Comments

• Options
    oohh, what happened there
  • Options
    Nothing to say really -

only Rugby 6 tonight
  • Options
    Last night we effortlessly cruised the undulating Rugby 6 in 54 minutes

It was as if it was over no sooner than when it started - i don't know quite what happened

I did'nt race it at all, as we have our 35th FM this sunday
  • Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    Good luck this weekend, hope you enjoy it!
  • Options

Hi all

hope you are all happy, healthy ,fit and well

We Have Wokingham HM  on 24 th May

this will be our 183 rd HM together - but first we have the little matter of our 35 th FM this weekend to deal with

then we'll come and play at Wokingham - plod, run or race, i don't know - i'll think about it after the starter gun goes off - either way the first mile will be quiet -  to settle in - won't be able to move anyway , for the congestion, but that 's  good

then miles 2 & 3 slightly moving getting a feel on how i feel on the day -  on until mile 4 - choosing what to do

Pace wise well -

2:10 will be plod and play pace

2:00 would be a quiet reasonable run -  no real effort

sub 1:50 would be pushing the physcological barrier - which takes experience - this isn't about physcial fitness, it's based on mental stamina

OUR HM pb is 1:43 - but NOT at Wokingham  

so, i'll see on the day - i won't even think about it

good luck to you all

Mick  

• Options

The day I got so wrong LMAO

First -

Congratulations to Plodding Hippo on her 100 marathons- what an achievement - and how we do wish her so many more

Secondly -

The Brathay 10 in 10 Challengers

Many congratulations to those runners who had a go at or completed this Massive challenge

And onto us -

And How we messed up big time

The Gloucester - Boddington ultra - 2.2 mile loops - we went looking for a marathon,

It should have been quite straight forward as it where- after the first lap you know what to expect, plus we’ve been there before and done 18 miles - really - as it’s practically a flat course in a picturesque

But the wind was there and it got wet, and wetter, then shone for a bit, then got wetter and wetter, Phillip was nicely wrapped up, but because of such a long run, I put his water proof poncho over him, which made everything harder

I changed twice on route, once to strip down to my vest to cool down, but after a bit I felt cold so wrapped back up - whilst all this was happening , I was slowing, losing interest and basically messing it all up big time, I drank ok, and fed Phillip on route, but had no appetite to eat myself

I became more and more frustrated, I could not settle at all, physically or mentally- and trying to adjust and master it psychologically - well that became a joke

And to be honest that’s what in the end when I called it a day after 6 laps = 13 miles, ( in 2:18 ) I found it quite amusing - and thought, what the hell, there’s always another day, another race - lets get changed and warm, and cheer the others on

The event itself was perfect, or so I thought

I have NO excuses - it was just never on , on the day

You could say - even the most experienced runners can mess it all up

• Options
    We'll try again

After a disasterous FM last weekend, we'll try and put together a reasonable 184 th HM on sunday

Think i can just manage that - don't you ??
  • Options
    Wokingham HOTTISH HM in 1:56 ( our 184th HM together )

Today was simply a fantastic day - so perfectly beautiful for running -But also became VERY warm - but of course it was all judged on controlled pace and total HY- DRATION - sipping water regularly

We played for a few miles as we were in NO rush , meeting , chatting and laughing with people on route- then started to control the pace after 5 miles - but all the way people were wilting

To be honest I was a bit disappointed, as it all went pretty quickly to be honest - it was over before I really knew it- the miles ticked by and I just thought, this is getting nearer to the end

So we clocked a comfortable 1:56 - it got a little warm at times, but kept it all in perspective and I made sure I was always in control

I was very saddened to see to my knowledge and count 3 people on route needing first aid - one looked quite serious - I wish them all a speedy recovery

We actually spent time on route giving some support ( OR trying to give encouragement ) to people on route who looked distressed but still moving - offering support and drinks from our bottles

I know from great experience that when one has ( lost the plot - if you like ) there’s rarely a way back, so rather than worry about our time I wanted to offer that support

We trust and hope all of you have had a good day and run
  • Options
    Stratford Summer six Saturday evening & Princess Risborough 10k Sunday morning

