Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

Well, I went to see the onsultant today about my stress fracture, it doesn't seem to be healing as quick as he'd hoped, so now he wants to put me in a cast for two months!! image  Plus he's talking about operations as well, with me being out for over a year if it comes to that.  Feeling sick about it all, now looks like New York is out of the question as well.

The way things are going, I'm never going to run a marathon.

• Options

MF - really feel for you. Makes my problem look a little sissie. Stay positive. Better to be fixed properly and come back in good shape ready for the challenge.  Where is the fracture??

JD, my running partner adopted the same tactics on the 13th and he came home in 2:58:55 and was pleased that he has some in the bag for the last couple of miles. Seems like the right way to go about things. - Things hotting up for you boys now!!!!

Ok, as there are a few others with injuries, I thought I would let you all know how my trip to the hospital went today for my Ultrasound scan!!! Nothing like MF and Domsk but still a pain. I’ve just got back from the hospital after my scan. Not pretty!!! Basically my inside of the calf has completely torn and separated. So much so that there is a big black gaping hole where the muscle should be. When the muscle tore it separated from top to bottom. The void then immediately filled with blood and everything else. The reason my calf swelled up so much was the gap completely filled with blood etc. The severity of the bruising thereafter was the blood “soaking” through. However, the scan showed there was still plenty in there along with a juicy big clot. Prognosis is in the hands now of the consultant who I should see in a few days time. The doctor that did the scan felt that it needed treating which would mean them sticking a great big needle in to the void and sucking out the stuff. The muscle would then close back up and the calf would heal itself. He checked my Achilles whilst he was at it and thankfully that’s all looking healthy. He also checked my ankle that is still the size of a small football and was happy that was just collateral swelling and nothing serious.So, I now just have to see what the consultant wants to do with this problem and then we can move on to the knee!!! Thank god for private medical cover
  • Options

Hope it goes well Swayer & Moscow Flyer...............

I've entered Berlin for Autumn, got two weeks to Prague, then two weeks to Edinburgh marathons.  Not racing Prague, saving myself for a PB attempt at Edinburgh fingers crossed...........

• Options

Smiffie - what are you aiming for at Edinburgh?

MF ans Swayer - those injuries sound horrendous - what can I say, but sympathy.

As for Hull City - darent comment until after Saturday.  Need stoke to lose. Think Hull may have blown their chances losing away to Sheff Utd last Sat.  We now have to win last 2 games - Crystal Palace and Ipswich, but if Stoke get their last 6 points, then it is the dreaded play offs.  My son plays for Hull City Centre of Excellence under 10's and they are playing Leeds United academy boys on Saturday - so should be a good day of footie.   

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Looks like Fulham will be in the Champoinship now next season...... unless we win 3 games on the bounce, and considering that we havent won back to back games in 64 matches... looks bleak...

MF / Swayer, hope all goes well with the recoveries and you too Domsk

Running is increasing.... wil actually do an unplanned double today as going to club shortly, but went out and did 4.25 at lunch because a mate wanted some company as he tries to regain his fitness, so did that is 39:10 (9:13 pace).....

Take care all

• Options

Hi There

I entered for the ballot on Monday but when I got to the last payment page I got an error message. I then tried to start again but was told I could not proceed because my email was already registered. I phoned the helpline and they told me to email craig@realbuzz.com about my problem as apparently alot of others had had the same thing. However it is now Wednesday mnight and i have still heard nothing. Has anybody else had the same problem?

• Options

My application went through OK - can't understand why it will take until October before they let you know whether you're in or not though!

RFJ - if it's any consolation the mighty Maidstone United are also staring into the abyss - need a win in the final game on Saturday to stay up.

• Options

Hi all

Swayer MF- fingers crossed.

Smiffie , you are totally mad with all these marathons in a few months - but then again - just jealous that you'll overtake me.image

Dublin- now that's somewhere I haven't been and would love to see!! Mmm, 26.2 while I'm there??? Thinking about it now...

Please can we stop all this football chat - its rather depressing right now. Can't believe what's going on at Reading - gotta beat Wigan and Derby away and Spurs at home...

JD, good luck to your lad - MrAA is Leeds fan..... 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Talk of depressing football - we have Newcastle up here!  Although they did beat Sunderland the other day!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Done my club run, now very tired...... 9.25m in 1:16:53, but coupled with the 4.25 earlier thats 13.5 for the day...... i'm entering the madness arena again.....

At leat its in your hands AA well Readings..... wer'e doomed........ (in a Scotish accent from Dads Army)...!

• Options

All in the Mind

Had the same problems as you. Mailed a guy at realbuzz who stated that as my first entry had not been paid for will be rejected before ballot stage. I then asked if they check the names for doble entry and he replied that before they do that the reject any incomplete enteries such as the ones that didnt pay

They are well aware of this problem

• Options

RFJ - Don't Panic, Don't Panic (in a not quite sure what accent)

AA - sounds like there's a fair amount of interest on this thread for Dublin. I know the city pretty well and I hear the marathon course is fairly flat - anyone any experience of it?

9 x 800m for me again this morning and a more leisurely one through the woods tomorrow morning

• Options

Went to physio again today, not much she can do now so been referred to a consultant.

There some mutterings about a big boot and blood injections, probably followed by a bolt through the forehead. I don't care as long as I can get back to running!

Like 3:30 I'm a Spurs fan, so our season ended in Feb!

