Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Options

What..car hasbeen stuck in the snow since Tues?  How bad have you had it?

I'm feeling very smug as I've just completed a 5m tempo at 7.55m/m.  I'm doing a 10m race on Sun, so just need to work out what pace to aim for so I don't crash out.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Impressive tempo - you deserve to feel a bit smug.

Snow's been quite bad really, but the car thing is just that we've got a longish sloping drive that just sends my Clio sliding everywhere but up it. I'm confident that I'll get out tomorrow, though! The forecast suggests it will stay above freezing tonight, too, so I'll bike to work in the morning if I can then drive to the shops in the afternoon for the first time in two weeks.

Did 2M brisk today at about 7.15 pace which I felt hugely pleased about until I looked at my log and saw I'd managed 3M at 7.04 pace before Abingdon. Well, it's a start.

Good luck on Sunday!

• Options

It's early days isn't it! 

It's always bad news when you look back at last year...I just worked out I've done 60m this month (and it's only the 15th), but then I looked at last year and I'd done 64m by this time last year.  Damn!

Just back from a gentle 8m this morning...now looking forward to no more running until Sunday.  Whoopee!

• Options

Not a bad run for me on Sunday morning...did the 10m in 1.20.59, but it was much hillier than I was expecting, and more importantly I got my pace right, with a slow start and strong finish.  I've got another in 2 weeks, so I'll see if I can improve in the intervening time.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done on Sunday, Lake - that's really good going on a hilly course. Sounds like your training's very much in the right zone.

I'm having a bit of a struggle with a sore knee and can't get in as many miles as I'd like to to keep the UK stats up! IM training is off to a reasonable start, though. I've cycled in to work twice this week, and may even be starting to enjoy the swimming, though the sessions start at 2.4km which is a lot for me.

Skiing next week. The hotel has a gym, with a treadmill last time we went, and a tiny pool. There may even be an exercise bike. Could be interesting.....

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Lake - where are you? You're being named and shamed on the UK vs USA thread, but I know you've got miles to post!
  • Options

Ok ok...all caught up now.  I don't know - I disappear for a few days and no-one can cope without me.

I've wimped out of a 10m this morning....slightly too hung over/ tired/ can't be a@rsed.  

Note to self...must run later.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Lake, sorry to have hassled you.

I have done the same this morning, for similar reasons  - needed to get the weekend Long run in before travelling tomorrow. I'd probably be wimping altogether as I've got masses of stuff to do, but this wretched UK/USA thing will probably force me out later. Roll on Feb 1st!

• Options

Morning all. Long time no see

I'm really struggling to post at the moment, as work is really busy

I've definately fallen back a bit on the pace side since last year, but 3 weeks into my VLM training, I think I'm running at a slightly better level than last year. You guys have really moved up a level!

my 10 miles last Sunday was 9:03 miles which was comfortable, and I am running at around 8:45 for my midweek hour long runs, I'm hoping to add some additional runs into my schedule from last year, as ultimately I don't think I had enough miles under my belt prior to London.

Now Joddly how are you managing to fit training for London and Outlaw together?

I am following the "beginner triathlete" (The 1/2 ironman schedule was excellent for Vitruvian)  20 week programme for Outlaw so have no specific triathlon training at the moment, other than dropping a recovery run for a turbo session and continuing with my Thursday night swim session. Would be interested to hear your views on training. Although not too sure about your cycling in the ice I read about on the Outlaw thread!!

• Options

Hess...Good to hear from you!  Sounds like you are in good shape as well.  How was Vitruvian?

Joddly...have fun skiing.  I'm very jealous, not having been for about 20 years (I think).

And me?....note to self - don't wimp out of running in the morning 'cos of the rain, only to have to run in the evening, in the rain, dark, and inches of mud (as it rained ALL DAY!).  I'm not sure my shoes will ever dry out.

• Options

".....all on my own, hum hum hum"

Well I had a half decent 15m this morning, the middle 9 of which were wit the club that I havn't been along to for ages.  Pleased to get the long run out of the way.

I'll just go back to sitting on my own now.

• Options

<peeps round the corner>

Aaah, Lake.  Feeling sorry for yourself?

Never fear, I am still stalking you all.

Glad you all survived the ice & snow.  Hope Joddly is having a lovely holiday.  Wickett & I have just booked a little break for our 10th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks and unsurprisingly the main criteria involved a pool and somewhere locally that running could happen.  And shopping. Most vital.

