Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

myredface - sorry to hear that you couldn't race the other week. Hopefully better luck with the next one. I think a lot of runners take a couple of imodiums before races - kind of as a preventative measure against the unsettled stomach thing.

Where is everyone else?

Did 6.2k this morning in 1:10:48. Pretty pleased with myself as it's a minute and a half off my PB. Got another 10k in a couple of weeks so am hoping that the race atmosphere might help me knock a couple of minutes off that. It was really tiring though - think it's because I've been dieting a bit this week and haven't quite got the balance right on how much food I can eat and lose weight and still have the energy to run? Any tips? I've only got about 10lbs to lose fortunately.

• Options
    Hiya all, very quiet on here. I know i should get on here more really. Well did my 5 mile race this morning but forgot to take my watch but i think i did it in approx 43 mins. Got another 5 miler on wednesday. Only 2 mor weeks til i fly off to sunny spain woo hoo. Running shoes are all packed in ready lol.
  • Options
    I went out earlier on today and did a completely different route.
    I didn't even know how far it was but the run felt great and very comfortable throughout.I arrived back home in 32 mins.
    Anyway got in and mapped it on 'map my run' and was astounded to see 3.2 miles!!
    Considering 5K(3.1miles) has been taking me 35 mins I'm really pleased.
    Just goes to show that sometimes a new route is a good idea-unless map my run was wrong!!
    I might drive it later in the car and just check!!(fingers crossed its correct!)
  • Options

Hey susie, that is great news. Well done you image 

I have another 5 mile race tomorrow. Can't get enough at the moment, i love it. 2 weeks to go to my holiday in spain woo hoo can't wait

• Options

LM  Are we in this together then?   No weight loss this last week, think I may have lost some too quickly -   but am more determined than ever.   Thanks for your tip by the way I hope not to have to resort to taking imodiums before  a race, 

I know what you mean about getting the balance right so I  try to  include some protein (chicken wrap, or tuna and sweetcorn)  for lunch, with a banana or some pieces of dried fruit  for afternoon snack - which is why I feel I am better running in the early evening  - NOT at 8.45 in the morning  image

Well done susie  -  10 min mile  sounds pdg to me.  I am still ambling  around at the 11 or 12 minutes I just sooooo want to get it down a bit more.

Go for it Ady  Go Go Go image

Take Care

xx

• Options

Don't ya just love running in the rain?

Bit quiet in here   image

Take care anyways  all those who are looking in....

• Options

Hello everyone

Sorry ive not been about, manic at work and training....managed to drop to a size 10/12 in clothes, im so delighted!

Hope everyone is ok xxxxxxxxxxx

• Options

myredface - I'll join you on the dieting thing. I've been RUBBISH this week though. Takeaway on Wednesday and a out for a 3 course meal with lots of wine last night. 16 miles this week though, so I'm not feeling TOO bad about it.

Hope everyone is well - not been about too much this week. Life has just seemed manic!

• Options

The sun is shining whoopee!!!  

Have a 5 mile 'fun run' along the beach tomorrow morning (not too early this time)  

Local running clubs organise a run during the summer months and club members turn out  for a bit of healthy competition and points!!     You see all the same faces turn up and it is a great  social

get-together imageimageimage    On only my second run  I won a spot prize !!  How cool is that as I was second to last to finish

Well Done Strump -My aim is to drop to a 12.  You have just spurred me on that much more now !!!

Have fun on oyur runs this weekend   Enjoy    image 

x

• Options

LM    Great we can encourage each other on this one! 

Just going to settle down and watch young Tom Daly dive for a medal!!   Hasn't it been a great fortnight for our sportsmen and women in China? 

• Options

Its been a great Olympics for our guys n gals eh, so proud of them all.

Have fun on yr run MRF xx

• Options

Hiya all. Sorry not been on much this week. Did what i thought was a 5 mile race on wednesday, it was actually 5K. Everything felt great that night & did it in 22:47 i came in 129th out of 185 but i was so pleased with the time. Would like to get below 20 mins if i can then i will be really happy.  Have a little niggle in my knee though so i think i will leave the running for a few days & see how it goes.

