Options

Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Options

I went for a 11 mile run tonight at7 min pace and felt ok  i am doing a fell race on Saturday back towards the lakes i find that the week aftre i run well it tends to be 2 weeks down the line i feel tierd, but as everybody says everyone is different just listen to your body.

It can also depend on what other races you have coming up i have used it as a base for training for a 40 miler in September

• Options
    Millster - glad you like the photos - sorry I missed you.  I had a few I didn't put online - if you email me your race number i'll have a scan and if I find one i'll email it back to you - but a few I wasn't happy with the quality - but thanks for the kind comments - I appreciate it
  • Options

I found one of me on your photos city fan, and it's better than the official ones, so I will be getting in touch to order one. Thanks!

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    city fan - 965 was the magic number, and I was a vision in navy blue, if that helps image
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Ooops - didn't read your post properly.

You've now got mail image

• Options

Thanks Morgs and Pete. My body is saying don't run at the moment! Think I might go for an hours swim tomorrow - low impact stuff for a bit.

I've entered the Otley 10 mile race which is on the tenth of June but the only marathons I can see in the North over the next couple of months seem to be fell races - don't think I am ready for those yet.

What 40 miler are you doing Pete? Have you run such a long distance before? And I thought a marathon was a long one . . . !!!!!!!

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Pauline - Not much for us Northerners, I'm afraid.  Blackpool has been and gone, and the only other local marathon is probably Langdale in September. Fantastic event, but you won't get a PB, that's for sure image 
  • Options

Pauline I've hit the same problem finding  marathons in the North for my challenge of one a month, Someone on this thread suggested this site and from that I'm planing to doing the Baslow Boot Bash 13th of June. I think the next North West is  Fleetwood 13th of Sept.

I will also be doing Anglesey which I would recommend as  it's really well run, has excellent facilities, entertainment for your supporters whilst your on the run, tech tee shirt, free parking, hot meal and all for under £20.

• Options

Pete- Are you doing the High Peak 40?, I'm looking to do that.There's the Bullock Smithy too which is first Saturday in September

That was the third time I've ran Windermere,  still not cracked sub 3 on this course but I'm going to give it another go.

We picked up 2nd team prize and I picked up 3rd vet 45 so not a bad day.

• Options
    Thanks Millster and Woody - I'll keep looking. Cheers!
  • Options

Millster - cheers image

No you're right.   There is no way that the experience could be repeated, even though it was the most amazing thing to have done.
    We ran as hard as we could every day - the support was immense - the group of people involved at all levels was incredible.

And I don't think that the combination of circumstances that made it the experience that it was could be topped.
    Physically doing the event again wouldn't be the issue though.

For  me, I want to file that memory in the "This Is What I've Done In My Life" banks, to be able to look back occasionally..... and remember!

There are so many other challenges to prepare for - and so little time!  image

• Options
    Just had a read  of your Blog eL Bee it's addictive reading fantastic.
  • Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    w2r - I'd echo your comments re Anglesey - it is a very well organised and is excellent value (a bit of a contrast to Windemere!!). The course is, in my opinion, as tough as Windemere and the views across to Snowdonia can be something else. That said I won't be doing it this year
  • Options

Evening all

Just been reading back thru the posts.

Well done everyone in your efforts on Sunday.

Im tempted to make a return to Windemere next year,depends how I get on at Edinburgh in just over a weeks time.image

• Options

The 40 miler i am doing is the High peak 40 can recommend it highly did it last year and loved it so doing it again this year.

Jonah you had a great run my hamstring is still playing me up, i met a few lads at the HP40 last year that did the Bullock smithy and found it took a lot out of there legs just 2 weeks before the HP then its over to Rotherham for the 50 miler in October for me but i can recomend the High Peak its a great run and not a eyeballs out race

• Options
    Ta Mick...Good luck at Edinburgh btw image
  • Options
    Nee Bother Morgs......well done on the pb.Ower the moon for you.imageimage
  • Options

Pete- I've ran the Bullock the last 2 years it's a fantastic race/walk, looking at doing the HP 40 too.

I'm having a go at doing the Bob Graham in June so that might put paid to everything else.

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Haway the lads!  I bet your looking forward to this Sunday more than next Sunday image.

Funny that you should be thinking of coming back to Windy next year.  I've just registered my interest in doing Edinburgh next year, but I don't think I would be man enough to do both.  I'm not as tough as you Geordie lads!

• Options
    Jonah i am assisting in a BG attempt on the 13th of June when are you thinking of trying yours
  • Options
    Pete- 19th June
  • Options
    Good luck with that attempt look forward to seeing the back of you again if you do the HP40 dont think i will be at the BS going to do the osmo in july
  • Options
    Well I did it, 4:37.  Bib no 438.  My first marathon, enjoyed it, had some injuries that slowed me down a little but hey crossed the finish with my 4.5 yr old son, what could be better!!
  • Options

Message from the Race Director:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions following this year's Brathay Windermere Marathon. The comments highlighting the problems we encountered with car parking, access and egress from the site have been particularly useful. As a result we have reviewed our approach to car parking and have worked with Brathay's landowner to make improvements for 2010. The result is that we've developed a solution that uses a field adjacent to the Brathay Estate as the main event car park. This will greatly improve access and remove the conjestion created by cars leaving the event sharing the same section of road with runners completing the Marathon. We are confident that this alternative arrangement will resolve many of the problems encountered this year.

Thank you for your support of Brathay Hall Trust. The funds raised by this event go to improve the lives of some of the UK's most disadvantaged children and youn people.

Best Wishes, Scott

• Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    That's great news Scott! The parking situation (And particularly trying to get out of the place) was really my only gripe on a very well organised event (Apart from pulling my calf muscle at 16 miles on another one of those darn hills!)

• Options

Good news Scott - thanks for listening and for letting us know.  I suspect part of the issue this year was that loads of people felt the need to leave at the same time (just as the rain statrted) but that will be a risk every year up here.

You do realise, of course, that you will get complaints next year from people who think the car park is too far away from the main finish area.  You'll never please everybodyimage 

• Options

I'm in - my first marathon - so much training to do now!!

Just how hilly is this course then?!

• Options

Bad news BMJ...............................you aint in, cos this event was over six months agoimage.

The good news is there's a thriving thread for the 2010 event, but I can't do links so you'll need to find it yourself. 

Oh, and two other things, well done and good luck for your first marathon - you've picked a cracker, and finally - I know that no-one likes a smart ass, so feel free to ignore me image.

• Options

I feel suitably ashamed