Options

The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Options

hi there Jj, thanks for message,

rozzalee2847@googlemail.com

• Options

Hi Lee,

That sounds INCREDIBLY annoying - did the Germans literally do it the same week, so you didn't hold the record even for a short time? If so, that sucks big time.

Re: being on the team, you have mail (or you will do in a sec.)

• Options
    koichkoich ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all you guys doing this, it will be an amazing feat.

Make sure when you come to do this, at the location there is a back-up generator installed, you dont want a powercut at the 47th hr.
  • Options

i'm one of 4 people to go over 400 miles on their own in 7 days on a treadmill, i held record for a few months but never got certificate as the other guy was claiming at same time, so susspose not really, never mind, i'm going to do it again n do 500 miles next time i hope.

not got mail yet

• Options

Evening team

Did mention this to other half but got a quick no-no as have evening at wicked on 11th. Quite fancied an hour warm up, theatre and then hour warm down in early hours. Was definitely a no image

Will certainly be there to cheer you all on but may have to take PP for a pint on the Saturday to calm his nerves for a sub 2.45 attempt image

Ode

• Options

Gym is Virgin Active on the Strand in London (it's basically underneath Shellmex house). It's quite a big gym and I'm sure they wouldn't be averse to me "booking" some treadmills in a row in advance.

Although I am more than open to other ideas! Happy to organise more of a "home counties" practice if necessary (as I live in Newbury but work in London).

Or am I just taking this all far too seriously?

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, sorry, only just found this thread!

Don't think I will be able to make March 8 I'm afraid as I'm away. Will try 30mins fast, 30mins rest, 30mins on the 8th and will be thinking of you all!

I just realised that it's really not that long now - can't wait, should be a good laugh!

NtS - am about to send you an email.

• Options

Morning all

NtS - Is 8 March still on?  I can't do 13 March as will be cleaning out the bookies at Cheltenham!

From various previous posts I see the shift preferences (so far) as follows:

GR - 30 mins on, 5 1/2hr break, CRAB, Padams, Rach - 30 on, 30 off, 30 on, RB - 1 hour on, Ouch - 40 on, 40 off, 40 on, O, NtS - 15 on, 15 off x4

Sound right?  Any others?

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I haven't decided on my shift preferences yet! I think we should be paired up and then decide between our pairs, with each pair having periods of e.g. 2 hours. The competition of which pair can do the most miles should push us on a bit!

Then we just have to decide on the pairings....

• Options
    Ode - you can take me for as many pints as you like on the Saturday night, since my marathon outing this year is at Paris, the week before.  If I've managed a 2:45 by then I might even buy you one!  image
  • Options

Padams I suppose I could be persuaded to be paired up with someone who's marafun PW is a minute slower than mine if you asked really nicely - incidentally you're still 5mins inside BEJ so don't go getting down on yourself big guy ;o)

I haven't decided my preferred timings for maximal distance the 30 on/off thing is just my guess at something that would be doable, allow a good distance to be covered and the maths is quite easy if you're looking to divi up the time. 

Let's not try and make rocket science out of what is in effect a relatively simple task - given that you've got 12 quick enough runners, a treadmilll (or two) and a clock.

Moving this thread around is doing wonders for my CDO you know.  Nearly reached a state of discombobulation (esp for Dan A) last night.

As you WeRe.

• Options
    Orinicho/ Nts - Happy with 3 * 40m or 4*30 mins to fit in with whoever I 'team-up' with.

With 27 days of rest behind me, and 8 days left in front of me, just chomping at the bit to get my shoes on and do some running, hence not so gungho at the mo on the handicap system challange - Don't worry team mates, will be fitish as a fiddle come April 11-13th, although any tips to quickly get that fitness up would be welcomed.

Lee - 7 Days treadmill World Record Wow - NtS have you thought about for 2009? (Thinks again No don't even ngo there.

• Options

Hi Team ,I have in the past few years ran the team 7 day world treadmill record followed by the London marathon and also ran solo for the 7 day treadmill record world record  followed by the London marathon ,and on both occassions it has been in Lillywhites shop window in Picadilly .

As a Solo attempt and as a team attempt it is an hard challenge ( but fun) and the public are terrific  and give great support - I can no longer run due to a serious injury but as I have been a running feature in Lillywhites window in the run up to the London marathon for quite a few years ,it is great to see that the window will not be empty and the treadmill record will continue at that venue .

I do wish you the best of luck ,though looking at the team you won't need any luck as you will breeze into the record books ,I will (if you wish ) drop by to give some support and shake a few tins ( I can't run , so keep me away from the treadmill.

