Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Wow, Lake - which week of your programme are you on? 23 miles seems a bit steep for this time of year.... Perhaps it was out of frustration with the icy weather?image

Hess - my record for the turbo is 12 minutes. I'm interested in your plan to shelve the VLM schedule at some point. When are you doing your 16 and 18 runs? I guess if you're doing a 20 week schedule, that must mean you've got 5 more weeks of marathon training before switching. Can't be too much of a problem as there's only 7 more weeks from now until tapering. You'll be able to keep your fitness going on the bike, and arrive at Blackheath with legs fresh as a daisyimage!

Rest day today - work troublesome so I'm not sure about tomorrow yet.

I am, though, feeling very positive about completing the Outlaw. Less confident about the 3.30 VLM as I'm just getting slower at the moment, but I haven't abandoned hope yet!

• Options

Wow - 23 miles is very impressive, Lake!

As is 1.5 hours on a turbo.  Though i have managed a whole 50 mins in the past myself,  but i have to have a good dvd to watch and if the plot suddenly gets exciting i'm very aware of my cadence dropping.  Wickett did a 2hr turbo session a few weeks ago and i'll admit to being mildly concerned that it might have removed any option for us increasing our brood size in the future image

I've just organised childcare for Outlaw weekend, so will definately be around, with shaking pom-poms.

• Options

23 miles !!!! Next time I acheive this distance will hopefully be April 25th!

Joddly - I'm shelving the Marathon training plan at the begining of March. This is two weeks ahead of schedule, but allows for two fairly relaxed week of training either side of VLM. I'm following the Beginner Triathlete training programme for the IM, I feel most confident with this as I used their HIM plan when I did the Vit. There are some very long bike sessions, but they fall roughly in line with holidys etc. So somehow I should be able to juggle this around Work, Wife, and the Kids, although I can see a few 5 AM starts in early summer!

I hate the Turbo, but at the moment its the only real way to get any good quality cycle training in (I leave for work when its dark, and get home in the dark) Once the clocks change I will commute the 13 miles by Bike when possible. I definately worry about the effect on the downstairs department, as the Turbo is more uncomfortable than being out on the roadimage

Hess

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done to anyone that can cope with more than a token session on a turbo - especially you chaps with your bits.....image.

I'm starting to know what you mean, Hess, about the juggling (no longer talking about bits, btwimage). It's already worrying me and I'm dropping planned training sessions all over the place as I don't want to make compromises at work and at home. Home may have to suffer as August approaches, though........image

• Options

Am I right in thinking that a turbo is when you've got your rear wheel lifted off the ground, on a couple of rollers or something like that....so you can cycle to your  hearts content without going anywhere.  Sounds too much like a dreadmill to me.

Don't get too excited about the 23m I did on Sunday....my new strategy is to do about 7m before meeting with the group for a club run.  They I just switch off and follow the person in front until we finish.  No gels, not much to drink, not even that much conversation....just not thinking about much about anything.   I just need to work out how to translate that into a marathon-type race.    It is weeks earlier than my schedule, but I'm enjoying it, and I'm thinking 'why not'.

I'm liking the talk about starting a 20 week training schedule for Outlaws....I still can't get my head round how you get ready for all three disciplines at the same time.  The thought of doing a hard run and then getting on a bicycle fills me with horror.  Due respect to you guys!

Future goals - if all goes according to plan, I'm going to try to do a 50m in July....Wotsit, I'm sure you put up a link ages ago about ultra training....can you refresh my memory.

• Options

P.s Even though I'm on holiday with the kids this week, I was up at 5.15am to get out for 8m before the dentist at 8am. 

I think there must be something in the water.

• Options

Lake - there are some good ones here: http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

and even an RW one at the end of this article: http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

I'd tell you all about the plan Wickett uses, if he ever used one!  He basically just keeps upping the mileage and goes for back to back long runs towards the end of his training duration.  Have you read 'what I talk about, when I talk about running'?  Quite interesting, reading about how he coordinated his ultra training - though possibly likely to put you off ultra running... image

Joddly - I read something about a good return being that you complete 75% of all the sessions on an Ironman training programme.  Surely, unless you are Chrissie Wellington its got to be almost impossible?  Wickett has already had to ditch a couple of his - not least because 2 kids with norivirus and a wife with bronchitis isn't that compatible with ironman quality sleeep!

