Options

Nike+ Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Arriving just after nine, we parked straight away in the car park nearest the start, found the toilets next to the nike and lucozade stands and although i made a second trip to the loos at about 10.10 and had a wait in the que I still made it to the start on time, thought the marshall's were great, very positive and supportive as well as the nice people waving and clapping around the course and to the kid who was high five-ing runners as they passed him.

Did get a little lost at the finish and couldn't work out where the car park was but in agreement with Tim of MK  generally,  a really big 'thumbs up' to Mick and all his volunteers

• Options

Good course  - I've worked around Milton Keynes for years and didn't realise that parts of it were so pretty! That head wind from 9-10 was a bit much but apart from that good conditions, though I feel sorry for anyone who finished after 2.15 when that sleet shower hit. Liked the way the way the finish was just round a corner - I hate those events where you run into a school field or park, see the finish and realise you've got to run round the field for ½ a mile to get to it!

Grateful to the marshalls as ever but this event could really do with some better organisation - poor (no?) signage around the start , a small race HQ and the absence of a half secure bag store are not good things. It also took us half an hour to get out at the end as the marshalls had all disappeared from the car park. An event that could be easily improved.

• Options
    yep i agree loved the run but the orgainsation at the end was pants. we spent an hour trying to get out of the car park. will still do it again i think, but will park somewhere else!
  • Options

Have to agree with The Rat.  Will not be doing this again.

I planned to arrive with an hour to go and spent 50 minutes in a queue.  All the information before the event stated ample parking with no mention of "factor in to your arrival time a 50 minute car queue".

Got to start with 2 minutes to spare and managed to jump in where I thought would be an appropriate place.  However, no pens, or even guidance on where to stand.  The usual flags stating sub 1:15, sub 1:25, sub 1:35 etc would have helped avoid what occurred - probably the worst congested start ever.  I spent miles passing people who had started from an inappropriately forward place.

It wasn't the flat fast course that was advertised.  Constant upping and downing going through underpasses and bridges meant it wasn't flat.  And the multitude of sharp turns aren't the best things to have on a "fast course".

Next complaint was the proliferation of ipods. Using an ipod in a race is never a good idea as it destroys all awareness of who is running nearby.  I was cut up badly more times than I care to remember, narrowly avoided falling flat on my face due to one joker, and my personal favourite, had an ipod user spit on me.  All culprits completely unaware of their behaviour.

At the finish I was one of many people standing round looking and trying to work out "where the hell am I?".  A sign "bagage  store this way" would have helped the total confusion that seemed to reign.

Finishing on a positive, the showers were superb (lovely and hot, and not crowed),the medal was quite a novelty from the ubiquitous mug / kit bag and the timing superb; I had finished, showered, changed and just got into my car when the rain started to pitter patter on the roof.  I felt for all those still out on the course during that "shower".

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Artie

Not all IPod wearers are "Satan's Spawn".   For me,  running without music's a total no no.   But I know that I've got to be even more aware than others because one of my senses is muffled.   I look around before making any sharp movements,  at drinks stations,  and if slowing down.   Never had any real problems.   Yesterday,  I was pushed at one drink's station.   But that was the other guy's fault.  He cut straight across me,  realised a collison was on,  so shoved me out of his way.

Tim 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

always intresting reading other people's accounts of races you've done yourself.

Me and my running partner effortlessly glided in by about 920 and nicely into the main carpark just near the start. This seems to ahve been the key to having an effortless day! On the way out I did notice that there were 100s of cars just strewn on the verges and pavments outside the OU, and was glad I didn't have to park there, though I suppose some may well have been spectators.

Not even sure where other carparks where...and the main one looked reasonably full when I turned up. How early do you want to get to a race though...over 75mins before is getting too much I'd have thought.

Unlucky to those  having to queue for 50mins...not good build up at all!

I got to the starting pen about 5mins before the start and found it quite easy to get to the correct part..ie very near the front...say 7 rows back...which is pretty much around my finishing position of 86th. I did notice stacks of people who were never going to be up that end of the field though...sort it out people!

I do every training run with headfones on, as i do these runs alone and would be bored spitless, but ina  race surely you need to concentrate 10% on everythign around you, and keep your breathign and pace and everything at the correct kilter ? Surely to music you can react to it and burn out a bit?