STRUMP - Well done on losing that weight, bet hubby is happy image

MRF - Running along the beach, never done it but i bet it feels amazing & good luck with the run tomorrow.

• Options

Ady - You're getting so fast! That sub 20 min 5k won't be too far away at this rate. I still dream of getting mine under 30 minutes. But I'm a girl with short legs, so I'm not beating myself up too much image

MRF - I'm back of the healthy eating thing again. Have been very good for the last couple of days, so am hoping the scales are heading in the right direction.

Managed to get out running yesterday for the first time since Tuesday. Decided to run for an hour and managed 5.65 miles, so I'm getting slightly faster. My current goal is a sub 60 10k, but I'm miles away from that at the moment. Ended up doing a 9 mile walk in the afternoon too - my sister wants to get healthy and dragged me out walking - so I'm having a rest day today. Back out running tomorrow image

• Options

Wow Ady hun, bloody well done!

Fraid hubby isnt so pleased at the weight loss lol, hates me to slim....but hey! Im pleased!

Did anyone stay up to watch the mens marathon? How i didnt wake the street up i dont know, i was cheering that amazing Kenyon on......all credit due to the winning 3, amazing!

Not going to get a run today, but will be out tomorrow xxxxxx

• Options

Yeah i was at work at 8.30 this morning but i did stay awake to watch it. How do they manage to keep up that speed for that long, i would just love to able to run a marathon. I have my first half marathon coming up on october 12th & i am just starting to believe i can do it. I have been sitting on here all day reading about what i should be eating & drinking pre & post race & i think i have got it now. OMG how sad am i getting image 

Have not been out since wednesday night & i'm itching to get out on the road again but i have to be disciplined & think about my damn injury GRRRRRRimage lol

LM - keep it up gal & i know you will get there very soon image xx 

• Options

Cheers Ady. It's amazing what a little progress will do for motivation. I can't wait to get out for my run tomorrow! I reckon you'll do the half marathon easily. Doesn't it seem funny how when we started on this thread we were training for 5k's and a half marathon seemed absolutely impossible?

I dread to think how much time I spend reading up on running - eating, drinking and training tips. I'm having to join a running club because I'm afraid I'm starting to bore my non-running friends. Thank goodness for this place! image

• Options

imageHi guys & gals, Computer still in hospitalimage so pinching hubbys again for a mo - Glad to see your'e all enjoying runs/diets etc  imageAdy don't despair you will be out soon don't rush it. Better to be safe than sorry. x

imageWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell last week did 3.5m in 34.58, and at the weekend (with hangover) ran for 76mins which clocked 6.6 miles. Soooooooooooooooooo today thought I would try to do better - How wrong could I be image had a rubbish run had to walk at 43mins (terrible head wind)  - then rest of route was all uphill and I walk/ran to home it was 7.3miles but took me 1.31.52, (I had fish & chips very late last night & the same on Fri night - not trying to make excused but could bad diet really affect me that much ???????????????????) As you can see my slimming world diet has gone to pot so feling really deflated & feeling sick aswell.

imageTomorrow am doing horse show so have spent he rest of the dy getting horse bathed & tack cleaned etc and now hav to dash off to pick up trailer for show tomorrow and then back to horse to settle her down for the night - No rest for the wicked - oh boy I must be bad.

imageSorry to ramble on so much missed chatting to you all - take care & run safe Nessie xx

• Options

PLOD - you ramble on as much as you want to, we enjoy it. The experts do say that if you eat the wrong food or indeed eat too late it can affect your performance & if you think about it, by eating late at night you don't have a chance to burn it off & if it is not the right food then it will lay dormant in your body. I would not worry too much though cause we all have off days, even paula radcliffe. I suppose she had a bit of an excuse though really image

You know too well that they say if you fall off the horse you have to get right back on again (how about that for a great link) which brings me nicely on to the horse show. I don't know too much about horses except you have to keep away from the back of the horse when they lift their tails image so good luck with the show  & i hope you have a great time & good luck image

LM - good luck with the running club. I joined a little while ago & it is the best thing i have ever done. My times have come on leaps & bounds & they are always there to encourage you image

• Options

Hi Guys n Gals

Lovely to see you all.....think we must all be sad then lol, i bore everyone with my training and running lol, they must be sick of me....i have mags all over the place about anything to do with running and training...food, do's n dont's.

