Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options
    I must have missed you at the gym ET! I went for a massage earlier. New levels of pain! He got into my foot and thinks it IS PF image Said it was full of scar tissue and has ordered me to rest and golf ball roll it. Hope it makes a move sharpish!

Thanks Gaz image
  • Options
    Can't really take predictors as any good.

Potentially could run 1:20:00-1:22:00 if things go right on the day but not going to be near 1:16:00. is axholme as flat as reported?

• Options

Morning!

runningowl wrote (see)
    Can't really take predictors as any good. Potentially could run 1:20:00-1:22:00 if things go right on the day but not going to be near 1:16:00. is axholme as flat as reported?

Yeah, the predictor had your  5k and 10k to be a lot faster too from the mile. Axholme is very flat, nice race. Last year, weather was atrocious and very windy in the laster 3 miles which were tough. So weather is only hassle tbh.

Aitch - yeah I was there about midday. I did think your tennis ball might need to be replaced by a golf one!

• Options
    Morning everyone!

I came home last night, despite needing to be back in London this morning - so so worth it for last nights bike ride! Got in at 5, on the bikes by 5:15...stunning late afternoon ride into the peaks. I'm addicted! Can't wait for tomorrow - hoping to go over 40miles for the first time.

Running wise, it's been difficult to fit in anything of length at the moment, so I'm going with quality...lots of tempo runs and intervals. 2 weeks to Matlock! Eek! Anyone got their race info yet? Any advice for the transitions? I've got no idea what I'm supposed to do!
  • Options
    Aitch...I hope the foot heals soon! Hope you're back up and running again soon!

• Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

rest day yesterday, so I cycled to work. Enjoyed it apart from the bin wagon that misjudged the overtake, realised he didn't have space to safely complete the overtake before the traffic island and decided to sharply pull in towards the kerb instead. Nice how they think you can ride in 6" of road space!! Strange how time expands when you've got one eye on the left hand kerb and one eye on the wall of steel approaching to your right......

So, anyway, apart from that an enjoyable ride.

That enjoyable, I've done it again today. But today's not a rest day. So what to do about a run?

I got an idea last night and got everything ready. Going to try to turn it into some sort of brick session. Running gears laid out. 3 mins to get changed and out for a run. Lets see what this 'jelly leg's' is all about.

• Options
    CharlotteJenks wrote (see)
    Any advice for the transitions? I've got no idea what I'm supposed to do!

Drying your feet after the swim will cause previously calm people who are watching to start hurling abuse at you.

Cheap Planet X jerseys for winter riding. I've got a different Planet X long sleeve jersey which is very nice so I'm tempted with one of these. They do seem to make decent kit.

• Options

Morning all, back from me hols now.

Was a bit of a wash out unfortunately! Got a really nice view of the Arran and the mountains on the way over on the ferry but that's about the last we saw of it! Arrived mid afternoon on Tuesday, pitched our tent and had a nice dinner but when we got in our tent that night it started raining and literally never stopped for the next 2 days! We had bike rides, runs and wilds swims planned but as it was blowing a gale and we couldn't see the mountains none of our outdoor plans really happened. There's only so many cafes and castles you can go to on an island that size so after a couple days we decided to cut our losses and get an early ferry back! So we came back on Thursday and went to see my folks for a few days and enjoy the luxury of a roof over our heads! To be fair we had a great time there and managed a long bike ride and a couple runs so we managed to salvage the situation! Will just have to go back someday and hope for good weather, from what I saw on the ferry it looks lovely!

Back home and in the usual routine now, looking forward to Sedbergh Hills at the weekend. Got a call from teh Ben Nevis race organiser this morning a couple places have opened up for the race (3rd of Sept) and they are trying to fill them. Gutted as I would have loved to do that race but am already busy that weekend. image

CJ - glad to hear you're enjoying the biking, what bike did you end up getting in the end?? Not had any info through re Matlock yet either, would expect to hear something soon though!

Aitch! - amazing race report, truly inspirational! image

• Options
    One Pace Baz wrote (see)
    CharlotteJenks wrote (see)
    Any advice for the transitions? I've got no idea what I'm supposed to do!

Drying your feet after the swim will cause previously calm people who are watching to start hurling abuse at you.

Cheap Planet X jerseys for winter riding. I've got a different Planet X long sleeve jersey which is very nice so I'm tempted with one of these. They do seem to make decent kit.

