Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

Howdo Lotty! She'd been 'lurking' guys image.

Well chuffed that we've been attributed with the rise and rise of Lotty B2, but really folks . . . it all does come from within - top lass lotty so let's keep her imageimage

Aitch has her own page on the SP website - Aitch, can I steal more photos from FB then I can put them in to a slide show on the page and I've even worked out how to upload music if you have a favourite number?!!!

I'm decorating, actually I skived off after he final coat of emulsion to go out carpet hunting and came back with a chest of draws image. They are lovely though - I'm always loath to spend money new furniture and spotted a lovely antique - feel a tad ripped off but couldn't haggle any lower than I did (which wasn't much) then thought, ah sod it, they'll fit perfectly so I took the plunge. Now to start on the eggshelling. Then I'll head out on me bike coz I'm benched for a week. image

• Options

Afternoon all! image

Welcome, Lotty! image  I must have met you at the swim coaching last week, then. image

Your achievements in getting over the stroke are really impressive.  Good luck with Matlock. image

Ace news about Smiley Paces Northern Running Guide feature, Moz! image I wish I could get out for stuff like that but a) I'm not around in the day, b) I missed the boat with the running vests and c) I'm really not running at the mo. image

Hope to get along for the next social if I can though. image

Enjoyed the SPers' swim session last week - thanks for organising that one, Bex. image 

Swimming seems to be the only cardio activity I can do without bother now, although I do find myself getting out of breath very easily.  I've been doing some spin classes, but am having to take them pretty easy to avoid getting too hot.

I've dropped the size of the weights I lift as I'm finding that more tiring, and am gradually having to adapt the core/abs stuff I'm doing as the bump grows (although it still just looks like I've put a bit of weight on right now...).  Still keeping as active as I can though, but missing the running. image

Sorry to hear about the foot and the bag, Aitch. ((( )))

Hope the rest of the rabble are alright on here! image

• Options
    Welcome Lotty image

I have a friend whose son had a stroke at 18 and he is also doing marvellously well - you must be really proud of all your progress! I also have lots of weight to lose and a long way to go, and I'm contending with a few health issues at the moment too - fun sn't it?! Stick with Mozzy, but be careful. She's quite likely to sign you up for a triathlon or something image.
    x
  • Options
    Len, read lottys intro again.

Way too late image

Moz has got her signed up for the matlock tri.

• Options

Lotty'll be signed up to Outlaw before she knows what's happened! image

I, on the other, hand, am not doing Outlaw next year.

• Options
    Lady Pineapple wrote (see)

She's thinking about it image
  • Options

Welcome, Lotty! image  I must have met you at the swim coaching last week, then. image

Your achievements in getting over the stroke are really impressive.  Good luck with Matlock. image

Thanks LP - yes I was the random 'lurker' in the entrance way that was waiting to be let into the pool! Was a good session wasn't it?? Thanks to Bex

Welcome Lotty image I have a friend whose son had a stroke at 18 and he is also doing marvellously well - you must be really proud of all your progress! I also have lots of weight to lose and a long way to go, and I'm contending with a few health issues at the moment too - fun sn't it?! Stick with Mozzy, but be careful. She's quite likely to sign you up for a triathlon or something image. x

Hi Len! Its just a case of looking forward and trying not to focus on what you can't do (at that point in time), but concentrate on what you can do now that you couldn't do previously. The weight issue gets me down alot but I'm getting there and if I can do something about it by doing an activity I enjoy then that makes it a lot better!

Runningowl is right - Mozzy has already worked her magic and I'm signed up to the Matlock Tri - dread to think what I'll be committing myself to next!!

Thanks for the friendly welcome folks - much appreciated!!

• Options
    OMG Lotty, how did I miss that?! LOL! I should have known, shouldn't I?! If she mentions "Outlaw", Just Say No! image

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

She's thinking about it image

Mozzy - I think my words were 'not next year, but maybe 2013',  'Never say never' & 'let me do a sprint tri first' !!!!

Your power of persuasion is immense!!!