Not sure im ready for a half marathon yet, but i feel as though im getting there at last. I feel like a proper 'runner' now lol.

Very windy here today so i only went to the gym, really didnt feel like running in a gale lol.

Take care me darlins xxxxxxx

• Options

Hi All

Lovely run along the beach on sunday except that as it was a out and back run....guess what....yep that first 2.5 miles was lovely, the wind behind me,  the sand compact and lots of puddles to spalsh through as the tide had just gone out,  BUT -  coming back into that wind and running along the stoney stretch of the run was not so much  fun  image        Considering THAT wind did a reasonable time of 55.28 minutes

1lb lighter this week  image (monday weigh in)   LM?

Strump - I feel like you too, I think I am getting there.

Plod - Nice to see you again, love hearing your news.   Your  long weekend runs are legendary,  just keep on going as your times are sooooo good.  From the sound of things, your life being so busy I can only defend your late night fish suppers  it is not like it is all the time image   

Take Care

xx 

• Options

imageHi Gang  - Pinching hubbys compter 'cos he is away today on "sailing Experience" day I got him for a pressy, he loves boats & bless him he never usually has time for this as he is always busy with work or supporting me with horsey things or encouraging me with this running malarky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageHmmm that was a bit of a ramble before I even start -

imageAdy ta for advice you are right wrong food at late night very silly, trouble was my youngest lad has p/t job in fish & chip  shop sooooooooooooooooooo when he brought home freebies Miss Piggy Plod was weak!!!!!!!!!  Have vowed not to do it again 'cos I felt so ill and too near to half mara now to mess with diet. x

imageMyredface - talking of diet  - WELL DONE - I know what a 1lb off mens, I have just over 2lbs to go and I will be under 10st and thats what I want to aim for for half mara. imageI have ridden on the beach & walked dogs but now I fancy running  on the sand - sounds cool (apart from headwind etc) were you barefoot?  Have this silly romantic notion of me running (easilyimage Yeah right) with the wind blowing gently through my hair, the tide lapping gently at my feet as I glide effortlessly ove the sand!!!!!

imageMe thinks in reality I would be huffing & puffing, sweating like a pig and stumbling around in the waves like a drunken mad woman !!!!!! Still one can dream.

imageTalking of long weekend runs, this weekend the personal trainer I had a few weeks ago is taking me out  (free of charge so I will put her fee to the Wiltshire Airambulance charity that I am running for)  on a long final run before the half mara - which I thought was very kind of her to offer to do that, mind you I am getting nervous as I still have self doubt!!!!imageWhich is strange I know, 'cos I run down to where I keep the horse and that is 3.5m and I think nothing of doing tha tnow where as several months ago I couldn't have done that easily.

imageBest go and do some boring housework - youngest son away on intensive driving course so am mucking out hie room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TTFN Nessie run safexx 

• Options

MRF - I was down 1lb this week - which I was actually quite amazed at, given 2 nights out, one of those including a 2 course big dinner! Running on the beach sounds lovely. I'll definitely try it next time I'm anywhere near the sea. Downside to living near London is a lack of beaches image

Got my next 10k this weekend - the Nike Great Human Run. I've never felt seriously competitive in a race before, but I'm running against two men from work. One is lovely - and we talk running all the time since we started out around the same time. He's a big guy and has a few pounds to lose, but he is as dedicated as me, so we swap training tips. If he beat me, I'd be happy for him - The other guy is.....well, an idiot (that's putting it politely). He has done no training except for 2 short runs in 4 weeks, but has been crowing on for weeks, "I'm going to beat you! Can you seriously not do 10k in under an hour?!". He's been going on and on and on about how he's going to win, and he did his last 10k in 51 minutes. I asked when this was, "Oh, 4-5 years ago". I was like, "Mate, this time 4-5 years ago, I could do backflips and fit my bum in a pair of size 8 jeans. You kind of have to maintain these things".

