Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Comments

• Options

Just popping in to say hello to a fellow Super Sixer.

Have a teetotal Christmas, lay off the mince pies and prepare mentally for January 5th.

Actually, no. Get mullered, eat cake and stuff any thoughts of training hard right up Santa's left nostril.

• Options

I also meant to mention that we have been given the services of a team GB nutritionalist. I am doing a weeks food diary at the moment and it is indeed an eye opener and quite scary process. It is certainly keeping me out of the kids selection boxes! I shall pass on any interesting information when she has analysed my diet/training etc and makes any recommendations etc.

We could have a race or help each other along Speedy!

Astride - there you are you busy bee, who do we mutually know then now that the cat is out of the bag? I have been wondering.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Well done Sue

Liz is a great coach.

regards

G
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    None meant and none taken indeed
  • Options

Thank you Gobi. I must admit that I was pleased to find I had been paired with Liz. Hoping I can make myself and others proud. It's a great opportunity.

TR - that's alright then, just checkingimage

Just a 3 mile jog tonight. I loved it as I hadn't run yesterday. Found it hard to jog and even harder to turn round after 1.5 miles but this really is meant to be a cut back week and I am doing what is advised.

I just love running though!!!!!!

• Options

I know what you mean Sue, my easy 5 turned into 5.6 with a 'continuous hill session' in the middle - you run up and down the hill at the same pace without stopping. Never done one of those before. I'd tagged along with the Elswick Harriers on their last pre-Christmas training session. Not quite as easy as planned but it wasn't all out either. Oops.

No running tomorrow. I ... will... exercise.... self.... control!

• Options

Hi Sue - congrats again, wishing you a merry Christmas and Happy New Year - an exciting time ahead for all of us. Aiming for 3.20 myself - so will be following your schedule like a hawk!

• Options

sue,

amazed and impressed by the volume/speed/breadth of your training so far, roll on 3.15. it seems like liz is already giving you lots of advice, which is excellent.

hope you give yourself a day or two off over xmas. 

my food diary's fallen to pieces. i know little about training but common sense says that a happy runner is a good runner, and if wine is part of creating happiness it would be foolish to remove that from the nutritional intake. 

dan 

• Options

Dan - you are alive!! I completed my food diary last night so this morning had (Enid Blyton style) thick white bread toasted with lashings of butter with no GUILT!!! Enjoy your Christmas, have a lovely break (but not from the wine!)

Run Sho Run - 3.20 is more likely in my book too to be honest but I will see how the training goes and hope! Do stick around, it's nice to have lots of contributions.

Speedy - I might have a little jog today too if I can! I live in a really hilly area so I haven't specifically hill trained but it is supposed to be great for leg strength. I find the hills can be quite tiring though and I think you are supposed to do this kind of work at the outset of marathon training rather than nearer to M day (but what do I know!)

• Options
    Given that FLM is about as flat as flat gets then hill training surely isn't too important for this one. Specificity and all that. I went to a seminar in November on marathon training and the guy who took it was really big on specific training for a specific event. I'm not sure how practical that is though, where I live you can't move an inch without going up or down a big hill unless you drive to the canal path. Besides, I like hill training!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Congrats Sue,

I will be tracking with interest, I shall be 2 weeks behind as Im a REJECT........ so doing Halstead Mara instead on May 10, with 3:15 the aim....

all the very best in your / everyones trg.

But first off all time to put some weight on for the next few days.........! Dont feel too guilty as done 11m in a nice easy 1:31:23 this morning.

Happy Christmas all

• Options

RFJ - I am doing Edinburgh on 31st May as well as London. Having tried to train through two summers in preparation for a autumn marathon I now know that it doesn't work with my life/family so I am hoping to get two races out of one training campaign. Astride did it with great results last year and it does gives me options if the training or race day hits problems.

Speedy - didn't realise you were oop North too!

I did sneak out for a run, just 3 miles but it felt great again. Can't wait to get cracking!