• Options

Morning All hope everyone had a nice weekend, with plenty of miles in!

16 Miles for me yesterday which was fairly uneventful until mile 11 when rather foolishly I deceided to have a little race with a fellow runner for about 3 miles! this meant the last two miles were very slow, in fact mile 16 took 10:17!!!! I'd like to say lesson learnt, but I should really know this already. Overall avg 9:07/mile so not bad.

This is now my last full week of Marathon Training, as I will start Ironman training next Mondayimage So 18 miles for me on Sunday and then we'll see how things go form there.

I've always fancied doing an Ultra, but I think I'm really carrying far too much excess baggage for this to be anything other than bad news for my knees! Good luck to you Lake, with the mileage you're doing at the moment I think 50 miles should be a breeze.

I've ordered the book Wotsit so will let you know what I think about it, and whether its put me off ultra running! (was looking for a good book to read so thanks for the link)

Train well

Hess

• Options

I was going to say 'piffle Hess - I've done an ultra carrying excess baggage' but then remembered about my knees image  So I'll shut up.

Enjoy the book.

My turn with the norovirus now.  I'm like a mdeical dictionary.

• Options
    ...or some other word that was closer to medical....
  • Options

Morning all.

Good to hear your going well Hess...I've got caught up in a 'race' wiht someone before, and actually found it quite diverting.  I do think that your state of mind during a LSR is more important than how your body feels - what I mean is that just when you're feeling tired & sore, you can still make your body go faster if you really want to (i.e. you start to race someone) - it's all about what your mind is doing.

19m for me on Sun.  I felt stiff before starting, and thought I'd cut it short before I made it any worse.  Interestingly, I spent most of the week feeling quite stiff, especially round the abdominal muscles, and just put it down to a particularly long run on the sunday.  My body didn't feel right for most of the week, and I struggled on my runs, with Wed & Thu being particularly nasty.  I didn't really associate it with anything, just a bad week (even though I was on holiday).  Went back to work yesterday, and after about 5 hours of being on my feet, I feel mostly back to normal.  I do a job that keeps me on my feet all day, usually walking around quite fast, and it appears that this is what I need to 'settle' my muscles.  I'm now almost looking forward to my intervals tonight.

Get well soon Wotsit, hope your family is returning the favour & looking after you properly.

Joddly....unless my eyes are decieving me on fetch, did you really do 60m biking on Sat, and then 20m-ish run on Sunday.  Wow!

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Lake - stop checking up on me!

I did do a "slowest" cyclist ride with my local club the other weekend - it is a very sedentary pace, and I cycled 10 miles there & back, with a 5 - 10 minute pause at the start. Felt a bit weary afterwards, but then R appeared and we went for a 4 mile run which was v interesting... The next day's long run (18) felt pretty hard & unpleasant!  So this weekend I wanted the first 20 of the campaign to feel tolerable and didn't bike at all on Saturday - that seemed to work image.  

Sorry about your long run, though - you definitely did the right thing, and I hope tonight's intervals will have proved it.

Wotsit - I hope your bug is as short-lived as it says in the mecidal textbooks image. Get well soon.

Hess - are you really not doing any more long runs after Sunday?! I think you said you're already doing a bit of cycling and swimming - it must be about the perfect time to start cranking up the biking now that the weather might finally be warming up.

• Options

Blimey all mega miles this week!!

Was going for a hilly 1.30 last night, but it was so late that I cut the run short after 1:20 (Only 10 mins) was very slow 9:20/mile, and I felt tired. I'm going to have a complete rest day today with a 5am fast 7 tomorrow and a 2000m swim in the evening, Friday will be an hour on the Turbo, and then my last marathon long run of 18 miles on Sunday.

From Monday I will be on the Ironman training plan, and hopefully will put in 2-3 work commutes on the bike each week, there are still quite a lot of 1:30 runs and one or two 2:00 hour runs, but its mainly big cycle mileage. Previously cycling fitness has translated well into my running, Whereas I find that running fitness does not convert as well into the cycling, so hopefully this will still be the case for VLM

Wotsit - Hope you're feeling better now, if not get well soon. Book still not arrived, so I'm still having to read cycling weekly, and trying not to order lots of expensive bikes or bits that the magazine seems full of adverts for.

