Options

The 100 press-ups programme

Comments

• Options

Week 5 - Day 3 - Column 3 (off 45 secs recovery)

20-20-24-24-20-20-22....51 (min 50)

I'm happy to say I found this session much easier than the last one and went through the sets with relative ease. On to the max test at the end and started to struggle at 45 but it was never in doubt that I'd get the 50 required.

I move on to the progress test at the end of week 5 hoping for at least 60, with increasing confidence of eventually making the 100.

• Options

Thanks, Roslyn, I managed my 10 km on Sunday inside my target of 50 mins at 49:40 and that was entirely on heartrate (without looking at the clock) so I'm glad that worked out.

Started Wk 3 day 1 col 3 and struggled to complete the final up to 20 but just about managed it this Tue am instead of Mon pm. As you say, it is the middle that is suffering or trembling most; I have to stick my bum in the air for a slight rest a time or two in the final set image

It's nice to do something that is different from running longer distances on a marathon programme. I never do anything "artificial" like weight-training (weird mental block about that). In some ways it is a joke calling it training - I do the pressups while stirring the onions, cooking tea, etc., in the kitchen image In some other ways it is the hardest thing I do and no joke at all. In the running one approaches what is physically possible gradually, and that might take hours, whereas this is down to the second. I can feel quite knackered for an hour or two after the pressups and I was initially surprised about that.

• Options

Yeah I'm the same Steve, all I do is run and swim, you'll never see me in the gym so this challenge has been surprising at times.

I set myself the goal of 60 in my Week 5 progress test and despite a wobble around 50 I took a second to compose myself and made it to 62.

The real hard work begins now as I enter the final week in column 3. I'm expecting a tough day 1 as usual but confident for days 2 and 3 before the Final Test.

• Options

Week 6 - Day 1 - Column 3 (off 60 secs recovery)

45-55-35-30....40 (min 55) image

I was happy to make it through the sets today at my first attempt but I knew I didn't have enough left to get the minimum 55 at the end. I just managed to push up the 40th then stood up for a few seconds before knocking out another 15. I'll have to try again in a couple of days.

• Options

hi all

have had alook at the 100 press up program and decided to give it a go.Seems a good way of testing myself. initial test managed 22 so decided to start at week 1 column3.Now up to week 2 column 3 day1.Even in this time I can feel the difference not sure if i will ever manage 100 in one go but aim to give it a go.Hope christmas doesnt interfere too much.

Good luck to everyone on the program

• Options

Nice idea.

And... Yay! This doesnt involve going outside in the middle of winter image

• Options

Week 6 - Day 1 - Column 3 (my 2nd attempt)

45-55-35-30....55 (min 55) imageimage

My legs were shaking so much on the last set but I managed to hold on and just push out for 55 with my last ounce of strength.

I left it a while to attempt what I think is the hardest session of the whole challenge as I'm back in race mode over the Christmas and New Year period. But I've got it out of the way and will choose carefully when to move on in the next week, fitting the press ups around my training days and races.

Thinking ahead I may be on course to give 'The 100' a go on Christmas Day, that should be interesting.

• Options

Well done peeps.

This thread is going from strength to strength.

It is very motivational and I feel guilty if I don't do my daily press ups . I mean there isn't really an excuse for not doing them !

105 for me.

Keep it going.

• Options

Initial exaustion test = 19

At least I didnt have to go outside to find out image

• Options

<Thread owner pays courtesy visit to check out what's going on ...>

Greetings chaps and chapettes. I have to admit that I've been a bit remiss and let the programme drop, knowing deep down inside that I'd never hit 100 straight off. But what I do do is drop and reel off 10 or 20 at random times, totalling up to 100 in a day. When I started on the prog I could barely manage half a dozen.

So even if the programme didn't work in the strictest sense for me, it has left me with a good habit. No reason why that shouldn't apply to anyone else.

I actually enjoy doing 20 pressups. Am I weird?

Stick with it, you know it's good for you!

• Options

How many did their press ups yesterday ?

I did 115, with a heavy cold  ( ugh ! )

Keep it going.

It is good for you as Muttley said.

• Options

Just did 120 crunches then remembered this thread. Said I would try the programme once my injuries had healed and as I have started exercising again I s'pose I'm about fit.

Did 40 pressups straight off, didn't try to see how many I can do before collapsing. Just need to get a baseline. Now I'll go back and check out the programme.

• Options

Gonna keep going over the festive period ( even with a heavy cold ! ).

Press ups and sit ups. Good old fashioned exercises, that you can do virtually anywhere !

• Options

Hello Everyone...

