Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Hi BBB

How is the back feeling - are you able to do much to keep yourself fit?

This is from LM website

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/?pageID=2&submenu=13&article=31

good for age

If you are a man or woman who wishes to run in the 2009 race and who has achieved a performance that equals or is faster than the standards listed below, then write to us at the address below giving proof of performance i.e. a photocopy of the results (which must have been achieved in 2007 or 2008) and proof of your age i.e. a photocopy of your driving license or passport.

MEN 18 - 402:45:00-3:00:00 WOMEN 18 - 493:15:00 -3:45:00

MEN 41 - 59sub 3:15:00 WOMEN 50 - 54sub 4:00:00

MEN 60 - 64sub 3:30:00 WOMEN 55 - 59sub 4:15:00

MEN 65 - 69sub 4:00:00 WOMEN 60 - 64sub 4:30:00

MEN 70+sub 5:00:00 WOMEN 65 - 69sub 5:30:00   WOMEN 70+sub 6:30:00

• Options

Dont think there is a GFA Half time, but there is a Championship entry.

The championship qualifying standards for a full marathon are sub 2:45 for men and sub 3:15 for women, for a half marathon the qualifying standards are sub 1:15 for men and sub 1:30 for women. The qualifying time must have been achieved since 1st January 2007.

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/?pageID=2&submenu=13&article=28

• Options

I have no chance of 1.15 for the HM, I didn't get that when I was at my peak 15+ years ago image

I really think the GFA times are wildly unfair when a 59-year-old man has to achieve the same time as a 41-year-old to qualify. Without wanting to start a battle of the sexes, I think the women's standards are far lower.

• Options

BBB- sorry to hear about your injury! How frustrating! You will get your sub 3 hours, and remember there is always another marathon...so look after yourself first! You want to be in the sport for more than just the next week, so think long term and do the right thing!

Best wishes,
    Liz
  • Options

BBB how's it going now mate ,i know its hard Nigel but let them get you sorted & you will have your sub 3 next year.Are you going up next week if so have a few beers & chill .All the best see you soon Tony http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_110.gifps this will be you in next years FLM 

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZRman000

• Options

I see Jason ran 2:57:15 at Lochaber. Well done on your first sub-3.

• Options
    Well done Jason. Great newsimage
  • Options

Many thanks guys, I have wrote an epic report on the sub-3 thread but to summarise here for those that are interested.

The race went ridiculously well until 20 miles after which I dropped the pace slightly (6:30s until 20 miles). However it wasn't THE WALL but rather my legs felt heavy. By 23 miles I felt a little cramp in my right leg. By 25 miles I had to pull up and stretch a cramp spasm. Until then I was still on for 2:55. Sadly I cramped again about 500 yards from the line and after some more stretching I managed to get going again. I finshed 14th and second vet 35-39 - I get a prize too!!

I've thought long and hard and can only conclude that the weather played a vital role in the proceedings. The chap who won was about 4 minutes down on a recent performance and I passed quite a few struggling/walking in the later stages. 

With that in mind I'm pretty proud of my effort and the way I got over the line. Had I not ran 2:50 pace from the off I may not of had enough in the bank to get sub 3 this time out. 

Goes without saying I feel a bit silly for posting in Nigel's thread once more since he won't be running FLM this Sunday. In some small way Nigel I hope my achievements show that Steve's work with me last summer has yielded results and I hope that what you have learned about pacing and training in general yields you similar results in the future.I wish you well in your recovery.

• Options

Hi All,

Liz,BB,Thanks for the support, not much change on my injury still waiting for the docters phone call,hope he will phone this week.See you soon

Saintjason,

Well done done on the sub 3,looking at your race report sounds very similar to my london marathon last year the 23 mile cramp stoping and streching for the last 3 miles,unfortunately i finished with 3.02.Im sure with time you are going to be a sub 2.50 runner well done againimage.         

• Options
    Hi all,  my sons out of hospitalimage,hoping to do London,all the best to everyone.
  • Options

Good news H4RRY - all the best to you both especially your son. 

• Options
    H4rry, great news mate, hope your son is on the mend. Have a good one in London,
  • Options

Evening All

H4RRY fantastic news for you and your son, I'll keep m y fingers crossed that you do get to London.

SJ hope your having a good rest after last week - have you decided what's next on your running plans?

FL are you all ready  for London?

EOL hope to catch up with you on the weekend.

Steve hope to see you on the weekend, will you be in the hotel at all?

For anyone else running on Sunday hope you all have the race you've planned and trained forimage. I'll be posting for the next few days and will be looking forward to full reports on Mondayimage

• Options

Hi BBB, how you keeping mate?

I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Done all the work, just hope this leg holds out. And the rest is in the hands of the gods. Maybe catch up with you after the race for a beer or two.