PR 10k What a fantastic event this is - start and finish in the same place, residential leading to a few undulating kilometeres of perfect rural countryside - second haf slighly down hill and flatter

with a little climb to the finish

we clocked 59 minutes, which i was pleased with after our 53 Minute Summer Six race last night

so, for anyone wanting a short friendly race, or perhaps a race in between events as it was for us - this is the one

very friendly, 2 water stations, wonderful views of the countryside

if there's ever a gap in our diary, we'll be back
  • Options
    Mick n' Phil, your still inspirational! ximage
  • Options

Wellington TOUGH 10 Miler in 1:55

What a fabulas testing run - The Wellington 10k & 10 mile road race,

Only we as usual opted for the 10 miles, why ?? I cannot imagine, it’s hilly and tough as old boots, lovely and rural rolling countryside

But I wasn’t have no 10k - so the 10 miles was the ideal option, I knew this course was going to be tough- The first and last bits were the same as the 10k, but after that it got HILLIER- thirsty work, oh the 10k bit was hilly believe me,

It was only a small event in comparison to some, but it was simply perfect, well organised, spot on I’d say

Very friendly atmosphere, parking start and finish, toilets , changing & showers all within

It was one of those runs were if you can do that, it make the others look easy

An event that I’d recommend to anyone for a special day out - but beware of the HILLS

• Options
    Mick n Phil Today became ( Granddad and Uncle for a 3rd Time )

Hi Folks

What a mixed day it’s been , my middle son whom I’ve told some of you about, with his partner this morning became parents for the first time to a lovely 6lb baby girl

He made me laugh and cry, - I had to laugh over the phone when he said,

“ Dad, I’ve only been holding her for 2 hours and my arms ache “

I laughed, I said you silly bugga, she’s only 6lb in weight

What a day to remember ahh

Though on a day when my wife is on new medication and feeling drowsy and unwell

Me, I think I’m feeling numb /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('LOL');]LOL
  • Options
    Awwww  congratulations Mick and Phil and Mrs Mick!
  • Options

congratulations from me too (a hogweeder) 

Are you going to do the Glos half on Sat 25th? image

• Options
    Effortless solo run tonight with the club

Toinght i ran solo with the club -

i did'nt go mad as Me and Phil have 2 races this weekend - but i was in desperate need of some me time and to relax

Even grandads need to relax /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('LOL');]LOL

about 10 of us ran about 6 miles ish - in around 57 minutes , we kept - quickly and briefly - stopping to re - group etc,

The run itself was totally effortless, just so peaceful relaxing and enjoyable

There really isn't any Words that can explain it
  • Options
    This weekend's DOUBLE is

Saturday evening Hornton Classic HILLY 6 miler - followed by quickly home - sleep - up Sunday at 5 .30 for High Wycombe HM - severly undulating - killer hill at start

should be EASY- -EASY - EASY
  • Options

Our super weekend of running

Luckily for me my levels of physical fitness and mental stamina allows me to just tick the events diary to my desire-
    Though I do push Phillip around about 5 or 6 FM’s per year - I feel that that is enough, and they are normally  day return jobs, and not overnight stays - which I do not enjoy

So I knew  that this weekend Saturday evening featured the tough but classic and hilly Hornton 6 miler, and Sunday morning High Wycombe HM
    I would not be racing the pace on either, but just running nicely and relaxed and fully enjoying what we do - taking in some fantastic surroundings

So came Saturday evening, and some rain - we actually set off 10 minutes early, so as to be able to get back home earlier - also that enabled us for a change to  be able to see the race unfold - which we enjoy when it caught us at about 2 miles -  it was just great watching the runners go by us - it made it a really good run - which we eventually clocked 65 minutes - I was well pleased

Then it was quick change, put everything away and return home, put stuff  to dry on an airing rack, restock the food bag,  off to bed and up again at 5:30 am for High Wycombe
    Met a few friend  whil’st there old and new, then we set off up the killer hill, and then settled and run nicely, at this point the ( 10k runners had split off ) so we continued just at a steady pace, thoroughly enjoying it all and clocking a very happy 2:10

