Options

Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• Options

BOING

think you were looking for this Mick

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mick, No doubt be seeing you at Wycombe in 3 weeks...I've done the half 5 times and the 10k 2 times...am entered for the half but we'll see how hot the weather's going to be first eh!

• Options

Hey, that is SPOOKY, I was thinking about Mick only this morning while out for my run........

Hi Mick, been thinking about you recently - I've always thought you were a bit of a legend running with Phil but have recently starting running with a babyjogger with my 4 month old boy (significantly lighter than Phil must be!!) and you have gained God-like status now!!!  Don't know how you do it.

Hope you are still getting out there and notching up more races.

PS - saw you on Rosie Swale Pope's webpage, another legend!

• Options

Hi everyone

thanks for all the kind words- we do hope u are all well

keep happy ahh, just as our running makes us extremely HAPPY

Mick image

• Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you on your own thread again.  Like I said on the WAISter thread we always like to hear what you are both up to.  .
  • Options
    I have to shamefully say that i did'nt perform well at all at Mansfield HM, we got around in a sad 2:37, an almost PW, allowing for we've done worst at Great Langdale before

It was our 213 th HM together, after mile 1 i was myself gasping for fluid all the run, i felt it every inch , i always wear a cap so my head was fine

my preperation was as always,

talk about feeling hot and bothered, , but we still enjoyed it, i just turned it into a physcological training run

i was amazed at the amount of people on route and after congratulating us and saying, " How the hell did we manage to get around "

oh well, i am tired, hot and bothered tonight, but thats nout , as

Mrs Mick is not well, dosed right up in pain relief

But i did, i felt hot and bothered,
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not to worry Mick, you can't expect to perform at 100% every week, especially in the massive heat!

Getting round a half every week as a duo is top work, so continue the good work.image

• Options

hi Mick

Can i just say well done for Mansfield half yesterday. fairly early on you came past me at an amazing rate and it took me a fair while to catch up with you. You are a legend

I ran it and also got my own personal worst. The heat was over whelming. I suffered quite bad with dehydration for a couple of hours even though i took on as much fluid as possible.

hope mrs Mick is ok 

• Options

hello

can some one paste this to our blog pelase - as i cannot find it .... consider it done MIck image

when it appears again - i'll favouirte it image

Coventry's Evening summer 5 mile road race

Wednesday evening was so simply perfect in every way possible

the outer perimetter path and road at Coventry's War Memorial park is never easy either direction when running pushing a wheelchair, but we have run so many races there - it's always a pleasure to go back and train or race again

so we ran with 225 others and ran the 2 and 3/4 lap ( 5 miles ) in around 44.44

it was perfect in every way,

weather, ( Humid ), at times just a light breeze, the run itself, the fun and enjoyment of just doing what we do, and of course seeing everyone, chatting with loads of friends -

They and others we dont know made it all so worth it

• Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭
    Fantastic performance there Mick, yet again.
  • Options

Stratford Summer 6 mile road race

Last night we took part in the summer 6 mile road race, it was a lovely evening , warm with a light breeze

And good turn out as well, on an undulating course, we ran in about 54 minutes, as on route we helped and chatted to people we knew of lesser experience who were struggling a little

It was great all round,

We were due to run again today, a 10k about 1.¼ drive away, or a HM 3.5 hours drive away, but we opted to have a day at home

that’s it - up to date

• Options

Talk about a bad run …..Pewsey Half Marathon 2:21 ( our 216th )

On Sunday we ran Pewsey HM in 2.21

It was I think our 216th HM together,

we’d been to the Lake district on holiday and I’d not got a lot of running in TBH, so, From the outset I felt heavy, it felt quite a struggle at times,

There was miles of head wind to contend with, and even when we turned direction anticlockwise the wind still seemed there against you, adding to that the nature of the undulant course as it is

NO, I’m not complaining folks, it’s a super event, super venue, and a lovely course, wouldn’t have missed it for the world, we’ve ran it many times with a course best of around 1:57

But it was just one of those days, I couldn’t settle for anything, Phillip really felt top heavy,

at miles 9 - 10 I almost lost the plot altogether I must say , after a bit of flat and almost down hill, before it turned right onto another drag - but we knew the course

Though really I should say I did actually run ALL the way, I never stopped for anything, as at one point I did actually ask myself, if you cannot run this then surely FM distance is out ahh ….

