Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi all.

How's the recovery going? I can't tell any more as I've launched back into bike training and so the legs just feel "normally knackered"!

Had a long bike yesterday (62 + 25 with a 2 hr gap), and this morning drove miles just to swim in a lake. I'd sent myself into a panic at the weekend as I had spectacularly failed an attempt to swim in a tidal estuary in Devon (water temp about = 9 degrees, minutes swum = 1), and needed to prove I could do it. This morning's water temp was 12.8 and that made a massive difference. Managed a bit less than I mile, so my confidence is retored!

Feeling a bit rough now and my legs hurt - better go for a run, then.........

• Options

Joddly, 

I was in Devon at the weekend and totally failed to get more than a toe in the water.  It was freezing both in an out of the water.  I'm amazed you were brave enough to try and hope you had a nip of something to warm you up afterwards!

2 1/2 weeks til Edinburgh - just about to taper and my legs are telling me it is about time.

A

• Options

Hi guys

Recovery!

Had most of last week off, but still swam 2.5k on Thursday. Had a bit too much to drink on Saturday so Sundays Long ride was called off (it was really raining anyway). Did a 35 mile ride on Monday, and I have ridden a further 50 miles this week, so should be over the 100 miles for the week easily.

2 runs so far with a third planned tomorrow. All at around 9:00m/m About 7-8 miles each, and I am swimming 3k tonight!

That water temperature (9.5) is bloody cold Joddly, not surprised you managed 1 minute. 12.8 is a bit chilly (which lake are you using, liquid leisure at Datchet?), but not too bad. We are going next Sunday (will ride from Hemel, Swim 3 loops (about 2k i think) and then ride back. Should be home in time for a full englishimage.

My new bike is still in bits as more parts were damaged as a result of my crash than I thought. Hopefully will be up and running for the weekend. Have you been out and bought that new bike yet Joddly?

Enjoy Taper madness Annaruns Hope everything goes well for you.

Hess

• Options
    Oh god.....you all make me feel ill.
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Sorry, Lake image!

Anna, enjoy the taper. I think it's difficult to stay focused over the last couple of weeks, so end up at the start feeling like I forgot to do any training (just like exam time) - but for marathon distance, that's probably not such bad thing.

Hess - sorry the bike's still not up and running, I had assumed it would be  all systems go by now. Yes, it was Datchet yesterday, and it all seemed quite fun. That may just have been my relief at being able to swim at all, though.

And also yes about the bike - it's ordered and should arrive fairly soon, but may well not be ready for Swashbuckling which is now only 2 weeks away. I really do have a lot of catching up to do on the bike - I can still feel Wednesday's ride heavily in my legs, and it shouldn't have had that much effect.

That ride to Datchet sounds a good strategy - how far will it be? Can't remember if I mentioned I'm doing the Outlaw training day on 16th. It should be a good chance for a recce and I shall of course be reporting back fully.

I'm potentially biking to the pool and running later today with R, legs permitting....

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Bike update!

The shop rang earlier, and it's there, so we're going to pick it up tomorrow!!image

• Options

Hi guys

How's the Taper Anna, bet you're itching to go now?

New bikeimageimageimageimage what's it like Joddly, we need a full review and photos if possible. 

My new bike is fixed now took it out yesterday , and it seems to be OK. Couple of rides planned this week so will see how it develops.

Will be swimming at Datchet on Sunday, I think its about 25 miles each way, and i was planning a 2k swim, hopefully the weather will be a bit better than last week. Will need all the info you can get regarding Outlaw, as the first time I will see the course will be race weekend

imageJust under 11 hours training last week. Really pleased with my efforts

I have started run walking in preparation for the Ironman marathon, as I think running 26 miles after everything else is highly unlikely! I'm running for 15 mins with 5 mins fast walking, and I'm averaging around 9:15 - 9:30 miles so not bad. Would be great to do the marathon element in under 5 hours! (but i think 5:30 is probably more realistic, but we'll see

Anyway train/ rest well guys

Hess

• Options

yup....you're still making me feel ill.

