Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options
    RA I have mtb type clipless pedals for my hybrid (they are very easy to get in and out of being dual sided) and it really is a good way to get used to them.  They do give you the opportunity to use the whole of the pedalling stroke to get some power behind you
  • Options

*boggles at list of clipless pedals image*  i knew there were lots of makes, but that many?!!

soo...which would people recommend for a numpty cyclist? i've got a road bike but its got toe clip pedals at the moment which i'm using without the strap thingies in the hope that it might make me less likely to end up in a hedge!  but think i should upgrade to clipless in the not too distant future.

done a run today, looks like summer might have arrived tho, it was boiling out there!

RA - seems like the consensus from people is that its worth getting the clipless even if you don't have a road bike, at least then you can get used to them on a bike that you're used to? and i don't know whether you could change them onto a road bike if/when you get one to save you having to get 2 pairs?

• Options
    I have these on my hybrid
    http://213.121.209.233/retailer_images/jejamescycles/prod_thu_6862.jpg

and these on my road bike

http://213.121.209.233/retailer_images/jejamescycles/prod_thu_31824.jpg

soon to be replaced by these  but in blue to match my bike image
    http://213.121.209.233/retailer_images/jejamescycles/prod_thu_24223.jpg

• Options

Stripes - I use Keo classics and they are fine. 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/75/13079.jpg

Just put them on the loosest setting while you get used to them.

• Options

Hmm  - lots of stuff to think about.............. thanks for the book ideas.

Rusty A - I had clipless pedals on my hybrid for a few months before putting them on my road bike (as well) - so I got used to clipless pedals and the new bike separately before putting the two together. Other than comedy moments falling off when stationary I've never had a problem. Hopefully these won't turn out to be famous last words...... image

• Options
    only real traifletes fall off image (normally when stationary and in a very public place)!!
  • Options
    my first clipped in dismount was in a pub car park image
  • Options
    I fell off again on Friday - in a very public place (on a main road - on the cycle path)- stationary waiting for a gap to join the traffic!!    Have a nice graze on my right leg to prove it too image
  • Options

I fell off at the seaside once, in front of a group of teens - they thought it was hilarious til I started laughing too and spoilt all their fun! image

• Options

Thanks for the pedal advice people image

Look forward to my first attempt with them! image

• Options
    I think it is a bit like riding a horse!  Apparently you are not competent unless you have fallen off at least 7 times! image
  • Options
    SEVEN - Oh my God!  Got 4 to go then image
  • Options

I think I am nearly there now image 

2 in 10 days for me!

• Options

I've fallen off more than 7 times times I'm sure of it and I'm still not competent...

>waves at Rio< are you back hun?  I didn't know you were getting Speedplays too.  image

Four and a half hours bike done and dusted. >polishes halo< image  And then the truth sinks in that I have tio do almost twice that at some stage...  I'm not sure I could run now if I had to... image

• Options

I did say at least!! lol

Hi Nam - yes I am back.   The speedplays were on offer - an ex demo set for £59 - so will give them a go as I am fed up of not being able to clip into the Look pedals.

I could have done with coming with you on the bike ride - I haven't done a ride that long yet - but think Seren, Hope and I will be doing about that long on Wednesday - which I will then have to follow later with a run so it will be a double session if not quite a brick!   Well done on your ride though.  4 hours seems such a long time!

• Options
    It wasn't intended to be that long but i got massively lost.  I can't do anything that long in the week due to that small problem called a 'job'...  Have you still got annual leave?  You have FB mail.  image
  • Options

A great way to extend a ride!  I do the same on my runs sometimes!  lol  And will no doubt do the same when I venture out for any ride other than to work and back!

Still on leave for this week too which is good.

• Options
    Good Grief Nam - that's a huuuuuuuge ride. You picked a fantastic day for it though. Well done you and I hope you're not too saddle sore! (How far did you mean to go?) image
  • Options

Hi All

Rusty A - know how u feel I was helping out at the beaver fest this weekend setting up, marshalling and taking it all down again, there was a 10k, and olympic tri and a half ironman. It was hard work but great fun and definitely inspired me to go for an OW tri next year

Got a half marathon on Sunday in MK, then training for next sprint tri in september, clipless pedals next on my shopping list too

• Options

Hi all,

I have a quick question for you.

I'm planning on my first tri in 10 weeks time, but currently having a bit of a problem with the bike.

Running's fine (I'm training for a marathon in October).

