Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Options

Cracking effort Lake No way i could hold that sort of pace for 20 miles

Now for my report, haven't checked official times yet, but very pleased with a (unofficial) 1:43:27. Splits were a bit all over the place as this is a very hilly course early on, but can confirm that the last mile is all down hill, and I remember clocking 6:46 for the last mile! The 09:00 mile for the all up hill 3rd mile cancelled it out!

Really enjoyed the race. Wasn't going to push, but after the third mile I was really enjoying it. Although not a PB that is the best I have felt over a half marathon ever. Cycled the 6 miles there, which was a very good warm up, althought the return trip was much slower.

Joddly- Thanks for the spot, and another 20 miler for you, how are you fitting this all in, you must have a very tolerant family!

45 minute recovery tonight, but feeling good at the moment, so hoping it won't be too bad

• Options

6.46 for the last mile!   Downhill or not, that's a cracking pace.

It's official - we're all on fire this year.

• Options

Evening all

Hope everyone is running well...and enjoying the sunshine.  I know I am.  So much better than those dark nights.

Oh yes!...I have news......after my hill intervals last night I thought I'd try an ice bath, just to see what difference it made, as I was planning quite a long run today.  Despite it being really very unpleasant, I can report that it does work, the fatigue is still there, but the stiffness goes (oooh missus).    I did it again after a long run this morning, and again, feeling tired but not sore like previously.

Although it is't nice, the after effects are worth it!

• Options
    Where do you get all the ice from!!!
  • Options

Initially, I'm just using a bit of frozen ice in cups from the freezer....but it's so cold outside at the moment that the temperature coming out if the taps is cold enough (for me).

13m tempo run for me tonight - just slightly faster than MP although it was hard work.

Even better, I've managed to get a place in the Shakepeare marathon on 25th April, two weeks after Paris, in case Paris goes pear-shaped.  Any thoughts on what sort of running to do between the two marathons?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

This all suggests taking things rather seriously - looks like you're going to beat me to 3.30 image!

V impressed by the ice, but might try it myself, though it's more fatigue than stiffness in my case.

Re running between two marathons - as little as possible? Biking would be a good idea, though.

Hess - I do have a very tolerant family....so far.....

• Options

Just back from an 'oh so slow' 7m, but really pleased that I'm now finished for the week (until Sunday).

Joddly - I'm flattered, but I have no chance of 3.30...even thinking it will put me off my game plan (of beating 3.50 or 3.45 at a push).  I have this annoying tendency of doing better in training than on the day.

Do try the ice...if only so you can experience the pain (and for other people to think you're absolutely nuts).

• Options

I've been encouraging Wickett to try the ice thing, inbetween his long bike on Saturday and long run on Sunday.  He's not keen, mostly because he remembers the pain of having done it during training for his first marathon when he had a tweaky hamstring.  Wuss!

Some fab running here!  Well done on the race Hess image

The lovely Wickett ran Llanelli HM last weekend, which I'd thoroughly recommend, if you can guarantee the weather.  1.27, a mere 6 mins off his previous PB at silverstone last year.  I'm very proud (and enjoying vicarious racing!)

Knee on the mend... finally!  20 whole minutes non stop running this week!

• Options

Morning all

Feeling rubbish. I've had a stinker of a cold since Friday, and its been a bugger to shift. Last run was a very gentle 40 minutes with a work colleague. I managed 40 minutes on the Turbo Friday night, and stupidly went out for two hours on the bike yesterday morning (result - Felt rubbish all day on mothers day, so couldn't really look after the wife for the kids, not very thoughtful!)

Suffered from apres race blues during the week, but found out that my brothers friend came 3rd at the Half marathon (74 minutes!!!!) I'm waiting for him to give me a programme for a sub 1:40 half next year.

I'm hoping that this cold will have passed for tomorrows run, I'm going to take today off. Cycling partners are all off to the velodrome at the weekend (V. jealous as I went last year, and it is great fun, if you get a chance you should have a go) so I will drop my long bike ride for a 20 miler on Sunday.