• Options

I usually run races with my Ipod on but I'm aware that there are not always everyone's cup of tea.  Personally I have my music quite low so I am aware of everyone around me (and listen to the shouts from the crowd).  I also make sure I look in my blind spot before spitting.  Hopefully others will be considerate too.

Funnily enough I didn't encounter any major problems yesterday.  Getting in and out was fine, on the narrow parts of the course I didn't get jammed in and the start was ok as well.  I had one of those perfect race days.  The finish was a little congested though.

Gutted to hear that people had stuff stolen, that certianly sours what was a good day.

• Options

In a race situation if you're wearing an iPod I don't think you can be fully aware of people trying to pass you, forcing these people to weave or shout if they want to pass.  It's annoying, and rhythm-breaking.  I'm guilty though of listening to mine at top volume to pump me up on training runs and becoming so absorbed that I'm unaware of cars right behind me and I know I must stop that, or lower the volume.  Yesterday was a particularly jostly course - in bottelenecks round those awkward corners especially and there were quite a few occasions where I was forced to weave because the headphone wearer didn't hear me behind them.  I know everyone has to run their own race and music is essential for many, but when it affects other people adversely perhaps some thinking needs to be done...

Anyway this is an old, old debate which it's boring to add to, but this did strike me yesterday, and I think it's a shame. We're all part of the same running community after all. image

Still, I love the Milton Keynes half and will be back, though next year I'll allow more time for parking and lay a trail of breadcrumbs to get back to the car....

• Options

As this event has grown to be 50% bigger than it was last year, which in turn was bigger than the previous year, If it is going to be the same size or larger next year I do think that the organisers will need to get a grip on the parking, BAGGAGE, signs and starting pens/pacing.

Also, I'd be interested in any comments any runners have about the red 4x4 that entered the stream of runners at Woughton church and the other cars that were coming down that lane into the stream of runners and against the 4x4. It would appear the marshalls were just watching the runners and not actually thinking about the safety of the runners and drivers and 'marshalling' the traffic. Having a word with the drivers and asking them not to move on would have been sensible.

I'm very glad I didn't run because the two times I have done it has been really easy for my OH to drop me off and come and collect me at the relevant time. I don't think he'd have managed that this year and there would have been tears and frustration all round.

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I don't think this race had excellent organisation, but don't think it was that bad.

- I arrived early & obviously parked with no problems.

- Used both sets of loos. There was a queue at the ones inside, but not at the porta-loos........ until about 10 past 10 when everyone seemed to decide to go at the same time!! That said it moved pretty quick.

- Finished & although I didn't know the way back, I had made a point of looking around me when I arrived & spotted the church (near the car park) and headed back in that direction.

- Got out of the car park with no problems at all (about 12.30..... I didn't hang around!).

I seems some people had no problems but some people had a really bad day by the sounds of it.

The organisation needs some work (esp in respect of the baggage) but I wouldn't class this as a never-again race.

Mitts 

• Options

you might be interested to know that i've heard from the chairman of milton keynes athletics club, who organized the race. he confirmed that a couple of people seem to have had phones taken and someone had their bag taken. the race organizers apparently gave that chap some clothes, drove him to the station and gave him a loan of £40, which was nice of them. personally, i think he probably deserved an extra medal for managing to find a race official! haha image

but, i am told they will definitely be reviewing the baggage storage situation for next year's race. despite quite a bit of room for improvement is a few aspects of this race, if the baggage issue was sorted i would consider running it again as it is handy to get to from london.

• Options
    I had a pretty good day as well but I had been before and knew the layout

arrived in plenty of time,  got parked ok,  straight into a portaloo first time round although queued for about 10 mins for the second one

I have raced before so was aware to start down the field although I am not sure if I could have battled up to the front if I were a faster runner!

Marshalls are excellent - its a thankless task standing there for hours on end being encouraging to everyone who runs past.  They dont have the powers to stop traffic and you will always get a 'local' who just HAS to get to the other end of that particular road at that precise time ...

Baggage - it stated on the details to leave stuff in your car where possible and I would query there would be a very small percentage who arrived by public transport and therefore in need of baggage areas ... although this clearly is something that is an issue.