Swimming's improving a lot (and really enjoying it now that the technique's improving a little)

But the cycling... I just seem to have a mental block on road cycling at the moment (just not comfortable in traffic, to be honest).

So my question is, can I do most of my bike training in the gym, and at the same time try to get over my fear of the road, by just a bit of gentle road cycling on quiet sunday mornings?

Would this work, or should I be doing all/most of my bike training on the road?

Any thoughts/experiences?   Thanks 

• Options

get off the main roads mate.  Once you are on the back lanes, particularly if you cycle early in the monring you will find very little traffic.  Moreover, it is not noisy and you won't get blasted with exhaust fumes......

Once you get to racing, the roads should be pretty quiet too.

• Options
    Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Good Grief Nam - that's a huuuuuuuge ride. You picked a fantastic day for it though. Well done you and I hope you're not too saddle sore! (How far did you mean to go?) image

I had aimed for about three hours Waff...  image

Ran out of fluids and had to beg an old lady who was cutting her roses to fill up my bottle...

Saddle sore...  feel ok at the moment... ask me again tomorrow...  image

• Options

Stevie,

I still don't like being clipped in in heavy traffic, so I'm doing my commute on my MTB with flat pedals on.  I forced myself to cope with traffic, and I think it's improved my road sense and awareness quite a bit.

My long bike rides I do on the road bike but Sundays it's really quiet.  I generally head out of the city and onto the country roads.  The can be quite fast moving but people tend to give you a wide birth...  usually... 

• Options

Evening all

Sounds like an adventurous day Nam! 

Re clipless pedals -  I have double-sided SPD combination pedals used with MTB shimano shoes on my hybrid, which definitely gives a bit of extra oomph though being able to push as well as pull.

I have been experimenting with Looks on my road bike but have found it quite scary, not so much clipping in and out, but the inability cycle along unclipped with feet at the ready to put down  in heavy traffic through town - I can do this with the combinations but not with the Looks as feet just slip straight off the pedal.

With that in mind, for today's Blackpool-Manchester ride I put SPD combination pedals on the road bike and used them with my hard road-type shoes. Boy was I grateful for that - jostling with a few thousand other cyclists, traffic lights etc - there were quite a few occasions I was glad I was not clipped in! Maybe a numpty solution but feels a lot safer and no less oomph when clipped in than with the Looks.

Man-Blackpool was a lovely day, easy riding, lots of lovely tea stops. Not exactly fast though (we calculated 60 miles in 5 hours actual riding!). But there were a lot of traffic lights. May have actually consumed more calories than expended.

Quote overheard at a refreshment stop "Have you got any sandwiches?" Answer: "We've only got pies, love. You're in Wigan now, you know." 

• Options

Stevie,

You sound exactly like me a few months back - cycling was my complete nemesis! A couple of things that have helped me are:

Going out with the local CTC (cycle touring club) group. They take things pretty slowly but you get to know the quieter roads and paths and when you are in a group you don't have to work out a route, you just follow the person in front, and it takes your mind off those scary car things!

Finding out from the local tri-club where they do their time trials and using that route as practice. It was a quiet set of roads but you could get up some speed on them (especially on a Sunday morning) that gave me my first "weeeeeeeeee - I'm a real cyclist" moment!

Going out early on a Sunday morning and doing the actual route I would be doing during the triathlon - ok it took me over an hour to get there in the car but was well worth it for peace of mind.

The one thing that didn't help was going out with a cyclist friend - I'm sure he meant well but it scared the cr@p out of me!!!

Try and get out of the gym if at all possible (and if I can anyone can) - you *will* get over your phobia - honest! Good luck!

• Options

Sluggie I have found Looks the same too.  Very slippy at times (as are the cleats when you need to walk on them or putting your feet down as I have found to my cost) so I am changing them for Speedplays.  I have SPD mtb pedals on my hybrid that I use for commute.

Stevie it is a bit like doing all your run training on the treadmill.  It is a different feel on the roads and you need to get used to cycling in all weathers and raod conditions too.
    It can be done but is not recommended

• Options
    Gotcha....  so what's your view of updating the local Abercymfaraway Echo on your IM training updates Rio?  image
  • Options

I think they are sick of my exploits Nam.  I didn't get a mention this year for the FLM which was the first time in 5 years!! lol

• Options
    If you do something for charity fair enough, but I think RW is a big enough platform to drive people insane with endless training diaries and exploits as it is....  image
  • Options

I agree image

Seren and I are well known enough for our running in the village anyway and if we train in our pirate gear I reckon the whole of the area will know who we are if they didnt before!