Good efforts all round, especially Wicketts 1:27. Don't think I'll be trying the Ice bath until later in the spring, if at all.

Hess

• Options

Still feeling dreadful

Tried 60 minutes last night, struggled to run at 9:10/miles and felt awful when I got in. In fact felt worse than I had for a couple of days. 45 minute tempo at lunchtime which ended up being 50 minutes of pain! Everything hurt, so I'm going to rest until Friday afternoon now (excluding tomorrows swim) and see what happens.

Haven't really had a recovery week yet, so maybe I need a few days off

Everyone OK, haven't heard from you guys for a few days now?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry you're still feeling rough, Hess - it's definitely time for a rest week.

I'm a bit tired but doing OK, I think. It's difficult to say if I'm still on for 3.30 as I'm always feeling slightly weary and never quite on form, but I think I've stayed the right side of overtraining so far...

Today's plans have gone rather astray. I cycled to the pool (near work) but found I had forgotten my cossie, so that's failed! We were going to be busy for the rest of the day but have deferred until tomorrow, so I now have to try to get out for 11M "steady". Well, I'm not going to push it, so it'll prob have to be a fairly easy pace, but 'll still go for 11. Seems like a long way today.

Haven't tried the ice baths yet!

• Options

Morning all...

Sorry to hear you're not on great form Hess - I'm sure it'll pass.  As you said, probably just need a rest week (especially after your race).  Get well soon!

Joddly - ditto with the 'i'm tired' feeling.  I guess you must just be about in the middle of your 'monster month' in your VLM training, so it'll soon be over!

Having said that, I've got just one week before I taper, and I can sense my motivation to do the mileage slipping slightly.  I had last night off (rather than my usual tempo run) as I was feeling so tired (sleepy tired, rather than fatigued), and I'll try to do it Sat night.  Work has been a bit mental, and my wife has had an op (which isn't a problem, but my mother is staying to help out - oh god) so it feels like I just need to slow down a bit.

However, on the positive side, I've done about three runs in my Union Jack shorts (specially for the Paris marathon) which gets me lots of funny looks, and my wife is all planned for the weekend in Paris.

• Options

Hmm rest days are not good!

Just bought a new bike and wetsuit best part of £1000.00 goneimage

beginning to feel better, but still very congested , Swam last night for 2000m was hoping for 2.5k, but thought it would be sensible to stop. Going to rest until Sunday and then go for a 3 hour run. Time on feet not distance will be important, just suffering from a lack of confidence, early onset of taper madness!

Glad to her you are all oK, hope the wife recovers quickly Lake

Speak on Monday

• Options

Morning all

Feeling much better now, and back on with the training

Ran the most unprepared 18 miler ever on Sunday. It would've been embarassing if I was just starting out, but i've been runing for over  5 years nowimage; here is my story

So Sunday morning little one wakes at 5:00, put her in bed with mum go downstairs and get ready for my run. have glass of water and half a banana, and off I go. Ithought I'd get some lucozade at the local petrol station , but guess what, I left the house without my money, and no front door key! Anyway i always carry a few pence in my running rucksack just in case. I had the princely sum of 80p. Not enough for a bottle of water! but imagine my delight at finding that Ribena was on sale at 80p a carton. I can now say that a 330ml carton of Ribena is sufficient for me to run 18 milesimage.

Anyway hope you are all well, and that the training is going well. Your marathon must be fairly soon now Lake

Hess

• Options

Hi Hess, good to hear you're all sorted...and had a good 18m.  Even as I sit here, I'm imagining your delight at finding a carton of Ribena at 80p.  Magic.  I'm now trying to imaging the colour of your wee afterwards.....kind of pinky-orange I assume.....like a liquidised blood-orange perhaps.

I'm just back from my intervals, 6x800m, which were fine except that I set them up on my Garmin with only a short recovery (0.06m) so only had about 40secs between them - having said that I managed them at about 7.00m/m versus the 7.30m/m I was doing on the same run in January (with longer recoveries) so at least I can see my progress.

