Options

Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• Options

Merry Christmas , micknphil   imageimage  , hope santa brings you some good stuff .

Go on boys !

• Options
    Hi Mick n Phil.  Came over to here to see what you've been up to over Christmas and if you are racing this weekend.  Hope you are all reasonably well and raring to go. 
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Hi Mick 'n' Phil. Fantastic to see you at Buntingford again. Looks like you both had an enjoyable race and I know you just being there lifts everyone's spirits up a couple of notches. Hope you have a great year ahead.
  • Options

Buntingford 10 miler ( Gently Run - Not Raced in 1.37 )

What a perfect day to end the year ahh -

I knew full well that to make today easy, it would be all about mind games and being relaxed and positive and not involving physical strategy

Was up at 5.15, to get ready quietly, left home at 6 am, knowing it was a good 2 hour journey which ever way we went, it’s an awkward place to get to

We drove into the crack of daylight, how beautiful the sky was, - So, as usual arrived early, got things together, I just knew it was simply perfect for running

Put wheelchair together, gave Phillip his medication, then we quietly had our breakfast - and coffee, all of that was peaceful as we were parked at the back of the HQ,

Got our wheelchair nibbles bag together, etc, so everything was ready - then we set about in a warm changing area changing Phillip - getting him nice and snug-

Then we went for a relaxing walk, just watching people arrive and chatting to others

Then I set about preparing myself- I had no intentions today of wearing my watch, this was just going to be a enjoyable, relaxing, almost effortless run- checking the time only when we finished by the race clock

I myself got changed, and when ready - then I relaxed for a little while, - still keeping myself well hydrated -

Race time came, off we set, - where I would normally take the first mile steady and then as bigger gaps appeared, gradually open up the pace and move though the field gently - the push the pace after 2, 3 and 4 miles -

Not today, that was never the plan, I wanted to remember what the tranquil countryside on a cold refreshing day was like - I set off very gently and pretty much stayed at an easy pace, totally relaxed, very comfortable, physiologically felt really good, the miles unfolded, and we came to the only real long drag in the race, and it felt simply easy , very little effort involved, talking to people who were just really not used to running distance races -

I felt really good , thinking if only it was a HM, knowing it would be sadly over soon, sooner rather than later -

Over the course of the event we met several people - including - HOD - ReikiRabbit - Brooks the Beast - Richard W- , and some I just don’t know, but had spoken to before

Well, that’s 2008 races over, it was the perfect end to another year - there really could not have been a more perfect day than today

Though the road race calendar just continues on for us, It was still a day that can be etched in my mind for ever, something to cherish when things aren’t looking or going so good

• Options

What I hope to gain from 2009

I only really ask that I can stay healthy and fit - physically and physcologically and mentally strong

I would be most happy with that

I expect to be able to take part in as many events as we can - say 4 marathons - and hopefully loads of HM’s

10k races will only really be used as evening events or double up events

Considering the fact that I ( Mick ) will be going on 51 - and Phillip 21, and the wheelchair fully laden 11 stone

I do NOT realistically expect to be getting any pb’s - if at any point during a race a pb is possibly on, I may go for them, but will not be travelling to an event in search of one

I fully intend just to run a bit more as opposed to keep chasing the time on my watch

I am really not interested whether it be called a plod, jog or run - what matters to me, is that we take part and enjoy

There can be much joy sought from running and keeping fit- but it can only be attained through continuous training - and self belief and a positive mind -

I have proved time and time again that the our best races are not always the fastest that we run

And I am going to try and get a little weekly training sessions in on my own - a little ME time

• Options

Running as it should be

Today we ran the Gloucester undulating 10 miler - Effortlessly ( in 1.29 )

The day was bright and crisp - though the fields and hedges and trees were a picture post card of ice and frost

Last year was the same - except the road were treacherously slippery - which left me concentrating on the road

Not today - the roads were perfect - - so we set off - keeping any eye on my watch for about 5 miles, but only looking for curiosity sake - then no more looking until we finished

The air was cool and crisp - the sky was dull, the field and hedges as I said were frozen - what a picture it was - what a pleasure to be out doing something I could savour

The miles ticked away - ( too quick for my liking ) the first in around 9.30 ish - we chatted and laughed with fellow runners- not even I could believe just how relaxed I was -

