Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options
    runningowl wrote (see)
    What is a big Milage week for everyone? had this conversion at club other week and got thinking bout what ET just said and wondered. not a who's dick is bigger by the way.

I average about 22-25m per week, so 30 would be a big week for me.

No comment on the 2nd challenge image.

Edit - I'm off with the Didds family to Devon for 2 weeks tomorrow morning so will flit in and out when i can image  I'll bring you all some cyber devon scones with jam and clotted cream back.

• Options
    You may have seen it before but go on youtube, search 'the crawl 1997'

interesting watch for anyone thinking of doing outlaw or just done an ironman. image
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! Sorry it was so long.... It was a long race though, so I thought I needed to capture it all! image

For anyone considering ironman I would say DO IT. It's incredible and the race isn't as hard as you think it's going to be, but only if you put the training in. It's the training that's the hard bit, not the race!

I was running anything from 15-25 miles a week during IM training, but that's on 3 runs so doesn't really count. Cycling mileage pretty high and swim K'age about 5 or 6k.

I am feeling a bit aimless at the mo. I need to get something booked in I think. Saying that, I am really struggling with a pain in my foot, so need to get that sorted first. Thinking it could be PF, so icing and rolling on a tennis ball. My only other 'injury' is my big toe nail which is black and about to drop off. It's pretty sore. My legs feel brilliant! So that's good image
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Hi Aitch,

Moz mentioned something about your training schedule  (pages back) Don't suppose you've an e-version for an interested party image

• Options
    haileunlikely wrote (see)

morning image

nice pic 'Oooooh Betty'and well done with the PB, how is Mr BB, not heard from him for a while?

haha....oooh Betty image  MrBB ok & been sorting out his running. Even came biking with me today & might tomorrow image

After my tumble on Sunday I've just biked all week but today I ran straight after for about 2.4 miles & felt great. Was really worried I may of done something bad cos it hurt so much & had bruising both sides of my foot. Biking 12ish miles or more tomorrow & then MrBB & I will run 5-6 miles Sunday all being well

Aitch...fab race report & you know what? I'd love to do something like that & I'm not going to say I can't. It would be my greatest achievement apart from producing 6 humans image

• Options
    Aitch - I think you should coach someone else to do an IM! (disclaimer: not me, obviously!!). You'd be brilliant image.

Sooo - Len Health Update number 6 million and 8. Knee - great! Seems all groovy again (well, creaky and probably likely to never be "right" again, but it's pain-free!). Toe - also all well and good again. So really, no leg injuries at all. But... spent some time in Jessops recently, and need a bit of gynae surgery early in September. Sigh. Still, one day I might be normal again! Also, the bastard tablets they have me on have two major side effects - depression and weight gain. And I have to keep taking those. So I've been in better shape (she said, laughing hysterically) and I've been more motivated (ditto) and I'm slightly anxious about being a patient (okay, I HATE being a patient, and that's before I consider the general anaesthetic...) and I'm probably going to have to re-start my running career by doing walk 1 minute, run 1 minute.... but I'm hanging in there and I'd still like to do a Half. And be about 3 dress sizes smaller. And not be rattling with fecking pills..

Oh and the surgery clashes rather badly with my bloody re-scheduled parachute jump, so I'm going to have to re-re-schedule that, if they'll let me. Arses.

Am developing Mozzy-esque Tourettes too image

x
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭
    My uncles got really bad financial problems.

He has both Tourettes and a swear box. image
  • Options
    Len 2 wrote (see)
     Am developing Mozzy-esque Tourettes too image x

How very fucking dare you! image

Aw Len you poor thing. Chin up though - Sheils will be on hand to visit and in even more good news I no longer work there so I won't!