Tooooo much hard work by the sounds of it.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Lake, you've gotta try it! The training has been such a great learning experience that even if the day itself is a disaster, it will have been well worth it.

Great to hear the bike's back in action now, Hess. I don't think I'd relish the idea of lugging wetsuit, towel etc for 50 miles on the bike, but it's all good training.

I'd planned to go to Datchet this morning (in the car!) but woke up feeling crap so decided against it. Also had a long ride planned - think I'll do a shortened version of it gently, as it's a loop that I hope will form a decent training circuit and I need to start doing rides as training rather than just pottering along. If I measure it out today, I can start scheduling in proper training rides.

Might as well go now, I s'pose.

• Options

Reading your super active posts makes me feel I should be doing something. 

I've got a rest day today and my legs aren't screaming for it  - the taper is working.  I've got my number for Edinburgh and my chip so it's all feeling a bit real.  Despite having a bit of a cold I am looking forward to it. 

I'm booked on BA flights and the dates are the same as the planned strike but I've managed to rearrange them at no cost which was a bit of a relief.  I've got a couple of massages planned and have even managed to arrange a night away without the kids this weekend to get a proper rest.  Now that is worth running a marathon for.......

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Don't feel you should be doing something - you've earned your taper and rest day! You also need to let yourself recover from your cold, so you'll be on top form next weekend image.

Hess - I'm keeping an eye on your training on Fetch, so there's to be no slacking this weekend image!

The new bike's fantastic. I'm still, er, settling in as far as the saddle goes, but it really does make a huge difference. I'd thought that the stuff about carbon frames absorbing the roughness of the road would be a subtle thing that only experts would notice - but it makes a huge difference. For some reason I keep wanting to stand up on the pedals (not just because of the new saddle.....) - it just feels so responsive and light. I'll need to work hard on pacing as I'm tending to go off too fast. I did a single loop of my planned ride today, at just over 17mph (v flat), but I couldn't have done one more let alone two at that pace. Plenty of time......image

• Options

Good luck at the weekend Anna image

Nice bike, Joddly image  Wickett seems to have forgotten about buying a new one (in amongst the change of government, which is worrying his industry more than a little at the moment) and I'm diverting the money into the new bathroom.  

Hope everyone is well?  My running is coming on in leaps and bounds - 6.24m on Monday, shorter runs getting faster all the time.  I've even had to conceede defeat and start thinking about my longer term running plans, now it looks like I'm almost a real runner again - so I have a place for Brighton Marathon image  Aim is for a sneaky sub 2 HM in the autumn, ahead of my sub 4.30 at Brighton or London.

Oooh - and I met up with Nick Anderson at the weekend.  He was delighted to hear Dan's thread is still going strong!  He was doing an adidas coaching day at my local running & tri shop.  Seemed like a brilliant event and I'd really recommend it if anyone else spots one locally.  He's a good one for getting you fired up for racing!

• Options

Thank you Wotsit!  I am very excited about the weekend - threats of hot weather, ash and BA strikes are not going to stop me in my stride. 

I've just pulled out my favourite hot weather racing shorts which have been 'resting' all winter - I'd obviously washed them with some jelly babies in the pocket as they were a bit on the rock hard side - that's why you get your kit ready in advance eh!

I train with Nick's company - Full Potential - and I've done one off their Adidas Coaching Days and also ran the Florence Marathon with them.  I can honestly say that Nick's motivational speech pre race was totally responsible for me having a good race.  The training day was excellent too.

I'm glad you are running again Wotsit - just having a week of light running for the taper is feeling very odd.  I got a bit enthusiastic on the kids' Wii last night which was clearly a running replacement activity.

Happy cycling, running, swimming everyone.  Is the water warming up?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Great to hear your back running well Wotsit.. It sounds as though you've got a great plan that should give you a safe, steady build-up to next Spring.

Anna - good luck at the weekend. No more Wii-ing, please! It counts as cross-training, and that's not allowed at this stage image. Hope it all goes well and looking forward to the report.

Hess - how's the wobble?