So, for obvious reasons, I have to beat the guy. That, and the charity sweepstake going round my office shows that 70% of people are backing me to win. It's not even just the women voting for me out of female solidarity - most of the men are betting on me too. Talk about pressure! image

Anyone else doing this race?

• Options
    LM - don't you just hate people like that & yes he does sound like a very annoying person (trying to be polite) so please go out & beat him & beat him good lol then come back & gloat about it. My next run will be in spain on holiday woo hoo. Nothing serious though, just a few training runs.Fly out tuesday & i can't wait. Right better get out of bed & go to town to spend money. Good luck with the run lisa xx
  • Options
    Have a great holiday Ady. Running in Spain sounds lovely image
  • Options

I am back after a long absence

Ok panic stations - have Great North Run (1/2 mara) in a month, I haven't run for a month because of my injured knee.

What should I do?  No idea if I will manage it - almost too scared to go out running in case I can't do it anymore

• Options

Hi Kate - welcome back image

I think you should go out for a run and just see how you get on. You've been running quite a while now, so while a month off will have had some impact on your fitness, it may not be too much.

• Options
    Hi everyone..

just a bit of advice if anyone can help..

I'm running in a 5K race on Wednesday.Its near where my sister lives as I thought I could see her after the race etc..

Anyway she has now said that she will do the race aswell!!I had no idea that she'd want to do it!!

I'm a bit worried about this as because its only my second race I really wanted to concentrate on finishing in a good time and beating my RFL time.Now I've got the added stress of my sister running!I don't want to run with her as I so want to just think about my own race(sounds selfish but I think you'll understand)and we've never run together before so I've no idea of how quick or slow she'd be..I honestly wouldn't mind if she beat me so its not that which worrys me.

I am going to say to her that we must run our own races but because she has never run a race before she might want me to stay with her..

Any advice really appreciated.

• Options

susiebe   I am sure your sister will understand your reasons -  I would def.  not expect  anyone to 'run with me' as I would not want to feel I am holding the other person up (which I would be).   At the finish (who ever comes in first) one of you will be able to applaud and cheer the other one in and that to me is always a great feeling.   Well.....I nearly always finish at the back so I don't get to do that  anymore  image  but it is nice to be met at the end by someone you love.

Good Luck  for you and your sis tomorrow.

Kate  -  A doctor told me pretty much the same as LM.  Just take it slowly,  relax about your running and try not to worry too much 

Diet  not going in the right direction  LM!   - I  will have  try harder.   Running along the beach is not as fun as it sounds,  have done a few beach runs  now and the wind can be very unkind      image  

Hope you get a result on sunday....this is quite a big race isn't it with loads of entrants?      Go for it !!!!! 

Take Care all  xx 

• Options

Susie - I would just tell your sis why you want to run by yourself. I'm sure she'll understand - she probably wouldn't want to hold you up but has seen how much you're enjoying running and fancies a go herself.

MRF - I've been reallllly good with the diet but the scales just aren't budging! Very frustrating indeed! I'm persevering though, albeit sulking.

Just been for a very short and slow "recovery" run. I never got the point of that, but my muscles were aching SO much after not stretching on Sunday and then getting freezing cold, I thought I'd give it a go. 1.3 miles at a slow pace, followed by walking to cool down and a load of stretching. Feeling much better now!

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday image

• Options

I went for my first run in ages - finally plucked up the courage and did a couple of miles on the treadmill with my dodgy knee.  It was ok but its going to take a while to get back to level I was at.