Knowing that I can still do this made me well chuffed  - all the way I was happy, relaxed, feeling really good  - neither event was any problem to overcome

Next weeks double though is going to be harder
    Saturday evening is Gloucester AC’s HM - followed by Sunday morning’s MK HM

Phillip is in respite this week, so I gonna rest and deal with it all when it comes

Might still be EASY- EASY -EASY 

• Options

Our classic weekend of Back to back Half Marathons

This weekend saw us have a tremendously fun weekend, the schedule would be gruelling, and time would be tight - we have done plenty of back to back runs like this - but they were all morning jobs - with the rest of Saturday to prepare and rest etc - but not this time

First up was Saturday evening’s Gloucester Half marathon - comfortably in 2:03

it was rural and severely testing in places, The race set off at 6 PM - we found it tranquil and peaceful - gliding along nicely - with little trouble, except just finding the last couple of inclines obviously difficult

We clocked a nice 2:03 for it, I was well pleased with that - obviously I could have raced it to a good sub 2 hour run, but I knew to save some for the following morning

So, it was quickly get changed , pack stuff - including wheelchair, and away home at 20:30, 1 hour 30 approx drive home- feed Phillip, get him to bed - unpack car, change and replenish food bag,

So at about 11:30pm I got to bed, I didn’t sleep at all well,

So, Sunday morning came and Milton Keynes Half Marathon - bit toughish in 2:17

So, 5:15 am my alarm went off- it was up - bathroom, pack food , pack car - dress Phillip - and off on the 90 minute drive to Milton Keynes, I was tired - but just got on with it all - we arrived, had our cereals , gave Phillip his medication, toileted him and changed him for the run-

I then got changed and had coffee after chatting with people best I could as Phillip is demanding, so at 10:00am the race went off -

It was a good run, mostly cycle paths and pavements and underpasses with some bumpy canal walkways - very bumpy where the tree roots has lifted the tarmac-for me pushing the wheelchair it was a tough run- made tougher still after last nights run - but we finished happily in 2:17

The underpasses and especially the canal path made my back hurt

The weekend as a whole was worth it and tremendous fun - I like other times on double weekends have questioned just what is left in me running pushing Phillip

It was great meeting people old and new - a big thank you to those who said hello or and chatted

But then, I feel proud, happy, and good, I think, well, I’m sure there’s a bit left in me yet

• Options
    Wolverhampton Marathon - Our 35 th FM in 4:39

After feeling unwell yesterday - bad head, sore joints , mentally subdued, snowed under with personal problems ,I didn’t go expecting to do more than a HM, Though I did know that the HM would NOT be a problem, just a formality as such, time wasn’t a worry, but of course the FM is a totally different story in every aspect

but as the morning unfolded, seeing and chatting to friends, I just kept myself calm, relaxed and positive, I went through my normal routine of changing and preparing, I never let anything let me differ or detract me from that
    Phillip’s comfort and warmth is paramount to me - but of course I do have to look after myself

So, off we went, I would not push any pace, a comfortable 2:10 HM would suffice - but lingering in my subconscious deep would be - am I up to a FM today, and this remained with me, The FM if I were to carry on would be based on stored energy, and tactics and the want and will to survive, as my training now - a - days isn’t good

I clocked off the miles quietly, laughing and having fun, and re- assessed my physical and phsycological standing regularly

I quickly realised that I was in ok good form, I was feeling good, which was a surprise after yesterday , so I just kept cool, kept going , NO heroics - as I went along, I started to concentrate deeply on FM distance, the course has changed greatly , so I had No idea what to expect, I wasn’t even bothered

Marathons runners should be prepared and go expecting the unexpected , and for me today, as I’ve run Wolves many times my tactics paid real dividends , but my ultimate decision on switching from HM to FM would come much later around 11 miles or so

I knew that 26 miles today would ONLY come from my legs strong and my physiological stamina and strict mind structure, so I had to work on this, I knew I could handle the pain , but I didn’t want to struggle on the second lap just to say I’d done another marathon - that was NOT on my agenda, but I did have to make a decision soon, so after around 10 miles after the hill my mind was made, I was running relaxed, I felt strong, a 5 hour marathon would suffice