So glad I stumbled upon this thread, well I thought I was until I done the initial test and could only do 10... well 9 and a half....

I start my FLM training programme on Monday so I'm gonna fit this in alongside it to get rid of my moobs!!

At least if I run the marathon slowly I won't need to run it in a bra!! image

• Options

Started this programme and the 200 situps - well crunches, though that is easier if I count the crunches and reverse crunches that I already do.

Also got my other half onto the pressup programme. He did 8 pressups on his initial test.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all, did anyone else let this slide over christmas or just me?????

Anyway I am back on week 4 column 1, day two d&d today

14 16 12 12 and 18

hard!!!!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    I let this slide quite a few weeks ago Waboimage So today I went back to week 1, column 2 to see what it felt like - pretty hard is the answer! 6,6,4,4,12 (min 5). Will persevere ...image
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    B I am not alone then! oh well, I keep telling myself I could only do 3 at the beginning!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Hello!

I finally managed to get back into it again & resumed my press-ups last night. Week 3, day 1, column 2. I managed a whole 1 extra on the last set (12, 17, 13, 13, 18) and my arms don't like me today. But I did it!

Not having read back, has anyone completed the 6 weeks & achieved the 100 yet?

• Options

Managed to keep my press ups and sit ups going over festive period.

Had a very heavy cold as I 've said.

However actually doing these meant that I felt I was actually doing something !

Keep it going.

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Well, I am back for day 2, week1, column 2 - 6,8,6,6,14 (min 7). The first couple of sets felt really hard, but got better as they went along.

Well done for keeping up the press ups over Christmas birkmyreimage

• Options

....does anybody have a wii fit?

I only ask as I always tend to do pressups when i am running training, so having just started up running again after a 3 month break  I am also back on the pressups...

My other half tells me that there is a pressup challenge on the wii fit that I got her for christmas ... so I fire it up and have a go....

its really good because it makes you keep your pace slow and constant  - drop on the first whistle raise on the second - if you dont manage it clean it doesnt count it (you do it with your hands on the fit board, so it can register the force through the board)...its a surprisingly good motivator trying to out pressup the console.

slight aside but I could do nine less on the wii fit board than I could without it because of the way it makes you hold them....

• Options

I like the sound of that wii fit one!! Properly done pressups. Down for count of 2 up for 2, was the way i was taught. 

I'm doing the 100 pressups challenge.  I do it in a routine with some core stability work, sit-ups/crunches, and some back stretches. Works well, On week 3 and feel and look so much stronger and more like an athlete!

• Options

Hello All,

Been a very long time since I last checked in here or done any press ups.

I had a couple of days off from the challenge before my most important race of last year (Nov 16) and after that decided to have a lazy week and jsut never started again.

But I just found a picture from a race I did in October and needed to check back to see if I was doing the 100 press up challenge at the time.

It turns out, oddly enough, that I actually started the challenge the the night that the pic was taken.

Anyway looking at that pic has given mean incentive to get back in to doing  press up again (and chin ups etc etc etc).

I'm just getting over a bad case of flu so I'll be easeing myself in, nothing too strenous yet. I might start at week 1 day 1 column 3.

• Options

Just done;

Week 1 Day 1 column 3. (10/12/7/7)

Used a lot stricter form that I used to use. Made it thru each set with no real problem, but I wont say it was easy.

the pic if your interested...another one

• Options
    Marshallini what was it made you want to do the press ups etc after seeing the pics? You certainly don't look out of shape. image
  • Options
    I might, might try day 2 of week 3 tonight, I've only just stopped hurting across my upper chest & armpits, so it seems like a good time to do it to myself again. That way I should have recovered enough to lug my suitcase when I head off on Monday. Might even manage day 3 while I'm away, but maybe I'm overreaching myself there? image
  • Options

Hi Roslyn - Nothing wrong with a little sensible overeaching that's how you make improvements.

Roslyn wrote (see)
    Marshallini what was it made you want to do the press ups etc after seeing the pics? You certainly don't look out of shape. image

Thanks LOL but It's what i look like now compared to then that's got me fired up.  To be honest there probably isn't much in it, but if I don't start again it's only a matter of time.

After my run today I did a few ring dips, chin ups, body rows, press ups, squats, lunges and some core stuff. 

• Options

That's as a good a reason as anyone needs Marshallini, pretty much how I feel about myself - I saw 40 looming & realised I might wake up as a blob if I didn't put the effort in now. image

• Options

Jason X : We just got a wii this week, haven't done anything serious on it yet, apart from 10 pin bowling and tennis ! ( Beaten both by Mrs B and Miss B )

110 press ups and sit ups for me yesterday.

Keep it going you lot.