I hadn’t felt so good in a long time - but that’s what happens for taking the early miles steady and quiet-

I felt untouchable - I felt strong both physically and psychologically and mentally - so relaxed I just didn’t notice anything - it was a total effortless run in 1 hour 29 mins

Again, I was just so sad it was all over - HM or 15 miles today would have been a cruise - but I knew there were quite a few behind us - so as soon as we crossed the line - we turned around took Phillip’s number off - put my jacket on and doubled back to support others until we met the last runner who was a women in her 70’s who we’d run with many times

We met the last runner at about 8.5 miles and came back in with her - very sadly then it was all over

All I heard all morning was - lovely picture in RW Mick - which I knew nothing about until I got home and looked

So another race over - it was our 303 rd together and our fastest 10 miler for some time - odd thing is about it - we never at any point pushed the pace to race- we just kept it tranquil and fun - and mentally relaxing

• Options

Cold and savoury

Tonight we got our bladdy sad backsides out of the house and went to the cold dark track for an hour -

We ran in the dark for the first 20 minutes until the club appeared

It was Cold - breezy- tranquil - though we were quite warm in a funny kind of way

Did us the world of good psychologically - round and round the track for an hour

It was simply purely cool man - just didn’t notice it at all

• Options
    Great time at Gloucester! Well done.
  • Options
    Thanks for the that track scene . Beautiful .
  • Options
    To get my training blog up to date

Tuesday morning I did SOLO 2 hours speed walking and jogging - slipped down once or twice - it was very refreshing

Wednesday morning I did SOLO a quiet 90 minutes of speed walking and jogging -

Wednesday evening I went to the club - I ran with mainly experienced runners for about 60 minutes it was good, but I couldn’t settle very much, it was just one of those sessions were it was training and that was it

Thursday - I did SOLO 2 Hours training speed walking and jogging - once again it was refreshing and peaceful

And today Friday - I went out this afternoon for about 90 minutes for a gentle walking and jogging session - just to keep the training on form really - no distance involved

This speed walking and jogging I do is NOT based on physical pace at all, - It’s all physiological stuff really - battling my own demons if u like- it’s just getting out there and keeping the training going basically - it’s not about any distance

This sometimes is the way it goes, nothing savoury from it all - just basic training keep the motivation going - keeping that VITAL physiological stamina and thinking alert

I real peoples posts about - when people shout things at them etc- and how they feel - “ are they nutters and mad “etc -

Well. I don’t see it like any of that - I ignore anyone everything almost and do my own thing - I am proud of what I do , it keeps me in pretty much physically and psychologically and mentally strong , and that’s really all that matters

If anyone wants to laugh at me - that’s fine - they are the losers

• Options

Not the Roman 9 ( 12k ) Lap one in 1:20 - and main race in 1: 13

Sunday 18 January - conditions for running were just so very perfect -

It was a local event for us - just 3 miles from home - and still almost over slept

Didn’t do much in the way of race as such, as we have Gloucester FM next weekend

But today we set of on our own at 9:10 am and ran the 12k route - perfectly peacefully in around 1:20

Then came the main race where we clocked about 1:13

Our running itself wasn’t so much physical effort - it was based mainly on relaxed psychological tactics

It all made quite a fabulas day overall

It was great meeting people-

Kitten Kat - Yeti - Claire - and many other - who I just cannot think of the names

I am very much a family man - and just love seeing children happy- SO, for me the main highlight of my day was seeing Claire run pushing Baby Oliver in his Buggy- and meeting him afterwards

May they continue to have many , many happy hours of fun together

• Options

Nice and quiet

Tonight I ran SOLO with the club - we ran about 9 miles in 72 minutes -

It was fun, it was peaceful - we stopped and re- grouped every so often - we chatted most of the way, we laughed - it was indeed a night of enjoyable relaxing fun -

There was at no time any pressure applied or real pace injected -

I didn’t want too much or too quick as I want to be relaxed and prepared for this weekend’s Gloucester marathon