• Options
    Len 2 wrote (see)
    OMG Lotty, how did I miss that?! LOL! I should have known, shouldn't I?! If she mentions "Outlaw", Just Say No! image
    !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Len 2 wrote (see)
    OMG Lotty, how did I miss that?! LOL! I should have known, shouldn't I?! If she mentions "Outlaw", Just Say YES! image
    Nice one Len . . . I'll put you on my list.
  • Options
    Mozzy-good job she is not a drug dealer like Becky.

as jammo said 'just say NO!'

Lol
  • Options
    Mozz, my bike has a wicker basket and a brass bell on the front!! It's NOT made for tri's. And neither am I lol..

Seriously though, you don't need a job in research, you need a job in sales that pays in commission, you'd be raking it in!!

• Options
    Len 2 wrote (see)
    Mozz, my bike has a wicker basket and a brass bell on the front!! It's NOT made for tri's. And neither am I lol.. Seriously though, you don't need a job in research, you need a job in sales that pays in commission, you'd be raking it in!!
    I was a time share tout in Tenerife many years ago. I did pretty well to be fair! image
  • Options
    Anyone ever claimed on travel insurance?
  • Options
    Evenin all!
    great to have u on the forum lotty image r u doing smiley brick session on sun? I've ridden matlock course now so can give a bit more info!

Just waitin for len, we're going for a little shuffle away from the bench.

Aitch -i've claimed, got gassed & mugged in poland! Also stayed in bulgaria as carer on nic's insurance when she had surgery, what do u want to know?
  • Options
    Just wondered how much they generally take off for 'wear and tear' and 'loss of value' of stuff. It's looking like being over £600 worth of stuff and wondered how much, realistically, of that I will get back....

I have a running question too!!

Foot is starting to feel better and I will probably start running in a week or so and do some cycling too. My next goal is a sub 2 hour half. Not sure whether I should attempt this this year, or wait til next year and have the winter getting weight down, running and base training. Or whether to use the IM training as a base and do some speed work then do Worksop at the end of October? I don't want to push it and do too much to soon, but then also don't want to waste the base I have! Oh it's all too hard to get my head around! What do you good people think?
  • Options

Hi Becky

Yes - I'm coming on Sunday morning - where abouts are we meeting? The layby car park just before the main Fairholmes car park?? 8.30am??

Looking forward to it - in a weird kind of way! Although I'm really not looking forward to the biking section! Will sound you out on Sunday about the route - I think I've got a fair idea of hwere it goes and will try and ride it sometime before the event just to give me one less thing to worry/think about!!

• Options

try to buildyour race miles up first. see what the foot will take at your race pace. 13.1miles is a long way if something goes wrong. 

5k-parkrun

10k -  great yorkshire ripoff, sheffield 10k(10 10 10)  or cusworth

then attempt an half -  clowne if you can get a place

• Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

could provisionally target Worksop? I've got no idea how long it takes to recover from an IM, but its a great race. My first half and where I got my half PB.

Its halloween themed again this year image

• Options

Hi Lotty! We met at the SP  speed session and then again the park run the day after...ooh and i've just accepted a FB request from you too! You truely are an inspiration - i had no idea about the stoke when I met you...wow you're now one of my heroes along with Aitch!

ooh Aitch - i'd love to go on a social ride at some point! though i warn you i'm still pretty weak on the bike....but at least i enjoy it! i'm also struggling with "what to do next"....really not sure!

gutted i'm not here for the SP brick session sunday....partly because it would be fun and partly because i could really do with it before Matlock!!

• Options

Are we having an SSC bike ride out in to the peaks sometime then? Last time we did that Bekys spoke broke and Aitch had just run a marathon, so they ended up sitting in the pub whilst I cycled the 20 miles home to pick up the car!!!

Morning dudes and dudettes image

• Options

Glad you've posted Lotty, my fellow Hathersage dudette image

Amazing how far you've come Lotty & I feel a real connection on our quest to get fitter between us because of our medical history if that makes sense?