• Options

RFJ,

[John Le Mesurier] Are you sure that's wise, Captain?[/John Le Mesurier]

• Options

Domsk

COYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Options
    kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

Hi NN,  Yes, I live in Exeter. I would like to come along to the SW roadrunners on a wednesday, but my wife and I have to take turns looking our 3 month old daughter in the evenings, and she's already bagged wednesday evenings to go to her pilates class image) Once I've done the Great West I'm going to concentrate on my rowing over the summer, at least until I hear if I've got a place in the marathon for next year. Am going to try and keep the running up to around 20 miles a week to give myself a decent base to start from.

AA - keep the faith! We'll beat Wigan at the weekend, then Spurs the week after, and everything will be OK (crosses fingers, toes etc)

• Options
    I ran Dublin Last October. Whilst the course could be described as flat there were one or two hills to run up and run down and I think one was a short sharp steep one. I do remember my running partner telling me at about mile 18 or 19 thats the last hill.
  • Options

Hey, Domsk and MF, maybe we should start a thread for the sick and injured!!!

Saw the consultant last night and hd some good news on the calf. No needles or draining requiredimage He feels that as it is coming up to three weeks since the injury all the stuff in the gap would be fairly think and would be difficult to drain out. So he has now lined up the physio to get to work on it and break things down and then left the body do the rest. Physio also needs to start getting flexible again so it doesnt stiffen up any more. All being well, it should be in better shape within two to three weeks.

Now waiting for stage two and the MRI scan on my knee.

Feeling a little more positive at the moment. Have signed up for Berlin with three local mates. Started the training and planning for this by going to the pub last night and having a few beersimage

Graham F....ahhhh the days of young children. I'm coming out the other end but my eldest passed her driving test on Monday and now we are in to another whole world of worry and woeimage

• Options

Swayer,

looks like things are looking upimage + I like your idea of a few beers to ease you back into training mode.

Just got back from an early(ish) run with a friend who's coming back from a broken toe (kicked a wall when drunk!!) Up until then he was running halves in around 75 minutes or so, but even though he has to take it easy, he still kicked my butt! Youngsters - no respect, grumble grumble....

Anyway, off to Costco in Reading to buy lots of cheap and shiny things,

Hoggy.

• Options

Don't you just love Costco - not just lots of cheap shiny things, but dirt cheap junkfood at the end as well image

Finally got back to running this week. Did 4 x 1250m on Tuesday in 4:42, 4:42, 4:43 & 4:40, then did the club's monthly 5k time trial last night in 20:35, which matches my official PB but is over 40 seconds faster than I've ever done on that route before, despite the strong headwinds on the way back. It's looking good to go sub-20 for the first time on my next 5k race.

• Options

Swayer, all sounds good for your recovery.

My physio has passed me on to a consultant (fed up with me moaning I think) and I'll find out on Tuesday if I have to a comedy shoe for a while.

• Options

Hoggy - costco is far too convinient for me!!

graham - I'm trying to keep at the glass half full stage. Fingers crossed at Wigan tomorrow and that Bolton and Fulham slip up Big Style - sorry RFJ!!!

No running for a few days for me - hope to do a 6 miler tomorrow in line for Shinfield 10k on BH Monday but then again - weather's supposed to be really niceimage so maybe not.....

• Options
    Swayer Berlin 2008 Thread woohoo I've already entered aswell, AA? image
  • Options

I loved Berlin last year - my perfect marathon - 3:29:46! Don't think I'll do that again....

Smiffie, you are totally bonkers!

• Options

Looks like there is going to be a good RW showing at Berlin thenimage Can't wait. Just want to get sorted and get back on the road again. Now need to book the flights and hotels. Any hotel recommendations AA as you have been before. Mrs S is coming along to cheer and at the moment we are planning on going out on the Thursday an coming back on the Monday.

Thanks Smiffie, will chack out the Berlin thread and say hello.

AA, Mr AA must be happy as well - 3 points in the bag last night and guranteed play of place. All we need now is to win our last game, Swansea to drop a couple of points, we to get back the 15 points we were unfairly robbed of and up we go as Champions!!!!

Good luck on Tuesday Domsk. Hope its good news and no comedy shoe!

Good runing BWOTF - you'll be stepping up to the sub 3's with running like that!!

• Options

Swayer, he's already sorted out corporate place at final if they get there!! That's how confident he must be!!!

Hotel I stayed in was called Hotel Berlin, Berlin. About a mile from start/finish. I booked it through Berlin Marathon website. Totally recommend it. It was full of marathon runners so had pasta party on Sat night and early breakfast on Sunday morning. Easy walk away too. I was on my own, so walked up to the start/finish area on Saturday to get in the mood! The  in-line skate marathon goes right past it on the Saturday.

• Options

Went out this morning for last long run before Halstead in a couple of weekends' time - 21 miles at 8mm pace. Legs a bit achy but at least the taper's started now!

BOTF - good going. I have a sub 20min 5K on my list of targets for this year as well. Need to find another 10s from somewhere and I'm there!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Youll find that 10 secs Lorenzo....... am also looking at getting back under 20 for 5k havent been there for 2 years, but know that I can....

Good running above BOTF, and Lorenzo.

What a come back by the whites today.... 2-0 down with 20 mins to play and win 3-2....

4m tempo run toady, have managed to injure my foot, but doesnt seem to affect my running, its on the top of my foot and the most pain is at night lying in bed.....!

• Options

Good day today - decent run in the morning, Lorenzito no.2 enjoyed his first football training session....

... and the mighty Maidstone Utd escaped relegation from the Ryman Premier League with a win on the last day of the season thanks to a last minute goalline clearance!

• Options

RFJ, good see they have some fighting spirit left in them. Our fate is still in our own hands - no thanks to Liverpool!!

8 miles for me this morning in 59 mins, feel absolutely shattered now though.

Enjoy your taper Lorenzoimage