I did a gentle 23m on Sunday (also at 5am) which felt fine, although slow.

Ooooh Hess, can you give me some details about your new bike...I was looking at the again in a bike shop, and just chatting to the assistant about them.  I'm keen to get one, but I'm obviously keen to learn a bit first.  My inclination is to get a decent second hand one first (not because of the cost, but in case I don't get on with the cycling) but there doesn't seem to be much of a market online for them.  How did you choose...apart from it being light, is there any killer feature I should get?

Joddly - you still alright out there?

P.s. Paris is less than 3 weeks away....I'm just beginning to get jittery (and my union jack shorts are just beginning to stop rubbing)

• Options

Morning all

Hmm won't go into details on the pee, but you ccan rest assured that your guess wasn't far off. As a result recovery after Sunday has been slower than usual and the legs are feeling very sore

Now don't get me started on bikes.

My new bike is a Planet-X SL Pro Carbon in white (She will be very sexy when built up and delivered. I'll post some pictures).

Advice on bikes as follows;

Go to a good local bike shop and get some advice. The most important thing is that you get a bike that fits you properly. A good bike shop will go through this with you in detail, and at no cost. You may feel inclined to buy a bike from them at the end however. They maybe able to point you in the direction of second hand bikes from your local club(s). Failing that once you know what frame size you need you can always have a look on Ebay or similar.

Second hand bikes are a great way to start, and if you are about 6ft tall, then I have a cracker!

Taper madness Lake!

HEss

• Options
    Interestingly, i am exactly 6ft tall.
  • Options

Then I have a lovely Univega Via Laser for sale. Once the new bike has arrived I'm going to put it up for sale on Ebay probably be about £300-350. Will let you know before I sell it in case you are interested. Its got me round 4 oly triathlons and a half ironman so it can't be bad, and I do look after my bikes!

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Have you chaps sealed the deal, yet then?

Anyone seen a taper? I guess you have, Lake - I'm desperate for one! Had a dreadful 20-miler this morning, brought forward because I want to do a sportive on Sunday. I couldn't drag my pace above 9 min miles and was shattered by the end. Hoping it's just training overload, and that next month I will shed my weariness and skip around London at 8 min mile pace with ease....

Hess - you've got me looking at bikes now, but I shall be trying to resist. Maybe Sunday will put me off altogether (60 miles round Milton Keynes in the wind and rainimage)

Is it bedtime yet?

• Options

Tough 18m for me this morning...isn't it strange how sometimes the shorter runs feel harder than the longer ones.  I was mullered after 18...yet two weeks ago I did 26 (although a bit slower) - very odd. 

Still, I have officially had a visit from Mr Tapir, and I'm very pleased to see him.  Just two weeks to go!

• Options

Morning all

well it didn't rain on Sunday for us so hope the ride was OK Joddly.

Managed to get out for about two hours on the bike, so around 30 miles or so. Running on hold a bit at the moment as i have a slight groin strain. Going for a gentle 45 mins tonight to see how things are. Then its hols for a week! Will be doing plenty of running in cornwall so should be feeling strong when i get back

New bike arrived yesterday, still have a few bits to get for it, but once finished I'll post some pictures up on FETCH. Looks very bling, although i might be moving in to the "All the gear, no idea" territory!

Will try and post whilst away, but if not train well, and in your case Lake taper well

Hess

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening.

Sunday was great, thanks. It turned out to be only 56 miles, which made me slightly grumpy at first, but since my time came in as 3.29.xx, I'm pleased again as I feel it must be an omen!!

I've been struggling today, though - an unexplained bonk halfway into work and generally feeling feeble. Brewing a bug, I suspect.

Very exciting news about your bike - looking forward to the pics. Between you & me I have my eye on a hideously expensive Bianchi, so would be ahead in the "all the gear..." stakes, esp with but one sportive under my belt!!

• Options

Evening all

Hope everyone running/bicycling etc is going well.

I'm feeling that familiar crappy taper nervousness, not particularly enjoying the little running I've got to do and promising I'll never do another marathon.

