Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Right Said Aouita (3:45)

Comments

• Options

That's very impressive Lake, I don't think that's slow at all, sounds fairly rapid to me for that sort of distance

Heavy week last week for me, with three rest days at Center parcs, and then the 90 mile ride home, The ride went fairly well, although i snapped a spoke at 20 miles and had to cycle the rest on a slightly wobbly rear wheel to say the least!!!

Not sure if I could've run a mara afterwards though, but as Joddly says still got 9 weeks! image

Had a day off yesterday, back to the running today, and then 50 miles and an OW swim, assuming I can get the rear wheel fixed on Sunday

Good luck all. Never got a race report from Anna

• Options

Lake - battling the chafing is one of the biggest challenges when you're out for as long as 5:20.  Have you got any bodyglide?  Wickett and I were most liberally coated when we did our ultra last summer.  You really test out your kit choices on those distances too- and sweat makes chafing worse as you end up with salt crystals everywhere.

Blimey Joddly - gold standard is very impressive! 

Hess - it'll all come together.  9 weeks eh?  Ooooh!

Is anyone at bala this weekend?  Wickett is racing and I am cheering.  I like this bit best! image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Bala does sound like a great party - wish I was going. Have a great time, and good luck to Wickett.

Congrats on the 90 miles Hess, and I hope you get your wheel fixed soon.

Just a shabby 7 mile run and 1k swim so far this week for me. Better buck up for the rest of the week image.

• Options

Morning all

Just got in from a soggy 12m, I do like not having to worry about pace any more - my slow-twitch muscles are developing, and my fast-twitch muscles are turning to mush. 

I've just checked out Joddly & Hess training on Fetch - wow, serious mileage being done.  I am majorly in awe of you guys.  How do you find the time?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't actually do the training, I just make up what sounds respectable and enjoy playing with the numbers on Fetch image.
  • Options

I thought that was just me.

Another 30m for me this morning.  Went quite well....took about 4.50 in the end, but that included a few stops.  Cold bath, hot shower, and just back from crab fishing with the kids.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done on both the run and on doing something afterwards image.

I've just done my first 100 miler (ended up being 112, conveniently IM distance), and I'm totally wasted for the day!

• Options

Good efforts all round

Just 50 miles (on the bike) for me yesterday, but quite a big week training wise this week so hopefully will be fairly well rested for the rest of the week.

Lake - could you not have had the cold bath with the crabs in the sea, and killed two birds with one stone?image

My training buddies are all out in France cycling up mountainsimage So quite glad I'm safe in the foothills of the Chilterns

Have a good week everyone (8 weeks Joddly!!!!!)

• Options

Hellloooooooooooooooooooooo???

I'm just checking in after 2 weeks off running, and I think everyone's disappeared. 

Perhaps you're hiding?

• Options

Work has been a bit of a nightmare the last week or so. I have really struggled to log in

Hope you are all OK

I have had an enforced 3 days off this week, after (I think) overcooking it at the weekend. I ran for 1:30 on Saturday night, and then did a 4 hour bike session on Sunday at 05:30! followed by swimming with the kids. Funnily enough I didn't feel to great on Sunday, and it took until yesterday to feel anything like normal

I think its 5 weeks Sunday Joddlyimage

• Options

Went out for a routine 6m this morning by the sea, at about 8.30.  It was so glorious I had to stop and paddle at 2m and then walk back with the dog.   I think i need some ice & rain.

• Options

uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg

.....the sound of an old thread fading away.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I was thinking about you today, Lake. When's your ultra? It must be time for you to taper - or don't you do that?

Hess - it's being able to recognise when to back off training that gets you to the start line in the best shape possible (listen to me - the expert image!) Four weeks now......

Tomorrow should be 90min bike followed by 17M run, but these kinds of sessions wipe me out a bit.

• Options

Oooh - 4 weeks eh?  Getting closer....

Top tip for race day from my IMDE experience.  Decide how you want to finish your race and make sure those involved know what you'll be doing.  Otherwise as you steam down the finishers chute and your wife passes you the children over, for you to run down through the tape with them as a team and you say 'no' because the organisers have told you no kids through the finish, even though every other person is doing it, and steam on past them all there might be some bad feeling...

Otherwise 12:06 for a non-wetsuit swim in 29 deg and with an extended bike course was rather marvellous.  I suspect no more ironman comps in my house.

Happy training all image  I have beer and am on holiday, so am thoroughly enjoying myself.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Wotsit - you've suddenly developed a deep voice....image! Congratulations on a fantastic time, Wickett!

I hope no-one passes the kids to me as the youngest is 6 foot 3, so he could cramp my style a bit image. only 3 and a half weeks to go, though Last Big Bike and the Last Long Run still lie ahead in the next few days (LBB tomorrow, LLR Sunday). Then, we're talking TAPER.....!

• Options

Good luck again all!

Finished my ultra on Sunday......52.4m in 10.28hr.  Very very tough, not helped by rough terrain (alot of it along one side of a pair of tyre tracks), and actually stopping to take my shoe off at about 38m to see if I had a stone in it.....only to find some monstrous blisters....and then having to put my shoes & socks back on and carry on.

After yesterday swearing (genuinely) that I would never run again, I'm now working out whether I'd be able to do 100m in 24 hrs.  My wife is not happy.

Have a great taper Joddly & wotsit.....I'll be thinking of you.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done, Lake!