The HM came to an end in around 2:05, that wasn’t even on my mind, the new course didn’t bother me in the slightest, but this FM did, I wanted it badly, so onwards through 14 and 15 miles, now - I had to just run the streets and bends and junctions as I arrived at them, sore joints started, but I could handle that - I moved towards 20 miles, I was happy, really happy,

I felt a little fatigued and really sore for the first time around 20 miles, but I was fully in charge, I knew there was only 6 to go, I could handle that with NO problem
    I felt proud as I moved on running All the way through 21, 22, 23 miles, then I savoured the last bit, 24 well, I was half in tears and half laughing, came to 25 and I just chilled and jogged home,

I felt real good, tired of course, but I was so happy, i had never lost control, today would stay with me for a long time finishing in 4:39

Could’nt quite believe it myself - but I had proved to myself I can still do it

Now for Robin Hood FM next week
  • Options
    Our hard earned Robin Hood marathon in 5:02

Last week Wolverhampton FM in 4:39

This weekend Robin hood in 5:02

Well what a day yesterday was, had a super chat with people and good laugh-

They gave us a super send off behind the wheelchairs - I felt fine, I went 9:30 pace , never set off fast cos I had room to do so, then came the pack -,But this run was to be nothing like last weeks 4:39 sweeping run
    I knew just how TOUGH RH first half was, and again the first 10 was tough, but it levelled off after,
    University and park was tough as hell, just killed my back,
    But we had so much support, I was actually running crying at times - a big thanks to all those who cheered us on, patted me on the back etc

So, I was running fine, I knew last weeks marathon would take it’s toll, got through the 13 mile mark with relative ease -
    Then onto the embankment, those tree roots through the tarmac - 13 - 13.5 miles ,gosh did I feel them

Then onwards things were ok, and with my experience I see it as on the way home

So just plodded on, legs tiring, then at around 16 miles, my achillies ( my achillies have been sore for weeks now )and groin started , by 17 miles I was in total agony - I so desperately wanted to give in and say stop

By around 18 and 19 miles there just before lake, and on the lake - there were Ambulances, -marshals, and allsorts got said to me - they really were great
    Mick n Phil - good to see you again, everyone, police, St Johns, motor outriders, marshals - they all paid tribute to us
    But for anything I could have said, I’m going to call it a day and get in ambulance - but I knew if I could get around the water sport centre that would give me 21 miles and we’d be on the way home,
    When I walked I walked as fast as I could walk, when I jogged it killed me, I jogged a little, I walk fast and so no

But what with all the support, I persevered, actually I spent 2 miles thinking of the good things - and then at 21 miles it was as if I’d finished
    Off the centre along the Trent river and home, I talked to runners who were in dire trouble, I was walking faster than they were jogging - and then after 23 & 24 I was really on a high, passing the pub at 24, they sang to us

I’m just so glad I worked through that bad patch, I kept saying come on I may be in pain, but I’m not unwell or ill
    I saw 25 miles and walked and ran in grinning like a cat drinking milk

Marathon no 36 pushing Phillip was in the bag
    Half marathons are no problem, very much like a long fun run, but our marathons are feeling tougher
  • Options
    Our day at Tough & HILLY Great Langdale HM in 3:03

Sunday 20 the September saw us take on our 195th HM together, it was our 332nd race together in total

Only problem with it - ( if ever there was one ) is that it’s not flat or undulating , it’s not just a little hilly, in actual fact it’s HILLY as can be, and when there isn’t 1in 3 ascents to climb, there’s long drags, and short but steep climbs

There isn’t any flat bits, it’s either UP or DOWN, oh apart from the first mile, it’s sort of flattish

Oh we’d been there before and run it in the opposite direction, in 2:44 , 2:45, & 2:47 - but only this time I had still in my legs two marathons from two previous weeks, and before Phillip was younger and lighter and I was younger - not the old man I am now at 51

But it was a fabulas day - a day I wouldn’t have missed for anything - we prepared as normal, had a good chat and laugh with many people that we know, and met a few people that are new to us

We set off nice and quietly 10 minutes early, I was really looking forward to this event with a difference, we approached the mile and then came the ascent up the first HILL the 1in 3 , a tough little bugga, then came the main pack, even some of them were having trouble with it

We got to the top and moved on, down, up and down, it was so wonderful, so perfect, scenery just unbelievable.