Spent the rest of the afternoon at the cinema, chomping on 'pick 'n' mix', drinking Coke etc then out for tea in an effort to tire the kids out pre Christmas Day. Having consumed various high fat options and drank 2 glasses of wine I am so glad today isn't a 'diet sheet' day.

Hope everyone has a super super FANTASTIC Christmas. Enjoy it allimage

• Options

Only for Christmas Sue, then I'm retreating back to the Midlands. Much as I love Newcastle it's just not home anymore.

Did you succeed in wearing the kids out? Unlikely at this time of year!

My planned little run this morning had to be cancelled due to impending lurgy - tight chest and irritating chesty cough. Can't risk it with my history of horrendous lung problems. I find that when I'm eating or drinking I don't cough, so I'm lots of both of those!

• Options

Hope you are feeling better soon Speedy.

Hope everyone has had a lovely break.

I haven't run for two days due to Christmas festviites/social stuff etc but hoping to get out this morning for 8-10 miles.

I know that's a bit long but Mr C is then going off for a couple of days to his brothers to play golf so I might not get out at all.

I am not used to doing so little and I am all at sixes and sevens with myself!

Not that I am a creature of habit or anything..............................

• Options

Right I will not past again until 5th Jan,  but you runners just can't help yourselves! 

Sue I am very proud of the fact you are being disciplined enough to rest, it is hard to rest when you are so into your running, but it will make you a better athlete when the time counts!   Remember it is not about being fit now, or in January, but on the 26th April!!

Happy New Year, and all the best for 2009, and enjoy some nice down time now while you can!

Liz

• Options

Sue - I think Liz is on to you!

Hi Liz.

When you next post, I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind the reduced mileage you are advising Sue to do. I am approaching the sub 3:15 from a different direction i.e. building lots of base mileage early on and then working on speed. I have always reasoned that if you have a decent base mileage built up from an autumn marathon then there is no point in cutting back just to build up again.  I am looking forward to hearing your views.

• Options

Does sales shopping count as resting? I've done two days worth. It included two sprints for the bus so I definately can't count it as complete rest image.

Did you get out for your 8 or so miles Sue? I'm rather jealous. However, the cough seems to be easing so I'm hoping to get out for a slow little plod on monday.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    I still dont have my trg plan, coach is still working on it, just been told to keep with the base within set pacing bands.... all is well at present and hope all will be well for the future too.....

5k TT for me today, 19:09 and 6th place, faily happy with that considering the food I have eaten in the last few days........
  • Options

That is indeed an excellent result RFJ, amazed at your progress over the last few months. Are you doing any speedwork then or is the racing that you are doing your faster training? I was wondering about that myself, the only faster running I have done since the 30 November is one XC race.

Speedy - 2 days shopping, your powers of endurance are greater than mine. Hope you got some bargains! Mr C did pretty well this year, I really like the clothes he bought me for Xmas (not always the case)

Caterpillar Girl - If Liz told me run 20 miles every day until M day or run as hard as I can until I dropped I would tootle off and gladly do it. I am actually finding it desperately hard to NOT run, much harder than I thought!

I did run today (before I realised Liz had already started reading the thread - oops) because I can't run for the next 2 days due to Mr C and his golf competition and I hadn't run for 2 days prior to today, 5 days off would have sent me rather insane!!

I wasn't quite disciplined enough just to do 3 miles today, I did 6 at a steady 8.25mm, just enough to keep me sane. Total for week er....about 12 miles. I have been averaging about 40 mpw.

Roll on 5th January!!!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Sue, yes only use races for speedwork at present, but have been told that speedwork will be a big part of the trg.
  • Options

But....

I was disciplined enough not to run today even though both kids ended up their mates houses this afternoon so an unexpected running opportunity came up.

I did the ironing instead.

Mulled wine is very nice btwimage

• Options

Hi Sue.  Congratulations on your win!  I noticed you are in Leeds and we have the 5k time trial at Hyde Park every Saturday morning if you haven't done it yet.  Starts at 9 and is child friendly too - my daughter has done it once and now likes to help out although I think it may be just the marshall vest that she likes!  Details are on http://www.parkrun.com.