It was indeed an evening to remember

• Options
    club run
    tonights club run was about 7 miles in a steady 50 miutes

nothing special about it - it was just a run

but, i am glad that i did finally go
  • Options
    Gloucester Marathon & Watford HM
    Sunday 25 January we ran the tough severely undulating Gloucester marathon in 4:56

it was out, 3 laps and back - I knew i had to concentrate on phscycology rather than physical - the first 2 laps went well, almost unnoticed as it where - but as the hills on the third lap went - it took it's toll - i knew we could finish but at the last hill at 22- 23 miles i felt fatigued and sore

though the last flat 2 miles was'nt bad - i spent most of last week wondering whether there's another marathon in me - then i thought - hang on - i'm pushing 11 stone of wheelchair - i should be proud - it was our 32 nd FM

Sunday 1 February

Watford HM our 176 th HM i think
    it was a cold breezy day - but most perfect in every way you could imagine

Our Watford course best is 1.56- but never went looking for any of that - only to run , chat, laugh , have fun and just concentrate on my physcology - we finshed happily in 2:12

were happy - i'm relaxed and feeling good
  • Options

Bramley 20 miler in 3:15

What a super fabulas day we have had -

Running the Bramley 20 - consisting of 2 x 10 mile laps - 3 little hills in each lap - nothing to be concerned about -

the first lap clocking 1.29 - which is nice and busy which we ran with the 10 miler runners - having much laughter and fun with people - it was real good , but then we moved onto the second lap, knocking off the miles one at a time - I had decided by then , mainly as we have a FM next week, to just run gently and not go pushing any pace looking to try and crack our course record of 2:58

The second half was run with much of Tiptoes humour surrounding us - what a super gentleman he is , trying to focus on running and not laughing at him

Throughout the whole race, the countryside was fantastic, just perfect for running

A big thank you to EVERYONE concerned in the organisation of the event - and many thanks for the friendship and courtesy of those that we met

A race to remember - a day to remember - that’s 306 races for us now - could maybe have gone on to 26.2 miles if that was a choice, not really sure - as I was never in trouble at any time,

Still very much loving what we do - much left yet I say to myself

• Options

The power of running

I’ve been feeling low and subdued for 3 days since Bramley 20 run, - just problems at home

I wasn’t going to go to the club tonight - I was going to just give in and wait until Sundays run

But I finally relented, and went and ran a quiet 54 mins with a small group - didn’t want to go too far or push things as we have a marathon on Sunday

A hot shower after and I felt a different person

Call it The power of running, call it what you want

• Options

Well done Mick,

I like the idea of the jog and walk never thought about that other than for beginers.I never run 2 consecutive days because of previous injuries but the jog walk would be a option.

• Options

Mick: a quick catch up with you:

Sorry not to have held a conversation at my mile 23 of Glos Mara. The tank was on empty yet the foot was still down. You were at 16 and looking like you were working hard then. It's a testy course isn't it?

Will you be back for the 20 miler at the same venue? Maybe I'll have some training miles in for that one.

I hope that the sun is shining on your little corner of olde England. See the birdies and smile.

• Options

Ready now for a gruelling run

last nights club run kicked my arse into gear for this weekends Draycote FM- it will be our 33rd FM together if i can notch it up

Oh, i ain't bothered, i'm totally relaxed, positive - feeling good

i'll deal with it when the gun goes - no fear

but the point is after Bramley 20 in 3.15 on Sunday - life back home took it's toll Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so the evening club run, blew away the cobwebs, cleared my head beautifully

• Options
    So proud after today

Draycote Water Marathon in 4:49 - Our 33rd Together

We arrived at Draycote for around 7am, so as we could prepare quietly without any rush

The first thing we noticed was the air was almost still - but by race time a huge gale had blown up

I went to Draycote knowing I’d done it all before, but was just nice and confident and relaxed
    I’m never complacent over the marathon distance -

We met many people mainly Fetches - but not all -
    So, the race set off, I thought here we go, along the bottom walk, waving to the 35 milers going in the opposite direction - then we turned to follow them onto the top walk - and then I noticed a breeze, we carried on to the other part of the lake, along the top walk, where it was a GALE - seeing the others come towards us on the bottom road, we waved shouted support and cheered

Then we came off the top walk and followed the other back onto the bottom road, cheering the others once again who were now back on the top road, heading for a straight run around the lake - we turned and followed them heading now ourselves straight around the lake having done the extra bit

