Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Em-68 - that doesn't sound good. Not a medical person, but RICE is always good - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Ibuprofen to take any swelling down for a few days (if you can take it) is good, but if it hurts please don't run on it!!  How's it feeling now??

Toby well done on the marshalling duties, and good time for your 10 miles. 

Mel - I'll be reading the blog - happy walking!

CW - quick question for you. have you found that cycling has helped bring your HR down? My HR is fantastic at the moment - even moderately hard runs it will still be on average around 70%. I've not been doing long, slow runs but I have been cycling (which works your legs for comparatively less effort). Oh and to answer a question you asked ages ago. I;ve been trying to ride witha high cadence in easier gears rather than slogging away - but it feels strange and I can't decide if it's right fo rme or not!

Was the River Run last week - my annual 5K race. Run went well, and to cut to the chase my time was 3 seconds slower than last year. However I'm very happy with thism, because I've not worked as hard as I was doing last year, I've not been doing any intervals, I've not been sleeping well with thinking about building work 'stuff' in the middle of the night, so I'll take 26:48 for a 5K thank you very much!

• Options

Hi B&T - it feels fine today after a few days of aches and limping, no pain at all, but that's not to say it won't suddenly go wrong when I start running. I might try a little gentle jog on a treadmill and see how it feels and failing that I'll have a go on the elliptical or bike and see if I can keep my fitness up like that while I recover. A bit of research reveals that it's probably greater trochanteric pain syndrome.image Fancy.

• Options
    Hi all,

Em - hope your feeling better, very hard to do but rest is the key.

Toby - good running as normal.

B&T - very difficult for me to talk about hr cause I lost a lot of fitness, it is returning and hr is dropping again slowly, I'm not running fit as I was but I do feel fitter(if that makes sense) and stronger. Re: cadence I started off pushing big gears, I have now dropped down a couple of gears but using more rpm. Results with speed are now the same but I can run a lot better after the bike.

1st bit of exercise for about 10 days have had awful manflu. 18 mile bike ride @ 18.6 mph a nice tempo ride over an undusliting course

Take care all
  • Options

Morning all

hope your all well not a lot going on at the moment my daughters training been a bit hit and miss the last week and a half since I’ve been on day’s but as she’s now running 6 miles fairly comfortably we up it to 8 last night she ran all of it with a comfort break half way round so were stick with this for a few weeks and then up it again

• Options

Hi guys the wonder of Wi-Fi eh here I am in sunny and very hot lindos in Rhodes, no running !! Although I had a dip in the pool just to cool off!! image

• Options

Hey! Yvonne - sounds lovely. Enjoy yourself and don't feel guilty about the no running - your body will be all the stronger for a rest.image Happy holidays!

• Options
    Yvonne - I have been to Lindos, stayed in a small resort just past it called Pethkos the restaurants were superb there especially one called the collisium and one opposite that, may well have changed though. Lovely place
  • Options

from rainy, cold (considered putting the heating on at work) fenland, that sounds lovely!

• Options

Afternoon all

did 7miles with Poohbear on Saturday and 10 miles yesterday I’m still on day’s at the moment and it’s been far too hot to go out as soon as i get home from work so have been leaving it till it cooled down a bit

• Options

Morning everyone. Another beautiful day image

Toby - it is definitely too hot for running at the moment. I meant to go out 'first thing' on Monday, but by the time I'd sorted builders etc out I finally made it out at 11am. It was only 3 miles but I was gasping and wishing I'd taken water with me!

12 miles cycling at Castle Combe circuit with my son last night, was gong to run today but I have a house (loft) full of people who keep asking me tricky questions like where are the radiators are going in a room that doesn't exist yet. Oh and someone finally put their foot through a ceiling yesterday - I was told *someone* would do it at some point. Fortunately it was where the ceiling will have to be cut for the staircase to go in - so quite fortunate really! 

• Options

B&T sounds like your haveing a right time of it at the moment with all thats going on

• Options
    Hi all,

Still really hot, how's everyone's training getting on?

I've missed a few sessions due to having a fierce head cold, chest and nasal full of snot ( sorry) so no swimming which is what I need to be doing more off, but got back on the bike Sunday for just over 40 miles with nearly 2000 ft elevation gains (undualliting) at 15 mph and a run this morning at 6.30, 9 miles at 9 m/m HR pretty high but with the hot weather and remains of a cold will take that.

Take care all
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - I'm back from my two weeks off. The C2C walk was successfully completed on Friday afternoon as we paddled in our boots in the sea at Robin Hoods Bay. Have to say the C2C was even tougher than I had thought it would be.

CW - hope you're completely over your cold lurgy by now - well done with that bike/run training you did. My running has been non-existent this year (injury and then C2C training walks). I've done a grand total of 53 miles this year. Now the C2C is over I can get back into my running - but haven't started yet though image

B&T - you can never imagine how many questions you will get asked and how busy it will get until building projects are under way. Glad you found time for a quick 3ml run.

Em68 - hope you're getting over your injury by now

Yvonne - chuckling at you keeping up to date with your Gulp chums from sunny Lindos. Maybe you should do some aquarobics in the pool - keep cool and exercise at the same time.

• Options

Toby - thanks - it's all go, and now the kids are on summer holidays as well so I'm torn between trying to keep up with questions from builders vs. dragging children out into fresh air!

Mel - WOO HOO!! imageimageimageWell done! I was following your blog - it did sound tough, so really well done for pushing on and finishing it. image

Em68 - how's your hip?