Good luck with your training.  I am doing Edinburgh, but will be nowhere near your speed! 

• Options

Hi Dippycat - don't think that you are that far behind me (sneaked a look at your forum posts) Thanks for the info, I do know that some of my club mates do this one regularly and speak highly of the race.My kids usually have clubs etc which prevent me from getting over to that side of Leeds on Saturdays at that time but I had considered it maybe for next summer when it's the holidays and I am not marathon training and rather slower!

I will admit however that 5ks are not my favourite distance!

Have you any build up races in our area planned?

• Options

I don't think 5k is my distance either really.  I can't seem to get as fast as my time predicts!  Changed my goal so that I am treating it as more of a tempo run instead and that way I don't get disappointed!

Brass Monkey is my next big one.  Did I read that you were doing that too?  Looking forward to it - everyone goes on about how good it is.  Then I have Dewsbury 10k, Leeds Half and a couple of others in between image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of us truely like the 5km races but they are good speedwork and a great place to check your progress is a ParkRun. I get to watch my times vary depending where I am in my training cycle.

Rach and I support the ParkRun in Basingstoke.

No matter how good or bad I am running though they always hurt !!!!!
  • Options

Agreed, hate those 5k's but I fear they are a necessary evil.

Sue, what's on the cards for you this week? For me, I'm just trying to get into a routine again.

• Options

<lurks>

With the mighty support of the sub 3.15 and sub 3 threads behind you, you will fly, Sue.

• Options

Thanks Jools.

Glad you dropped in but I will post this on sub 3.15 too. I know that you had issues with the strap size on the 305, having owned one myself and having been given a 405 as part of the prize then I assume that (like me) you will also have similar difficulties with the strap for this too. Our kindly Garmin contact posted me a much much smaller strap which is perfect for the more 'petite' individual. Mine fits so much more tightly and picks up a correct HR immediately rather than 3 miles into the run.

Let me know if you need one and thanks for the above!

Gobi - they hurt too much for my liking but I do take you point that they are a great form of speedwork, I do need to get out of my comfort zone somewhat, I think that's why I prefer distance over speed - quite simply it hurts less! How's the training going? Are you doing insane mileage still? Are you doing FLM?

Dippy - Yes I am doing the famous and aptly named Brass Monkey! It's as flat as you will get although a little exposed. Probably too early on in marathon training to smash pb's (for me anyway) but it's difficult not to do a half decent time there. Great race, extremely well organised and some super marshalls, you will do well given a decent run up I am sure. Dewsbury is also great for a pb usually although times were down last year as it was blowing a gale. 'Tis not the most scenic of courses but flat again (well, slight incline for the first half, slight decline for the second when it is hurting!)

Astride - I thought that I might just follow the weekly training suggest by the runners world email seeing as though I will be doing one of their garmin based schedules anyway. It's not particularly heavy on the miles (so I should be ok with Liz!) and easy/steady running in the main. How bout you, did you have a lovely break?

Today I did as prescribed and ran 5 miles 'easy'. The suggested pace for this run was 8.33mm. I averaged 8.27mm over an undulating route and it did indeed feel easy. I felt rested and able to go a lot more quickly had I needed to (I certainly wanted to!) I didn't though Liz!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sue

I find having the 5kms around at least means I will do some speedwork.

Training is going well now, this is week 4 for me and I am doing 90-100miles a week again but that will probably go up a little more yet.
    My 1st marathon of 2009 is in less than 4 weeks !!! The joys of being an ultra distance runner :¬)

FLM - hell no I hate it so have entered Shakespeare instead. The marathon has a big ZERO on my priority scale this year and will just be a tired legs long hard run.

regards

G
  • Options
    Sue, great xmas thanks but completely wii'd out. How come kids manage to do all this stuff so effortlessly? How was yours? Hope Mr. C coping with having a famous wife.