Lake - Very heavy mileage there, are you getting sufficient rest? With the base prep you are putting in at the moment you must be aiming for sub 3:30?

Joddly - Thats a solid week. I have noticed in my training plan that the run and bike sessions are the other way around So you would do a long run on the Saturday with the Bike the next day, don't know if this would be better for you. All the same thats a pretty impressive start to the training. Are you doing any shorter distance events in the build up to Outlaw?

Hess

• Options

Morning all,

Just back from a 10m slow run, which felt quite hard after last nights intervals, but I'm glad it's out the way now.

Hess, good luck with the training - sounds like you've got it all worked out and are taking the 'long view' of getting the Ironman right.  How's the fundraising for VLM going (I must confess I don't envy you).  Thanks for your kind comments about my aiming for 3.30 - unfortunately, not a chance. I'd like to think I could get close to 3.50 on the day, but I'll settle for sub-4 (and a positive race on the day).

Joddly - I am checking up on you!  But only because alot of your runs & comments make me glad I've not signed up for an Ironman.  And stops me from making plans to do one next year!

• Options

Thank you everyone image

I'm much better and can even eat and everything image  But poor Wickett has the IronMansize version, so is tewwibly nauseous and just a teensy bit feeble still.  I'd put it down to him insisting on getting on the turbo less than 48 hours after he'd stopped being sick.   But what do I know?

Joddly - brief yes, but by God, severe for the kids.  Sick every 20-30 mins for the first 12 hours.  No fun.

Listening to all your impressive runs almost makes me want to be out there, running, myself.   Just the pesky cough to deal with and I'll be right with you...

Loving that lake is stalking Joddly!

• Options

Not stalking exactly.......

just following,

closely,

in the dark......

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hmm - think I'll tone down the commentaries on bowel issues etc for the time being, then.......

Knackered today - yesterday slotted in 14x2min hill reps on the bike back home from work, and today was 11 slow before cycling in, swimming, and cycling back home. It's a relief to be able to go out on the bike again, but combined with the marathon schedule it's all a bit much at the moment. Hoping the "bike legs" will develop in the next few weeks.

Wotsit - here's hoping you're all well soon.

Hess - I'm just doing the Swashbuckler (May 23rd or thereabouts), and the Chiltern 100 sportive (early June). Wondering about a shorter, low-key triathlon, but I'm a bit worried it'll put me off!

• Options
    Bowel issues - yuk.  Probably more detail than I really want actually.
  • Options

Swashbuckler looks fab image

Joddly - do you fetch by another name?  Scrub that... I've found you... and lake and hess.... let stalking commence.

• Options

I've said before, it's not stalking....just following.  Closely.

Well I'm back from the windiest, rainiest run i think I've ever done.  But I got into it...felt a bit like tunnel vision towards the end so not too tough.  Got a whopping blister in my nethers after running with wet shorts though.   Painful! 

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Now who's giving TMI ?image
  • Options

Morning all

Just under 19 miles  yesterday, although, i might count at least 2 miles as a swim session! The Weather was awful. Up at 05:30 (Smallest had just woken) so just got out there and got on with it. The weather has been so wet for so long, that I can't really run along the towpaths at the moment, as its just too slippery. Was supposed to be 18 miles but my IPod Nike thingy isn't very accurate, and i ended up running closer to 19. All the same very slow yesterday 9:20 miles but this felt surprisingly good, and I managed an 08:00 last mileimage. I've never really run this slow before, but I can see the benefit (At last you say!).

Ironman training starts today with 45 minute run tonight. Will feel a bit like a recovery week, this week, but I do have the Berko Half marathon on Sunday. I'm undeceided how to run it, so any suggestion welcome.

Lake - Remember the Vaseline next time. I think I was actually waterproofed Yesterdayimage, I had so much on.

Not too sure about this stalking, it means I'll have to update my profile.

Wotsit - Have started on the book, so far very good, hasn't put me off yet, although, I wish I had the time to train like that.

Joddly - You ran Berko last year as FLM prep. are you running this year?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Hess. Nice run yesterday - I do my LSRs at that pace a great deal of the time, but it still hurts!

Not planning Berko this year, and I can't remember much about it last year except that I went off too fast, there was some uphill stuff early on (but never too bad) and I think a steep downhill at the end (bad). So my advice would be - do it on the bike, probably image.