CW - hope you're feeling fully recovered now. Not surprised your HR was high with all that! I think I'm going to put a new battery in my HR monitor - my HR is still surprisingly low (for me!) despite the heat image

Yvonne - are you back with us yet? Hope you had / are still having a wonderful holiday

Short run on Monday for me - reckoning just getting out is better than not bothering because it's to late / too hot / I'm too tired etc, cycling with my boy last night (which meant I basically chased him for the entire ride. Sigh!) and hopefully another short run tonight, in between getting rid of the builders / the temperature cooling down / going out for daughter's birthday. A long run on Friday would be good, but we'll see how it goes.

• Options

Melwell done on the completing the C2C

CW hope you get better soon

• Options
    Well done Mel on the C2C.

B&T. Anything is better than nothing helpful stress release I expect.

Went for a splash tonight, didn't do a lot just several 50 metres with rests but wasn't to snotty so all systems go again.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Re the C2C - thanks everyone! image

I've been too knackered/too busy for the last few evenings but today I plan to (gasp!) go for a run!! It's been 6 weeks since I last ran though so I have no idea how I will get on (or how fit or otherwise the walking has made me). I think I will probably try my 3.25ml route into town and back and if all goes well I won't be struggling after half a mileimage

• Options

Good luck Mel! Watch out for the sunshine image

• Options

Hi all, hope everyone's on the mend and looking forward to the weekend.image

My hip is a lot better, thanks everyone who asked. I'm tapering (not really sure exactly what or how to be honest) ahead of a first trial effort at half marathon distance next weekend. image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

B&T - after stepping out of my car (with air-con) and instantly feeling like I was being baked at Gas Mark 4, I chickened out and used my treadmill in my garage instead. Managed 3mls at 10:52 pace so I'll take that.

Em68 - glad to hear your hip is better. Round here, tapering mainly seems to consist of sitting around eating cake.

Interesting footnote .. did my 3ml treadmill run, went to bed feeling a bit dehydrated. Got woken up in the night with cramp in my left calf. Note to self - get used to drinking a bit more now you are running again; keep doing that stretching!

• Options

Hi all came back home yesterday morning ,landed at 3:05am slept for 3 hours on the plane but that was it for sleep in the 24 hour day!! Slept well last night and went for my first run since wed 9th July, boy my legs did itch for the first mile, as the blood was pumping faster than it has been the last two weeks, had to run whilst rubbing my legs was a Vic and Bob shooting stars dance moment!!! 

Managed two laps round, it felt like the three!!! And the dogs were panting like mad too and went in the river on both laps ....

Mel well done on completing c2c, get you jumping straight back into the running, YES remember those stretches!!!

B&T the word bedlam springs to mind, still will be nice when it's done and think of the extra room you'll have..

Waves to every one x

• Options

Afternoon all

just went out for a run about 5.30 yesterday with no distance in mind decided to run till i got to hot or had, had enough after about 10 miles decided enough was enough but still had a couple of miles to get home so stop in a news agency to get a cold drink in the end it turn out to be just over 12

Yvonnewelcome home hope the holiday went well

• Options
    Hi all,

Early morning 9 miles for me a bit cooler than the other day but warm enough.

Went to a podiatry clinic yesterday not that I'm injured just have really tight calves and hamstrings. Got some new insoles coming and will be joining Mel with the stretching exercises.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - and there's me thinking it's only us blokes allowed to do the thigh-rub a la Vic & Bobimage 

Toby - well done re 10 (make that 12) mile run. Hope that will be me before too long. I need to draw up a training plan to make sure I'm up to 10 miles by October.

CW - well done re 9 miler. Hope podiatrist shows you same stretch as me for tight calves.

I went for another run yesterday (did my short 3.25ml town loop). Interestingly (and happily) I didn't struggle at all and in fact, speeded up on each mile (including the 3rd mile with 0.5ml uphill). Think that bodes well for my return to running (and hope I'm not putting the mockers on things by saying so!)

• Options

13 miles for me today lovely cool breeze at times but still a tad too hot for my liking still shouldn’t complain after all that rain the earlier part of the year although I'm glad it wasn't this hot when i was training for Brighton so perhaps i shouldn't complain about the rain either

CW well done on the 9 miles

Mel I’m shore your get there well done on the 3 miles a good starting point to build on

• Options

Yvonne - glad you're back home safely and hope your holiday was as lovely as it sounded. Laughing at the Vic and Bob moment!

CW - always good to do stretching! Prevention is better than cure etc etc etc (nag nag nag!!) 

Mel - welcome back to running! I think you might find after all your walking what I've found with cycling. The exercise is good for your leg muscles, and the lower intensity means your heart has been getting lots of 'below 70%' exercise, so it's easier to run afterwards. My HR has been way lower than I'd expect in this heat (although I keep thinking I should change the battery in my HRM just in case that's what it is!)

Toby - some good mileage in this heat. I suddenly realised I need to up my mileage as my half marathon is at the start of September (seems so far off but actually it isn't. Like a chicken I haven't counted the weeks..)

Thanks for all the sympathy about the builders. It is chaos here (bedlam is a very good word for it, Yvonne!) mostly I try to hide in the office and work but it's so noisy. I think the roofers are finished now which is fab. Hopefully we now have a watertight house image.  I've been out for a couple of runs, nothing too strenuous but just trying to make sure I get out and do *something*!! Snuck out for a quick 3 miles last night and took the most beautiful photograph. I'll try and post it from my phone. Fingers crossed ...

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Toby - after so long with no regular running I'm finding my feet again and seeing how (un?)fit I am. I'll try a slightly longer run tonight (4-5mls) and see how that goes.

B&T - I equated the walking to LSR runs .. lots of endurance required while not pushing too hard. And with the number and size of the hills we encountered I reckon I did lots of 'hill work' as well. Slightly different technique though - when I run up hills I keep my leg turnover speed the same and shorten my stride. Our C2C guide made us slow down as well as take smaller steps to conserve energy (and it worked). Lovely photo by the way ..

• Options