I'm back running, gently & slowly.  Have the results from my MRI tomorrow, but the knee is getting better all the time, so I'm ever hopeful.  I'm sticking to not going out for longer than 30 mins and walk running, until someone tells me better but it is GLORIOUS to be back out again.  An injury really gives you a sense of how brilliant it is to be able to run.

Hess - are you doing Outlaw too?

• Options

Hi Wotsit, long time no hear and all that.....

Tough 10m this morning, on tired legs from an intervals session last night.  Not too enjoyable.

I've got another 10m race this weekend, so just thinking whether to do a tempo tomorrow night........hmmmmm

• Options

Oh well, too late now I suppose. 

Did 6m tempo, didn't want to do it beforehand, and now feel knackered. Ouch.

• Options

Oooooh, 10m race this morning.  Ran a really evenly paced 1.18 (about 7.49m/m) and really pleased with that.  2 mins faster than the same course 2 years ago.

Even better, had to wait for my daughter at a birthday party, so took my son to 'Laser Planet' for a couple of hours.....great way to spend an afternoon.  Beating all these little kids at games.  Cracking.

• Options

Bully image

I'm back to no running again, having been stuck down with horrid cold that has now morphed to laryngitis.  I have no voice at all today.  Lucky I don't have a house full of small children and a job that needs me to project my voice a lot.  Oh, ar$e.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Just back from a great skiing trip to Austria. I didn't ski all the time, and even missed one day completely as it was snowing too much, but that suited me fine. I did get to the gym every day, though, including the day we arrived and managed to stick pretty closely to the RW 3.30 schedule. My treadmill pace was very shabby, though, and my main motivation was the RWUK vs RWUSA challenge!

Had a lousy long run today, so obviously the altitude training didn't work.

Wotsit - nightmare. I do hope you recover soon (and def before your hols) and am sending healing vibes. Did the MRI show anything?

Lake - wow, there's no holding you back! Well done, you great bully...image

And Hess - welcome back!! Sounds like we're following similar strategies. Although I'm using Don Fink's programme, which is now in week 3, I'm concentrating on running for now as I (still) really want to get that Sub-3.30. I'm failing so far to fit in enough swimming sessions, so need to improve a lot there, and will bike to work when it seems sensible (eg. not tomorrow - I am learning!). I'll try to keep the long bike session in. It'll be a bit random, I think.................

• Options

Hi Everyone

Lake - Impressive 10 miler that. I haven't checked back through, are you doing London this year?

Wotsit - Hope you're feeling better, and yes I'm doing Outlaw 

Joddly - Glad to see you've had a break, although i wouldn't say we had similar strategies (3.30 marathon!!!!!!!)

Good week for me last week, I'm now upto 14 miles LSR at around 9 m/m and I'm running 6 miles tempo at around 8 m/m. I've had no reoccurance of the injury since switching back to my old Asics trail shoes, so am sticking with them at the moment.

My Ironman training doesn't start until March, although I am cycling for about 2 hours a week, and swimming once a week. I am a bit scared as everyone else is following a 30 week programme and have started alreadyimage

Joddly if you are having problems with the swim I maybe able to help as one of my training partners is a swim coach, and does one 2 one lessons on a Thursday night in St Albans (Don't know if it is local for you), she is really good, and if you are interested I could put yo in touch (She doesn't have minimum number of sessions, so you could just have one session or ten!). I know I'm from a swimming background, but I think with some structured training and a bit of a pointer you can get through an Ironman swim on one or two sessions a week

Anyway hope everyone has a great week I will try and post more frequently from now on

Hess 

• Options

<shakes pom poms for Hess>

I'm practicing for my IM supporting role, you see. image

Joddly - MRI showed an ITB injury but also that I had damaged my ACL, though its now healed.  I suspect that is what was hurting me so much after Beachy Head, but was quite gobsmacked that my physio never mentioned it at all, despite having  too much flexion in the joint.  Anyhoo, the upshot is the the ITB bit is almost all better and the idea is to keep running gently and building up slowly and see how it goes.  Cons said something about an injection into the ITB if it doesn't allow the build up.  But hoping that being sensible will prevent that.

A least it showed all clear on the cartilege front, which is a relief image

Sod the holiday - its more important that the voice is recovered before this weekend when Wickett & the kids are off to his parents' house to give me a break from the weekend solo parenting game, while he trains, and I have the girls over to play SingStar.  No voice = lose and I am NOT keen on losing.

• Options

Lots going on tonight!