Nah they're shit. I'm sworn of them after my recent experience with them! image

• Options
    Aitch, drop me an email if you want the complete list of everything I did to bring my PF back under control!
  • Options

Not read back ptoperly, but very quickly:

Alex is flogging off his summer kit - bought 2 tops at massive discount so get in there quick dudes!

CJ - Are you around for the brick session on Sunday? We'll talk through the race/transitions then and a few of us are then heading out to Matlock to recce the bike route.

Matlock - Bike route the same as previous years with a little added on to and from the new lesiure centre so approx 11.5 miles. Now only one transitions area (at the leisure centre). Run route not yet confirmed - different to previous years and will be fully agreed by the end of this week.

Lotty - show yourself woman! image

• Options
    Right. I need to start running again. How mental is a run/walk schedule going to send me, do you reckon? I'm guessing at Utterly Loopy after about 2 weeks image. I'm starting in the morning. Can you all send good vibes to my knee, please?
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Garry N wrote (see)
    Mozzy, Alex? image
    Soz Gaz, La Bicicleta
  • Options
    Bugger, I'm not around Sunday...well I think my train gets in at 11:30pm - perhaps a bit late!
  • Options
    Stu - glad you managed to fit in some sort of training despite the weather!

I got a Raleigh aura in the end...so glad I decided to make the investment!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

On mi hols at mo - few more days of a cracking 2 week job in the New Forest image Had to sort a bit of stuff re online banking, so just nipped into an Internet Cafe to sort and thought I'd have a gander in here.

Some good stuff going on. Highlight being Aitch's effort in becoming an Iron Man Woman. Not bad that imageimage

Interesting mile time from GIRO too. Be interesting to see how you fare in the next few months. At our Club Mile Champs only one person went sub-5. In fact 2 of our quick lads ran 5'0x, despite both of them doing 16'4x for 5k within 10 days of the mile race. They've both ran sub-35 min 10ks too, so I reckon a few people will be checking local results to see if the improvement translates to other distances.

Sorry Stu's Arran trip was a bit of a washout, but redeemed by some nice family stuff it seems image

Back in full Mara prep this end. Did a steady 23 miler yesterday in 3'03. First time I've ran for 3 hours or more since White Peak in 2009 that!
  • Options

Len - I'm on the run walk thing at the mo too, as I have to concentrate on keeping foot turned in.
    I'll drop u a message & see if we can meet up to relieve the boredom with a bit of a gossip image

Enjoy your hols Lee!  Sorry the weather want rubbish for yours STu - hope it's better for my little trip to Skye in a few weeks.

I'm a lttle bit achy today (in a good way).  Did body pump for first time in 18 months, as I figured if I can't do other stuff I'll do strength work.... very intersting, I used to sweat buckets, I didn't break a sweat in the class last night - otherwise pretty standard, same weights as I always used to start at.... Lets see if I can get back to beating some of the menfolk in how much I can lift on the squat track!

Off for a little pootle on the bike now, hope the weather holds....

• Options
    pissing british summer
  • Options

Hi all!  Lots of cycling going on for a running thread!! image

ET - Good spot in the magazine, I was edited a bit cos I got a bit carried away describing the marathon! The Humpty race was a lovely course around Reedham in Norfolk, not too flat either.  Unfortunately it was the week after a bout of tonsilitis and it was about 26deg and no shade so it was a PW for me...  Jon almost had to call over the St John's ambulance person for his brother who had raced too hard and paid the price with dehydration but recovered ok.  Nice pint glass as a memento which made a change from a Tshirt or medal!

Feet are happier this week thanks to the good folk at Accelerate!  PF in right foot is feeling tons better despite doing a 9miler on sunday thanks to some new trainers (Meadowhead - Bradway - Holmsfield - Dronfield - Coal Aston - home).  Fingers crossed for GNR.  I actually enjoy running again after feeling a bit flat over the last few months!

Happy running/cycling/swimming all!

Linds

ps anyone know when the percy pud entry forms are due online to print off?  Have promised my BiL to let him know.

• Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Brick session image

Pushed it on the bike ride home. Saw a few others on MTBs, so it was time for some SCR - I won every time image

off the bike, changed and running in 3 mins. Legs felt better than I expected. They didn't feel great and I thought I was going slower than I was, but checking the garmin made me realise the high bike cadence had transferred to my running

happy

• Options

aww Aitch! i loved reading your race report image truely inspirational stuff!! you really are a hero!!

sorry i missed your bday Mozzy....I hope you did something fun to treat yourself after the swim!

i think some of you have seen on FB....I have a road bike! best thing i've ever bought (probably) i absolutely love it! I can't wait to get home Wednesday and go for a long ride all afternoon. can't believe Matlock is so close! finally starting to feel a little better in the pool though...and shockingly really enjoyed my swim a few days ago!

right, time to man up, find a way out of this festival and go for a run in the rain. no excuse really, i don't need to look presentable until around 4:30!

• Options
    argh! again!!! sorry!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Morning image

CJ - glad you're enjoying the bike! I'll be doing more social rides in the Winter so we'll have to get out together!

Stu - sorry to hear your hol was a bit of a washout! But glad you got some family time in image

Top bricking Garry!

Bex - I am going to get back into doing some strength work over the winter too!

Foot feels the best it has done since the race, so that's good. Not going to attempt any running just yet. Riding at the weekend though.

Still no news on the lost bag image Just trying to make a list of everything that was in there and prices. Looking at over £600 worth of kit and clothes. I'm such a retard!!
  • Options

Lotty - show yourself woman! image

OK Mozzy - I'm here!!  I've been a lurker for a few weeks but hadn't been 'brave' enough to post, but after seeing Kate yesterday I was told I needed to get myself posting!

So, here I am! My name's Lotty & I live in Hathersage (sounds like an intro at an AA meeting!) & I joined the Smiley ladies about 6 weeks ago.

So a bit about me - I'm fairly new to running - 3 years ago I had a stroke (at the age of 28), which I made a full recovery from, but was left with rubbish balance. This meant that I wasn't able to ride my mountain bike (without falling off LOTS!) and as a result of not being very mobile for many months I piled on a lot of weight. Last June I decided that I'd have a go at runing, having never been a runner at all before. I joined a council run group and met with a group of ladies in Chesterfield and went 'running' once a week. I tried to run on my own once a week too, but this was a bit hit and miss. I gradually improved though and managed to run my first 10km at the start of the year. Progress was slow though and I knew that I had to put more in in order to get more out! So 6 weeks I finally plucked up the courage to get in touch with the Smiley Paces and I haven't looked back since. I've since run two park runs (and PB'd at both), been to two Smiley Thursday night sessions, signed up to do the Matlock Tri, been to a DVH track session, run my first Trunce race, attended a swimming coaching session & generally met a fabulous bunch of ladies!!

I've got a long way to go; a lot of weight still to loose, and massive improvements to be made with my running, but I'm feeling positive and motivated and am looking forward to more fun times ahead!

You guys seem like such a friendly bunch & I hope that you don't mind me gate crashing!!

• Options
    Welcome Lotty. image

Sad story but you seem to be doing well now. if you dont mind me asking but what caused the stroke at such a young age? You don't have to say if you don't want to, i am just curious.

Probably done some of your races at the same time. ie. trunce, parkrun....

sounds like the smiley paces have helped loads. good group of lasses..

well most of the time. Mozzy can be scary when menopausal. image
  • Options
    Hi Lotty image Welcome to the madhouse!
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome!

yes the SP's have been amazing and really given me lots to keep me motivated. I would never have even considered doing the Tri if it wasn't for them (well Mozzy really!) - I'm looking forward to it but really nervous about the biking bit - my weakest link by a long way!

Hopefully I'll be able to start putting some faces to names soon and with a bit of luck see folks at events coming up. I'm planning on doing the Trunce next Monday and hopefully park run on the 2nd Sept.

Thankfully (if thats the right thing to say??) my stroke wasn't caused by my poor health - it was actually triggered by some medication I was taking for another condition that I'd been diagnosed with. It was a side effect that was declared on the drug info sheet (but one of those 1 in a million chances), but wasn't something I'd really paid any attention to.

Was a tough year, but I worked hard and came out of the other side - there was no way I was going to be seen out in public using a zimmer frame at the age of 28!!! Onwards and upwards!!

• Options

Thanks Aitch!

You're account of your IM was amazing - I read it with a tear in my eye - truly inspirational stuff!!

• Options
    Wow you really are living proof that having a stroke young doesn't mean 'game over'. Great stuff! SPs are ace so stick with them and you will come on leaps and bounds! Sounds like you have a great attitude. Glad to hear a full recovery was made!

Thank you - I really had a top day out! image