And this is where the time comes when physcological thinking has to block out all negative and bring in all positive and constructive stuff - and one has to handle any niggles or aches and pains , access where they are, how bad they may be, etc etc

I do have personal matters on my mind at moment, things that are out of my control until Local authorities come to me with their answers, did any of this affect me, .. Who knows,

I’m just going to move on now, accept it as an off day, and think gently and quietly about Wolverhampton FM this weekend or do we switch to the HM

If any of you reading this think different, or have any ideas, please feel free to contact me with them

• Options

Just to let you ALL know, those who are interested that is

ALL of our race event listings when i log them, and our blogs when i log them, NOW go direct to our website as well

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Keep up the good work as always Mick.

Sat a couple of days out with a slight niggle myself this week, it just makes the next run great to be back.

If you're in any doubts about this next weekend, I'd recommend just doing the half.

But then you're made of a lot more sterner stuff than me!

• Options
    Mic

how you and Phil doing these days ran Leek half the other week in 1h42 my fastest time on the route

hoping to go to Brisbane in 2011 and might do the Gold coast marathon after my great chester marathon
  • Options
    Half Marathon only today in 2:22 …

Today we settled for the HM at Wolverhampton, we clocked a steady ( if u can call it that 2:22)…
    I was never really with it at all, I have no idea why …. Just never ever got to grips with any of it…
    But these things do happen ahh …

I was hurting around my groin after about 8 miles, I never got to have any control over pace, or mental stamina to consider going on for the FM…

So, were home safely, a nice day, an average run , what more can I say .. Oh yes , No regrets
  • Options
    I am just wondering to myself quietly ....

i wonder if my FM days are over and behind me, after such a big effort last week and today to compete a HM

considering everything, No i'm not seeking excuses of whats happened last 2 Sundays - but we dont last forever, and Philip is or feel extremely heavy now ...

HM's are still pretty comphy, i'm just wondering in my mind if FM's are behind me now... I'll not lose any sleep over it, not at all, but the next few days i'll see how i feel about next weeks RH FM or to switch to HM and run a good one ...

After all it has to happen one day ahh... we only invisage Phillip staying with us for another what ? 5 years .. so nothing's forever

• Options
    did Stainland 7 mile in 53 mins 2 mins faster then last year killer hill at 6 miles mind you all up hill from just over 1 mile to the end
  • Options

ahh, is that suppose to cheer me up or what

you make me laugh you know - good on you - keep at it image

keep feeling fit and good ahh

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like someone posting a completely random race summary completely unrelated to your thread to cheer you eh!   image
  • Options

i know,

Compo's a nice guy- it made me laugh

• Options
    mic phil hope to see you at a race soon
  • Options

ahh Compo

take care buddy- we'll be at RH this week

• Options
    RH FM here we come...

This weekend is the festival of running at Nottingham ...some 12,000 runners, maybe more will set out on their own personal challenge to the sound, and well wishes of thousands of spectators ...

most will be out for the HM 13.1 miles, the others around 1600 ?? i suppose will carry on ( after the others swing left for 0.1 mile to finish ) to do another 13.1 miles, only it will be flat, ( where the first half is not ) , and lonely in places ...

for us, i'm unsure TBH, the 13 miles should not be a problem, but do i have the desire right now to do 26 miles, ...

I suppose i will find out, many of our friends will be there, ( they are fantastic people ), they have supported us for many years, and we admire them greatly for what they do ...

it'll be as usual all on the day, i'm feeling rather ok, ... trying to put 2 bad HM's behind me now ....but then we all get bad days...even the best and most expereinced of us
  • Options

Hey Mick!  I have just seen you got a mention in my old local paper online (Swindon Advertiser) as you were running the half there today.

newspaper

I'm out of the country now for a while but may have run if I had been there.  Hope it went well, it's a hilly course so not an obvious one for you to choose!!  Wish I had been there to cheer you on.