Re my leg issue - pretty sure it's tight muscles pressing on a nerve - unpleasant, but fingers crossed it won't bench me. Decided to bin the sub 20 PR plan for now oherwise I'll start getting frantic and depressed, decided on a 'keep running on mimimal mileage' plan and see if it improves gradually whilst I'm still running. Hit DVS with me Mozster yesterday and pal'd him for a 2 lap warm up - felt a bit nervey and tight but not too worrying so went back yesterday evening for a reduced track session. Did 4 x 1k intervals - didn't push too hard, kept them around 4.10 then a mile at around half mara pace and that was it. Resisted the temptation to do more and came home to do a load of stretching and pilates. Possibly slightly better today - certainly no worse image. I find the track is very forgiving if I have a niggle - flat works really well as I can hold my form and the surface is nice and spongy so I'll probably be going there a lot in the next few weeks! Bike today and 6 mile run along the Monsal trail planned for Sunday - fingers crossed.

• Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

"Don't run before you can walk".

So why am I looking at Ironman races, having never even been to a sprint tri?!image

<edit, apart from doing water safety cover over ten years ago>

• Options
    Garry N wrote (see)

"Don't run before you can walk".

So why am I looking at Ironman races, having never even been to a sprint tri?!image

<edit, apart from doing water safety cover over ten years ago>

For the same reason I'm considering it, when I'm currently teaching myself to walk again....

I did 4min slow run, 1 min walk, for 20 mins on thurs... I covered a whopping 1.18miles!
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Its a big goal and a big commitment. £200+ entry isn't to be sneezed at, neither is the new bike I'd need.

I'd like to get a look at a decent training schedule, find out exactly what I'd be letting myself in for. I'm kinda thinking sensibly I'd target one or two Olympics, or push for a 70.3...

• Options
    Garry my plan was loosely based on the intermediate one in the Don Fink one. I changed bits I wasn't happy with and tweeked it to suit me ie I cut a lot of the running down (he notoriously has too much running in his plans) and extended the mid-week bike to get more miles done. I'm happy to photocopy the plan and post it to you. I don't have an electronic version I'm afraid. I only have my training log, which is what I actually did. Not the full plan.
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Hi Aitch,

Is that the one out of "Be Iron Fit"?

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/61040000/61049719.JPG

You can tell its been on my mind for a bit, I got it as an Xmas pressie last year... Months before I could do a stroke of crawl
  • Options
    Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

How quick does such as Outlaw fill up?

I'm kinda thinking if I do go with this it'll give me a year. 6 months to work on my weaker areas

1 swimming

2 Bike. I used to cycle to work and back. 30 mile round journey. But that doesn' t compare with the efficiency req'd for 112 miles....

Then 6 months for the actual training.image

Obviously with a wife and 3 kids, it's not just my decision.

• Options
    Bin the wife and the kids. Simples!
  • Options

Just watched (finally) the adventure show with the Isle of Jura fell race on.

isle of jura fell race

looks VERY tempting. Something to consider before the bob graham I have agreed to do with Steve Moran in 2013. 

• Options
    Yes Garry, that's the one. I did 2 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs a week ad that suited me fine. I peaked at 16ish hours. Be careful with Fink. He puts too much running in and I don't think enough cycling. I did a 45 min turbo, a midweek outdoor ride of between 1.5 and 3hrs (built up over the plan) and a long one on Sat. Run-wise after the base bit I did an easy 45 min, an hour with speed stuff and a long one on Sun. During the later stages one of the runs was moved to the end of the long ride to make some long brick sessions. They weren't in the plan but I know they helped me loads.
  • Options

Morning all!

Garry - I'm thinking along the same lines as H (and hoping to pick her brains some more)
    Running is my weak point, but also most likely to injure me, so I'm going all out on the cycling in the hope that the fresher I get to the run, the better.  I know it's not going to be fast & am totally prepared to walk the whole thing if needed,

For reference, there's a 13 week plan here http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm
    On the basis of that & advice from pirate mentor I bought Gale's book - I'm hoping to follow her 26 week plan.

• Options

Morning all!