The gale made it HARD work, and I mean HARD work - from being there in confident relaxed mood , I lost it all, mentally and physically, I don’t think we’d run 2 miles - at that time I said to myself - a couple of laps but NO FM today

I already was giving myself a ruddy good talking to - we arrived at the sheltered tree lined undulating part of the course, it was warm and quiet, but I knew that if we continued there were 4 more laps - including the GALE part - I was anxious, nervous, - not interested

So, came the end of lap 1, I prepared for the top walk and the gale, onto lap 2 now, we hit the GALE again in 1:20 and I thought come on Mick, this ain’t you
  • Options
    Then things changed, I started to settle, through the sheltered are, over the undulations, I thought, were ok, we’ve had worse, but can’t quit - so I was feeling better now, bit more relaxed, and moving gently, end of lap 2 came, I thought, come on Mick, 2 down 3 to go - you’ve got all day - forget the time , onwards through the GALE again, reaching the far sheltered side, I drank plenty- fluid was VITAL, then all of a sudden I felt in charge, I felt we were coming through this - oh a long way to go , anything could go wrong still - but lets be positive

THEN, end of lap 3 - about 2:56 or so, leaving 2 to go, I thought - now come on, I felt proud, tearful, gob smacked, you name it-
    Along the top walk through the gale and get to the undulated shelter, I was now in control and enjoying what I do best - I though I ain’t come all this way to give in now-
    Then came end of lap 4 - this was it, thought nice and gently, bit at a time, lets brake this down, lets go through the gale first - and we did- NEVER could I have envisaged seeing lap 5 today - so, back along the top walk in the GALE , but this was the last time, we were on the way home, we’d done the hard bit, lets cruise home, NO walking - then into the sheltered area, I just kept plugging away 3 miles to go, We’d done it - I felt great, in charge , on top of the world- I felt proud - as we came out of the sheltered bit onto the last top walk, I could see the finish, -

How the hell did we get this far, I was delighted, pretty tired but relaxed, finishing in 4:49 - our 33rd FM together
    I just could believe what I’d done to be honest - I kept a cool head, stayed positive as I could

I was beaming in delight, the pain that I may have had disappeared -

Talk about walk tall and proud, we’d NOT given in - we turned a real bad start with no chance of finishing into a WINNER

So many thanks to all who supported us today
  • Options
    last night Wednesday

i went Solo to our club and took out 9 newish runners - runners that at most had only done around 6-7 miles ever- one had done 2 HM's - but admitted she was still unsure of the distance

I said right - this is your session, i'm just here as a coach or guide in the dark to see ure all ok - it's at your comfortable pace, there's no rush

then came endless questions for over an hour - around 6 1/2 miles in 1:09 to be exact

But i felt proud helping, supporting and advising them

they talked about distance, fluid, nutrician - when to /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('taper');]taper before a race - how to cope with a FM etc etc

i was quite shocked when returning to the club, in front of expereinced runners they thanked me - and carried on jabbering to me about things

it made me happy to help them
  • Options

Fabulas weekend of running

My weekend started with rising at 2am on Saturday morning to go and do my Comic relief bit for my club - The club arranged a 24 hour treadmill event - people doing stints of 30 minutes or 1 hour - I opted for 1 hour -( 3 - 4 am ) I opted for that time, so as my wife and son where safe and asleep - and I wasn’t taking up any of my wife’s precious free time ( she does‘nt have much free time ) - I sweated like merry hell - it felt like the old days - I then returned to bed for a sleep

Then came Sunday - Trimpel 20 in 2:58 ( equaling our 20 miles best )

Away at 5.30 am for the Lancashire & Morecambe ( Trimpell 20 miler ) 2 hours 40 drive up there and 3hour 10 drive back

I was told the Trimpell 20 miler was all on cycle paths ( ALL tarmaced ) mostly along the river Lune- good as flat and traffic free almost - I really wanted something different- so I went with the mind of

“ expect the unexpected “ - but there was no need for any worries - on this occasion the description was simply and purely bang on

We met a lot of people - RW Forumites - and Fetches - all of whom really made our day - all fellow runners were friendly and smiles and laughing - thanks to all of u