I knew it would be tough and slow, but I was happy, we chatted and laughed on route with others, walkers cheered us on people in cars cheered - motor bikers and cyclists gave us a huge cheer on

I knew what it was all about, I had no fears at all, but I did know that come 9 miles I would tire after the marathons of the last two weeks
    It hurt going down more that it did going up - one mistake going down holding 11 stone of wheelchair back and you can be in deep trouble,

The long drags were sapping, but my relaxed body and mind really helped me cope with that - but at the main road crossing at Skelwith bridge , came that steep little hill, and then the long drag until we turned left and went down to 10 miles, that drained me - I really had to dig in with everything

Then came the approach to Chapel Style were I just gently went through up the rise , the long drag, then saw 11 miles, up the drag out of the village, and moved quietly towards 12 miles and the finish-

Cars were approaching us, some were people who had finished the race, they all cheered us

We finished in real proud style in 3 HOURS and 3 MINUTES, but I wasn’t bothered about that - we had finished , we had proved we could still do it - if we can conquer Great Langdale still we can conquer anything

Now I know and have proved to myself once again that I still have plenty of running left in me,

We were told in 2003 when we ran it for the first time, that we’d NEVER get around it , strange ahh, 4 times now !!
    I am just so chuffed about it I can tell you
  • Options
    Mick n Phil's 200th Half Marathon will be at ...

Hello everyone

lots of people have asked me where will our 200th Half Marathon be, and to be honest i really was'nt sure myself were or when it would be

But now i can confirm pretty much, except of course for unforseen circumstances

our 200 TH HM together will be at Stevenage on 1st November-

it will be or should be our 338 th race in total

so there we are folkes,

i am not sure what else to say really

as it'll just be another HM fun run if you like for us

kindest regards

mick
  • Options

If you have time off from doing your marathons look out for Marathon love on the bio channel,it"s about a husband and wife running the boston marathon after she was crippled in a car accident,and good luck with your running.

• Options
    Kenilworth HM in 1:58 - ( Our 197th HM together )

Today we ran well at Kenilworth, a nice steady 1:58
    it’s only a few miles from home, it’s a super event, few ups and downs , perfect countryside,

Just pushed through the miles nicely - it did me the world of good running a sub 2 hour HM after a gruelling September

I didn’t go mad, as we have Abingdon FM on October 18th, were we are pacing a newer marathon runner around , in her second FM

But next weekend’s Leicester HM, that will be a /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('taper');]taper job, it’ll be nice and steady , getting to the finish when we do - I imagine in around 2:10

That should leave me to play at Abingdon
  • Options
    Leicester HM in 2:05 ( our 198th HM together )

Nothing much to report on it really, it was a very comfortable run, never in trouble , did a lot of chatting to people and advising people on way around which really took up a lot of the miles
    All in all, It was a fun day, there was also a FM on as well, which I churned over in my mind about doing

But, I thought no, we had a gruelling September, and also Sunday 18th October we have our 37th FM , though were not racing it I am going the whole way ( I hope ) with McNewbie, it will be her second FM so I’m going to be a mentor for her and get her around , if and when it gets tough for her I will then be at hand to talk her through it properly with clinical methodical physiology

Something in my early days 20 plus years ago I never had

The key to it is a positively relaxed mind and body based on physcology
  • Options
    Mick n Phil hit the 200 HM mark at Stevenage

When I set out on my travels pushing Phillip in May 2002, the months prior to that , I’d had many discussions with people, and lots of time to consider the logistics of it all
    I was told by people who knew me, that I’d never get Phillip around a HM, or if I were to do so , it would be just the odd one and it would be hard work, people reminded me of how hard running is, and that Phillip would get heavier and grow into a fully grown man, and I’d get older
    but I was already a seasoned marathon runner from many years previous, ok , fitness and things had tapered, and I had to fine tune it all again ,but of course this was to be different, was it all possible, could it be done , week in week out, this was not going to be the odd race pushing Phillip, this was to be every week all year around