The water had better be warming up as I'm racing on Sunday, too, in my first ever Tri. Actually, I won't be racing but will be aiming to enjoy myself and not get pulled out before the swim and bike cut-off times!

• Options

Evening all. Sounds like we are due a couple of race reports so come on ladies cough up!

Great to see you are back up running again Wotsit, must be good to be back out there again

Wobble has gone (at least temporarily) Joddly, managed a good weeks training with 2x25  miles (B) and a 1500m swim this morning. All before 09:30!!

Hope everyone is well, looking forward to your reportsimage

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening.

I've done a bit of a report on the Swashbuckler thread. However the headlines are as follows;

Had a fantastic day and did better than I ever imagined! The swim was tough to start as it was into a strong current, so I literally was going backwards in the chaos of the first two minutes. The water was warm, though, and I settled quite soon and actually enjoyed it.

The bike course was lovely - through the New Forest, on flat roads with great surfaces, and having worried about a 3.30 cut-off I was through in 2.42 (only 50 miles, though).

The run was the toughest bit, especially after a comedy T2. The sun was getting hot by then (after 10 am) and the last 4-5 miles pretty painful and rough, but I got round the 14 miles in 1.56, so pleased with that too!

To cap the day off, I was presented with an award for 3rd LV45 - it was too good to be true, though, as when the results came out last night I saw I was fourth, so I emailed them today and will post it back!

On a very sad note, though, one competitor collapsed and died on the run - he'd done a couple of ironmans in the past. At least he was doing something he obviously loved doing. I have been thinking about him a lot, and really hope he was enjoying the race as much as I did.

That's all from me now. I hope Anna had a great run at the weekend, and will be getting back down to training in a day or so. Night all .

• Options

Morning all

Great race report Joddly, though very sobering about the guy that died....brings it all into perspective really, about how much we're pushing ourselves.

Sounds like you had a great day, and some strong times....14m in 1.56 at  the end seems bleeding quick to me!  Especially in the heat!

Hess - good to hear you're back up & cycling.  I seem to be seeing people on roadbikes everywhere now...it's obviously the season for it. 

Wotsit - also good to hear you're back up & running.  I've also got a place in Brighton next year, so I'll see you there!

Annaruns - how did you get on??

And lastly, after a few weeks off, I'm getting my head round training for my 50m ultra in July.  My training plan is fairly simple...lots of running.  I'm quite enjoying not fussing about pace, just distance.  So I did  a15m on Sunday, and then another one this morning.  Very slowly (about 10m/m) but quite a different experience to keep focused over the time.

P.s. Joddly - if I had been presented with an award incorrectly, I would definately not send it back!  It's yours!  Or if I did send it back, I'd buy myself a replacement (but bigger) and get it engraved (saying I was first).  Can you give us any highlights of your accepatance speech?

• Options

Lake - the bestest bit about running an ultra is being able to let go of your pace.  Oh and eating real food on the run.  I recommend cups of tea, packets of crisps, flapjack (or trail mix - I have an excellent recipe) hot cross buns and mini cheddars.  Much more enjoyable than this energy gel guff!

Joddly - congratulations!  Oh and a win is a win.  I'd be hanging on to that trophy!

You're right, always sobering to hear someone has died whilst racing.  Not my personal choice of ways to go (I'd be in heaven going "Nooo... I haven't finished... what about my medal...?") but given the huge age demographic of people who are now running/tri-ing etc its bound to happen at some time?  My brother in law lost a friend on the football pitch a few months ago, literally and rather horrifyingly.  Aged 27, doing exactly what he'd done all his life.

You'll be glad to hear that my new bathroom is nearly finised image  And that Wickett has borrowed a TT bike for IMDE.  A perfect solution.

• Options

Well done Joddly getting a bit nervous of doing the Outlaw with you now. Will you be going for the win?

I've not done an ultra but in training for the IM I am introducing run walk into my long training runs. I met up with another forumite a few years back at a marathon, and she said on all her Ultras she ran walked. I must say I'm finding that overall I can maintain 09:30 - 10:00 m/m without too much trouble.