Any idea where we're going to cycling tomorrow? I shall be out running later & may attempt a speed session. My goal is now to stop being a plodder at the back. Hopefully I'll do my first trunce with you on Monday & you can show me round image What sort of time did you get?

Loving the new SP FB page Moz image

Aitch hope whatever you get is a decent amount. What sort of things have you lost?

Hows everyone else today?

• Options

Morning all. I was looking for the Sheffield Social thread but I seem to have found my way to some sort of cycling forum instead! image

Sounds like everyone is gearing up for Matlock, really must try and get at least one swim in before next week! Are there any post Matlock plans or will we all just congregate in the Costa as per usual?! Actually thinking about it, there's never enough tables in there maybe we should go somewhere else if folks are up for it??

Welcome aboard Lotty! image

• Options

Morning!

LS21 wrote (see)
    Interesting mile time from GIRO too. Be interesting to see how you fare in the next few months. At our Club Mile Champs only one person went sub-5. In fact 2 of our quick lads ran 5'0x, despite both of them doing 16'4x for 5k within 10 days of the mile race. They've both ran sub-35 min 10ks too, so I reckon a few people will be checking local results to see if the improvement translates to other distances.

Maybe your Barnsley miles are more uphill? Is Woodbourne definitely 400m? Seriously though, I can see GIRO `smashing it` pretty soon!

McStu wrote (see)

Morning all. I was looking for the Sheffield Social thread but I seem to have found my way to some sort of cycling forum instead! image

I feel disenfranchised as a man with no bike! image

Welcome Lotty!

Good luck for Matlock all! Think I`m doing a 10k in Stockport this weekend with BiL. Should be good!

Go SPs!

• Options

Ok while we're on bikes, a maintenance question for anyone in the know...

When do you know when to change your tyres? I got a puncture on my last ride and it prompted me to take a look at my tyres. Neither seem to have any flat spots and the tyre walls seem ok (no thread showing) but they do both have a fair few little rips / chips (nothing more than a couple mm's) i.e. where little bits of grit have got into the tyre. Would folks suggest changing the tyres or can I still get some more miles out of them??

Cheers!

• Options
    Going back to the mile time. yes the track at woodborne road is 400m long with a little plate 9m back from finish with 1mile start on. There was a strong tail wind coming down the finish straight which helped. i got pace right with a 1.17,1.15,1.15 + the most painful 400m in 1.12to finish.

only had one more go and a first lap(409m) of 1.09 cost me because it was atleast 8second too fast and i blew up end of second lap.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ET. hopefully i can convert current forminto massive PBs in coming months but i am consciouse of peaking too soon before 11th September and the isle of axholme half.

next peak after that NEEDS to be end of November time with abbey dash and Percy pud two week apart.
  • Options
    Groan - Becky nearly killed me last night imageimage

But honestly, I wouldn't have managed half of our 2.65 miles without her. Bring it ON! I have to get some fitness back asap. Feel like i have made a start though, so that's one mental hurdle out of the way image.
    x

• Options

Hopefully you'll minds in a better place now Len. I know forceing myself to race the other week, was the best thing for me. My mind gets in the way far too much

• Options
    McStu wrote (see)

Sounds like everyone is gearing up for Matlock, really must try and get at least one swim in before next week! Are there any post Matlock plans or will we all just congregate in the Costa as per usual?! Actually thinking about it, there's never enough tables in there maybe we should go somewhere else if folks are up for it??

Not me - I'm on the running bench and workingvery hard onmy love affair with my turbo trainer. It's a bit of a love/hate thing to be fair. Crikey I'll be glad whenthe kids go back to school.

OMG image Am I supposed to change my tyres?

Len 2 wrote (see)

Groan - Becky nearly killed me last night imageimage But honestly, I wouldn't have managed half of our 2.65 miles without her. Bring it ON! I have to get some fitness back asap. Feel like i have made a start though, so that's one mental hurdle out of the way image. x
    Read that as 26.5! thought God almighty, whatever happend tp the 10% rule?!!!