Options

Trollers Trot 24

All good stuff - well, except for the cramp in my case, but overcame it and live to think about fighting another day...

- anyone doing this in 2009 ?  Any of the Inov-8 2008 crew out there ?

(anyone doing Rombalds stride as a warm up ?)

- anyone up for a beer afterwards (knew that would get you) !

Haven't put my entry in yet, but will do soon.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Wharfy... i've put in my aplication and as far as i know am in for 2009, whats the course like?
  • Options

Hi James, I've entered on line now so expect to be in.

The course is great, three main climbs from what I can remember, some steep bits that most people will walk, a mix of muddy bits (weather dependent I guess) and some better paths.  Very little road.  Some great scenery.  Final few miles are pretty flat along the river side which helps to keep going at that point.  I ran it in trail shoes last year but nearly went head over tails a couple of times - would suggest inov8 or similar better unless it's a particularly dry spell. 

• Options

sounds like good fun!! lets hope for a bit of wet to muddy it up!! lol!!

i'll be in nb 800's i expect, fantastic all round shoe.. not to aggressive but bitey enough when needed..

you from sunny cumbria too?

• Options

No - sunny Yorkshire !  Wharfy was short for Wharfedale Plodder (I found PMA and decided not to plod any longer !) so this is fairly close to home for me.

Have to wear off some Turkey before the run lol !

• Options

lmao!! i reckon i'll still be eating leftovers after the race! i'm off out today for a slow easy few miles then hit the wieghts in the garage (legs and back) rather than go for the mid length run i was planning, i just feel too fat!! that and the leftover smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast prolly isn't very condusive to running 11 miles... ;0)

I've got to admit, i like a good plod same as the next guy, i tend to scout routes on the local fells for my wife and i to walk when i'm running, but i always get itchy feet when i'm out with her, i just want to head up that fell to see whats on the other side, to see if i can get to the top or just because it looks like coming back down would be a blast!! What made you trade plodding for going a little faster?

Also, whats Rombalds Stride like?... i've googled it and have found a few bits of info but can't seem to find the official website, i may well have a look at that one, febuary's a slow month for me and i should be up to the mileage again by then (just rebuilding after a back injury)

• Options

I'm probably still a plodder really, depends on perspective..  I'm currently just debating how long to rest a bit of an achilles problem I've got, on hols at centre parcs next week so may concentrate on cross training and leave running till I get back - though the beautiful weather today made me want to get out !

I haven't done RS before, but the route appears to be pretty much a circle round where I live so I will probably have run most if not all of the paths before.  Expect quite a bit of muddy moorland paths, some stony bits to test your footwork, and probably a few nasty sharp climbs.  Sounds quite a sociable event and buns / drinks etc. as per other LDWA events.  Last year was a bit of snow and some thick ice.

• Options

lol! i think you prolly traded that title when you swapped you hiking boots for trail shoes!!!

the big injury question... i find it so dificult to remain motivated through injurys, the last one was the worst though, i pulled my lower back at work, lifting more than i should if i'm perfectly honest.. it wasn't the worst injury i've suffered (i paggered my hip on a half marathon and ran it almost to the point of rupture, thankfully i had a pt at the time who nursemaided me through rehab, even so i wasn't physicaly able to run for 4 months!!) but niether having a pt anymore or the experience or equipment to isolate the back injury and work around it, it meant a total break from training for 5 weeks, all the work i'd put in raising my mileage and a lot of the strength training i'd done was wasted, it came straight after a really poor performance on a half marathon too so i hit a bit of a low... still i've learned a lot from it, it's definately made me stronger mentaly and i won't try to lift whole rolls of safety flooring anymore... image  whats the problem with you achilles?

The holiday sounds good, like you said you've definately got the weather for it if this keeps up and you should still be able to ride a bike?

I'm very tempted to have a crack at RS aswell, it looks like fun but on reflection i should prolly stick to my training schedule.. i still could be pushing it to get the mileage up that high in 5 weeks, also i've a pretty busy year including the london and windemere marathons and would be devastated if i got injured, i defered london last year because of the hip injury i told you about so this is it or its back to the ballot...

• Options

Hi James, back form hols now. I did Windy last year and enjoyed it, the hills here will help your training as the third quarter is quite hilly.

Achilles feels a bit better, aim to get out on the moors tomorrow for a trial.

Any lurkers thinking of joining in ???? (Jez, Clairster, Drunken Euph, Freddy Bear ... ?)

• Options

How was Centre Parks? Did you manage any cycling?