• Options
    Thanks all, Jason you did excellent to go under 3hrs after cramping up etc.image 
  • Options

Good luck to everyone. Training's done now make the most of it.

BBB i'm at the post race reception on Sunday so see you there

• Options

Cheers H4RRY!

Good luck to everyone OR as I read somewhere on Sub-3 thread - no bad luck!! 

• Options

Jason. Excellent news on your sub3

All the best to everyone on Sunday. Enjoy the race. i hope you all hit your targets

• Options

All the best to everyone for Sunday, I'll be there cheering you all on, whatever the outcomes just try and enjoy the whole experience. I'll be looking out for you all along the way.

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

BBB I'm sure you will be there next year.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday. Enjoy.

Birder (aka keith) number 31664.

• Options

nigel,  all the best for the run.  My parents(Joy & Ken) were really impressed with your progress since the days of playing pool in the cwmavon league! 

I'm hoping to start pushing for a marathon next year, so who knows?

• Options

Best of luck to all running on sunday, weather supposed to cool a bit so conditions should be better 16C

Enjoy it! embrace it! and when the going get tough the tough get going

Well done Jason on your sub 3

• Options
    dai twice are you dai dai who works at port talbot for corus
  • Options

Birder,

What time is it you will be looking for is it sub 3 i will be looking out for you.

Dai Twice,

How are you mate,that was a bit of a surprise,no marathon for me this year had to pull out due to a fractured sacral ala  (hip) .Im on the mend with a slight limp,  perhaps when im better we can do some training together as i know you used to be a very fit young man in your early days, is this still the case.Say hello to mum and dad see you all soon.  

• Options

Sorry to hear about your injury,  as we both get older must remember to listen to our bodies more!My fitness is coming back, had a bit of a lay off and concentrated on swimming and managed a sprint triathlon early last year.  Trying to do a triathlon training programme at the moment to get my fitness back and weight down.  I tend to concentrate on the swimming and running more than the bike!   Give me a couple of months and then perhaps I can keep up with you 

• Options

Hi Dai,

Couple of months no problem! It's a matter of me keeping up with you at the moment.

BB,

Hi Bomber, were did you have your stress fracture?I've read about my fracture sacral ala and its caused by an increase of milage and that its not a common fracture.I was thinking about your increase of milage when doing ultra's. 

• Options
    BBB mine was my pubis bone but it was an impact injury i got kicked in the nut's on Holiday mucking about int pool ,but it took them 2 or 3 years to work this out ,good news is i had 2 month off running & it was OK ,i was able to bike but not to stand on the pedals
  • Options

Had a shocker....went out way to fast...had to stop for a poo (in a portaloo, didn't do a Paula!!!) at about 16 miles and it was hot hot hot. Finished in 3 hours and 48 seconds, which is probably the worst time I could have got image Position (overall) 1020 Position (age group) 594 out of 36,000 so not too bad and I was on the TV crawling across the finish line.... image

Lessons learnt:

• Don't do the first 5 - 6 miles at 6.15 - 6.20 pace...when you should be doing 6.40 pace. I just got a bit carried away and though I was slowing down every mile!!!
    • Think I drunk to much Lucozade in the first half of the race...hence the trip to the loo with the squits
    • I found some of the crown off putting with the whistle, banging and other noise. Sorry to sound like a party pooper. If I do it again I will wear my Ipod. Don't get me wrong the support is fantastic. The noises just put me off a bit.
    • Don't listen to anyone when the say its flat....its not.....
    • Walking three miles to the start...will get the train /  bus nest time.
    • Don't leave your sunglasses in a portaloo at the finish (yes had a few more trips to the loo) and then have to walk all the way back, when you are at the meeting place S.....I could of bought a new pair, but I'm tight...lol
    TIMES 5 km 0:19:37 25 km 1:42:29 10 km 0:39:54 30 km 2:04:27 15 km 1:00:29 35 km 2:26:49 20 km 1:21:24 40 km 2:50:04 half 1:25:58 finish 3:00:48

Will I be back next year....humm....probably....I have a good for age (2:58) from Abingdon Oct last year. It was to late to apply and I managed to get and Army Ticket this year.

• Options
    Tony Smith 17 good time considering your problems.I did 2.59.10, 5k 20.22, 10k 40.57, 1/2 1.26.59   overall 912  age 109. wouldn"t have gone sub. 3 without fab crowd supportimage.
  • Options

Well run Tony and H4RRY - great stuff in the conditions.

Unlucky at missing abother sub-3 by that slim margin Tony but at least you can pin-point the reasons for it. 

Great stuff H4RRY considering this time last week you weren't running - well done on getting you head straight for the race. Hope your son is still recovering well. 

Well done to coach Steve too for running yet another consistent FLM... in 2:47:55!