One tip - have a second treadmill on standby just in case, oh and when running on the treadmill make sure it is facing away from Picadilly tube station (as the floor in the window is slightly slanted against you if you face the otherway .

All the best team,

Glyn Marston

www.glynmarstonultradistancerunner.com

• Options

Glyn - now that's the kind of insider knowledge I LIKE. Don't want to be doing the whole thing uphill!! Seriously though - thanks for the support. I've read all about your attempts - in fact reading them was pretty much where I got the idea for this from - and I'm really sorry to hear that you can't run any more. It'd be great to see you there though and to meet up.

Lee - has my email arrived yet. I seem to be having problems sending to hotmail addresses - you don't have an alternative do you? 

Should have the team finalised in the next 24 hours or so - then we can sort pairings, shifts, etc.

• Options

Hey Nick ,you have made a 'retired' runner a very happy man - I would love to say that I may have inspired you to take on the challenge at Lilywhites at least then I am a little part of someone's running challenges .

On that note -if you wish extra pubilcity for your fundraising ,you could e.mail my local media                       ( email   walsall@expressandstar.co.uk   )  and if you were to tell them that you were doing this challenge in the same venue as Glyn Marston ( or even inspired by the man to do this challenge) they would certainly give it some huge publicity in the region - remember to add how folks can sponsor your team too.

Sorry if this seems as if I am blowing my own trumpet ,but I miss running ,I certainly miss the Lillywhites thing and I wish I was there with your team ( have you got an official starter -lol ).

I do realise that the running on the treadmill is the easy part , for the organizing is so tricky and can be an headache at times - so well done on getting this project off the ground.

Please keep me updated on the event as I will be spreading the word and hopefully give your charity a boost for fundraising.

Glyn Marston

• Options

Sean - you have mail. Sorry it's not better news, but I really tried.

Kempez - same for you too mate I'm afraid. No joy with the FLM place - they are not budging AT ALL, even for an event like this.

So - that means we still have ONE place on the team available, but that person would need to a) fast enough! (ie sub-3 marathon if poss!) b) have their own FLM place, and c) be prepared to do just a little bit of fundraising

If anyone knows anyone that fits the bill - do give me a shout!

• Options

Oh and Glyn - yep we'll certainly be doing some local publicity so thanks for the Walsall tip - I'll get onto them!

This thread is probably the best place to stay updated on developments (I'm sure there will be loads of ups and downs before we actually get to start running!) so stick around.....

• Options

I would like to send a message to all runners who are taking part in this years London Marathon ,when you go to the Marathon expo to collect race numbers -please find time to cheer on this team at Lillywhites, because they surely deserve all the support that they can get .

Oh Nick ,when you get to Lillywhites please pass on my best to Bob and Michelle .

• Options

Evening all,

Glyn-Very impressive C.V not  so much the running achievements but meeting the rock god Brian May.......thats gotta be better than 5 finishes in the GUCR....Well it would be in my book. Seriously though thats some running career and well done on the fundraising efforts

Lee- I remember reading about your exploits in the local rag so you must just be up the road from me ........7 days ont mill you must be barking and to clock up over 400 miles is an awesome achievement.

Not much to report from me

Still doing a bit 

• Options

Goldrush -thanks for the compliment ,meeting Brian May was great and even better was when I paced Nell McAndrew on her very first Marathon (London 2004) .

I have recently had a complete knee replacement operation due to a serious injury, but Brian may , Nell McAndrew ,actress Vicki Michelle and Ron Hill have all sent get well soon messages -so I can retire from running with some pride.

However,thanks to Tanni Grey-Thompson I am now a Wheelchair athlete and I am to emulate my achievements from running in my racing wheelchair ,that said I have a 152 mile stint planned in June.

As for Lillywhites and the treadmill record attempt ,I hope all runners in London at the time of the event will turn up and give support -I will be making a special trip to cheer on the team .

Glyn 

• Options

Can't have us bouncing off the 1st page now can we?  So this is a bit boingtastic - not a great deal to report.

Anyone done any testing yet?  I'm planning on Thursday morning I think for the WRpace (got a nice ring to it that) 30min on/30min off type thing - worse case scenario Friday got a bit of a hectic week so trying to shoe-horn it in is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Glyn sounds like you're a legend and thanks for the tips.

As you were.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CRAB - I'm going to have a go at 30min on 30 off and 30 on again on Saturday afternoon. Will do it on a dreadmill too just to simulate it better. Might do one hour on, one hour off, one hour on, in a couple of weeks to see how that feels.