Wotsit - are you on Fetch? I never know how to find people on it unless they blog, post on the threads, or live down the road. I shall be honing my stalking technique over the next few weeks. I'll pop over there now, to see if there's an update on Lake's bits...........

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Nope, nothing reported today - hope it wasn't terminal, Lake...image.

But, blimey, Hess - you swim fast!

• Options

Joddly - I've done Berko 2 or 3 times, and yes mile 2-3 is nearly vertical (well it feels like it). That last mile is great if you've got a bit left in the tank, I think it was under 7 minutes for me last year. Would prefer to cycle it! but have deceided to cycle to Berko and then ride home afterwards its only about 7 miles each way

If we're all getting into this stalking malarky, I need to know Lake and Wotsit's  alter egos on Fetch.

Unfortunately Swimming makes up less than 10% of Ironman so I really wish I could bike or run fast! I used to swim at a reasonable level (20 years ago!) and the one thing about swimming is that most of it is technique. One of my training partners is also a swim coach, and she is very good. If you need some one to one lessons I can really recomend her, we train on a Thursday in St Albans, don't know if that is local for you Joddly?

Hope your bits are OK Lakeimage

• Options

I'm quite impressed (and flattered) at the interest in my bits.....in answer to the many queries, I've been wincing every time I sat down for the last three days, but I think my problems have finally scabbed over and so aren't quite so tender.   Thanks to all for your concern.

Just a couple of mile intervals for me tonight, as I'm doing a small taper before a 20m race on Sunday.  it'll be my last chance to check my progress before the marathon (39 days and counting).  Feeling pretty good, but it's always difficult to tell (I think).

My alter-ego on Fetch is....Lake...feel free to have a look Hess.  It's nothing too exciting, but I do get a strong feeling of satisfaction when I download each run, it's almost as if the run isn't done until I've logged it.  (I currently have a big wall planner in my kitchen to fill in, the program that came with my Garmin, and then download to Fetch - takes longer than my run sometimes!)

Hess - really impressed if you are doing 19m, at 9.20m/m and then can finish with a 8m/m last mile.  I usually don't have enough in the tank for a strong last mile, let alone anything like 8m/m.  Sounds like you're in good shape.  Good luck on Sunday.

Going to Fetch now to follow (stalk) Joddly.

P.s. Got a new pair of shoes today....Mizuno Wave inspire 6......always amazed how white they look next to the rest.  I've got 5 different pairs of trainers lined up in my study - my wife said I should throw most away but I'm saying "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

• Options

On the Paris marathon thread, someone posted this link, which gives a very different view of tapering before a marathon....interesting.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/marathon-training-planning-a-30-day-running-programme-702

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening all - where's this week going?

Glad to hear things are healing up, Lake - better make sure you're well-lubed on Sunday. Good luck - we're expecting an impressive time.

Hess - thanks for your suggestion re swimming lessons. I will think about it, and Snorbans isn't far away. I'm starting to get into my swing a bit with the swimming, now, though, and may just see how I go for a bit. Good luck on Sunday too. Are you going for  PB?

I've only just posted my training for this week on Fetch, and it's been a slow start so far. Legs are tired after a cycle-run-cycle journey home today, but planning 9M steady tomorrow, then the usual 5 on Sat and 20 on Sun.

Bed in a moment, I think.image

• Options

Afternoon all - and isn't it a lovely afternoon - sun shining at least, slightly biting cold, but you can't have everything.

I am pleased (and slightly proud) to announce I had a decent race this morning....my previous time for this hilly 20m was 2.53 and I was hoping for about 2.50.  I actually did it in 2.45, with an average of 8.11m/m (I was aiming for 8.30m/m) and I even did the last 3m under 8m/m, just 'cos Hess said he could.  I felt really in control all the way round, and although I pushed a bit at the end, I could have done another 6 if necessary.  V pleased with myself (if you can't tell).

Off now to make soap with my daughter (don't ask!)

Hess - how did you get on?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done, Lake! That's a cracking pace, and on a flat course you'd be talking less than 8 min miles... sounds a bit like sub-3.30 is on image!

And Hess did v well today - Berko is hilly, too and got another great time (I looked up the results - stalking againimage).

I just did another 20 miler training run - not in the same league, pace-wise, but a steady improvement on the last two, and after my first 60 mile bike yesterday, so I'm happy with that. Rather envious of everyone racing, though.