But I was soon to lay all that to rest, as we were to find a peace in life so special, one cannot describe it, after all the years in a wilderness with Phillip’s illness and mums deteriorating health we would also find ourselves on our travels conquering many 20 milers and many full marathons as well ( 37 FM’s to date )
    so we arrived to today at the 200 half marathons mark, it was to be
    at ( wet and gale force ) Stevenage we so very proudly completed our 200th HM together in 2:20

The event was superb as always, all on cycle paths and underpasses, in other words, up and down, up and down, along a bit of flat, then little climbs, but it was good, it’s nice to do something different, something where one can just forget about the clock and race pace, and just relax into what one is doing and just go along and knock off those miles and enjoy it all

The weather well, it was quite a challenge, gale force wind and rain, my real priority was making sure Phillip was warm and dry, and then had to simply adapt my mind to total self control, so as at no time would I feel in trouble and let the mental tactics do the work and just enjoy what we’d gone there to do

In the sheltered bits it was good, but there was a lot of exposed areas, and it gave me time to reminisce, over what we’d achieved through 200HM’s

How 2 years ago at Stevenage the weather was identical to today, how on our travels over 7.5 years, we’d conquered all that we’d taken on,

From the flattish HM’s in 1:43, in all conditions , heat, cold, icy rain etc, to the most gruelling of HM’s of hills and more hills, of soaring thirsty heat to like today gale force wind and rain

We’ve run Stevenage present course several times and the old course, a day like today, gives one time to reflect on things, which is what I did

The organisers presented us with a lovely glass plate to commemorate our 200Half marathons

In this game one takes what ever, with No moans or groans , just gets on with it taking the rough with the smooth, and believe me at times, there’s plenty of roughs, but it’s tolerance of mind control, conditioning the body and mind to be in control

Most people know me for the chants of easy, easy, easy, yes , when I’m running ( apart from the odd bad day ) I find it all easy, and enjoyable,

It’s life at home that is the challenge, totally mentally, breaking , nursing Phil , in between and around the community nurse and seeing to Dawn ( Phil’s mother ),

But the running is the life’s saviour in every possible way you can imagine,
  • Options
    M&P congrats on your 200th HM. That is a brilliant milestone to pass. Well done both.
  • Options

Wow Mick, 200 HMs!!  imageimage

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - you are a real inspiration.  I have challenges in my life but they are not as personal as yours and they are all of my and Mr TT's doing (we run a company which brings with it an enormous amount of stress and worry).  I have run only 5 HMs and never braved a full marathon, certainly not while pushing along a fully grown man in a chair!! 

That's a real achievement and you obviously gain a lot out of your running.  Don't ever let anyone make you stop running.  Congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your 400th!!!!

• Options

Clowne Tough - ish HM in 2:09 ( our 203rd HM together )

Today we ran Tough - ish Clowne HM in a nice Comphy 2:09, I know the course well as we’ve run it many times , with a best there of 1:57, but not today as we have Our last FM of the year next week at Luton , and I want to be ready for that , so it was taper in way of pace

We have a HM pb of 1:43, and I always think as we surge beyond 1:50 closer to 2 hours and beyond, either, it’s a tougher course, or were just not forcing the pace

Today was simply about not forcing the pace at all, I know exactly were the undulations and hills are at Clowne, and I was fully prepared physically , physcologically and mentally, but there are far tougher HM’s than Clowne, and I am a great believer that it’s all good for the stamina and fitness, and getting that body a step closer to prestine condition

The rain and damp made it nice and fresh and actually made it fun, we knocked off the miles as they came, and we simply run it like any other HM, I felt real good, and happy and relaxed

On route we came across people who were finding it tough, and I tried to gently give them some support,

The actual organisation itself was perfect, everyone was friendly and supportive, it a lovely race considering it’s all rural and not many folks about

I actually love it , the tougher for me the better a lot of the time, I like to know for myself that I still have it there to be able to take on all races regardless of flat, undulating or hilly, regardless of hot, cold or wet

So, now it’s onto Luton 3 lap FM next week, It’ll be our 38th FM together