The run itself, we clocked and equalled our 20 miles pb of 2:58 - I was chuffed I can tell u - the course was superb in every way - marshals, support, directions, drinks - the atmosphere as super as well - seeing the front runners coming back at u and then turning and seeing who we’d passed - and cheering everyone on

Most of the course and along the river was pure picturesque - conditions were so perfect -

I can only assume the organisers have gone to great lengths to make this event different but spot on - and it IS spot on -

A most perfect day for us - one that I’ll treasure for a long time to come

If EVER anyone wants to do something different a 20 miler traffic free OFF road - ( if u like ) go and run the Trimpell 20 - it’s pure magic

Thank you to everyone involved in making the Trimpell 20 happen

• Options
    HI micknphil,iv being going to email you for weeks now,iv just come across this forum,iv got to tell you how impressed i am with your runs with phil,i thought i was doing great to get my 16month out and about you really spurred me on,i wanted to ask you does phil ever get restless on some runs and if so how do you work with him to finish the run,iv found my fella loves the runs we do but an odd time he would get a bit restless,i run about 5miles with him but would love to lenghten this .image
  • Options
    Went solo to the club last night-

had an hour run with 10 or so newbies - they asked lots of questions on the difference between a HM and a FM

one or two have done toughish undulating rural 20 milers in preperation for /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('FLM');]FLM - i said well -

to my mind - if you can run a toughish 20 rural miler - than you'll be in good stead to cope with London

the run it's self was obviously slow - but a good training session - very enjoyable

i am now ready for toughish Ashby 20 this weeke
  • Options

Lillian

can u e mail me please

• Options

How we cruised Reading HM

Reading Half Marathon in 1:59 ( a day to be proud of )

Boy was it fun, was it congested, going from the back - and still clocked 1:59 - I still cannot believe it myself

I really did believe from the off we were looking at around 2:15 - 2:30

For weeks I have debated in my mind about today - as to go off with the wheelchairs and get a clear run - or go from the back -

I made up my mind a few days ago finally to go from the back - a lot of this was about psychological tactics - and it paid off - in other words- just for once - we wanted to be part of the party - but also wanted a good time as well - what a balancing act when you cannot move

I was also fully aware that if in my slip streaming along if I hit anyone it could have major implications -

We had real fun, tried to keep a laughter to a minimum as it can use up lots of energy - and I was fully intent on giving the last bit from the town absolute hell - I know the last bits are a long drag- so it’s then down to who wants it the most- and I was ready and waiting - it wasn’t going to beat us

I feel real proud about today I can tell you - the 13 miles itself we cruised it quite clinically and methodically - never in any trouble at any time - to an extent just didn’t notice it go

I’m Even more proud for the fact that pushing the wheelchair in that crowd, I never ever got any natural pace or stride going- having to stop and start for people right the way through- which took it’s toll on my calf’s and thigh’s - but I just pounded on - I was in charge, I was loving it - I was so relaxed, just ticked the miles off

It was just great seeing people, to an extent talking to people, laughing with people, chanting EASY - EASY- EASY , for the first half, but then I wanted really to concentrate on pushing the pace where I could and if possible breaking sub 2 -which we did -

So, for us Reading still rates as a firm favourite as a party HM, good crowd support -

So that was our 178th HM together - I am really just so pleased about it- I will sleep on that tonight

Too all those who said hello today or chatted, may thanks - I myself don’t get much training in - but for those who are not yet that fit, if only you get in 20 minutes every other day - it will improve your lifestyle no end -

• Options
    After having 10 days off from running- including missing a race - the Ashby 20 - ( ok, we spectated - ( but that's not running )

I was feeling subdued what with migraine and head cold, temple pain etc- my head felt like it was in a vice

so, then with NO build back up to it - i get straight back into it with Reading HM - i have proved if only to my self that i can still do it all

That i master it - it's does'nt beat me

that means a lot to me- a hell of a lot - i'm weeks sort of 51 now - and Phillip he's 20+ and damned heavy

i have been thinking today - had it have been a race were i could have got my natural pace and rythem all the way - we'd have smashed 1:50

so for a while at least i am back to what i do best

so this week it's tough and testing Oakley rural 20 - won't be looking for anything special - just an average enjoyable run

pain is only temporary -

i will once again go expecting the unexpected