Never nice to hear about a death during a race. I did read one of the guys close friends comments on the club site, and he was very much advocating people getting back out there and doing it, as it was how he lived his life.

Have a great weekend all.

PS. come on Anna where is the report

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

My race plan, Hess, is to sneak up on you during the day and surge past you on the run, somewhere during the last circuit of the lake . Is that OK?imageimage

My legs hurt today - I wonder how many years it will take to build proper bike legs?

Lake, and ultra in July sounds horriffic. How many miles a week will you be doing in training?

Wotsit - thrilling news about the bathroom! Will there be pictures?

And, Anna - what news?

• Options

I don't think it will be as late as that. i might just pip you in the swim, but think it will be all over out of T1

Read the Tritalk report on the race, and it sounds like its going to be really well organised. I'd like to say i can't wait, but its only just over 2 months nowimage

Big cycle week for me coming up. I'm planning on 50+ miles Sunday, with a 2 hour ride on Tuesday followed by a 2 hour run. The the big one next Monday, when I'm going to cycle back from the family break at center parcs (elvedon) 80 miles

Wotsit -  have been posting with Wickett regarding Planet X TT bikes Sorry may have given a bit of a misleading price guide (Have corrected my misgivings) Hope it doesn't affect completion of the kitchen!!! 

If its any consolation my legs hurt after 13 miles on the bike today!

• Options

Hess - you better not be giving him ideas! image

Though I am a sensible wife.  He knows not where the money is hidden. image

• Options

If my wife had any money hidden away, why does she keep spending so much on the credit card?

Just back from a almost enjoyable 20m.  Then a cold bath, hot shower and I'm ready to cook sunday lunch.  I've got a half marathon tomorrow, but I'm going to take it fairly easy, and then not push too much for the rest of the week.  I'm thinking about trying a 30m next Sunday, taking a bit of food along etc...it'll be like having a picnic, on the run.  Mmmmm, flapjack!

Sounds like the training is going well for the ironpeople amongst us (see how pc I am).  I'm impressed at the amount of time you're finding to train, not sure I could commit to that.

Hess - I'm going to Elveden in July.  I think I'll probably drive back though.

Joddly - yes, an ultra in July does sound horiffic.  But not as bad as an Ironman in August.  I'll take my poison over yours anyday.

Wotsit - it may be a male thing, but I'm not getting very excited over the bathroom thing, sorry.   But oooooh, Planet X bikes......I've just googled them.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    It's only a matter of time, Lake. Get this Ultra thing out of your system, then you can start training on your new Planet X..............image
  • Options

Another 20m today....legs don't feel that bad considering.  First 13m was the Dover half, which I did in  a whisker under 2hrs, then a rather slower 7m.  Now for a moster spag bol.

I tried eating 'solid' food while running....4 choc digestives at 14m.  Surprisingly difficult, but yummy.

• Options

OK I take it back, my legs hurt alot yesterday.  Aches and twinges in all new places.

Just completed 11m, and the first two were like running in treacle, wincing with every step.  Ouch

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Lake - how can we stalk you if you don't keep logging on Fetch?image Hope you're recovered from your aches and twinges.

I seem to be on a roll at the moment. Yesterday got a cup for first female vet at a local half marathon (waiting for the 'phone call to say that was a mistake....), and today got a time inside the "gold" standard for a 70 mile sportive, which in some ways I'm just as pleased about as I'm such a cycling newbie.

I don't imagine it'll last beyond this weekend, but it has been fun - and knackering!

Hope you're training's going well, Hess - 9 weeks today image!

• Options

OK OK all up to date on Fetch now....

Sounds like your going great Joddly - 9 weeks isn't that far really.

Did my 30m on Sunday....wow, really hurt.  Ended up running for 5.20hr in the end, so obviously very slow (which was OK) and tried run/walking for the last 10m or so.  Biggest problem I had was that I was wearing a rucksack, which I'd worn before with no problems, but over the course of the run slowly shredded my shoulders.  I had no need to worry about my legs when my shoulders were hurting so much.  Still, it's over now, and lesson learned.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Lake, we don't want you falling to bits before the event itself. Take care, now!image