Getting out of the car park was a total nighmare .. I think in previous years there have been attendants at the exit from the OU ensuring that an equal amount of traffic was let out rather than the seemingly main road exit and the tributary roads from carparks unable to exit,  but as stated I was in a car, warm and nearly dry and it gave me ample opportuity to listen to the new U2 album several times over!

A good event, not an excellent one but certainly not a bad one.

I like to get a medal but a goody bag would have been a bonus  image
  • Options

Hey all,

I posted my time prediction, I said if I got UNDER 1.48 I AM THROWING A PARTY.  Well I was so proud of myself that I got my PB of 1hr 45min 34 secs.  I was soooooooooooooo happy with myself image

My partner meep meep also got a PB of 1hr 33min 53 secs ... double party image.

It was a hard race for sure (especially against those harsh winds), I just kept my head down & my feet working...

Nice medal too, another one to the collection WOOP WOOP image

All good I say......

Dorney 10k this Sunday & Reading half marathon for March

All good fun  image

• Options

No complaints whatsoever from me. The car park was well marshalled when I arrived at 9:15. Left my bag in my car as advised in the race info and used the facilities I needed without a problem.

My only gripe would be from the runners who insist on wearing headphones with music blaring out of them in a busy race. They are a danger to themselves and other runners.

As for the people that pinned their race number to their back.........well, no doubt they will be complaining they didnt get a photo.

• Options

It must say say something, none of us found it an easy race what with the headwind, the congested bits, twists and turns and sneaky frequent short inclines to break your pace, and yet so many pbs!!  Well done Runner Bean and meep meep. image

...guess we'll have to believe their write-up of "pb potential" even if we disagree with "flat". image

• Options

I understand that at this years Maidenhead 10, they are asking (not demanding) that folk DO NOT wear headphones..... They say its so that emergency vehicles can get through if required.

I will be complying! (even as an avid fan of my MP3 player)

• Options
    .... refer thread "Entries now open"....
  • Options
    interestingly, the only people who cut across me weren't wearing headphones! image
  • Options
    This may sound arrogant - but if I'm running a race, i'm running my race, headphones or not.  So if you want to get past, you're going to need to run around me - I'm not going to move out of the way!  I expect this of others and do it myself when I need to overtake.
  • Options

Not to get into an arguement but it does sound a little off.

It is not about moving out of the way exactly but if like on Sunday there are narrow paths and you are aware that someone is coming up behind you, it takes little effort for you to move slightly to one side so they can get passed without having to go off the pavement.

No one should expect that everyone moves out of the way for them but common courtsey says you shold be aware of other runners around you and  do your best not to hamper their progress.

• Options
    Any sign of the pictures yet?
  • Options

they're online now, i got an email telling me last night

• Options
    One of mine I'd happily buy... the other two need shredding, permanently, with acid poured on the remains...image
  • Options

I agree with Davidn Morgan here, if I am overtaking someone, I would never expect them to move out of the way, I would go around them.  My only grip with that is when you get a group of slower runners running shoulder to shoulder.  As for headphones, as I mentioned before, I have my music very quiet so I am aware of my surroundings.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i don't know if at my part of the field whether it is generally less congested than say the 1hr 30-45 part...but I don't recall any parts so narrow that you needed someone to move out the way to get past?

But then again I had a gruelling run to contend with! lol.

and bizarrely I think I only overtook about 10 people all race...that's the sign of starting in the right kinda part of the field!

• Options

deedee24

Do you have the link for the photos please? I'd quite like a laugh at pictures of me looking windswept and exhausted !

Thanks 

• Options

http://www.prosportphotos.com/running/2009/milton-keynes-half-marathon/index.htm

no probs

its made me think i'll need a mini makeover just before the line at flm to avoid looking red faced and in pain in the finish photo!! 

• Options

deede24

Thanks for that

Yep - photos as expected - windswept and exhausted!

• Options

deedee.....now THERE'S  a business idea for mile 25!  For the strictly non-serious afleet, of course... image

• Options

Of course for the the serious amongst us, a facility could be provided for mocked up lost toenails, prosthetic areas of chafing, fake blood from nipples etc...

(gets coat)