you PSC.  image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pethead

Not too bad thanks. Carp swimming has improved a wee bit. Did some comfortable 100s in mid 1:50s this week trying to swim long slow and with a low stroke count (which is 21 for me). I have to smash myself to get under 1:50.

I've run a good few times this week but not pedalled as much (family stuff meant less time to tarin on some days).

I put in 60 mins of all out effort on the bike this morning and was pleased to average 19mph, and it wasnt exactly flat, windless or junction free. Sadly, I donned my pumps to do a short run off the bike and had to bin it within a minute cos I've a PF/arch/heel thing going on.

Its due to the sudden increase in cycling and must be due to hammering it on the bike, cos I've ridden lots of hills lately and havnt felt it, and I've been running off the bike a couple of times per week no trouble.
    Need to be careful and get back to the stretches and Icing it.

My two nippers that are 7 and 11 are doing aquathons at Chichester too, although at first they told me that my youngest wasnt allowed to compete cos he's only 7 and needs to be 8. So, we're going swimming together later.
    Although they could teach me a thing or two - my eldest has won the Portsmouth Junior Schools Crawl and Breastroke for the past 2 years.

• Options

Just taken the plunge and entered my first triathlon at the Cheltenham Lido on 28th September. Anyone else doing this one? Any tips?

Also were do I look for relay team events!

• Options

Welcome, Gill - There's friendly folk around here. I liked the look of the Cheltenham Tri but unfortunately I'm too youngimage Oh well, there's others. Any tips? I'm far from expert but I put up a few general ones for CrazyH a while back - These are them re-done:

Swim: Try to swim front crawl if you can.
    If it's open water (Cheltenham isn't?), think about a wetsuit.
    Don't kick your legs wildly - You need them later!

Bike: Make sure your bike fits you.
    Road bikes are obviously faster than MTBs
    Make sure nothing's going to break/fall off.
    Don't huff and puff pushing difficult gears - shift down and spin the pedals a bit more.

Run: Just run to the finish and don't give up!

General: Practice transitions.
    Have some way of getting your shoes on fast.
    Consider buying some Tri kit.

As for the relays I don't know how you might find only relays, sorry! 

• Options
    Hi guys
    Can I join you on this thread please?!
    I'm a newbie too, done a bit of running (only run one race so far (this years Edinburgh marathon) and some cycling (no races just on my own, get about 50 miles done in 4 hours, i know thats slow!), my swimming is very weak, but I am having lessons and slowly getting better. At the moment I haven't got any proper tri kit, my first purchase will be a road bike, currently I'm using a MTB / trail bike.

I'm planning (foolishly) on doing IMCH next year, any other newbies on this thread doing it?

I didn't do much training this weekend, been feeling a bit tired. Re-energised now though so looking forward to picking it up again, will go for a cycle and swim lesson tomorrow.

Hows everyone else getting along?
  • Options

So Jonsi, doing IMCH next year?  You can run but you can't hide.  image

Very similar to you at the moment, except I have a road bike but it's nothing special.  Also had a bit of a 'flat' weekend but hoping next week will look better.  Also hoping for IMCH next year.

• Options

Hi Jonsi and Gill! Jonsi - 50 miles in 4 hrs on a mtb seems quite speedy to me, I doubt if I would manage that on my road bike!

Managed about 40 miles biking today in two chunks with lunch in the middle (note to self, this is probably not actually allowed in triathlons). Current target is Trentham Oly at the end of this month, as for next year....we'll see! 

• Options

Hi everyone, and welcome to Gill and Jonsi! Jonsi, if you did the Edinburgh marathon does that mean you are anywhere near Edinburgh?

I too had a 'flat' weekend Nam. All I did was tri-club swimming on Saturday morning and that was complete cr@p as I'd been out on Friday afternoon/evening (free food and drink - what's a girl to do!) I normally manage 22 strokes per length and 18-20 if I really concentrate: so on Saturday I was not impressed to be doing 28 strokes per length when we were supposed to be trying to lower our stroke count image.

Tonight I'm off to my bike maintenance class as part of my "learning to love my bike" strategy!

Thoughts for next year? Definitely an oly and maybe, just maybe a half IM.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, everyone. Hello Gill and Jonsi .

I got my Balerno confirmation, RA...which makes it all a bit too 'real' since the magic 25 metres crawl still eludes me. Tomorrow, tomorrow...I think I'll be attempting Balerno  breaststroke..image * I'm going on holiday on Saturday and I so want to get up that pool before I go!*

How did PSC get on? Are you still recovering out there somewhere?

• Options

ATM - don't stress about which stroke to do. If you look at some of the photos from previous years you definitely wouldn't be the only one doing breaststroke. Are you going anywhere nice for your hols (does it have a swimming pool?)

PSCs report is on Kittenkat's "Is this a mad way to start" thread.

Talking of which - insanity has struck: I'm thinking of doing this: it doesn't look too bad until you look at the map. The first (and so also last) mile is almost vertical image!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ta-raaaaaaaaa image  I did it! 7.10 am, I 'crawled' 25m...yes, yes, that's metres. It wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty but I'm delighted. One of the regular, good, swimmers had a chat with me and made a few suggestions and then said' I'll just watch you while you have a go'...His pointers were really valuable and I felt I couldn't stop after he'd taken the trouble. * I swear I could hear the pool attendants thinking' At last, the old lady made it to the deep end!* So, today's the day to ask me for money etc. I'm delighted.

Thanks, RA. I think I won't worry about stroke. I hope to improve on day's debut performance but I think it'll be breast stroke at Balerno. And the Charmer looks great! If you got any kind of decent weather at all, you'd have such lovely views. Errr....The contour lines are pretty close together...looool..but you'll have calves-of-steel at the end. Doean't seem insane to me imageDefinitely do it! * I'm going to Paris..and I'm taking my cossie.I'm working my way through all the municipal pools and will run v.early mornings.*

PSC, Well done! The photos are great  and you seemed to have enjoyed the whole thing...apart from the stomach bit. I hope you've recovered. Are you going to IMCH?

• Options

ATM, well done on the 25m! Sounds like you really wanted it.

It's good you can now swim F/C as I'm not feeling particularly charitable towards old ladies at the moment. Whenever I do a morning swim at my local pool, like yesterday, there's always a brigade of old-ish ladies going up and down the fast lane, even when the medium lane is quiet, at rather moderate speed, who can be rather awkward to pass when needed. Sorry, rant over.

PSC - Great tri, great photos.  

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Thanks , Pet. Yep, we old ladies can be pests...image * I get out of the lane when a ' real' swimmer arrives...I know my place. image * But catch me in an off moment and you'll hear my ' Public swimming pool/public transport...What does ' public' mean? It mean we have to share ...So how do we balance your aggressive ploughing up the pool/ipod at full volume with me having a go at an uninterupted swim/having a conversation , ( + 'young man/young lady.'..if ready for a fight...) etc etc...' Olympic -Distance rant. Ach, it's great being an old lady, sometimes.
  • Options

Thanks folks. So many threads, can't keep up. Yep, its was a blast! IMCH next year then. Also doing cut at the end of this season. Can't resist a party! image

Its great to read that races are being entered. Go for it. For anyone worrying about BS rather than FC. Don't. Loads do breaststroke and some are faster at it than the crawlers! Not so good if you are going long as it twists the knees, but fine over 400m. image

Keep on grinning peeps!

Nite!