Windy's no good for training for london.... unless your H.G. Wells or mebee The Doctor! lol! it's 3 weeks to late...... i'm just gunna taper to London and taper straight off London for Windy, i'm not to fussed about times for Windy, i'm just gunna have a crack at it and enjoy the views.

Enjoy the Moors, i'll be out on the Fells, hopefully there will be some more snow to liven it up a bit, hope the Achilles holds up..

• Options

Centre parcs was great - didn't bother with bikes but got a lot of swimming in (well, most of it was climbing up the steps and battling down the rapids).

Didn't make it out today, got a silly cut on back of right heel which I expected to clear by now but hasn't and don't want to keep opening it up - also not 100% sure about achilles so erring on the side of caution.  Not worried about TT but RS may be hard going if I don't get sorted soon, worst comes to the worst I'll walk a big chunk and just use it as a warm up.

Certainly sounds like you've got a heavy spring schedule !

• Options

I'm running again - hurrah !

Only did 3 miles but determined to start slow to avoid recurrence of achilles - felt absolutely fine so will build gradually. 

• Options

hey Wharfy.. 

thats great news mate!! it shouldn't take to long to rebuild now your back on your feet, it's bloody frustrating trying not to run or take it easy when you really want to stretch em out a bit eh? lol!

the schedule is a little gruelling!! i'm following a pretty harsh training regime, starting at 5 am every day, i run 4 days a week and do weights and core work 3 days, with a rest day on saturday (fri i run am and train legs/back pm so by sat i need the day off!!!) .... i really want to beat 3.30 at london, i'll settle for sub 4 if it goes completely tits up but........ ah, you know!! 

the other races i'm entering are all for fun and fit quite well in with my training schedule, TT is just 1 week off my scheduled longest pre london run so a bit of juggling sorts that out, although i'll be running nearly a 60 mile week including the race, then i've got the Grizedale 10 which sits in a rest week between the highest mileage section and a 20 mile pre taper run, then london, then another taper to windy!! i've booked the Puma Garburn challenge as well for june! think i'll have a break after that little lot before the half's really kick in in the winter!! lol!!

what about you? you planning any other events this year?

• Options
    Hi Wharfy, love your avatar, I grew up within spitting distance! So are you a fell runner then? I'd like to be, but struggle a bit on the hills... frequently run (or staggerystumble) around those moors, but usually from the Silsden end. I think I'm working on the Troller's trot date, when's this Rombalds jobby? And is it a proper fell run, or a long run/walk kinda thing?
  • Options

James - 4m last night and still all good, maybe do around 6-8m this weekend.  Apart from RS and TT I am doing Baildon Boundary Way (multi surface half mara) and aiming to run Abingdon mara with the other half in October.  Aside from that I will probably have a bunch of 10k races, maybe some of the Black Sheep series.  Don't think I train quite as hard as you, but aim to run 9m home from work twice a week and both ways when building the distance, a couple of club night runs circa 4-6m and a long weekend one.

Hi Mick, just over in Menston so piccy probably half way between us.  I can't really describe myself as a fell runner but do enjoy running over the moors more than anything else.  Rombalds is a long run / walk type of thing as I understand it, takes place 7th Feb, see LDWA website, I think I'll be walking up most of the steep bits !

• Options
    good luck for the weekend mate, hope it holds up..... i'll be on the fells tomorrow, 14 miles of pure running pleasure!! image
  • Options

Not a great day for running - a bit windy up on the hills, James! I got out yesterday, but purely for a walk. A good day for it too, if a bit chilly!

What do you take with you for a 14-mile run on the hills?

• Options

Got out for a little over 10 miles today, actually enjoyed the wind with the exception of the top of Baildon Hill which was a bit wild.  Went better than I thought, though can feel the achilles a little now - fingers crossed.  Kept a very steady pace and sussed out part of the RS route - having made a wrong turn at part of Trollers last year (and not realising until the top of a hill) I thought it might be wise.  Wasn't a map reading problem, had just been following the people in front and gassing, didn't notice them turn off...

Mick - I either take a belt with a bottle of water / isotonic, mobile (just in case), and not much else when travelling light.  If I'm out to make it a bit harder I have a back pack with a drinks bladder and will carry various spare clothes and more water than I need just for extra ballast = maybe a piece of flapjack / banana.  Also take back pack if weather is difficult to predict.  Am likely to take it for Trollers but there is plenty of drink points and food (cakes flapjacks etc) at checkpoints so not worth carrying too much ! 