GI - Mileage-wise, I`ve been running every other day since April when an injury appeared (and is still there really) so I`m 35 at most, usually nearer to 20. It seems to have been going ok as I`ve tried to keep plenty of quality in there and make sure every run has a purpose. This week I`ve done a 12.5, a 6 and a 9.5 so I`ll run today too. Hoping to do Leek half next week but too short on miles to get a good time realistically. What time did you do your mile in?

Anyone doing Newark or Askern today? 2 high profile, local-ish races. Wish I  was as the weather is surprisingly amenable. Races I`ve done at Fleetwood, Owston and Burnley have all been really tough recently with hot weather.

Who`s doing Dublin? image

• Options
    Mile yesterday-Quit after 3 laps at 4min 20 due would have needed to run the last lap in 38sec to beat the 4:59 mile i ran on 3rd aug and 35second to beat Martin yelling.

Problems i had yesterday were already ran 38miles this week so having lactic acid in my legs after only 200m wasn't good which lead to negativaty mentally.

Steve 'windy' millar ran 5:51 which for someone who as only just broken 21min at parkrun is an immense time. image stamina definataly his problem.
  • Options
    runningowl wrote (see)
    Mile yesterday-Quit after 3 laps at 4min 20 due would have needed to run the last lap in 38sec to beat the 4:59 mile i ran on 3rd aug and 35second to beat Martin yelling. Problems i had yesterday were already ran 38miles this week so having lactic acid in my legs after only 200m wasn't good which lead to negativaty mentally. Steve 'windy' millar ran 5:51 which for someone who as only just broken 21min at parkrun is an immense time. image stamina definataly his problem.
    So you lost to Martin Yelling and Steve Millar?! image
  • Options
    Bloody hell you've run a sub 5 mile?! Surely you're due a 5k PB if you can run one mile under 5?

PS quitting in a ONE mike run = not cool! You've lost street cred now image
  • Options
    ET, no i lost to Martin yelling but even at the pace i was running Steve would never of caught me. I didn't just stop i waited for him to catch me then paceset him to his time.

Aitch, i have always been a fast sprinter, it is distances above i have To work at. 5K PB is just around the corner.
  • Options

Morning!

What do the predictors say, GI? I`d guess that you should be a lot quicker at all distances with improved stamina if your mile time is accurate. Mind you, there`s not a lot of point in doing proper LDRs if mile / 5 k is your goal.

• Options
    Morning image

Starting to get very frustrated with my foot. It's still hurting. I can't train (not that I probably should be at the mo), I can't walk too far without it really hurting or stand up for too long. It's really annoying! Not entirely sure what it is. Could be PF, but might just be something post IM. I don't know. Hurts though image

Back on the wagon with weight loss this morning. Want to shift 1.5st before Christmas. Think my biggest issue will be portion size. Getting used to not eating as mug again because I'm not IM training any more! The plan is to run more (when foot's better) and do lots of strength work in the gym. Some high intensity stuff will help the weight come off - I think!!
  • Options
    Present goal is sub 1:25:00 half marathon at axholme. Did first attempt at mile as early as possible in Aug so it didn't interfere too much with half training. the one on sat was to pal millar to his mile

I didn't really expect to beat mile time on Sat anyway but wanted a go.

after axholme the targets for rest of year will be cusworth 10k, SY x-country league(10k.ish), abbey dash 10k and the mighty percy pud.

parkruns are C races for now. I will be making various attempts at 5k PB for rest of year but they will be few and far between. come a long way this year so for now happy i am a better, faster and fitter than last year.
  • Options
    Hope the foot gets better really quickly Aitch. you have come further than anyone this year.
  • Options

Evening! Couldn`t decide what to do today; gym or run. Decided to do both! image

runningowl wrote (see)
    Present goal is sub 1:25:00 half marathon at axholme.

RW Time Predictor gives 1.16:10 from a 4.59 mile. Interesting even if you`re not in as good a shape now! Just shout up if you need any advice about Axholme! image

Aitch - hope foot heals soon. There was a feature on recovery footwear in RW this month. TBH I didn`t even know such a thing existed!