• Options
    Abingdon Marathon That we ( DNF ) …

What a day it was, the weather so unbelievably perfect in every way, … organisation was perfect as it always is …

( But sadly with Hindsight I should have spectated ) … HM’s are not a problem, one can just plod, run, pace them out, but if things are not good, FM’s can be hard work…

We Arrived and prepared as normal, got ready best I could, we set off, but I knew after about 3-4 miles my heart was not with it at all, …I had no pace, no feelings of wanting to TBH, mentally subdued with life’s problems altogether …to be honest my heart isn’t in anything at moment, it hasn’t been for a while now…

My right arm & shoulder hurts, and has for sometime now, …through lifting and dismantling Phillip’s wheelchair and Mrs Mick’s electric scooter into and out of car … it really has over time left me feeling quite physically and mentally sick and unwell … I met and ran with some fabulas people, some I know, some I met for first time, but nothing could motivate me …I felt embarrassed to talk yesterday as Phillip rarely lets me talk…

I withdrew at Fetch point at around 8 miles I think, not that the distance matters one bit, I wrapped up as warm as I could with my dry sweater in bag on wheelchair, and spectated until Rach E & Gobi took me back to the start - finish are….
    I am extremely grateful to Rach E & Gobi …they are two wonderful people in life, two people that I so admire …

But the race not going right is one of the last things on my mind really, yes of course I’m a little disappointed with it …but I have far more serious matters to deal with in my life, …

Things at home are extremely difficult, … My wife is not well, on a massive amount of medication, she is awaiting to go into hospital for treatment, .. She is very nervous and upset about this and waiting for the phone to go to say can you be in within 48 hours …

We are waiting now for the paper work to be done so as our new vehicle can fitted with all the disability adaptations … things then may change a little, they certainly cannot before…

So, yes I’m glad I pulled out yesterday and relaxed and not pushed myself just to say “ I’ve run another FM “- I really cannot be asked with it ….

Caring is mentally draining in life, not may people understand, you only have to hear people in life when talking to them, in the supermarket or street, or even people in LA, and you realise they have NO idea …most people in life do have a certain amount of choice about career or job, but carers of sick or and disabled loved ones have NO choice, ….

The battery is constantly going flat, and if they do not have the tools to do the job, life can become unbearable at times…

I only wish at times, it was as simple as leaving off the alcohol, as it will be 9 years next month, leaving that alone is simple… caring is not..
    So, I am going to rest and plod on in life wait to receive this new Renault trafic I hope , I will continue with HM’s as even on a bad day they are relatively simple to conquer, I am going to look forward now to MK track marathon 106 x 400 metre laps , and what we can get out of it, …

To all those concerned thanks for all your support

• Options
    Your a top man Mick. ((((( ))))))
  • Options

Hi all - we do hope your all well, happy and keeping fit

keep forgetting to copy and paste - my fault entirely

***Sphinx summer 5 miler... ****

last night we took part in the summer 5 mile race at Coventry's war memorial park ...

it was a superb race, we clocked a nice 47 mins, which after 3 months of sickness i'm more than happy with...

Much needed work has been done to paths at the park by Coventry city council - ok we always coped with the rough paths with a little effort, but some may not have ... ( meaning i push my adult son in his wheelchair - he cannot self propell )

it is now superb, complete outer perimeter path fully tarmaced ..

we had a superb evening, we met friends old and new, we met a guy on route who chatted and laughed with us, - he mailed us this morning , to keep in touch- that i am chuffed about...

if he or anyone else reads this, and i can help in any way with running, or build up to marathon distance - please do contact me...

My best wishes to you all always -

KEEP FIT - FEEL GOOD

Mick

• Options

I also did the Sphinx summer 5 last night and we kept overtaking each other! I ended up coming home in 46mins. Was a lovely race and will def go back and do it agin. The cake at the end was amazing image