Good to have you back in the country Joddly...I'm really impressed that you managed to keep up with the training on a dreadmill...I can't do more than 30 mins without wanting to chew my own arm off just for something to do.  I see (from the USA challenge) that you did about 190 miles in Jan.....that's some serious mileage!  Good work!

Wotsit - oh dear.  Bad news on the vioce front, good news (I think) on the injury front.  I hope my wife doesn't start to get ideas about  Singstar...that would be unpleasant.

Hess - me' old mucker....no I'm not doing London (I think they're scared of me) so I'm doing Paris instead...two weeks earlier than London, and a bit quieter I'm told (and no sponsorship either).  Good to hear the training is going well & you're back to your old ways.

Crickey, I'm having flashbacks to last year.

P.s. Just back from hill sessions.....pleased with my pace, especially so soon after my 10m race, but quite knackered now.  Going to put my feet up I think.

• Options

Oooooh, feeling sore after an unexpected 20m this morning.    Kind of started and then didn't stop.

An afternoon in front of the telly beckons.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Lake - I saw your training logged on Fetch. To start with I was worried as you only seemed to have managed a short "long run", but then I realised you'd done 3 of them. And at a very good pace, too. Hope you enjoyed your well-deserved telly session.

I managed 18 today, and felt better in myself than last week (when I forgot to take any fluid) but knee pretty sore. I can't work out what's wrong with it...!

• Options

Oh dear Joddly....bad news about the knee - take it easy as it's still early days.  Could the cycling be affecting it at all?

I've just got in from a 9m easy run in near-hurricane conditions, at the freezing seafront.  Just horrible.  Did some good mile intervals last night...managed the last two at about 7.16m/m, which is quite for me.  Then again I did think I might have cracked a rib at the end as I just couldn't catch my breath.  Not great.

I've got a HM on Sunday, quite a hilly one in Dover.  Last year I managed 1.49, and I'm trying to work out how to run it this year to give myself an edge.

• Options

Roller skates might give you an edge?

I'll get my coat....

• Options

But good luck!

Hope the knee is feeling better Joddly.  

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Hope you're in good voice again Wotsit.

Huge congratulations on finishing your session this morning - fun, was it?

I set out for 10 x 2min hill reps (1st run since Sunday)  in sunshine, but by rep 2 it was blizzard conditions. Bailed out on the 4th mainly because I wanted to get to work before I couldn't get down the road. Of course, 10 minutes from home there were blue skies and little trace of snow. Mind you, had an interesting time on the hill down from home avoiding a van sliding everywhere....

So running still not going particularly well. Knee wasn't so bad, though. I don't think it can be bike-related as, if anything, that seems to make it better. Old age probably.

Swimming's OK this week so far! Done 2 sessions already, both 2.5k and can't believe I'm doing that distance without too much trouble. Very slow, though. Another session tomorrow.

Not much biking as I'm now being very wimpy about ice. It doesn't seem worth taking chances at this stage, when in a few weeks the ice will have gone.

Good luck on Sunday, Lake.

Wonder what Hess is up to....?

• Options

Afternoon all.

23 miles for me this morning, which has me feeling quite stiff now, but pleased I've done it.  My HM was cancelled due to snow - we had quite a bit on Wed/Thu.   I managed a very slippery 6m on Thu evening, which was fun but hazardous.

Good to hear about the swimming Joddly...are you feeling like an (potential) ironman yet?  I think you're probably very sensible to keep off your bike in these conditions...plenty of time when the weather improves.  I"m sure your knee will mend, it'll just take time!

Thanks for the tip about roller skates Wotsit....but I have to say that although I'd be quicker, I'd be much more likely to fall over alot.

• Options

Morning all

Good weeks training for me although last weeks LSR was not quite as planned

Managed to run 3 or 4 quality sessions last week which I'm pleased about, as quite often I feel I'm just running the miles for the sake of it!  Managed 1.5 hours on the Turbo trainer ( A world record for me, God its boring)

14 miles for me yesterday at 9 minute miles, I've then got two more longer runs (16 & 18) before the VLM training plan is shelved and I move onto the Ironman training programme, I'm a little nervous about this, but I have received so much advice on the subject that I'm just going to run with it. Ultimately I want to complete the Ironman, which is more important than running a 3:45 or even sub 4:00 marathon for me.

The mileage you guys run on this thread is seriously impressive, I feel so far behind you now, but it does inspire me to JFDI

Hope you have a great week  

Hess