• Options

hi Mick.. i take an o/s, compass and whistle, 3 litre camelbak with a waterproof jacket, mobile phone and some cash for taxi if i have to pull out to the nearest road and call for help, fingers crossed its not happened yet, 3 litres of water's excessive but it's good to be used to carrying it for the longer runs, like wharfy i'll have it with me for TT although i doubt i'll be taking food along, i dont really like to eat while running, may invest in some gells though. It was windy, thats the truth! think i ran 2 steps forward to get blown 3 back!!  we've got flood warnings for the next few days and my next run is a 9 miler on tuesday morning... so i may end up swimming most of it!!

Thats good news Wharfy, lets hope what you can feel is just the ache from use and not the dreaded.. fingers crossed for you mate!!  whats trollers like for way markers then? is there much map reading required? i've yet to get myself the o/s for the area so i'd better get my finger out and familiarise myself with the route.....

i'm starting to feel this training regime bite now, todays run was a struggle, mostly because of fridays 9 mile xc and the weights set i did in the evening i think.. still! it'll be worth it i'm sure..... here's to blood, sweat and tears by the bucketfull!!! lol!!

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Wharfy - was it you I chatted to going past Harvey Smith's and Weecher yesterday (Sunday)? I was recceing Rombald's.
  • Options
    Cheers fellahs, often wonder what I should take for longer walk/run kind of things. I usually try and go nice and light, but waterproof trousers have stumped me lately. I'd like a look at Montane's Atomic DT ones, but nowhere seems to stock them - and being a good Yorkshireman, I aint buying without trying first!
  • Options

James - yes a bit of map reading may be required depending on how close you are to the man in front !  Worth highlighting on a map or photocopying sheets to mark on etc.  No waymarkers at all, just the checkpoints when you get to them.

Podro - sure was, how far up did you get - all the way round the top loop ?

Mick - took waterproof trousers on trollers last year and everyone else told me they don't bother with them.  Got soaked through at Snowdonia mara last October and wouldn't have worn waterproof trousers if I'd had them with me, tights soaked up a bit of water but did not feel uncomfortable.

Achilles feels fine this morning - so looking good !

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Wharfy - got to Whetstonegate but missed off the new loop and came back via the old route to Burley Woodhead, then cut across to Reva and home for 18.5 miles. Then back to decorating and gardening to keep the Mrs happy.

• Options

Mick... like wharfy i don't bother with waterproof trousers, in a perfect world they would be handy to have in your pack just in case you get injured when your out on your own, same as a waterproof coat, in practice though your waterproof coat would prolly be on and sweaty so wet and cold, if you did have an injury that stopped you it'd most likely be a leg injury anyway and in that instance pulling on waterproof trousers prolly wouldnt be an option... good technical tights are great, i use linebreak compression, get em wet, they dry in moments, they get rained on and to be honest it just feels refreshing and when it's hot they allow airflow to keep you cool, the only downside with them is they dont cope with very cold conditions on their own but you can use them under some lightweight trackys.... image

Wharfy... glad your achilies is good mate, i'll go ahead and order the active map for the route then, i believe its OL 2? 

Podro... 18.5 miles is a pretty extreme way of ducking chores for a few hours!! sounds like someone i know.. oh yeah, me!! lol!! 

how long are you guys expecting the run to take you? knowing the terrain and all....

• Options
    evening - sounds like some of you are local, I'm comimg up from Kent for this event any recommendations for a B&B in the area? Thanks
  • Options

Hi again, is there anywhere on t'interweb that has the checkpoint grid refs for the Rombalds stride - including this 'new loop' I heard something about, over my end (Whetstone Gate?)

I went for a wee run/walk thing today from Silsden, round the Cow and Calf, up to the Twelve apostles and back to Silsden, and it took ages! It was a bit boggy up there, mind, but I would have liked to do it faster. Do many people run out of time on this event?

• Options
    Bo-bo, -sorry, don't know much about the b&b's around here, other than there are loads of them! Some of the pubs in Burley in Wharfedale, or even Menston, might be a good bet.
  • Options
    thanks Mick - will probably have a google session this w/e
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Mick - grid refs for Rombald's are on the entry form.

James - not sure whether you are talking about times for Trollers or Rombalds. I usually aim for about 3:10 for Rombald's. Never done Trollers but I guess I'd be aiming for 3:30-3:45.

• Options

thanks Podro, was asking about TT, i'm going to give RS a miss, so under 10 min/miles is fairly achievable considering the terrain then? i reckon my resting pace is around 9, takes a lot to build up momentum when you weigh 15.5st!!! image

i've been looking over the LDWA events, (i didn't know about them before signing up for TT) they have a bloomin impressive amount of challenges don't they?! are any of you guys members?

• Options
    Cheers Podro, I'll get my trusty OS map out and have a gander!