Nasty mile 38 moment - your wife is probably not happy because she's realised she married a nutcaseimage!

Why not give your feet a break and do some cycling and swimming for a bit?

Hess, if you're out there, I hope you're enjoying something of a taper. I was mightily relieved to get the last two long sessions out of the way. 19 days..............image

• Options

Evening all

Well done Lake, but sounds painful

Work has really conspired against me over the last month, so training has really taken a back seat. I've managed to do it, but not the volume and quality I was hoping for. i know I have the swim and bike in me, but its what happens on the run that is worrying me.

Joddly - Taper started at the weekend for me (because of the above) although I still have a3 hour bike session on my programme for Sunday (Some taper! Although I suppose nowadays 3 hours is just a little spinimage)

Hope to see you in a week or so. Should be posting over the next few days, as work has calmed down a bit

Rest/Taper or train well whatever you are doing

Hess

• Options

Happy final week, ironpeeps!

I shall be a pom-pom waving at the weekend, so if you could let me know what you'll be wearing & your race numbers, I'd love to be able to shriek abuse/motivational strategies in your direction.

Anyone for cake?  You really should be carb loading about now.

• Options
    Taper taper taper............how exciting!image
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi all - not sure what to make of this tapering. I don't feel I know what I'm doing and keep feeling I'm doing too much or too little, whereas my marathon taper is fully refined. Guess I'll find out on Sunday if I've got it about right.

Sorry your training hasn't gone too well recently, Hess. I did notice a while back, while stalking you, that you didn't seem to have posted much training on Fetch image.

Fantastic that you'll be there next weekend, Wotsit image!

I'll be Pirated up, possibly even with yellow and black stripy arm warmers (socks with the end cut off...), and number 875. I'm mostly feeling positive, but some DNFs at Roth and IMUK, and generally thinking too much about the million things that could go wrong, scare me witless some of the time....

• Options

Have managed the training generally, just not had time to log it all. As you say Joddly there are a million and one things that can go wrong on the day, but the main thing is getting to the startt line healthy, and we're nearly there now

I'm 288 travelling up today and staying at the Jurys Inn hotel in nottingham. Will probably register this afternoon, and then check in all my kit tomorrow

Good luck Joddly (Hope to see you there), and if you see my kids on the course (They have a big yellow (of course!) Go Dad Go banner) give them a chear back or a Hi 5.

Thanks for the support Wotsit

Hess

• Options
    Oooh, brilliant.  So much easier when everyone is be-pirated.  I'm quite good at identifying a pirate in a crowd now.  I shall bring my camera.  Do remember to smile image
  • Options
    Wow! It's almost here! Massive good luck to you both. I'll be thinking of you. And give those pompoms a shake for me wotsit.

I'm already looking forward to the pictures
  • Options
    The suspense is killing me...........................
  • Options
    Ooooh - they were brilliant!   I'll let them tell you though, so you'll have to stay in suspense. image
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs205.snc4/38569_418342631370_557021370_5332617_72622_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs208.snc4/38744_418342691370_557021370_5332624_4230443_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs093.ash2/38005_418342926370_557021370_5332650_769200_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs130.ash2/39849_418343161370_557021370_5332677_4886343_n.jpg

Well done  Hess and Joddly - it was a joy watching you!  Especially once I'd realised that I hadn't, in fact, missed Hess at all, but had been merrily taking photos for half the race which meant he was neither drowned in the lake nor stuck on a motorway, unable to get there.  A worrier?  Me?  Pah.
  • Options

Sorry

Work is still a nightmare so have had no time to post since getting back from Nottingham

I am going to write a full report on the Outlaw thread but in summary

Swam a bit , cycled a bit, ran a bit and finished in 12:55:06 not as quick as Joddly but she really can run!! I would suggest that the last 15 miles were more of a shuffle than a run, but I loved every minute of it.

Wotsit thanks for the support and the photos look great

Lake Thanks for the positive thoughts

Joddly Great to meet at last, don't think I'll be quicker than you any time soon really impressive you looked so strong on the run

Lets try and keep the thread going its been good to keep in touch

Hess

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Oh blimey - sorry I've taken so long to get back here  - we went off on hols the day after getting back from Nottingham, so I just had time to post my report (on the Outlaw entries thread) before going. We have been without the internet, which I felt was probably good for my RW forum habit!

It was fantastic to meet Hess and Wotsit at last, and well done to us all. I had a great day until the run, and even that started pretty well, though the second half felt like a crawl.

I felt far too good in the days following the race - hardly any stiffness, which makes me think I didn't push hard enough..... so already starting to think about a campaign for next year image.

Great photos, Wotsit - must have been early on in the run as I'm in the air!

So, what's next, team?

Abingdon and I guess VLM for me, running-wise. Hopefully another sportive or two to come this year, and an attempt to keep building (or at least avoid losing) bike fitness over the winter. Then it's looking a bit like Outlaw may be on the cards again, maybe Swashbuckler too as R may have a go, and possibly even a family team if Henley IM turns into a reality. The possibilities are endless......

Keep in touch, friends image.

• Options

Joddly

you are famous!!! just watched the Outlaw on Sky and you are on the opening montage and closing montage.

Wish I'd kept up with the mincing and finished with Kanga as he got some great coverage.

If you don't have sky you can catch it on You Tube (until sky pull it!)