What is WRpace then? Not the current record pace surely (7:30ish), far too slow? I'm going to try 6 min/mile on Saturday and see how it goes.

Glyn - thanks for the support and major respect for your achievements!

• Options

Hail Hail

Padams - I'd have thought that would have been FAARRR too easy for you.  5min/M for 30mins on/off would be more like it.  I'll be aiming for 6.00s for 30min sessions, or 6.30s for the hour.  If I can shake off this lurgi that is.  I do have 24hr access to a treadmill if anybody fancies a on/off training session up here.

Glyn - WOW!

• Options

We'll have to make sure they let us use the treadmill at more than 16kph (which is marginally under 6m/m for those that want to run fast!). A lot of gyms (and shop demo treddies) have a safety feature so you can't set them above that speed.

I know I can hold 15kph for ages on the treddy but 16kph for 30 mins, although possible, will be a little tougher for me.

• Options

Padams WRPace for a skinny one with a funny gait is 6m/m I'd hope but I'm with RB it might be a bit on the low side for a running Dog like you.  I'd be confident of maintaining it (relatively) comfortably for 30mins but an hour's a long old stint.  Just need to see if I can repeat the 30mins after inactivity.  I might do a placebo (sat on me aerosole doing fck all) and then (another day) try filling the 30mins (or part thereof) spinning very gently on my turbo.

Seems even talk of 6m/m pace can prolong shin splints in some (Western) parts of the country -esp for coffin-dodgers then?  Not exactly crowing about the handicap system now is our friend OO? Seriously that's a real bummer not to have a reigning marathon champ on the team.  The right call of course but a tough one.

GR you're on a nice little earner that weekend with pug's Ayrton and I reckon OO was talking at least twice that for the most mileage covered in the handicap system. 

Anyone want to propose a time for the 13th?  Afternoon is better for me but I'm happy to be flexible if needed.

As you WeRe.

• Options

Rach 15/16kph?  The faster the better of course but if we can do half at 16kph with the quicker ones and half at 15kph we'd go well over 460miles anyway - which isn't exactly Sergei Bubka territory.  Would be great to top 480 but I'm not sure I CBA to run at 6m/m pace at 3am full of fatigue, in a deserted shop window, on a treadmill with the occasional pi$$head urinating against the glass cos I've surprisingly never really tried it.

As you WeRe.

• Options

Hail Hail

Crab - you've never lived then!

• Options

Thanks for the kind words team, I have ran in Lillywhites window on the 7 day treadmill world record on many occassions ( solo aswell as team) .

I sorely miss running and I certainly miss taking part in events such as this .

I would have loved to have my name as part of this event and I would have been even more proud to be part of a great team ,but as 'Nick the stick' mentioned that it was reading about my running that gave him the idea to take on this event,so if you don't mind I will take some pride from the fact that I may have inspired some to greater achievements .

For the purpose of Guinness world records - I would recommend that you video tape each change over stating the runner's name , the time of getting off the treadmill and the mileage so far -followed by the name of the running getting on the treadmill and his starting mileage.

On paper you will have laid out the form to include runner's name mileage for the stint and overall mileage, and times for starting/finishing stints .

Oh,and Lillywhites is a busy store so please leave valuables in a room that Lillywhites will allocate to you- and other stuff that you will need in the window keep locked in the cage or keep well away from the window door - some B'tards don't care that it is a charity event and they would lift anything they can ( I know ). 

Again I will wish you luck - in running and fundraising .

and if you need some inspiration you may find it on

www.glynmarstonultradistancerunner.com

• Options

Glyn - cheers, yeah, Guinness say we have to video the WHOLE EVENT not just the changeovers which is a bit of a pain.... means someone's gotta keep swapping the tapes so we cover the whole 48 hours. We also asked your mate Nell if she'd like to be a part of the squad! But she's a bit busy unfortunately....

And speaking of changeovers - here's a bit from the website of the team that broke the 24-hour one.

3:33 pm 3/6/07 - Another good question - How did you switch
    runners on one treadmill?
    Very carefully!We took the speed down to
    10mph and one guy jumped on the left side, while another went on from the right
    side. The entire switch took an average of 4 seconds. If you scroll to
    the very bottom of this page we have a short video showing a typical transition.

I'm currently double-checking the rules for changeovers as Neil was convinced that you had to stop the treadmill between runners (which would obviously change our plans massively) but it's clear these guys didn't do that.... 

Afternoon of the 13th is good for me. Looking fwd to the looks we get from fellow gym-goers when our first attempt at a changeover ends in disaster....;0)