Options

Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

I feel so inspired today by watching the London marathon: the crowds, the runners, and the stories behind every one.  The father running for his son, the daughter running for her mother, recently passed away, the hospices, the cancer that blights people's lives and the joy, triumph and courage that comes out of such hardship.

I really want to run it now.  I don't know if I will get there but I really, really want to try.  Does anyone else want to have a go with me?

The new London website to sign up with starts tomorrow, and I want to enter...

Shall we?

Comments

• Options

Hi !

I'm going to enter tomorrow ( well try to !) and hope I get a place ..... did look at the charity places but don't want the added pressure of having to raise at least £1600.....

Let's do it !

K

• Options
    3rd year application through the ballot tomorrow image
  • Options
    Someone said it will be live at midnight not 9am?
  • Options

I completely agree, I found it so heartwarming, I was nearly moved to tears (I know it's pathetic but I'm not joking image)

I'm really tempted to sign up as well...

• Options
    The BBC said the site will be live from midnight but the entries wont be open till 9am
  • Options

Wow, that was quick!

FF - My brother raised 25K for Macmillan the year he did it so I know what you mean about pressure, but let's wait and see what the ballot offers.

Miss Knees - best of luck.  How impressive to keep trying.  Have you run them before then?

Lorenzo - Let's have a go.  As for being moved to tears being pathetic, not at all.  Some of those stories are just amazing..

Jay - I heard that too..  I will be teaching then, but will try and get on as soon as I can!

• Options
    i've decided to sign up tomorrow, I'll let fate decide whether i'll be running next year... image
  • Options
    I'm game if you are!  Just going to find the site now!  (sure I won't get in so have that to comfort me!)
  • Options
    Can anyone get into the site at the moment? I am trying to sign up but the pages aren't loading...dohimage
  • Options
    Nope can't get in either.
  • Options

I managed to enter just over an hour ago.

I also found it quite moving watching, not the stories, but the actual experience itself.  I could feel their pain, as I know how I feel on my long runs or towards the end of a Half!

• Options
    The site is currently being hammered to buggery.
  • Options
    agggggggh site so slow! so frustrating!! i wanna sign up i wanna sign up!!!
  • Options
    Two steps forwards...four steps back....I got in then it CRASHED!
  • Options

I spent the whole day up there choking back tears so I definitley want to do it but I can't get on the site so frustrating!!!

• Options

Has anyone actually managed to get on yet?

• Options
    Just getting a message that the website is down now- i'll try tomorrow or pick a really random time to set my alarm before my early on wednesday when hopefully noone else will be trying to get on!
  • Options

Hello all

Just got my name in the ballot so fingers crossed ........

How difficult do you think it is to reach the charity place targets?  If I got a ballot place, unlikely I know, I'd do some fundraising anyway - I figure that the first (and possibly only) time I run that far should be a good enough reason to tap people for a good cause.  Not sure I want to apply for a golden bond place and have pressure of raising a HUGE amount if unsuccessful in ballot  - what do you think?

Or ........ could sign up for Edinburgh and fundraise on myown for that.....

• Options

Slowsnail how did u get on website; it still gives me red page saying its down???!!!

• Options
    Sorry, that 'just got....' was inadvertently misleading as I'd been out in the meantime.  I snuck in at 1.30pm today, after 5 1/2 hours pressing refresh, just before the red page started up........ Very frustrating morning all round.  I believe the site should be up again later on - maybe try late evening when everyone else has given up for the night?  Good Luck (with website and ballot in October!)
  • Options
    Managed to get on and register last night- think i'll try and forget about it now until october! Have been looking into charities too.....
  • Options

Like you Blythespirit I too was moved so much this year, especially the wonderful brave man I saw being interviewed and when asked who he knew who had been touched by cancer he said himself, he was terminally ill, my god what an inspiration he is and I send him so much love and thank him for being such an inspiration, I would love to know how he got on but will probably never know as I did not know his name, anyway something clicked and after saying for years I would never run a marathon have now entered the ballot, so its wait and see.   Good luck to all who have entered the ballot I hope you get your dream. 

• Options

Slowsnail - I want to go for the charity ones if I can't get it..Just signed up for the ballot myself, and felt quite guilty on the donation question - That's new isn't it?

My brother ran for Macmillan a couple of years ago and raised 25k for them...Makes me worried about asking our joint friends though!

Well done everyone for getting on the site!  I have just signed up myself, and felt a real frisson when I got the thank you button...

HURRAH!!

So where do we start? I can't do a stair landing without getting puffed!

Blithe

• Options

In Answer to your question, Yes you can, I was 24 and a half stone in Jan 08, 11 stone later, i'm running my first marathon in Edinburgh, and I cannot wait, want to do london next year, first few months are about slowly improving your fitness, set yourself a distance and see how long it takes you to do it, i started 5km's on treadmills which to start with were taking 45 minutes, once i found it getting easier i started to aim to knock minutes of my time, now i can run 5k in around 22 and a half minutes. which i never thought i'd do a while back. GOod Luck on your mission to run in 2010

• Options

To also answer your question, yes you can. I was 17st, started running and got down to under 12st then ran FLM in 2007 and 2008, missed this year as I didn't get through the ballot or get a GB but I'll do a mara later this year and enter for 2010 VLM.

5mile PB is 42:00

10k PB is 50:10.

Half mara in 1:59:12

Mara in 4:41:34

This from a bloke who wouldn't have dared dream about even jogging to the shops 4 years ago!And I've graced the pages of RW, had a feature about me and how I was doing. image

• Options

Panic: thats really impressive stuff!  I started running in January this year and was 16stone currently weigh 13.5 stone and am aiming for 12 - 12.5 Stone. 

Weight loss was my original goal but now the goa has shifted to taking part in running events and getting fitter / stronger / faster.  Amazing how running has really got me motivated into being active again!

• Options
    Have entered ballot but in the meantime have signed up to the Beachy Head Marathon in October  2009for a long walk. Your achievement is amazing!
  • Options

Wow - so many of your stories are inspirational! Just have to get out there and get walking.  I am determined not to do anything too quickly - like THAT's going to be my problem!

• Options

Mind if I join in? Lapsed runner (too many injuries!), become a bit of a couch potato, but still miss the enjoyment of running.Watched London on Sunday while bashing out jogging laps around the island on the nintendo wii fit, running 'on the spot' using a mini trampoline. If you've never tried the wii fit, I can reccomend it highly.

Anyway, managed to get my entry in (after suffering the usual site crashing experience that most of you describe!)

Panic - my pb's (apart from the marathon one) are very similar to yours. Hoping to get close to some of them this year. 'Pencilled in' targets are the Cabbage Patch 10 in October and Gosport or Barns Green halves.

WWM - Beachy Head is not far from me. Bit of a monster, that one!

• Options

Ooh can I join in too?  I've set myself the target of running a marathon before I get married, which is in June 2010.  Mainly to prove to my fiance that I can do it, as he laughed when I said I was going to do a half...

I managed to get in to the VLM ballot late on Tuesday night, so here's hoping.  Still in two minds about charity places, I ticked a few charities on the relevant page asking them to get in touch with me, but if the targets are astronomical I'd feel bad pestering all my friends and family!  In the very likely event that I do get rejected by London, I'll be entering for Paris which is at the beginning of April.

Injury permitting (not allowed to run at the moment) I'll be entering the Bristol Half in September so that should give me an idea of whether my marathon taget is crazy!