On the positive side, I get to dress up as a cowboy for work tomorrow.....I've even got a 'Sherriff'' badge, so things can't be all bad.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening.

Last Long Run done - 22.5 in 3.15. I've been browsing the sub-3.30 thread and they all seem to have cracked out theirs quicker and with lots left in the tank. Must stop looking at that sort of thing - on the whole, I think my marathon times are better than my training times, relatively speaking image.

Sherriff- did a bit of stalking on Fetch, and I hope the last runs are a bit more fun for you. I generally enjoy the last 4 and 2 milers and make a bit of an occasion of them. In fact for the final 2-miler, I drive a mile down the hill from where we live, park in a layby, and set off from there just so that I can avoid pushing too much on the hill! In race day kit, of course.

Where's Hess - off playing with his new bike, I guess. Where are the pictures?image

• Options

Morning guys......probably last post before I set off for Paris on Fri morn.  I can't believe I've just finished my last run (even if it was only 4m).

Right now, I'm not particularly enjoying the whole 'going abroad' thing.....so much more hassle than just going to London which is an just hours drive.  And even worse, the weather on Sunday in Paris is sunny, up to 17 degrees, which is terrible news for me - I want it cold and rainy.

Still, on the positive side, I've got 5 runs every week since Xmas under my belt, and I've lost count of the number of +20m runs, so I'm in good shape....I've just got to do it on the day.

Hope you guys enjoy your starting the taper....'bring on the taper madness!'

Probably speak to you in a few days.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Morning, Lake - cheer up, this is supposed to be fun!image

You do sound in great form, and will be on for a PB whatever the weather. I shall hate you if you go sub-3.30, though.....image.

I've got my taper virus now - perfect timing, as it'll be gone by race day and forces me to take things easier for a few days. However, I did only get about an hour's sleep last night, so feeling a bit woozy!

Very good luck on Sunday - looking forward to hearing your tales afterwards, and I'll think of you as I trot out for my leisurely 14 miles that day image.

• Options

Morning all

Back from windy cornwall. Can tick off the hill training!!!!!! That coast path is murder.

Got in two hour long runs which isn't too bad, but not as many as I'd hoped for. Did an hour last night and as the wife and kids are still away, will try and do my last long run tonight after work (6:00 - 9:00).

New bike is now built up, but doesn't look like I'll be out on it for another week or so. Took some piccies yesterday on the phone, I'll try and paste on Fetch later. Only put the peddles on yesterday, so still not even ridden it yet!

Having a bit of a pre taper wobble at the moment, as i don't feel I've run enough in March, but I suppose we'll see in three weeks time 

Whats the Cowboy deal Lake! week and a half to go?

Pleased to announce that fund raising for the Marathon is going well (Just in case you were interested) Our team of three have raised close to £5k! We still need another grand to reach the golden bond target!

• Options

Picture on Fetch. Not the best but you can get the idea

Wife is not feeling very well so is on her way back from Cornwall (long run shelved tonight!). Will now be doing 20 miler on Sunday. Should be enough time for recovery (I hope)

• Options
    Good luck at the weekend Lake image

My sister-in-law is also running at Paris, so if you spot a teeny tiny Brit with a part Welsh accent, moaning about her sciatica, her cold, her hips, her knees, her stomach and her feet, do give her a shove from me. And if she looks like she's going to finish faster than 4:46, can you trip her? image

Woo woo, bike bling! Wickett is apparently getting a new bike, but he's leaving it awfully late... much longer and I'll have spent the money I put aside for bike buying...

Happy taper everyone !
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Wotsit, good to hear from you. What are you planning on spending the bike money on?

V smart bike, Hess - when's the inaugural ride? Sorry to hear about the wife. Do you think maybe you should do 18'ish on Sunday, though as it's starting to get a bit close?

No training of any kind for me today as I'm a bit poorly, unless you count the test ride.... I may just have put down a deposit....image! Now I'm going to have to get really good at biking image.